ADVERTISEMENT

Zain Retherford named Penn State's Male Athlete of the Year

Lion8286

Sep 1, 2008
Congratulations to Zain!

A pair of All-Americans from Penn State’s two NCAA Championship teams this year have been selected the Nittany Lions’ Male and Female Student-Athletes of the Year for 2015-16. Sophomore wrestler Zain Retherford (Benton, Pa.) and women’s soccer senior standout Raquel Rodriguez (San Jose, Costa Rica) have been honored as Penn State’s top athletes.

Retherford and Rodriguez will be on the ballot for Big Ten Male and Female Athletes of the Year with honorees from the other 13 conference institutions.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-wrestl/spec-rel/061416aaa.html

Looked up the history of the Big Ten Male Athlete of the Year Award, and wrestlers get more than athletes from any other sport. In the 34 years that I could find (back to 1982), wrestlers won 9 times, despite a 17 year period (1986-2002) when no wrestler won. In the past 10 years, 5 wrestlers won (Konrad, Metcalf, Herbert, Taylor, Stieber).

Looked up the history of the Big Ten Male Athlete of the Year Award, and wrestlers get more than athletes from any other sport. In the 34 years that I could find (back to 1982), wrestlers won 9 times, despite a 17 year period (1986-2002) when no wrestler won. In the past 10 years, 5 wrestlers won (Konrad, Metcalf, Herbert, Taylor, Stieber).
Zain will have some stiff competition in Snyder, though. I can see a wrestler winning it again this year but unfortunately it probably will not be our guy. Snyder was recently named tOSU male athlete of the year. As World Champ i would think he may be in the running for NCAA athlete of the year, if they have that award.

Zain will have some stiff competition in Snyder, though. I can see a wrestler winning it again this year but unfortunately it probably will not be our guy. Snyder was recently named tOSU male athlete of the year. As World Champ i would think he may be in the running for NCAA athlete of the year, if they have that award.

Do you think Kyle returns to tOSU IF he wins Gold in Rio? Thanks

That's fine, I'm not saying either Zain or Kyle should win it. Didn't even look at the other 13 school's award winners. Congrats to all of them.

Just surprising, with the high profile sports like football and basketball, that wrestlers win it far more often. Surely a tribute to the strength of B1G Wrestling.

Agree. If I remember correctly he can keep prize money in escrow - he just has to forego endorsements while in college. If a revenue sport (or even an Olympic sport) with massive endorsements, that's one thing, but huge endorsements in Olympic sports are relatively rare outside of the mega-star like Phelps or those competing in the glamour sports like T&F, women's gymnastics or figure skating.

If he really likes being on his team and going for NCs, it may be worth foregoing 5 figures; if we're talking millions, that's a whole other deal.

Snyder skipped half of the wrestling season. Also don't think his World Championship should have anything to do with it. That being said, this is the Big Ten, and the Big Ten loves the Big Two.

Agree. If I remember correctly he can keep prize money in escrow - he just has to forego endorsements while in college. If a revenue sport (or even an Olympic sport) with massive endorsements, that's one thing, but huge endorsements in Olympic sports are relatively rare outside of the mega-star like Phelps or those competing in the glamour sports like T&F, women's gymnastics or figure skating.

If he really likes being on his team and going for NCs, it may be worth foregoing 5 figures; if we're talking millions, that's a whole other deal.

Bingo on the bolded part. I'm assuming he cannot just escrow any endorsement money like he can the $50K for winning the gold medal. If he can then I expect he returns and probably wins 2 more 285 titles, although I hope Nevills may have something to say about that. :)

Bingo on the bolded part. I'm assuming he cannot just escrow any endorsement money like he can the $50K for winning the gold medal. If he can then I expect he returns and probably wins 2 more 285 titles, although I hope Nevills may have something to say about that. :)

I just hope Nevills can hit the podium, Hwt returns a ton of talent, minus the Gwiz. I don't see Nick being in the same tier as Snyder, Medbery, Walz, or Coon. I'd put him in the next crowded pack with Dhesi, Kroells,Stoll

Last edited:
I just hope Nevills can hit the podium, Hwt returns a ton of talent, minus the Gwiz. I don't see Nick being in the same tier as Snyder, Medbery, Walz, or Coon. I'd put him in the next crowded pack with Dhesi, Kroells,Stoll
If NN podiums, it takes away an opportunity for Jammen to troll. That wouldn't be fair

Reactions: NittanyLion84
FWIW, Zain was name's BWI's PSU Male Athlete of the Year in their recent Year In Review issue, which came out before the PSU award. (Raquel Rodriguez was also BWI's PSU Female Athlete of the Year.)

Tim wrote a nice article about Zain, and also a nice article about the wrestling recruits.

Reactions: njmlee
That's fine, I'm not saying either Zain or Kyle should win it. Didn't even look at the other 13 school's award winners. Congrats to all of them.

Just surprising, with the high profile sports like football and basketball, that wrestlers win it far more often. Surely a tribute to the strength of B1G Wrestling.

Isaiah Martinez just named Illinois Athlete of the Year. That's at least 3 (25%) - haven't seen the rest of the schools. Off the top of my head, that is probably it, but agreed - wrestlers win this a disproportionate amount of times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT