ADVERTISEMENT

Zain/Yianni wrestle off location

So after the match me and my sons got separated in the crowd. My eldest was wandering across the hall, happened to look up and realized he was beside Anthony Cassar. My son said, “Congratulations champ, but I have to say that outfit is definitely Jersey!” Anthony laughed. FYI, he was wearing wife beater T-shirt, sweatpants, and toothpick in his mouth!

I got my pic with him and Bo, I will post later. Then I thought to look for Cael. And then realized, Freaking Cael Sanderson was my after thought. He should never be an afterthought!

Last edited:
So after the match me and my sons got separated in the crowd. My eldest was wondering across the hall, happened to look up and realized he was beside Anthony Cassar. My son said, “Congratulations champ, but I have to say that outfit is definitely Jersey!” Anthony laughed. FYI, he was wearing wife beater T-shirt, sweatpants, and toothpick in his mouth!

I got my pic with him and Bo, I will post later. Then I thought to look for Cael. And then realized, Freaking Cael Sanderson was my after thought. He should never be an afterthought!
What about DT? He shuffled out of there pretty quick. Not sure if he took pics with anybody .. Only saw Nolf from a distance didn’t catch RBY and saw Mark Hall leaving the parking lot.

Nomad pretending this is a controversy.

Here is a clip of the sequence:

Zain clearly initiates the roll-through and exposes, so I'm not sure what the controversy is.

Ironically this is a bit of role reversal; it's typically Yianni attempting the roll, often just as he's about to get exposed himself by the guy in on his legs. That's why he's so tough to beat in FS--he turns your points into his at the absolute last possible moment. But this was Zain's two. Maybe Nomad is implying that Yianni's back never broke the plane but I think it's clear enough he did, and it's not the type of call that's going to get reversed.

Nomad is a clickbait whore.

HERE WE GO! CHOOO CHOO.

-Zain gets a huge ovation. Looking slim thicc and ready.
-Yianni with a calm walk and some slaps.
- Audio cuts out.

- Elbow attack from Yianni. Blocked and nothing.
- Yianni aggressive. Zain taps the knee. Yianni shoots but nothing. 0-0 after one minute.
- Passive warning on Zain.
- Double from Zain. Yianni magic somehow stops it. Scramble. Maybe exposure?! Wowzer. Brick thrown.
- They finally have figured out how to do replays, but the auido is playing still and no idea what happened.
- 1-0 Yianni assuming bc of failed challenge?
- YIanni get's a leg. Zain exposes him. 2-1. Scramble. Stalemate.

I NEED A CIGARETTE.

- Yianni falls into a shot. Time runs out. 2-1 Zain at half.
- Yianni the aggressor but Zain's D was awesome.
-----------
- Yianni Shot reattack from Zain. Yianni dead, but then of course not. Now Zain in trouble. Yianni 2, but white paddled.
- 2-1 Zain, 2 minutes left.
- Yianni duck/shot blocked.
- That again.
- 1 minute left.
- Zain on a leg. Then two, but Yianni is just insane. Hangs on no points.
- 40 seconds.
- Tired shot from Yianni.
- Zain getting hands to face warning.
- Zain get to a leg and im scared. but he hangs on to a leg.
- Yianni starts kicking Zain in the head, but somehow Yianni gets one? NM white paddled.
- Yianni gives in with 10 seconds left goes for handshake, Zain too jacked. I'm sure people will cry about it.
- CHOO CHOO MOTHER ****ERS.
I didn't read the rest of the comments yet, but A+ for the PBP. Especially the last line;

Mark Hall was posing for many pics before the match. I actually totally missed DT. Saw Dake in Yianni’s corner. And also Jake Varner with Bo and Anthony. Heard RBY, Berge, and Nolf were there but did not see them at all.

Reactions: diggerpup
Mark Hall was posing for many pics before the match. I actually totally missed DT. Saw Dake in Yianni’s corner. And also Jake Varner with Bo and Anthony. Heard RBY, Berge, and Nolf were there but did not see them at all.
I probably missed a few notable Cornell wrestlers as well but I’m not going to lie, besides Dake / Dean & Yianni I wouldn’t be able to point them out.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Dude this is classic
ca029af1d68bfbeb15a84760741820d7.png

Seems each match these two have made adjustments to counter the others. In this match Yanni came at zain and was more offensive, zain picked his spots.

Im still wondering why PSU tossed the brick in the 1st. the video angle clearly to me didnt look like 2.

#ItrustinCael
I think it would have been 2 but Yianni had his hands locked before his butt hit the at

Seems each match these two have made adjustments to counter the others. In this match Yanni came at zain and was more offensive, zain picked his spots.

Im still wondering why PSU tossed the brick in the 1st. the video angle clearly to me didnt look like 2.

#ItrustinCael

My observation was....it was a brilliant challenge. Yanni was working around the back to get two and Cael challenged.....stopping the action. One is far better than a two in that position. Trust in Cael :)

We all know how strong Zain is but he really showed it when his shots didn't convert and Yianni tried to do Yianni stuff. Zain shut down that magic show, took it to stalemate with his strength - up to their feet.

I love Zain and how much of a gentleman he is but Yianni is cut from the same cloth.

Yianni in a post match interview on Flo said that one can't make the World team by scoring a single point. True reflection of his match but Zain was on.

Watching the match and these individuals in the post match interviews you have to be proud of both and this sport.

Congratulations to Zain, Cael, Cody and the rest of the NLWC staff.

A few months ago, someone started a thread that claimed Zain was overrated because he had not beaten any elite wrestlers. He has now beaten Yanni 3 times, along with Jordan Oliver and Frank Molinaro. I wonder if that person wants to reconsider their post.

Best wishes to Zain and all the other USA guys in the upcoming world championships!

Just watched this interview with Yianni and he just seems like a really cool kid! I don’t like how the whole arbitration stuff went down - wouldn’t have liked it if roles were reversed either, but there’s something likable about Yianni. Outside of when he’s competing against PSU or NLWC guys, he’s going to be very easy for me to root for in the future.

A few months ago, someone started a thread that claimed Zain was overrated because he had not beaten any elite wrestlers. He has now beaten Yanni 3 times, along with Jordan Oliver and Frank Molinaro. I wonder if that person wants to reconsider their post.

Best wishes to Zain and all the other USA guys in the upcoming world championships!

Angryfish I think??? Yeah, I think Zain kinda squashed that dudes claims this Summer!

Reactions: Dogwelder

Angryfish is an outlier, or a one-percenter with an agenda, and not worth quoting or mentioning. Focusing 100% on Zain, and not on any of the "noise" is my choice.

Just watched this interview with Yianni and he just seems like a really cool kid! I don’t like how the whole arbitration stuff went down - wouldn’t have liked it if roles were reversed either, but there’s something likable about Yianni. Outside of when he’s competing against PSU or NLWC guys, he’s going to be very easy for me to root for in the future.
I agree a very likable and well spoken young man. I hate to call them out but that is why Flo is so enamored with him. Also - he provides a lot of access which NLWC folks seemingly don't do

I also really like the interview with Yianni. It's kind of strange seeing him as bummed as he was because the kid rarely loses anything so you never see that side of him. It just goes to show how incredibly hard it is to make a world team and how good these guys are at their sport. Zain is an NCAA legend and Yianni is on his way to being one as well. To see two guys so decorated and of such high caliber is incredible to watch.

Don't think the Flo broadcast caught it, but someone timed a "We Are" just about perfectly when the pre-match music ended--making the PA announcer wait for it to finish to get things rolling. Great tone setter. From that point on, the house was all Zain's.
nerf, or anyone that attended... if you were to guess, how was the crowd aligned, ballpark guess (50/50, 60/40 Zain, 60/40 Yianni, etc.)?

For personal reasons, I was unable to go, so just asking. We sent a ton of emails (PSU to season ticket holders, NLWC to members, and PSWC to members, each sent two), prior to tickets going on sale in an attempt to get a decided home-mat advantage for Zain.

Reactions: PSU James
nerf, or anyone that attended... if you were to guess, how was the crowd aligned, ballpark guess (50/50, 60/40 Zain, 60/40 Yianni, etc.)?

For personal reasons, I was unable to go, so just asking. We sent a ton of emails (PSU to season ticket holders, NLWC to members, and PSWC to members, each sent two), prior to tickets going on sale in an attempt to get a decided home-mat advantage for Zain.
85 / 15 in favor of Zain

In hindsight, all of Zains fans should’ve worn orange to provide an orange out atmosphere.

60% PSU 10% Yanni 30% Benton

ADVERTISEMENT