ADVERTISEMENT

#1 person responsible for PSU's survival three years ago...

NedFromYork

Aug 29, 2001
easy, Joe Paterno. Without the tradition he built, without the values he instilled in his players, you don't have a group of players come forward to hold it together, you don't have the lettermen come to campus, you don't get succession coaches like O'Brien and Franklin, you don't get a lot of things, and you don't survive.

easy, Joe Paterno. Without the tradition he built, without the values he instilled in his players, you don't have a group of players come forward to hold it together, you don't have the lettermen come to campus, you don't get succession coaches like O'Brien and Franklin, you don't get a lot of things, and you don't survive.
You're on the right track, but a little wrong in naming Joe explicitly. He would say "aww...I don't know ...get outta here" if you asked him about his importance.

That said,

There is no denying the impact he left on many....it is those who understood and embraced his message that were the saviors of PSU football.

Some were direct products of the Grand Experiment, others never played a down for Joe. It was his many messages and most importantly, his expectation that not only he, but also everyone else he touched, push themselves (physically, academically, ethically) to their greatest potential.

There are many unsung heroes, none of whom are or were PSU employees or BOT members, who are the real people responsible for the survival of PSU football (and all other sports, which otherwise wouldn't have been able to survive) and will ensure that they don't allow the ethically-corrupt to dictate the future of this once-great university.

Agree. Some people say he was selfish for staying too long, but he built a program that would survive his departure, regardless of the circumstances of his leaving.

I believe anyone who has followed Penn State football for a long time would just stipulate that. They then would begin the thread about who saved Penn State football after BoT sold it out.

Reactions: Peetz Pool Boy
Absolutely agree that the foundation Joe built, the young men he recruited and the lettermen that stepped up was the #1 reason the program survived.

It's been said before but I'm not sure many (if any at all) programs could have 'recovered' as well and as fast as we have. The program was incredibly strong, built on bedrock.

Issue is....it should have never came to this. Bastards from within, bastards all around. I pray they get what they deserve someday.

The BOT can remove the statue and not mention his name..... But it doesn't matter one Iota. Joe and the tradition he built together with others that understood and shared his vision ... including Parsons and Rip Engle.... and a legion of great player/people...Joe and the tradition he built through them will never be removed from Penn State. Franco... Mauti....and a legion of others!... were articulate and poised under fire.... and they ironically, represented the academic community at PSU with more leadership that the entire BOT at the time of crisis.

Absolutely agree about the foundation that Joe built, BOB, and the players on that 2012 team but I'll also add the fanbase that stuck with the program. If Beaver Stadium had been 3/4s empty in 2012 (as the NCAA probably expected would happen) that would have given the image of a dying program and could have affected current players' interest in staying and would have had a negative impact on recruiting.

good point. but without BOB (O'Brien), who knows what would have happened

Joe is the central figure, but I think the strength of the school and alums is really the glue. It's not about individuals at PSU, but the collective whole. You can't deny Joe's role, but making it about him IMO is no different than what Jones wrote.

Joe is the central figure, but I think the strength of the school and alums is really the glue. It's not about individuals at PSU, but the collective whole. You can't deny Joe's role, but making it about him IMO is no different than what Jones wrote.
Joe built the enthusiasm to the school through a first class football program built with integrity, charitable donations to the school and a huge ambassadorship. That enthusiasm along with the malicious mistreatment of the man who gave 61 years to the University caused the majority of PSU students and alums to dig in and fight for justice.

Joe built the enthusiasm to the school through a first class football program built with integrity, charitable donations to the school and a huge ambassadorship. That enthusiasm along with the malicious mistreatment of the man who gave 61 years to the University caused the majority of PSU students and alums to dig in and fight for justice.

I don't see that fight stopping either at least in terms of the BoT and other areas go. I was just stating that while Joe is the central figure, the school survived due to the strength of those who go there and back the school. 600k > 1 man and that is why the school didn't fold or quit. Nobody can repay Joe for all that he gave, but by carrying on with W's on the field and good grad rates...he can live on. Hoping to see PSU back at the top soon again as we all are.

A combination of tradition from Joe, a fan base that wouldn't go quietly, O'Brien, Some senior football players, and the resolve of Franco Harris. Like everything great at Penn State a team effort.

++++++++++++1

Reactions: ralpieE
I don't see that fight stopping either at least in terms of the BoT and other areas go. I was just stating that while Joe is the central figure, the school survived due to the strength of those who go there and back the school. 600k > 1 man and that is why the school didn't fold or quit. Nobody can repay Joe for all that he gave, but by carrying on with W's on the field and good grad rates...he can live on. Hoping to see PSU back at the top soon again as we all are.
The only reason why MOST of the 600k have backed the team since 2012 is because Joe Paterno created a culture through the football program that ultimately led to challenging the BOT to have a "university that the football team could be proud of." We went from being a "cow college" to a world class university only because Joseph Vincent Paterno demanded it and he leveraged his "Grand Experiment" to achieve that goal.

Joe made many enemies along the way but he instilled an ethic into our student body through the football program that the BOT could not destroy with their Freeh charade. Joe isn't a "central figure," he is the nucleus of the movement to find the truth because we idolize him for making our degrees so much more valuable in the marketplace. It is a shame that you cannot understand that Joe is the only reason why we have not "moved on".

The only reason why MOST of the 600k have backed the team since 2012 is because Joe Paterno created a culture through the football program that ultimately led to challenging the BOT to have a "university that the football team could be proud of." We went from being a "cow college" to a world class university only because Joseph Vincent Paterno demanded it and he leveraged his "Grand Experiment" to achieve that goal.

Joe made many enemies along the way but he instilled an ethic into our student body through the football program that the BOT could not destroy with their Freeh charade. Joe isn't a "central figure," he is the nucleus of the movement to find the truth because we idolize him for making our degrees so much more valuable in the marketplace. It is a shame that you cannot understand that Joe is the only reason why we have not "moved on".

I'm not telling anyone to move on with regards to Joe and the BoT. That isn't where I'm coming from, so you may want to start reading my posts.

I'm not telling anyone to move on with regards to Joe and the BoT. That isn't where I'm coming from, so you may want to start reading my posts.
What is the primary driving force behind the movement to find the truth? You say it isn't Joe, I say it is. What is your answer?

What is the primary driving force behind the movement to find the truth? You say it isn't Joe, I say it is. What is your answer?

I said no such thing. Stop looking for crap that isn't there. This thread is about how or why PSU survived and was posted due to Jones hatchet job the other day about 4 people carrying PSU through the sanctions.

This thread is about how PSU got through the sanctions and not about the driving force for the movement to find the truth. The OP had a thought it was Joe alone and others disagreed, but I did kind of did state Joe is the central reason why the 600k did stand tall. It's as if you see my handle and invent sh!t in your own head. I didn't attack the OP and totally understand where he was coming from and expanded my 2 cents on the matter. You talk about me being angry, hell you're making crap up now. Maybe you should take a breath and read what I wrote in my original post and follow up. Neither one disrespected the OP, Joe, or anything like that.

I say Joe instilled the strength in the 600k. Clearly you don't think so. From your perspective, where did that strength come from?

I say Joe is the glue that created the strength of the 600k. You?

I say Joe is the glue that created the strength of the 600k. You?

"Joe is the central figure". Try and think about what that means with regards to this thread. Take your time and I really do think you will figure this one out all on your own.

You_Can_t_Fix_Stupid.jpg

I say Joe is really the glue. You say it's the 600k alums. Where did the alums get the strength if not from Joe?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT