ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting 2024 OL Garrett Sexton commits to Penn State!

Another Wisconsin kid. Not sure wtf Luke Fickell is doing out there, but he sure as hell isn't recruiting the state of Wisconsin well.
Or else he is looking for different skill sets in his linemen. Hopefully, it isn;t a matter of his seeing (or not seeing) things we don't see.

Anyway, I trust the staff to know who can get us over the top.

He moves really well for a kid whois 6'7". I wonder how well he will be able to move after he puts on another 45-60 lbs, which he will need to do? He has to have an anchor to go with that leverage!

His highlight video reminds me of the 6'7" lineman from NJ, Aiden Lynch, although the latter is already 40 lbs heavier. After reporting Lynch had an offer, there has been virtually nothing on him since.

Another Wisconsin kid. Not sure wtf Luke Fickell is doing out there, but he sure as hell isn't recruiting the state of Wisconsin well.
With Fickell being at Cincy until December he was late in the game for 2024 class recruits in Wisky's normal recruiting areas. But it sure seems like he could have been able to make up some ground in the last 4 months.

Will be interesting to see how Wisky/Fickell does in Ohio and Cincy's other areas of focus for the 2024 class where his staff had been recruiting 2024 class players.

Right now Wisky has 7 commits. 3 from Wisconsin, 2 from Illinois, 1 from TX, 1 from SC.

Or else he is looking for different skill sets in his linemen. Hopefully, it isn;t a matter of his seeing (or not seeing) things we don't see.

Former qb, basketball player, athlete. What’s not to like. Only question is he nasty enough?

I think the 2025 Wisconsin HS kids will be a better way of judging Fickell as he was late to the party with the 2024 WI kids. CF coaches need a couple of years - at least - to get to know in-state kids and vice versa.

Reactions: GregInPitt
He moves really well for a kid whois 6'7". I wonder how well he will be able to move after he puts on another 45-60 lbs, which he will need to do? He has to have an anchor to go with that leverage!

His highlight video reminds me of the 6'7" lineman from NJ, Aiden Lynch, although the latter is already 40 lbs heavier. After reporting Lynch had an offer, there has been virtually nothing on him since.
Agreed. In modern times, colleges can project what "good weight" a kid can take on without hindering his other skills. it comes down to his frame. This year, Tony Rojas added 29 lbs between his HS senior year and PSU Frosh.

I was 160lbs in college and was 210 by the time is was 24 and it was all muscle. My son lettered as a cross country athlete, ticketed to stardom, and grew from 5-10 to 6-2 in a year and never was any better than his freshman year.

Reactions: NedFromYork

For whatever reason, Fickell was late to the party, offered him last week. The good stuff seems locked up behind paywalls on the Wisconsin sites.

Seems like a classic case of a late bloomer, which may explain some of his other interested schools (or lack of for that matter). Originally a HS QB that recently transitioned to OT - super athletic with plenty of room to add weight. FWIW, one of TOSs recently upgraded him to the 115th prospect in the country.

Might be a Franklin recruiting special, finding a prospect seemingly before they blow up on the national level.

Welcome aboard. Hopefully he bucks a bad trend. Being 6'7" sounds good in theory but could be a "big" draw back for him. When has PSU ever been able to utilize a lineman over 6'6" in any meaningful way on gameday? Here are a few of the most recent 6'7" or taller offensive lineman.

Jimmy Christ
JIm Fitzgerald
Maleek McNeil
Chasz Wright
Charlie Shuman
Paris Palmer (played but wasn't that good)
Sterling Jenkins
Kevin Blanchard

Fickell may be trying to recruit more nationally, more like Ohio State, and maybe the Wisconsin prospects are feeling a lack of attention. Or maybe the Wisconsin OL philosophy will be different than it's been in the past.

It's not our worry. If Trautwein is getting guys he can develop into NFL 1st day picks, that's all that matters to us and to these players.

Welcome aboard. Hopefully he bucks a bad trend. Being 6'7" sounds good in theory but could be a "big" draw back for him. When has PSU ever been able to utilize a lineman over 6'6" in any meaningful way on gameday? Here are a few of the most recent 6'7" or taller offensive lineman.

Jimmy Christ
JIm Fitzgerald
Maleek McNeil
Chasz Wright
Charlie Shuman
Sterling Jenkins
Kevin Blanchard
Good pt. Though the hit rate on 6-4 or 6-5 linemen wouldn't be much better. It's just the nature of the position -- only about 1/4-1/3 of OL develop into starter-quality players.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Good pt. Though the hit rate on 6-4 or 6-5 linemen wouldn't be much better. It's just the nature of the position -- only about 1/4-1/3 of OL develop into starter-quality players.
Well that’s an easy fix. Just recruit the 1/4-1/3 guys that make it.🤒🥴😬 I have no idea why I didn’t think of that before.

Well that’s an easy fix. Just recruit the 1/4-1/3 guys that make it.🤒🥴😬 I have no idea why I didn’t think of that before.
And you better make sure if they are 6'6" they don't grow to 6.7". I'd imagine 6'6.49" is OK, but we'd have to round up at 6'6.50" and then it is a no go.

Reactions: Thomas1945

Jimmy Christ
JIm Fitzgerald
Maleek McNeil
Chasz Wright
Charlie Shuman
Sterling Jenkins
Kevin Blanchard
to be fair to the kid, Fitzgerald is a preferred walk on, not a scholarship guy

Now we know why Bobby Engram went Wisconsin for a year. Hahaha. Brilliantly played!!! I’m sure some badgers fans, will actually believe this to be true.

Jimmy Christ
JIm Fitzgerald
Maleek McNeil
Chasz Wright
Charlie Shuman
Sterling Jenkins
Kevin Blanchard
Future tight end 😊

With Fickell being at Cincy until December he was late in the game for 2024 class recruits in Wisky's normal recruiting areas. But it sure seems like he could have been able to make up some ground in the last 4 months.

Will be interesting to see how Wisky/Fickell does in Ohio and Cincy's other areas of focus for the 2024 class where his staff had been recruiting 2024 class players.

Right now Wisky has 7 commits. 3 from Wisconsin, 2 from Illinois, 1 from TX, 1 from SC.
Fickell brought his whole Cincy recruiting operation with him to Wisconsin and much of the coaching staff. Basically they been recruiting their old territory, which was never Wisco. Plus they been very heavy in the portal, trying to refurbish the roster. Expect them to make greater in roads into Wisconsin next couple years. But one thing to keep in mind is high school age population in Wisconsin dropping precipitously and schools closing and consolidating and playing 7 man ball as there are not enough kids. Not a recipe for a "rich" recruiting ground

This is a kid that you see built up. Seems he's on a growth spurt already. On3 likes him the best of anybody (top 3 in state, top 200 kid, Everybody else has him 8-10 in state). Seems about like Trauts body type himself.

Would like to see him at closer to 270 when he gets to PSU........then another 20-30 pounds in a redshirt freshman year.........OL is hard to project.....also hard to project a 245 pounder and how he will do as a 300 pounder.......could he be a DE? PSU seemed to be going for bigger players, this year looks to be our largest starting OL ever at PSU with the average seemingly around 320 pounds.......

Reactions: The Spin Meister

Jimmy Christ
JIm Fitzgerald
Maleek McNeil
Chasz Wright
Charlie Shuman
Sterling Jenkins
Kevin Blanchard

Olumuyiwa Fashanu​

Reactions: bison13

Jimmy Christ
JIm Fitzgerald
Maleek McNeil
Chasz Wright
Charlie Shuman
Sterling Jenkins
Kevin Blanchard

Chasz Wright and Paris Palmer started.

Want a list of 6-6 busts or 6'5 busts?

Reactions: jimarnp
Would like to see him at closer to 270 when he gets to PSU........then another 20-30 pounds in a redshirt freshman year.........OL is hard to project.....also hard to project a 245 pounder and how he will do as a 300 pounder.......could he be a DE? PSU seemed to be going for bigger players, this year looks to be our largest starting OL ever at PSU with the average seemingly around 320 pounds.......

He will be 270 his Sr year of high school. He played last season at 185. He is up to 252.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT