ADVERTISEMENT

“The science is looking pretty unanimous on this one: Drivers of expensive cars are the worst.”

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
See the link below. From the article:

“(CNN) — The science is looking pretty unanimous on this one: Drivers of expensive cars are the worst.

A new study has found that drivers of flashy vehicles are less likely to stop and allow pedestrians to cross the road -- with the likelihood they'll slow down decreasing by 3% for every extra $1,000 that their vehicle is worth.

Researchers from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas speculated that the expensive car owners "felt a sense of superiority over other road users" and were less able to empathize with lowly sidewalk-dwellers.

They came to this conclusion after asking volunteers to cross a sidewalk hundreds of times, filming and analyzing the responses by car drivers.”

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/world/expensive-car-drivers-study-scli-scn-intl/index.html

Encounter it every summer in beach towns. With pedestrians in the crosswalk having the right of way, it’s always a Mercedes, BMW, or Lexus who blows by me or is annoyed when they have to stop while I walk in front of them. The more expensive the car, the slower I walk.

Living in a community with a golf course, the guys usually stop for golfers/pedestrians. Women stopping, uh not so much .

Didn't need this to know that, but it's nice to have some science back up what I learned from years on the road

BMW owners with large insurance policies and spoiled teen drivers behind the wheel contribute greatly to my firm's bottom line. Unfortunately, we usually end up representing their unrepentant asses.

Same with people in their expensive SUVs who think 4wd makes them invincible on snow-covered roads

When I had a 30 mile one way drive to work I would leave those guys in the dust on snow covered roads in my Geo Metro. Short wheel base, front wheel drive with most of the weight over the drive wheels made it stick in the snow. I enjoyed sitting in the left lane passing cars and trucks worth $40,000 more than my little putter. Once in a while I would give them a little wave as I went by.

Yes, Oh they're good! UNLV has the best studies as car studies go.

Last edited:
When I had a 30 mile one way drive to work I would leave those guys in the dust on snow covered roads in my Geo Metro. Short wheel base, front wheel drive with most of the weight over the drive wheels made it stick in the snow. I enjoyed sitting in the left lane passing cars and trucks worth $40,000 more than my little putter. Once in a while I would give them a little wave as I went by.
This reminded me of that musical classic "Beep, Beep". The guy in the Cadillac couldn't shake the "Little Nash Rambler"

Here’s my science report. Connecticut drivers are the world’s worst, regardless of what they drive, followed by Mass drivers as a close second.

Reactions: BBrown and AvgUser

"my Geo Metro" must be a Pitt grad.

Here’s my science report. Connecticut drivers are the world’s worst, regardless of what they drive, followed by Mass drivers as a close second.

The few times I have been in those regions, I would give the nod to Massachusettes the nod. In that state a stop sign is merely a suggestion and spped limits are lousy joke.

I’m betting you had decent tires, so many people don’t have decent tires

This costs $75k, does it apply?
Psw0TMN.jpg

“(CNN) — The science is looking pretty unanimous on this one: Drivers of expensive cars are the worst.

A new study has found that drivers of flashy vehicles are less likely to stop and allow pedestrians to cross the road -- with the likelihood they'll slow down decreasing by 3% for every extra $1,000 that their vehicle is worth.

Researchers from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas speculated that the expensive car owners "felt a sense of superiority over other road users" and were less able to empathize with lowly sidewalk-dwellers.

They came to this conclusion after asking volunteers to cross a sidewalk hundreds of times, filming and analyzing the responses by car drivers.”

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/world/expensive-car-drivers-study-scli-scn-intl/index.html
These are the people that are in a hurry to find their next Pokemon. :cool:

ME, NH, and VT are fine- it's the other three states that should drift out to sea- and take Jersey with them
Depending on one's age and perspective, one could expect that during the warranty period of a well-driven Hyndai.

Same with people in their expensive SUVs who think 4wd makes them invincible on snow-covered roads
I really don't get this. My wife complains and accuses me of what you believe. If a 2WD vehicle is going 5 miles an hour because of snow. Why shouldn't I go around him, if I am able to travel at a reasonable speed for the conditions? I'm not talking about my vehicle even going the speed limit. However, 15 or 20 mph is reasonable...5 mph not so much.

We need a study to research the correlation between beautiful women riding in expensive cars driven by ugly fat men. I believe that I already know the results.

Reactions: kickerinaz
Pfft. PA Drivers are the worst. The home state for "slow driving in the left lane".

My future son-in-law from NJ used to say that until he got a job in Delaware. Now it’s Delawareans.

The results are skewed by BMW drivers, who are virtually always assholes.
Mercedes drivers are generally gentlemen of style and taste.

BMW drivers are typically in their 30s or 40s. MB drivers are 50s and 60s. So you definitely have a difference in aggressiveness based on age demographics.

And for the record, I drive a BMW. I stop at all cross walks for pedestrians at all times. I also get cut off a lot more now on the interstate than when I was driving a Toyota. People go out of their way to be pricks to BMW drivers, because they assume BMW drivers are all pricks. Just my $0.02.

Definitely a lot of ass holes drive those cars. BMW, Mercedes, Audi's, etc. Not everyone of course.

BMW drivers are typically in their 30s or 40s. MB drivers are 50s and 60s. So you definitely have a difference in aggressiveness based on age demographics.

And for the record, I drive a BMW. I stop at all cross walks for pedestrians at all times. I also get cut off a lot more now on the interstate than when I was driving a Toyota. People go out of their way to be pricks to BMW drivers, because they assume BMW drivers are all pricks. Just my $0.02.

my fav bmw right now:
6cOMixf.jpg

what u got?

Reactions: BBrown
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT