ADVERTISEMENT

10 Underated and Underappreciated NCAA Wrestling Champs

Lehigh was a beast as a team in the late 1970s. Got to watch them a lot on Channel 39 in the Lehigh Valley.

Reactions: danoftw
Lehigh was a beast as a team in the late 1970s. Got to watch them a lot on Channel 39 in the Lehigh Valley.
I watched Lehigh on Channel 39 typically Sunday afternoons. I've noted Burley was an all time great, his only losses in his career were to NCAA champions. If I remember he hurt his wrist real bad his senior year and still won Nationals.
Another Lehigh kid during that time frame that was very good was Mike Brown who was local kid . If I remember correctly he was 4 time All-american and 4 time EIWA Champion.

Reactions: matter7172
Interesting list. FYI, Darrell Keller is a good friend. He's a really decent person and one of the straightest guys I know. He and Dwayne are originally from WA, but he's living in the Phoenix area now. When you get old like us, the warm, dry weather does wonders for keeping away the body aches.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Always thought Carlton Haselrig did not get the love he deserved. Three time D1 champs from a D2 school. Six NCAA titles. Pretty nice! At Pittsburgh-Johnstown, Haselrig finished his career with a record of 143-2-1, including an NCAA-record 122 consecutive matches without a loss. He never lost a match at the NCAA Division I meet, going 15-0 at the heavyweight class in the 1987, 1988 and 1989 tournaments.

Sanshiro Abe is so underappreciated, he didn't even make the list.

still cant believe that Kolat lost to Mohammedi & didn't get the chance to beat Jaworsky a 4th time that year

Reactions: matter7172
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT