ADVERTISEMENT

5 Men of Mystery on Penn State's Roster

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020

See Link. Decent list, although Elliott Washington, Alex Birchmeier and even AJ Harris (played less than 100 snaps for UGA last year) could have also been included. The thing that stands out from the clips is how well Rucci played at left tackle vs. LSU in the bowl game. Is he competing for both tackle spots at Penn State? Or is it strictly Jven vs. Donkah on the right side and Rucci vs. Shelton on the left side?

The use of actual video from games is what I really like about what for the blogy does and I don't get why other sites don't do it more. I just don't get the point of two guys in double boxes for 50 minutes. Break it up with some visual examples of what you're discussing

Real good video and insightful. Agree on providing the game action to the commentary. Rucci puts them in a good situation on the Oline. Good backups or rotation in place.

Seems like this is a make or break Spring for Townley. Came in as a 4 star DE from MN in 2021 class and did nothing for the better part of 2 years as a DE along with flirting with DT. Tested the portal last winter then Franklin took him back to focus on DT. If he doesn't prove to be a capable DT this Spring, given all the young DT's in the 2024 class, I look for him to be a casualty to the scholarship limits before Summer.

The whole 2024 2 deep at DT could be gone after the 2024 season and Barnes and Allen need to have DT's maturing that can be counted on for the 2 deep in 2025 developing the next year. Gotta earn his spot on the depth chart ASAP or make a move to somewhere he can compete!

Last edited:
The good news for the future is that I like the incoming freshmen DTs better than any class in recent memory. Now they won't be dominant by 2025 but the potential is certainly there.
Yes, it seems like a nice group of DT talent in the 2024 class. Reportedly some very athletic DT's and some nice size as well. But PSU will need 2 starters and at least 2 more capable backups for 2025. If Durant returns for his 4th year and Artis progresses this year that's 2. Maybe Blanding in his 3rd year will be ready. I'm honestly not optimistic about Townley. Beyond those players it's the portal and the 2024 class. I'm more optimistic about Andrews and a couple other of the 2024 DT's than Townley. That should sort out at least somewhat by the end of Spring practice.

Last edited:
Yes, it seems like a nice group of DT talent in the 2024 class. Reportedly some very athletic DT's and some nice size as well. But PSU will need 2 starters and at least 2 more capable backups for 2025. If Durant returns for his 4th year and Artis progresses this year that's 2. Maybe Blanding in his 3rd year will be ready. I'm honestly not optimistic about Townley. Beyond those players it's the portal and the 2024 class. I'm more optimistic about Andrews and a couple other of the 2024 DT's than Townley. That should sort out by the end of Spring practice.
Trent Wilson DT, 6'3" 270 visiting for BW game. #127 nationally class of '25 according to Rivals. He has made 6 unofficial visits to PSU. He is visiting OSU this Spring and Oklahoma. No crystal balls yet. I think he is our highest DT priority.

Rojas to Sam seems to answer the question from a previous thread about the Tom Allen defensive front. Although I'm not sure that Rojas is as much the mystery as the rest on the list.

As good as our defense was under Manny, I won't miss our DTs gap hopping for the sake of illusion/diversion. The film of Artis doing it. Yuck.

Vilbert Smith. Keon Wylie.

Trent Wilson DT, 6'3" 270 visiting for BW game. #127 nationally class of '25 according to Rivals. He has made 6 unofficial visits to PSU. He is visiting OSU this Spring and Oklahoma. No crystal balls yet. I think he is our highest DT priority.
Don't see how that could help with the DT's needed for 2025. Freshman DT's don't usually play much or at all for teams with playoff aspirations.

Don't see how that could help with the DT's needed for 2025. Freshman DT's don't usually play much or at all for teams with playoff aspirations.
Not saying he would be a starter. Although he is a 95 composite on 247 and if he continues to develop then don't count him out for getting snaps in '25. A good to excellent building block for beyond '25 at the very least so I hope we get him.

In '25, returing Durant would be ideal.
Next, I would hope Artis is a key contributor. He's got great size. Not sure about Blanding. Not sure about Sam Siafa either. Then the '24 guys need to step up. Andrews was a
big time recruit. Gilliam and Cook were high 3 stars at 89 and 88 respectively. All three are enrolled so when Fall '25 rolls around they will have been in the program for 20 months with two winters and springs under their belt.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
Any chance Ford would be around in 2025?

Ford would have been a good choice for the mystery picks. He was brought in to bolster DT depth and got hurt before game 1 (don't remember specifically when). He does have 2 years of playing experience at ODU and I don't know how '20 counts for him as ODU canceled their season.

I would say if he wants to play cfb in '25, he most likely would be able to between covid and a season long injury.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
Ford would have been a good choice for the mystery picks. He was brought in to bolster DT depth and got hurt before game 1 (don't remember specifically when). He does have 2 years of playing experience at ODU and I don't know how '20 counts for him as ODU canceled their season.

I would say if he wants to play cfb in '25, he most likely would be able to between covid and a season long injury.
He is a good run stopper. It would be great to see him get on the field in '24 and show what he can do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT