ADVERTISEMENT

“We checked the book. The book says go for it.”....

shak66_psu

Apr 6, 2003
Now I know why Franklin sticks his index finger in the air when the team scores a TD and goes up 6-0 three minutes into say the Idaho game. He and the knucklehead staff apparently are that clueless at all times... like someone is considering going for two at that point?!?
Going for 2 today down 24-19 (that early in a game) is wrong, whatever f’in book Franklin is referring to, they must not have the read the next two sentences regarding how much time is left in the game. The fact that a coach getting paid that much is that clueless is pretty unbelievable.

Now I know why Franklin sticks his index finger in the air when the team scores a TD and goes up 6-0 three minutes into say the Idaho game. He and the knucklehead staff apparently are that clueless at all times... like someone is considering going for two at that point?!?
Going for 2 today down 24-19 (that early in a game) is wrong, whatever f’in book Franklin is referring to, they must not have the read the next two sentences regarding how much time is left in the game. The fact that a coach getting paid that much is that clueless is pretty unbelievable.

Did we really need a second thread on the same subject? Check the board next time.

Wonder where in the book it says to run three times then throw a fade to the smallest guy on the field?

It was that bad a call, yes, it deserves a 2nd thread

Especially since people can't even acknowledge it was wrong. You can like Franklin, I do, and admit that was a horrible decision. I said in the game thread "why are we going for 2" before the result. You never chase points. He did. Hopefully he learns from it and loses the card.

Reactions: HunterPSU96
It’s disgusting actually. How do you confuse this approach with coaching. Anyone can read a book. A great coach knows what’s best when it counts. This guy has no guy instinct.....if he did have a guy instinct I’d advise him to do the opposite at all times.

During the PC our coach sounded like he was trying to sell the 2 pt. idea as smart and typical, right out of "the book". I do not believe any of those positions are accurate. He will be known for this like Duzzi was for his decision for the field goal earlier in the season in our "2 score game".

Especially since people can't even acknowledge it was wrong. You can like Franklin, I do, and admit that was a horrible decision. I said in the game thread "why are we going for 2" before the result. You never chase points. He did. Hopefully he learns from it and loses the card.
You say that it was the wrong decision, but how do you know? I didn’t see any analytics on it. However, I’d be willing to bet the odds of winning favored going for 2. My gripe is that Franklin wasn’t quite aggressive enough. I was hoping he would go for it at the end of the half instead of settle for a fg.

You say that it was the wrong decision, but how do you know? I didn’t see any analytics on it. However, I’d be willing to bet the odds of winning favored going for 2. My gripe is that Franklin wasn’t quite aggressive enough. I was hoping he would go for it at the end of the half instead of settle for a fg.
BecUse if they kicked extra point they more then likely win, there was still way too much time on the clock. If you I Anna be aggressive go for it at end of the first half.

I stated in an earlier thread that I wouldn’t have done it, but the analytics say down five any time in the second half that going for two increases your chance of winning. Most people don’t like the idea of making decisions solely off data so I understand the anger. When you do play by the analytics and lose, you are a lightning rod for criticism. That is why most coaches won’t do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erial_Lion
BecUse if they kicked extra point they more then likely win, there was still way too much time on the clock. If you I Anna be aggressive go for it at end of the first half.
Did you see the numbers on it? I didn’t watch on TV, so I don’t know if they listed it. The nfl typically does a better job of showing the analytics in game. I do know that analytics usually favors being more aggressive than conventional football thinking. That’s why I don’t trust statements like, “you don’t chase points this early.” It’s one of those bumper sticker slogans used in sports broadcasting.

I do agree that he should’ve gone for it at the end of the half.

Reactions: doctornick
screen-shot-2013-02-19-at-6-04-26-am.png

It does not include time quarter or anything like that.

Did you see the numbers on it? I didn’t watch on TV, so I don’t know if they listed it. The nfl typically does a better job of showing the analytics in game. I do know that analytics usually favors being more aggressive than conventional football thinking. That’s why I don’t trust statements like, “you don’t chase points this early.” It’s one of those bumper sticker slogans used in sports broadcasting.

I do agree that he should’ve gone for it at the end of the half.
I wouldn’t have went for it with that much time left in the game. Mainly because if you miss it and Minny gets a field goal you are down 8 instead of 7. Having said that it’s hard for me to fault a coach for being aggressive I watched the exact opposite for many years in this program. The reality is if Slade cuts inside he most likely scores.

I wouldn’t have went for it with that much time left in the game. Mainly because if you miss it and Minny gets a field goal you are down 8 instead of 7. Having said that it’s hard for me to fault a coach for being aggressive I watched the exact opposite for many years in this program. The reality is if Slade cuts inside he most likely scores.

I think everyone is we get aggressive there when we did not need to, but we dont when its obvious to be aggressive

I am not agreeing with what Franklin did i would have just kicked it and moved on from it.

No I know that... I think your point of "not taking in account quarter or time left" is critical and I thank you for posting that.

I'm guessing the staff figured this..
Succeed the 2 = Only down by 3 so can tie with a FG, scoring a TD goes up by 4...
Miss the 2 = Down by 5, but scoring a TD up by 1 and can attempt another 2 and go up by 3 anyway. Assuming Minnesota scores a FG, only down by 8

But didn't bank on giving up an additional TD... which screwed it all up.

I guess Franklin, which he claimed, consulted with defense and decided to go for it similar to going for it on 4th down around midfield last game vs Michigan State and it ended up not working out

No I know that... I think your point of "not taking in account quarter or time left" is critical and I thank you for posting that.

I'm guessing the staff figured this..
Succeed the 2 = Only down by 3 so can tie with a FG, scoring a TD goes up by 4...
Miss the 2 = Down by 5, but scoring a TD up by 1 and can attempt another 2 and go up by 3 anyway. Assuming Minnesota scores a FG, only down by 8

But didn't bank on giving up an additional TD... which screwed it all up.

I guess Franklin, which he claimed, consulted with defense and decided to go for it similar to going for it on 4th down around midfield last game vs Michigan State and it ended up not working out

i also could see there line of thinking Minnesota was going to try and shorten the game by running the ball as well and limit the possessions

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
Let's all chip in and purchase a different "book" for Franklin's Christmas present!

Hes a ****ing moron sometimes.

screen-shot-2013-02-19-at-6-04-26-am.png

It does not include time quarter or anything like that.
Analytics are garbage during a game. They are great for preparation in understanding tendencies. Why trust a piece of paper or algorithm that doesn’t account for momentum or individual ability. This is the coaches job, not for the coach to rely on an algorithm. Further credence to the notion that CJF is in over his head.

Reactions: 84Lion
It’s disgusting actually. How do you confuse this approach with coaching. Anyone can read a book. A great coach knows what’s best when it counts. This guy has no guy instinct.....if he did have a guy instinct I’d advise him to do the opposite at all times.

We need CJF to watch the episode of Seinfeld where George does the exact opposite of what he’s always done!

Reactions: hoflane
If I'm behind in a game and it is one where it seems like I'll have limited times with possession, I would always want to know exactly what I need to do to wind (FG vs TD, 1 pt versus 2pt). If it comes down to likely needing to go for 2 at some point, I would always want to go for two early rather than late so that I can adjust for whether I missed/made it. The worse situation is scoring a TD at the end of the game then needing to go for 2 because if you miss you, you are out of time to compensate.

You can make an argument one way or the other whether going for 2 when we did was the "right" move, but it was certainly reasonable given how Minnesota was playing ball control and we would likely only have 2-3 more possessions. In the grand scheme of things, that's a silly thing to be focused on in terms of the "game management" aspect of stuff.

Clocking the ball on first down at the end of the first half rather than use the TO (or just running a play quickly) was IMHO a much more egregious decision.

had they taken the point taking the FG later rather than going for it in the 4th quarter is a no brained. That makes the score 31-30 for the final drive.

Reactions: djr4rebs and psu00
OMG......!!!!!!!!!

And - since every other f***ing play the entire game would have played out the exact same way as it did, Clifford woulda’ thrown an interception and PSU loses 31-30.

(Do ya’ see the stupidity of your hypothetical? Or are you hopeless?)
Actually you work the clock and try a FG.

think Minny changes there game when it is 24-20 vs 24-19? Or 31-20 rather than 31-19? Penn Sat certainly did

The book is wrong and how the game played OUT PROVED THE BOOK IS WRONG!

Fire. Franklin. :eek:
Put the statue of Paterno on the sideline.
Put a blue tarp over the head and torso, only exposing the arm and most importantly the finger.
Bob will be "relieved"
Y'all will be happy that we always go for 1
The BOT will be happy they don't have to pay a football coach
Not a bad days work. For 6 am

It’s as if the train carrying the Retarded Monkey Circus jumped the tracks...... and all the monkeys burst free from their cages and ran into the cozy confines of the BWI Board...... led by Chief Retarded Ass Monkey Barkley.
He sure is getting his "sweet revenge" on the board now.

Reactions: stormingnorm
Fire. Franklin. :eek:
Put the statue of Paterno on the sideline.
Put a blue tarp over the head and torso, only exposing the arm and most importantly the finger.
Bob will be "relieved"
Y'all will be happy that we always go for 1
The BOT will be happy they don't have to pay a football coach
Not a bad days work. For 6 am

Be right back.

Analytics are garbage during a game. They are great for preparation in understanding tendencies. Why trust a piece of paper or algorithm that doesn’t account for momentum or individual ability. This is the coaches job, not for the coach to rely on an algorithm. Further credence to the notion that CJF is in over his head.
Agreed. But analytics show that the decision to try for 1 was not the slam dunk some kind on here think it was...

If you truly believe that, “Analytics are garbage during a game,” then I don’t know what to tell you. Analytics are continually used throughout the game by better programs/franchises. I do not think you understand analytics or their application.

Reactions: Erial_Lion

Going for two was a great decision. We make that we are kicking a FG to tie at the end.

LdN

Reactions: GreatBasinNit
OMG......!!!!!!!!!

And - since every other f***ing play the entire game would have played out the exact same way as it did, Clifford woulda’ thrown an interception and PSU loses 31-30.

(Do ya’ see the stupidity of your hypothetical? Or are you hopeless?)

So your saying we would not have milked the clock down to 2 seconds and kicked the FG on the last drive? Way too many casual football fans on this site.

Analytics has it's place, but you still need to have a feel for the game. You came in as the perceived better team, you score twice in a row for the first time all game and the momentum which was so heavily shifted in their favor has started to come your way, and you hand it right back to them on the missed conversion. That attempt just screamed desperation with nearly a half of football still remaining and I don't doubt for one minute that the Minnesota coaching staff used that as a point to their players.

Analytics has it's place, but you still need to have a feel for the game. You came in as the perceived better team, you score twice in a row for the first time all game and the momentum which was so heavily shifted in their favor has started to come your way, and you hand it right back to them on the missed conversion. That attempt just screamed desperation with nearly a half of football still remaining and I don't doubt for one minute that the Minnesota coaching staff used that as a point to their players.

Desperation/panic is a Franklin calling card. Look no further than the Big 10 Championship when we went for it on 4th down multiple times in the first half around mid-field. Dude has no idea how to handle the stress.....

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT