ADVERTISEMENT

“49ers suspend radio analyst Tim Ryan for Lamar Jackson comments"

I'm not part of the PC crowd but it was a stupid comment. Someone call the Cleveland Browns and tell them to wear brown jerseys at every home game. Then the opposing team will have no idea who has the ball. It makes as much sense as what this guy said. And his type of apology always makes me shake my head.....

"I regret my choice of words in trying to describe the conditions of the game," Ryan said in the statement. "Lamar Jackson is an MVP-caliber player and I respect him greatly. I want to sincerely apologize to him and anyone else I offended."

So then if you weren't offended by what he said, he'll stand by his comment? It would have been more sincere had he not added the bolded words above.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU10 and BBrown
I don't know seems like a bad thing to say but really was it demeaning in any way? I remember back in the late 80's Michigan basketball had a super quick great defensive guard. Gary Grant , always sounded like Cary grant on radio broadcasts, but he was cat quick and good . He wore bright white sweatbands on both wrists and I remember thinking that made his hands a lot easier to see. He could have been a white guy wearing safety orange wristbands and all things the same showing his hands as easier to see. I dont see it as that big of a deal

I'm not part of the PC crowd but it was a stupid comment. Someone call the Cleveland Browns and tell them to wear brown jerseys at every home game. Then the opposing team will have no idea who has the ball. It makes as much sense as what this guy said. And his type of apology always makes me shake my head.....

"I regret my choice of words in trying to describe the conditions of the game," Ryan said in the statement. "Lamar Jackson is an MVP-caliber player and I respect him greatly. I want to sincerely apologize to him and anyone else I offended."

So then if you weren't offended by what he said, he'll stand by his comment? It would have been more sincere had he not added the bolded words above.
Well, ur handle sure does apply ...oh boy

Reactions: FJ47
Why cant we make the ball safety Orange or Yellow and not have to worry about it ? Or an alternate color with some of the neon uniforms and the dolphins

I'm all for sensitivity. I understand that the way I see the world may not be the way others see the world, thus I consider my words and actions before I say or do things around others. Having said that, on the surface this guy is right. What's next, the military can't darken their skin as camouflage in combat because it's inconsiderate? I think not. They do it because it helps conceal their presence.

Last edited:
Why cant we make the ball safety Orange or Yellow and not have to worry about it ? Or an alternate color with some of the neon uniforms and the dolphins
Well a white football was used "back in the day" and the players found it difficult to see against white uniforms.
At the risk of being called a racist, why is noting that someone has dark skin offensive?

Reactions: FJ47 and lionbacker
In a world where benign comments somehow get people in trouble all the time, those comments were pretty stupid.

1) The obvious interpretation
2) The only exposed skin to hide the ball is his arms.

Reactions: BBrown
Well a white football was used "back in the day" and the players found it difficult to see against white uniforms.
At the risk of being called a racist, why is noting that someone has dark skin offensive?
I totally agree ! We are all diffent and recognizing that and getting along isnt racist. the notion that everything is just the same in an albino world and how we see things is just crazy

His only "crime" was mentioning the color of Jackson's skin, there was no negative connotation associated to Jackson because of his race. Our local radio station is just trying to appease those who are always offended...

Reactions: lionbacker
I imagine that soon PETA will chime in about the senseless slaughter of pigs only to quench the blood lust of humans who enjoy watching this brutal sport.

Baseball pitchers aren't allowed to wear white sleeves. The lower levels of football have white stripes on the ball to make it more visible. His comments are probably true.

Supposedly, Pop Warner once had football shaped patches sewn on the midriffs of the uniforms at the Carlisle Indian School in an attempt to confuse the opposition.

It says something not good about our society that a guys says something in no way malicious and on the surface plausibly true and the immediate response is to suspend him. And nobody even discusses whether what he said might be true. Instead, we all have to pretend that he said something both malicious and obviously false.

The guys apology/follow up sounds like the guy in the weird chair in this video.

I can't find it now but I recall at one point seeing a picture of a jersey in the NFL used in the 1940s or so that was football colored brown and with white laces here and there on the jersey and was specifically meant to fool the defense. The NFL ended up banning it.

More political correctness garbage. No one is aloud to say anything anymore.

It was a stupid excuse regardless. Oh, the players standing five feet away couldn't see the ball because of the QBs skin color. Whaaaaahhh. LOL Shut the **** up.

I don't know seems like a bad thing to say but really was it demeaning in any way? I remember back in the late 80's Michigan basketball had a super quick great defensive guard. Gary Grant , always sounded like Cary grant on radio broadcasts, but he was cat quick and good . He wore bright white sweatbands on both wrists and I remember thinking that made his hands a lot easier to see. He could have been a white guy wearing safety orange wristbands and all things the same showing his hands as easier to see. I dont see it as that big of a deal

Why do I feel a white shoes/black shoes argument starting?:confused:

Reactions: glidresquirrel
Which race has made more money playing racist football as players?

Different argument/discussion entirely and don't care to get involved.
giphy.gif

Does anyone here remember Howard Cosell's legendary gaffe on MNF. Speaking of one of the Redskin's receivers he said, "......that little monkey can run". He was never accused of being a racist but I read somewhere long afterward that he was pretty trash in the booth that night' which was not uncommon.

Does anyone here remember Howard Cosell's legendary gaffe on MNF. Speaking of one of the Redskin's receivers he said, "......that little monkey can run". He was never accused of being a racist but I read somewhere long afterward that he was pretty trash in the booth that night' which was not uncommon.

I remember that. As I recall, he did catch some grief for that but he wasn't fired. And from what I've read, Howard was trashed in the booth a lot of the time.

I read a book by Al Michaels (the sportscaster) once and he had a great story in it involving Cosell and Tommy Lasorda. To see it, go about 40% of the way down at the link below to the paragraph that starts "At the end of the 1982 baseball season..."

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2014/10/31/al-michaels-howard-cosell-you-cant-make-excerpt

.."......that little monkey can run".<<
Is that his exact quote?

Plain and simple, what a STUPID thing to say!
Now we’re suspending people for saying stupid things? Holy shite....most of our broadcasters and talking heads will be out of work.

There have been lots of black QBs. How come this never came up before? Why don't you dye Garofolo's arms dark brown to even the skin color disparity?

This is not a racist comment so much as one that addresses race in the course of making a pathetic excuse for failure.

Pretty sure Lamar Jackson does not have a "racial advantage." He has an athletic advantage.

Now we’re suspending people for saying stupid things? Holy shite....most of our broadcasters and taking heads will be out of work.

There’s a difference between including everyone in one’s stupidity and dividing people with one’s stupidity.

:eek:

Last edited:
There have been lots of black QBs. How come this never came up before? Why don't you dye Garofolo's arms dark brown to even the skin color disparity?

This is not a racist comment so much as one that addresses race in the course of making a pathetic excuse for failure.

Pretty sure Lamar Jackson does not have a "racial advantage." He has an athletic advantage.
If Garofolo dyed his arms to get that advantage, he’s be called a racist.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT