ADVERTISEMENT

A big oooff for Iowa football

Kaydn Proctor, after getting NIL from
Iowa’s collective and welcomed back to Iowa after spurning them for Bama - is going back to Bama.

Brutal. Karma for booing injured players I guess

I have wondered if NIL contracts would specify that there would be large damages if there was a transfer during the NIL period. If they are not in the contracts, they should be. This is a business now and should be treated as such by both the player and the college.

Kid sounds like a real shitheel - even caused Iowa to self-report a violation when he flipped in January (and this after flipping to Bama in the first place right before signing day)

While attending an Iowa basketball game this past season, Proctor professed his love for the school, mentioning that he was coming home.

"It's home, I love home. This is ultimately where I wanted to be," Proctor proclaimed. "It's the first place I thought of when I entered the transfer portal. So, I had my mind made up when I entered the transfer portal."

The Iowa football staff had kept up with Proctor while he was at Alabama, with recruiting director Tyler Barnes texting the offensive lineman after a tough outing against Texas last season. When Kadyn referenced his communication with the Iowa staff, it led to the Hawkeyes having to self-report an NCAA Level III violation.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Kid sounds like a real shitheel - even caused Iowa to self-report a violation when he flipped in January (and this after flipping to Bama in the first place right before signing day)

While attending an Iowa basketball game this past season, Proctor professed his love for the school, mentioning that he was coming home.

"It's home, I love home. This is ultimately where I wanted to be," Proctor proclaimed. "It's the first place I thought of when I entered the transfer portal. So, I had my mind made up when I entered the transfer portal."

The Iowa football staff had kept up with Proctor while he was at Alabama, with recruiting director Tyler Barnes texting the offensive lineman after a tough outing against Texas last season. When Kadyn referenced his communication with the Iowa staff, it led to the Hawkeyes having to self-report an NCAA Level III violation.
Bwahaha..
Don't you just love it...Iowa, nothing but class acts.

I have wondered if NIL contracts would specify that there would be large damages if there was a transfer during the NIL period. If they are not in the contracts, they should be. This is a business now and should be treated as such by both the player and the college.

Technically they can’t be tied to enrollment, no?

So Iowa wasn’t going to self report until the player mentioned it and Iowa was forced to? ;)

Technically they can’t be tied to enrollment, no?
Interesting question, I don't know the answer to. On my end, I don't know why not, but I am not versed in this. However, a reasonably clever lawyer ought to be able to put in penal provisions of the NIL that would make it very difficult to leave. I would start with a liquidated damages clause.

Reactions: step.eng69
Interesting question, I don't know the answer to. On my end, I don't know why not, but I am not versed in this. However, a reasonably clever lawyer ought to be able to put in penal provisions of the NIL that would make it very difficult to leave. I would start with a liquidated damages clause.

That's like the one rule. It can't be contingent on enrollment since this isn't "pay to play" (laughable).

I think the workaround was said to be contractual obligations that would be impossible to meet if you weren't enrolled. IE 1 Autograph session for 10 minutes per week at XYZ car dealership in Iowa City during the season. Hard to do that from Tuscaloosa.

"Most critically for those highly recruited high school athletes, the NCAA’s Interim NIL Policy prohibits NIL being used as an “improper recruiting inducement,” meaning any NIL deal that is contingent on enrollment at a particular NCAA school is prohibited."

That's like the one rule. It can't be contingent on enrollment since this isn't "pay to play" (laughable).

I think the workaround was said to be contractual obligations that would be impossible to meet if you weren't enrolled. IE 1 Autograph session for 10 minutes per week at XYZ car dealership in Iowa City during the season. Hard to do that from Tuscaloosa.

"Most critically for those highly recruited high school athletes, the NCAA’s Interim NIL Policy prohibits NIL being used as an “improper recruiting inducement,” meaning any NIL deal that is contingent on enrollment at a particular NCAA school is prohibited."
Maybe someone clever can write up a large bonus at the end of the NIL that is functionally equivalent to requiring the player to stay with a particular school.

That would be illegal. We all know that NIL is being used as pay for play or pay for enrollment. But since that's against the rules, any contracts wouldn't include those stipulations as it would put a clear NCAA violation in writing. These recruits have all the leverage in the world right now and can complete screw over those issuing the NIL payments. Proctor probably received at least of a portion of his "NIL" payments just for enrolling, and now he likely has collected some additional "NIL"' payments for enrolling back at Bama. Under the current rules the kids with no ethical standards can play this game all day and just transfer around at will, collecting money with every transfer. The schools and NIL collectives can't do a damn thing about it because the second they put enrollment or playing time contingencies in the contracts the athletes can blow the whistle on them and get the NCAA to issue sanctions. It's a perfect example of how FUBAR'd the current state of the sport is.

Maybe someone clever can write up a large bonus at the end of the NIL that is functionally equivalent to requiring the player to stay with a particular school.
I believe you can do something similar. For example, if the NIL payer is a local car dealership and the player moves out of town. It doesn't make sense that a player playing for Alabama would be used for NIL in Iowa. The NIL value is lost. So I am pretty sure that the NIL is based on the player's NIL remaining valuable to the payer over a period of time. If the kid moves out, the contract is broken and nobody owes anything from that point forward.

I believe you can do something similar. For example, if the NIL payer is a local car dealership and the player moves out of town. It doesn't make sense that a player playing for Alabama would be used for NIL in Iowa. The NIL value is lost. So I am pretty sure that the NIL is based on the player's NIL remaining valuable to the payer over a period of time. If the kid moves out, the contract is broken and nobody owes anything from that point forward.
All I know is that we need a new entity overseeing college athletics asafp. You can guess the f. The NCAA needs to be overthrown.

Reactions: PSUSignore
All I know is that we need a new entity overseeing college athletics asafp. You can guess the f. The NCAA needs to be overthrown.
yep. Well, IMHO, the NCAA is either unwilling or incapable of controlling this. It will take the players creating a collective (AKA, unionize) and negotiating a collective bargaining agreement. The challenge is that the real football powers are pretty rare. So you've really got about 50 college football teams that are in the hunt and money makers. I suspect that is why the B1G and SEC met a few weeks back. I suspect that there is talk of an independent football organization that will abandon the NCAA and move on. But there is so much legal groundwork to disentangle.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
yep. Well, IMHO, the NCAA is either unwilling or incapable of controlling this. It will take the players creating a collective (AKA, unionize) and negotiating a collective bargaining agreement. The challenge is that the real football powers are pretty rare. So you've really got about 50 college football teams that are in the hunt and money makers. I suspect that is why the B1G and SEC met a few weeks back. I suspect that there is talk of an independent football organization that will abandon the NCAA and move on. But there is so much legal groundwork to disentangle.

Any attempts to control it by the ncaa are met with lawsuits for restrictions on trade. Whole house of cards is going to crumble once they unionize. They’re not university employees and the nil payments don’t come from the school. Unionizing, demanding payment from the university along with benefits etc is an entirely different matter. Going to hurt a lot more athletes than it helps.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Any attempts to control it by the ncaa are met with lawsuits for restrictions on trade. Whole house of cards is going to crumble once they unionize. They’re not university employees and the nil payments don’t come from the school. Unionizing, demanding payment from the university along with benefits etc is an entirely different matter. Going to hurt a lot more athletes than it helps.
Yep, unionizing won’t affect NIL payments. And if that had some possibility of doing so, players wouldn’t unionize to negotiate less money or less leverage. Only reason to unionize is for benefits like health insurance, long term coverage after career ending injuries, eliminating or compensation for processing out, a voice is scheduling and practice issues.

That cat is out of the bag, in the woods, and long gone.

NIL has issued this statement which isn't very helpful:

"Swarm operates with both the nonprofit collective side, which relies on generous fan contributions, and the Inc. side, where businesses contract with student-athletes. Kadyn Proctor has not received funds from the Collective," the statement read. "He received a portion of his Swarm Inc. contracted payment from a sponsoring business. We are unable to share the details of these contracts due to confidentially clauses in the contracts. Supporting Iowa athletics and Iowa nonprofits remains our priority. Thank you for your support. Go Hawks!"

Reactions: NJPSU
NIL has issued this statement which isn't very helpful:

"Swarm operates with both the nonprofit collective side, which relies on generous fan contributions, and the Inc. side, where businesses contract with student-athletes. Kadyn Proctor has not received funds from the Collective," the statement read. "He received a portion of his Swarm Inc. contracted payment from a sponsoring business. We are unable to share the details of these contracts due to confidentially clauses in the contracts. Supporting Iowa athletics and Iowa nonprofits remains our priority. Thank you for your support. Go Hawks!"

In other words... "if you are a shmuck that donated to the collective, please don't come after us to ask for a refund or to threaten legal action, we used a different source of money, it wasn't yours." Of course none of their NIL collective donors could possibly know if this is true, the collective is simply trying to get out in front of likely backlash.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT