ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting 2023 signee Carey Booth has requested his release from LOI

John Wooden himself ain't winning more than 5 or 6 games next year with this roster.
We'll win with a tenacious Defense!

HappygoluckySevereFlies-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Parkland Fan
If you were an NBA Exec with intimate knowledge of the workings of basketball talent evaluation and development (which you just may be), and you had signed a $34mm contract in 2001 that has an approximate value of $60mm today and we assume that you saved at least half of that money, and you currently make in the upper 6 figures if not more for the Nuggets would you sell your son to the highest bidder?

Of course, if he can have both he would take the doe, but there is no way that Booth Senior is worried about the cash component. His priorities 1-9 are fit/development/his son's comfort x3 each. Maybe NIL is #10 valued at 10% or less.

Can't say for any other recruits or current roster players...but in this case the young man has the luxury of picking his spot (again). And he could likely find himself South Bend.

I'm trying to not let Shrew's departure continue to get in my head...and I would have done what he did if in his shoes, but from an Alum point of view we would have been better not hiring him in the first place.

Giving him his big break will not pay out for us. We should have been like every other Dl program and pass over him. The K State guy is winning with 10 guys who transferred in just this year. Do they even know where they are? What the zip or area codes are? Is that what we want?

Micah felt like other coaches we have had who had the proper mix of school and ball. A family atmosphere that once stable, would be more lime Michigan State (no portal guys) than K State. And a pretty genuine guy who worked as hard as we do.

Our risk has us back in the Rinse Cycle that is PSU basketball. Micah has moved into a role he could never have dreamed of.

#Nightmare

#DumpsterFire
I'd tell my kid to maximize his worth. Let's not pretend his plan is to graduate for any university he selects.

If we never hired Shrew in the first place we likely wouldn't be talking about basketball at all let alone a tournament win and Booth leaving. He helped us and we gave him a chance to showcase himself for better offers.

What's wrong with K-State's approach? You may hate the transfer portal (I get it) but we have to stop thinking about Men's BB and football as anything more than a developmental league with guys representing our school (likely being paid to do so) so that they can bring in money for all our other sports including wrestling, women's VB, men's volleyball, etc. that many of us care about.

I'm fine with us becoming a stepping stone school for coaches--that's a huge step forward from what we've been in basketball. Not every school is going to be a destination school. Even football is like that with blue blood programs--see Brian Kelly and Lincoln Riley.

I'd tell my kid to maximize his worth. Let's not pretend his plan is to graduate for any university he selects.

If we never hired Shrew in the first place we likely wouldn't be talking about basketball at all let alone a tournament win and Booth leaving. He helped us and we gave him a chance to showcase himself for better offers.

What's wrong with K-State's approach? You may hate the transfer portal (I get it) but we have to stop thinking about Men's BB and football as anything more than a developmental league with guys representing our school (likely being paid to do so) so that they can bring in money for all our other sports including wrestling, women's VB, men's volleyball, etc. that many of us care about.

I'm fine with us becoming a stepping stone school for coaches--that's a huge step forward from what we've been in basketball. Not every school is going to be a destination school. Even football is like that with blue blood programs--see Brian Kelly and Lincoln Riley.
I watched Cal and his kid closely in the game @ the Palestra. Also saw them walking down the corridor. They presented as very put together folks who played things close to the vest. Neither cheered that I was able to see. It looked like a very professional approach.

I think you are right about the way things may go with all of this portal stuff- and while we have had our fair share of transfers- I was hoping that was more of a short term plug than a practice. The football program is doing a good job in this regards in my opinion. Our mass defections after the Pat debacle necessitated all of the guys- and Shrew did a very good job with more than half over 2 years. A few big hits and a few flame outs. If our sports teams become just kids wearing blue and white then I'll likely focus more on fishing.

As for Cal- by all accounts he was a true Scholar-Athlete at PSU. I'd imagine that the parental expectation is that Junior will go to college with the intent of earning a degree and being a well rounded person. If his basketball skills allow him to maybe play professionally then he could leave early, but I'd be surprised if Booth Jr. never graduates.

He has grown up in a home of wealth and privilege. People who live in his neighborhood all went to college- and likely some form of Post Grad degrees. Money is not a major concern in terms of having to work 3 jobs or take a loan. Why would you think his parents would let him pretend he was playing for Tark @ UNLV? If he cannot get accepted to ND that may be a clue of priorities....but my guess is that he'd find his way in.

We took a shot on Micah, and ended up putting ourselves in a position that we had never been before: Someone else further up the ladder actually wanted our hoops coach. Most of the most frequent posters commenting were here 2 years ago too....so the fact that we actually were decent hasn't changed our interest. Being a PSU Hoops fan is my equivalent of rooting for the NY Jets....a lifetime of torture with a few moments of relief. We had a great month- now back to the drawing board.

We'll see.....

Hoping that this prediction ends up having the same accuracy as all of Gunsie's other predictions.
The best part about your infatuation with gunzie is it keeps you from doing what you do best: Apologies 😆 🤣 😂

But any money being redirected to basketball obviously impacts the other sports unless the increased expense is also increasing revenue. Say we doubled the salaries of our coaching staff...that's going from 3.3 million to 6.6 million. What are the chances that we increase our revenue by that much to offset it (especially when the first season or two may be lean)? As I've pointed out, even a team on the bubble this season couldn't come close to filling up the BJC. It's a tough decision ahead for Mr. Kraft as to how much to actually invest.
that's a double standard because nobody applies that kind of logic when funding the football program. the men's basketball program generates a surplus and has for a long time. they have room to do more

apparently are getting a $4million buyout from ND... all of that should go into the program

that's a double standard because nobody applies that kind of logic when funding the football program. the men's basketball program generates a surplus and has for a long time. they have room to do more
And if they will take that extra 3 million bucks from women's basketball, wrestling, or cutting smaller sports (or some combo of the three), then I won't complain. But contrary to the belief of some here, adding several million dollars onto the basketball budget will have consequences elsewhere. And from what we've seen through the years, not many fans care enough about basketball to be in favor of that sort of change (whereas they'd be all in on it at some of our peers).

And if they will take that extra 3 million bucks from women's basketball, wrestling, or cutting smaller sports (or some combo of the three), then I won't complain. But contrary to the belief of some here, adding several million dollars onto the basketball budget will have consequences elsewhere. And from what we've seen through the years, not many fans care enough about basketball to be in favor of that sort of change (whereas they'd be all in on it at some of our peers).
it will have consequences somewhere, but they have enough fat that can be trimmed up there

i am not sympathetic to the argument. literally decades of getting a surplus from men's basketball and neglecting the program. they deserve a lot more

also they should sell off all but about two of their branch campuses, and so i am generally not sympathetic to any PSU gripes about budget, sports or otherwise

Reactions: psuted
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT