ADVERTISEMENT

Zahid Valencia

Robin Ficker made sure that I never forget the name "Headlock Sheptock"

In 2016, I was driving across I-68 in western Maryland.

Somewhere in those mountains, our man Robin Ficker had put up a sign that said:

FICKER FOR CONGRESS: JOBS! JOBS! JOBS!!!!!!

I was laughing hysterically and had to explain to my friends that that man was a sleazy lawyer and a semi-professional sports heckler.

Anyone who speaks German will appreciate what "Ficker" means in German.

When I was at Bloomsburg 1979-1980 I was friends with a lot of the wrestlers. I can tell you they would of had trouble putting out a full team if they would have screened for pot and/or speed.
The weight cuts were unbelievable. From guys drinking, gorging on a Saturday night. They would make themselves "yak" late at night and/or would be be wearing garbage bags to get in sauana the next few days.
It certainly was a different time for wrestling.

Reactions: garw
For lack of a better thread, the only word about Fix was from Mineo, right? It has been a few more days, without official word from anyone, so was that fake news? I know Willie implied it was. That is pretty damaging stuff to be throwing out there.

In 2016, I was driving across I-68 in western Maryland.

Somewhere in those mountains, our man Robin Ficker had put up a sign that said:

FICKER FOR CONGRESS: JOBS! JOBS! JOBS!!!!!!

I was laughing hysterically and had to explain to my friends that that man was a sleazy lawyer and a semi-professional sports heckler.

Anyone who speaks German will appreciate what "Ficker" means in German.

Ja, er ist eine huhne ficker

For lack of a better thread, the only word about Fix was from Mineo, right? It has been a few more days, without official word from anyone, so was that fake news? I know Willie implied it was. That is pretty damaging stuff to be throwing out there.

I would think if it was completely false we would have heard Fix or OK St come out and deny it pretty quick. The fact that they've been pretty quite after that rumor came out makes me think it has some validity.

I would think if it was completely false we would have heard Fix or OK St come out and deny it pretty quick. The fact that they've been pretty quite after that rumor came out makes me think it has some validity.

The number of reputable media outlets that have reported the Fix “news” is zero.

What is there to deny?

Why give the rumor pusher the validity of any response at all?

That person is insignificant to anyone outside his own ego, let alone to OKST wrestling.

Why give the rumor pusher the validity of any response at all?

That person is insignificant to anyone outside his own ego, let alone to OKST wrestling.

True, I definitely see that point, but he was partially right about Zahid. If it was me and a rumor like that got big enough, I'd want to squash it as fast as possible. Maybe not an official statement from Ok St, but maybe Dayton calls up one of the reputable wrestling journalists and says "Hey, I hear this rumor going around and I just wanted to go on the record that it is 100% false." But hey I'm by no means a PR expert.

True, I definitely see that point, but he was partially right about Zahid. If it was me and a rumor like that got big enough, I'd want to squash it as fast as possible. Maybe not an official statement from Ok St, but maybe Dayton calls up one of the reputable wrestling journalists and says "Hey, I hear this rumor going around and I just wanted to go on the record that it is 100% false." But hey I'm by no means a PR expert.
They could be sitting back to let Mineo build the libel case against himself.

Reactions: CholleyVandine
Can it be 51% true? Seems kind of binary to me.

So why do people continue to quote him? Just for the TMZ effect?

i’m not sure what people you mean. He gets some right. He gets some wrong. And he’s dishonest about the ones he gets wrong. Nobody should take any “news” he breaks at face value.

That’s not what happened in this case. He Tweeted the tip about Zahid. He had important pieces of that news wrong (for instance, he said Zahid failed a drug test at the UWW event in Rome; UWW has said that is not true), but a reporter at a news organization in Arizona called ASU and got them to confirm that Zahid has been suspended. (All you need to know about Mineo’s credibility is he apparently didn’t bother to call ASU himself to ask them if the Zahid news was true.) Without the reporter making those calls, the news probably would not have made it out of Mineo’s Twitter account.

No credible source is reporting the Fix “news.”

By denying it publicly, Fix would be inviting legitimate news sources to discuss it. He would literally be creating a story about his drug use that does not currently exist.

No credible source is reporting the Fix “news.”

By denying it publicly, Fix would be inviting legitimate news sources to discuss it. He would literally be creating a story about his drug use that does not currently exist.

Makes sense, I retract my earlier statement. Good thing I never pursed that career in public relations.

FWIW Pat Mineo isn’t always right with what he reports, but he just posted that younger brother Cael Valencia, is not going to go to ASU and is a PSU probable now. Cael is an absolute monster and would be a great get.
We need to check with Willie for confirmation.
This would be really cool.

Reactions: diggerpup
Valencia would make absolutely no sense unless he is a future 197 guy. We just had Kibe and Facundo commit.

Talented kids who’ve never been in trouble?
I am sure the same could have been said about Zahid as a high schooler. Individual NCAA results are not the end all be all when you are trying to win team titles. There just seems like a lot of baggage with this family. The dad could be a nightmare.

I am sure the same could have been said about Zahid as a high schooler. Individual NCAA results are not the end all be all when you are trying to win team titles. There just seems like a lot of baggage with this family. The dad could be a nightmare.
Please. PSU was the runner-up for Zahid + Anthony. If Cael is pursuing the younger brother, he knows the family.

Well I am saying we may have dodged a bullet. These guys are toxic. Maybe the younger brother will be different. I like the recruits we have and have signed up. Getting the wrong type of kids into the room is how a dynasty can go down.

Well I am saying we may have dodged a bullet. These guys are toxic. Maybe the younger brother will be different. I like the recruits we have and have signed up. Getting the wrong type of kids into the room is how a dynasty can go down.
I trust Cael.

I also don't believe Mineo without confirmation.

Both of them have earned that.

Yeah. Thank God we didn't get Kyle Dake. You know, he couldn't hold a weight growing every year like did and acting like a jerk like does. That could have been toxic.

Reactions: tabenn
ADVERTISEMENT