ADVERTISEMENT

Zain Retherford, 2022 Freestyle World Team member at the U.S. Olympic Training Center

Love for him to get any medal. Hate this simpleton idea that a world medal suddenly vaults lesser folkstyle wrestlers onto a higher plane of general “wrestler” than those without such a medal. Freestyle and folkstyle are just different. At this moment, Joe Colon might be a better freestyle wrestler than, let’s say, Zain given Colon’s world medal, but get out of here with the better “wrestler” tag.

That said, if the scope of the debate is what it is, Id love Zain to get some freestyle validation.

He's ready to go. I remain on the "it takes at least 3 years to transition from folk to free and be able to compete at the world level" protocol.

I like hearing Zain appreciate not chasing a lower weight, and just like with DT this will pay big benefits. I hope Zain maximizes this window in time.

I can't wait to watch the next few years as Zain matures, Nick comes into the fold, Jason starts to peak... Then we can sit back and watch Carter and Aaron transition over as well.

It's taken me more than three years to warm to Freestyle, but I am starting to get there as a fan.

It certainly doesn't hurt when the pipeline is chock full of blue and white!

Man I hate freestyle.

Might as well have the wrestlers ditch the singlet for a mawashi and admit the shove point is sumo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT