ADVERTISEMENT

Zettel/Johnson best DT combo?

PennStateFacts

Aug 16, 2011
Since 2000 we've had some great DT combos such as Kennedy/Adams, Odrick/Still, Still/Hill, Hill/Jones and even Jones and Austin Johnson. If these two (Zettel and Johnson) follow suit and one, if not both, are All-Big Ten and even All-American, where would they rank among the Penn State greats?

Since 2000 we've had some great DT combos such as Kennedy/Adams, Odrick/Still, Still/Hill, Hill/Jones and even Jones and Austin Johnson. If these two (Zettel and Johnson) follow suit and one, if not both, are All-Big Ten and even All-American, where would they rank among the Penn State greats?
Watched a replay of the MD game last night on BTN...on their go-ahead drive the Terps got a lot of yards running over/thru AJ's tackle slot. Hopefully we don't see much of that this year.

We gonna do the Z sign the Buccos do when Zettel makes a tackle? It's a great combo. Let's not forget Tarow Barney who got nicked up last year. He looked huge at the Lift For Life Event.

I am not completely sold on how well AJ has played last year, and will have a lot to prove this year for me. I agree that Zettel is a beast and has All-American written all over him. Even so, I don't think any current DL combo will ever be as great as Reid and Smear, or good old Salt and Pepper (Millen & Clark) were as a DL duo!

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Our run defense was spectacular last year. Austin Johnson was probably the biggest reason for the improvement from a personnel angle. Shoops schemes the main reason for improvement. He plays the 1-tech and holds down the fort. That allows Zettel to get upfield and make plays. AJ will probably be a 1st round pick if he comes out.

First off, Reid/Smear and Clark/Millen are the best (imo)... but since 2000 we have had a lot of success in that department and they all have that 1, 1a kind of look.

I expect the trio of Zettel, Johnson, Barney could easily become the best outside of the first picks. A lot will depend on the supporting cast -- it always does. if the other 9 do their job, that inside tandem could really wreak havoc.

when you view the line over the years, you begin to appreciate just how successful we've been in that area.

I just look forward to watching them play this year. They are leaders -- maybe THE leaders -- of that D.

How soon they go in the Hall of Fame -- I think that can be decided later. But they are capable of anything. Both just super and they seem to play so well together.

Sean Spencer is a really terrific DL coach so it will be fun to see what he does to take advantage of their talents as well as the DEs. I bet we see a more attacking D this year because they're positionally sound and they have linebackers and a secondary who can chase people down if somebody beats a blitz.

They ran run blitz with Zettel last year and came up with some huge turnovers -- so I bet that happens some more. I'd love to see AJ get his first interception sometime.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT