Showing my timeline!
Honorable Mention:
Jackson Browne...Running on Empty
Grateful Dead...Skull and Roses
Fleetwood Mac...Rumors
Derek and the Dominos...Layla ****
Carole King...Tapestry
Buffalo Springfield...Retrospective
Traffic...Low Spark of High-heeled Boys and on and on..........
The Band...Stage Fright

0_E343191-6746-47_C0-_A0_FE-_F41558_D78529.jpg

8983054_F-16_FA-4_DE1-9432-964_CA0_C7_C026.jpg

F7602987-_CCEE-49_BE-8_C0_B-23_F15_CEFFE70.jpg

5_B38_ECBF-_E731-4_B43-9536-_FC558_D89_CC2_B.jpg

40_EAA1_B2-5_ABB-4544-8_A37-1_FAC85_F14_E31.jpg

Reactions: TenerHallTerror

Had Pandora on today while working out, jam band channel. They played a killer version of Low Spark covered by Widespread Panic. Two songs later Not Fade Away into GDTRFB from Skull and Roses. Of all the versions I've heard of these two tunes, this is possibly the best.
Tenor, thanks for the Buffalo H/S/F 26 minutes of bliss

Reactions: WyomingLion
In the Metal Realm \m/

Judas Priest - Sad wings of Destiny
Volbeat - Beyond Hell/Above Heaven
Motorhead - Inferno
Rose Tattoo - Rose Tattoo
Slash - Slash

91-1rHCes9L._SX355_.jpg

10%2C000ManiacsInMyTribe.jpg

JCSS70.jpg

220px-Sleeve_of_Making_Movies.svg.png

Neil_Young_Rust_Never_Sleeps.jpg

Criteria -- albums I've listened to the most over the years. Picking 5 favorites is tough, that list shifts around all the time.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
This is tough

Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here
David Bowie- Ziggy Stardust
Skynrd- One More From the Road
Zep- The Song Remains the Same
Neil Young- Rust Never Sleeps

What's wierd is that I am usually not a big fan of live albums but the two on my list I think just capture the energy of the bands along with playing the best songs from several studio albums.

This is tough

Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here
David Bowie- Ziggy Stardust
Skynrd- One More From the Road
Zep- The Song Remains the Same
Neil Young- Rust Never Sleeps

What's wierd is that I am usually not a big fan of live albums but the two on my list I think just capture the energy of the bands along with playing the best songs from several studio albums.

I'm generally not a fan of live albums either but, there are a two that are my absolute favorites. Pearl jam when they did unplugged back in the early 90's. And this gem. An absolute must have record for the style of music i like.

1 Miles Davis, "Kind of Blue": Whether you like jazz or don't like jazz is irrelevant. It is one of the great musical masterpieces ever created. Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Bill Evans, Cannonball Adderly, Paul Chambers and Jimmy Cobb all on the same album, creating more than just songs. They created a musical architecture.

2. Rolling Stones, "Exile on Main Street": The most perfect elucidation of what 'rock and roll' ever was and ever will be. It sounds like a train going off the tracks and yet is simultaneously melodic and just musically perfect.

3. Van Morrison, "Astral Weeks": Nothing like it before, nothing like it since. Recorded in an absolute frenzy. An amazing band given the freedom to complement Van's insane songwriting. Long story short, Morrison hated "Brown Eyed Girl" and the fact that it became such a huge hit; this is his musical/philosophical response.

4. Oasis, "Definitely Maybe": Unabashed, in your face, huge/loud chord progressions, brilliant performance. And, at that moment and time, the best rock singer in the world.

5. Tie: The Clash, "London Calling;" Wilco, "Being there;" Ryan Adams, "Heartbreaker;" Whiskeytown, "Strangers Almanac;" Drive By Truckers, "Decoration Day"

Yes, they are quite good. Have you had the pleasure of seeing Oteil with Dead and Co? Coming form a Deadhead, I have to say they are the best reconfiguration since Jerry died (Other than Fare Thee Well). Oteil fits right in, and he is actually singing lead vocals on some songs. He has a nice voice, and kills it on bass.

I just can’t past John Mayer regardless of reviews. And I’m aware of his cred with players like Buddy Guy and even Clapton. I just can’t bring myself to it.

4 way street- CSNY
Live Fillmore East - Allman Brothers
Greatest Tits - Michael McCloud
Todays' yesterday- Jordan Brothers
Woodstock- Various

Reactions: WyomingLion
1 Miles Davis, "Kind of Blue": Whether you like jazz or don't like jazz is irrelevant. It is one of the great musical masterpieces ever created. Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Bill Evans, Cannonball Adderly, Paul Chambers and Jimmy Cobb all on the same album, creating more than just songs. They created a musical architecture.

2. Rolling Stones, "Exile on Main Street": The most perfect elucidation of what 'rock and roll' ever was and ever will be. It sounds like a train going off the tracks and yet is simultaneously melodic and just musically perfect.

3. Van Morrison, "Astral Weeks": Nothing like it before, nothing like it since. Recorded in an absolute frenzy. An amazing band given the freedom to complement Van's insane songwriting. Long story short, Morrison hated "Brown Eyed Girl" and the fact that it became such a huge hit; this is his musical/philosophical response.

4. Oasis, "Definitely Maybe": Unabashed, in your face, huge/loud chord progressions, brilliant performance. And, at that moment and time, the best rock singer in the world.

5. Tie: The Clash, "London Calling;" Wilco, "Being there;" Ryan Adams, "Heartbreaker;" Whiskeytown, "Strangers Almanac;" Drive By Truckers, "Decoration Day"

Being There was an album that I reluctantly switched out of my list. That one changed my musical tastes quite a bit. I was a pure rock and roll fan before that album, but Being There introduces my to more of the folky-country-“alt-country” sound. I bought it for Outtasite (Outta Mind) but the other songs on there blew me away.

I just can’t past John Mayer regardless of reviews. And I’m aware of his cred with players like Buddy Guy and even Clapton. I just can’t bring myself to it.
That my take on two notable groups, maybe three.

Pink Floyd
Jimi Hendrix
LeD Zeppelin

Pink Floyd? I just don't get them at all. If im in the car listening to music and they come on, my fingers cant get to the knob fast enough

Henrix and Led Zeppelin - Both have their moments and songs that to which I will listen. But, they are both middle of the road in my "like" category.

I'm a sucker for live albums
Lynyrd Skynyrd - One more from the road
Allmans - Fillmore East
Kinks - One for the road

But two non-live albums
Rolling Stones - Some Girls
Who's Next

I love live music. I love Springsteen and if I want to listen to Darkness or Born To Run. I just play Live at Agora. Get some
other great stuff too. Love the Stones Live. Love You Live. A favorite of mine that not many people talk about is Ian Hunter - Welcome To
The Club. His own stuff. Plus, a lot of Mott stuff too. Who's Next gotta be on any list. I'll throw London Calling in mine.

Beatles White Album
Stones Sticky Fingers
CSNY Deja Vu
Paul Simon Still Crazy After All These Years
Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

But man, gotta put The Wall or Dark Side of the Moon in there someplace.

Reactions: lb lion
1) Rush - Hemispheres
2) Yes - Yessongs
3) Boston - Boston
4) Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
5) Kansas - Two For The Show

ADVERTISEMENT