ADVERTISEMENT

141 Seeds per Nomad

Demas has a loss to Ian Parker so I can’t imagine him being ahead of Lee. Hopefully Nomads “matrix” is wrong

It doesn't really matter, they both have 1 loss but Parker has more wins so a better winning %.

The main criteria that is hard to figure out which I guess Nomad is claiming he's done is the "quality wins," which are basically wins against guys that earned autobids, however I believe there is a tiering system.

Looks like Lee's only wins over auto qualifiers are Rivera and Mattin. Demas's only ones that I see are Parker and Carlson, so maybe they split that criteria. But if this is still accurate - https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6131827-how-does-the-ncaa-seeding-process-work - win % + qualifying event placement = 20% whereas coaches rank is only 15% (I don't believe they are doing RPI this year)

Outside of the clear #metoo issues he presents to future employers....I am SHOCKED he hasnt caught on with some outfit with the clearly one of a kind wrestling knowledge he puts out for all to see and judge.

He should charge for these

certainly hope he is wrong as I would like Nick opposite of side of Eierman/Seabass (cause I want to see that match!). Met Nomad once and he seemed like a nice fella. Not sure what he got into at Flo (never heard the whole story) but he seems like he has to start fresh - and these days it with takes like this one. I'm sure he has some logic in order to draw the attention. Just a matter if you have the time to listen. I'm not sure I have it.

Reactions: therod
Outside of the clear #metoo issues he presents to future employers....I am SHOCKED he hasnt caught on with some outfit with the clearly one of a kind wrestling knowledge he puts out for all to see and judge.

Aren't to many employers in wrestling journalism. And with wrestling being close knit and small not sure anyone was going to hire him.

Every year, some guys from the Big Ten get screwed because the patently weaker conferences have undefeated wrestlers who are given better seeds even though they are not as good and have not been challenged throughout the year. Expect some similar uncommon nonsense this year.

Every year, some guys from the Big Ten get screwed because the patently weaker conferences have undefeated wrestlers who are given better seeds even though they are not as good and have not been challenged throughout the year. Expect some similar uncommon nonsense this year.

I still remember in 2018 thinking "Okay not the end of the world" after Cenzo lost to IMar at Big Tens. IMar would get the 1 seed and Cenzo would get McFadden instead. Had he won, both IMar and Cenzo had a loss and they're meeting in the semis.

This formula could create some absolute nightmare seedlings this year if they don’t adjust it or overrule it. Not sure how you can use the formula they have with the season we had.

Nomad (using the formula) has Parris at the 5 behind Stencel, Schultz, and Gremmel. Absolute disaster if that happens. Knowing the way wrestling has worked though it’s probably going to happen.

The football playoff usually gets it right - ignores the Big 10 homers in the media like Herbie and gives the SEC the benefit of the doubt. The same credit should be given to the Big 10 in wrestling as its even more dominant vis-à-vis the other conferences than the SEC is in football

Nomad is an idiot because he also has Paris at #4. He states that "based on the #'s/stats" these are the seeds but when preseeds came out he stated he also used common sense. He will use whatever works for him. Of course he was using stats and not common sense when requesting pics of female wrestlers.

He tried on his own through Patreon but it shows he has only 65 subscribers. I would not be shocked if he actually still doea work for Flo in the background, research or something because they reference him quite a bit.

Nomad is an idiot because he also has Paris at #4. He states that "based on the #'s/stats" these are the seeds but when preseeds came out he stated he also used common sense. He will use whatever works for him. Of course he was using stats and not common sense when requesting pics of female wrestlers.

#5 actually. It's based on a defined criteria. The only one that isn't totally clear is the "quality wins"

This formula could create some absolute nightmare seedlings this year if they don’t adjust it or overrule it. Not sure how you can use the formula they have with the season we had.

Nomad (using the formula) has Parris at the 5 behind Stencel, Schultz, and Gremmel. Absolute disaster if that happens. Knowing the way wrestling has worked though it’s probably going to happen.
Countless examples of the seeding committee not following that.

Right off the top of my head: 1-loss Stieber 2, 1-loss Zain 3, unbeaten Devin Carter 4.

Genius responds

Reactions: danoftw
Im gonna say the same thing I said on themat. If they do this, they might as well scrap the whole current process as it shows its incapable of making common sense seeds.

I agree. In a normal year, the matrix is the way to go, I totally agree...
this is not a normal year, I hope they don't just lean on the matrix, but try to use a little judgment...

the tournament is going to be ridiculous this year... Perhaps the craziest since they starting seeding everyone...

I agree. In a normal year, the matrix is the way to go, I totally agree...
this is not a normal year, I hope they don't just lean on the matrix, but try to use a little judgment...

the tournament is going to be ridiculous this year... Perhaps the craziest since they starting seeding everyone...

Judging by the lazy way they leaned on “math” this year to calculate allocations (a disaster when you look at who will go from the EIWA) I would assume they will mess this up too.

Reactions: Fatmarc
You all may not like to hear this, but you are killing the messenger. Whether a "fan" of Nomads or not, he's using the model that the NCAA has provided to determine seeds. I did a quick analysis of Nick Lee vs Tariq Wilson, and Nick vs Dom Demas, and the numbers are lower for Nick against Wilson, and close against Demas, for example.

In this pandemic-shortened season, elements such as "Win %" and "Quality Wins" are dramatically affected. Lee has a lower Win % than both Wilson and Demas, though Lee's quality wins appear better than Demas, but lower than Wilson. I only did a cursory check, but Lee should be higher than Demas, total points-wise.

IMO, other criteria is inherently unfair, such as "Conference Finish", though it's always been that way. Lee lost this criteria too, as Demas and Wilson both won their conference.

CriteriaPoints AvailablePossible Splits
HTH
25​
25/0
16.667/8.3
12.5/12.5
Quality Wins
20​
10/0
15/5
10/10
Coach Rank
15​
15/0
7.5/7.5
Conference Finish
10​
10/0
Common Opponent
10​
10/0
Win %
10​
10/0
Total Points
90​

You all may not like to hear this, but you are killing the messenger. Whether a "fan" of Nomads or not, he's using the model that the NCAA has provided to determine seeds. I did a quick analysis of Nick Lee vs Tariq Wilson, and Nick vs Dom Demas, and the numbers are lower for Nick against Wilson, and close against Demas, for example.

In this pandemic-shortened season, elements such as "Win %" and "Quality Wins" are dramatically affected. Lee has a lower Win % than both Wilson and Demas, though Lee's quality wins appear better than Demas, but lower than Wilson. I only did a cursory check, but Lee should be higher than Demas, total points-wise.

IMO, other criteria is inherently unfair, such as "Conference Finish", though it's always been that way. Lee lost this criteria too, as Demas and Wilson both won their conference.

CriteriaPoints AvailablePossible Splits
HTH
25​
25/0
16.667/8.3
12.5/12.5
Quality Wins
20​
10/0
15/5
10/10
Coach Rank
15​
15/0
7.5/7.5
Conference Finish
10​
10/0
Common Opponent
10​
10/0
Win %
10​
10/0
Total Points
90​

I believe Demas's "quality wins" are over Parker and Carlson.

Lee's are over Rivera and Mattin.

But I'm not sure how the tiers/points work.

Do they need to have both the winning % AND the coaches rank to get the relevant points, or either or? Carlson has a 72.7% winning % (tier 3), and will likely get in the coaches ranking after beating #27 Zollman, but not sure if he'll get in the top 25.

I guess the answer to my question will determine what tier Rivera is in too. He'll have the top 5 coaches rank (tier 1), but "only" an 89% winning % (tier 2).

Looks like Parker should be safely in Tier 2.

Mattin was 20th in the CR before but lost to #29 Filius and unranked Valdivez. He probably drops below 25 at least, so his 40% winning % should put him in Tier 6.

In the past, it was 2 out of 3. If it is 2 out of 2 then Quality Wins will screw everything up. If it is just 1 then seeds will make more sense. Example, if need both then by formula, 285 is Steveson, Stencel, Schultz, Gremmel, Parris, Laird, Cass but if only need 1 then Steveson, Parris, Cass, Stencel, Schultz, Gremmel.

At 141, Lee would be ahead of Demas if only need 1 (Rivera a tier ahead of Parker). Rivera might end up ahead of Demas as well for 4/5.

In the past, it was 2 out of 3. If it is 2 out of 2 then Quality Wins will screw everything up. If it is just 1 then seeds will make more sense. Example, if need both then by formula, 285 is Steveson, Stencel, Schultz, Gremmel, Parris, Laird, Cass but if only need 1 then Steveson, Parris, Cass, Stencel, Schultz, Gremmel.

At 141, Lee would be ahead of Demas if only need 1 (Rivera a tier ahead of Parker). Rivera might end up ahead of Demas as well for 4/5.

But wouldn't winning % put Carlson in tier 3 so 4.5 (Parker) + 3 (Carlson) = 7.5
compared to 6.5 (Rivera) + 1 (Mattin, but could be 0.5) = 7.5

Last edited:

I hadn't looked that closely at Rivera's wins before now.

So he has:
Red - 79% winning %, does he stay ranked top 5? I think so, I'd guess Demas take's Hart's spot in the top 5. 6 points if he stays top 5 and only 1 criteria needed

Filius - 50% winning %, was #29 in last CR but beat #20 Mattin, could have a shot to crack top 25. 1 or 0.5

Mattin - 0.5 or 1

Once guys get selected for at-large, will that count as a quality win as well? Polanco of MN could have a shot.

But basically, if they only need 1 of the criteria and Red stays in the top 5, Rivera could be looking at a maximum of 8, but probably 7.5 which would be the same as Demas and Lee.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT