ADVERTISEMENT

YOUR top five albums.

This almost impossible for me to come up with as it could change every day. Today, here is what I got:

Born_to_Run_%28Front_Cover%29.jpg

album-cover-rage-against-the-machine-evil-empire.jpg

Harvest_-_neil_young.jpg

Rancid_-_...And_Out_Come_the_Wolves_cover.jpg

stereo_westerberg.jpg

Funny...I had that one saved off. Was gonna post that and Opiate. To be honest I was gonna have all 5 tool albums (with Salavial as an extra...No Quarter and You Lied are 2 of my favorite covers of all time) but thought to mix it up a bit with others I loved in high school.

I had a Mitsubishi Eclipse with a 6 disc cd changer (yes...I’m that old) and it was always loaded with Tool cd’s. I used to go to music stores and buy bootleg concert cd’s before bands were putting them out on their own. I could listen to every tool cd front to back without skipping one track. If I don’t get a new record in 2018 I’m gonna lose my $hit!

At least Maynard puts out new stuff with APC and Puscifer. Still - nothing like Tool. Saw them in concert for the second time last year - was hoping they might have something new to test but alas, they didn’t. Still blew the doors off the place.

Great post, dude. Shows how age is truly relative. I am familiar with Nine Inch Nails, but I will check out Tool just for my personal edification.

Have to admit that I have pretty much skipped from rock and New Wave to rap. That is a function of being the father of two 21 year-old boys and a 17 year-old boy. I went on the Cal Board the other day and, in a thread that had something to do with music, threw down some lines from a Migos rap. Boy, did that prompt a reaction!

Tool are prog/math rock - their drummer is insanely good and they’re known for playing with irregular time signatures. They’re very protective of their brand - they don’t do soundtracks or any other commercial ventures (though individual band members do so with other projects). Everything is art and meaningful - videos, packaging, etc.

We've gotta be the same age. I'd have to put Nirvana Nevermind in there though.

I was also a big fan of Hellbilly Deluxe.

I thought that might be a bit cliche, but it holds up extremely well. You could release that album today and people would say there’s nothing like it. If anything, Kurt is vastly underrated as a songwriter.

Great thread. For a frame of reference, being a child of the 60's there are many albums other posters listed that have made the rounds on my turntable, Sony real to real, tape player, CD player, and now PC, dozens of times. So I will offer one album I am fond of I rarely see mentioned. There are no top ten AM/FM hits, just great Chicago blues from the mid sixties with strong guitar, piano, harmonica, and vocals. Maybe the oldest album listed in this thread, and the jacket pic should bring the Blues Brothers movie to mind.

Nittany19 and mrtailgate: I have every one of the Allman Brothers' albums, and I love them all. Have seen them in concert roughly six times. Blue Sky (which I regard as their single best song) is not on the Fillmore East album, but IS on Eat a Peach, along with a number of other great tunes. As good as the renditions ot Statesboro Blues, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed and (especially) Whipping Post were, I put Eat a Peach ahead of the Live at Fillmore East album. I would readily acknowledge, however, that it's a matter of taste. Glad you like the Allman Brothers. SO SAD that Gregg has died, and we will not see them tour again.

Not like, love. First band I listened to back in '72, and was blown away. Still am to this day. I agree with you about Blue Sky. Interesting that it's one that Dickie wrote, and not Gregg. Bty, Dickie is putting together a tour with shows to be announced shortly. His son and Gregg's son are in a band together right now and are touring.

As far as Fillmore being live and not new material, I kind of disagree. Back then, it was new to them.
I too miss those Beacon runs. It was an annual event for us. I think I saw you there Mr Tailgate.

Reactions: Bob78 and Cosmos
Grateful Dead - 5/8/77
Grateful Dead - 7/8/78
Grateful Dead - 3/15/90
Grateful Dead - 3/29/90
Grateful Dead - 2/11/69

Very hard to narrow down to 5. Cornell 77 is their most famous, and very good, but there were two shows in Boston on that tour that were great. 3/29/90 was Nassau, I think I caught it. A good Nassau show was 4/12/82. We were there and it was very hot. Any 87 shows were very good, after Jerry came back from the coma. 79 and 80 at PSU were also quite good.

They are all gems that’s for sure. Every March for the past couple of years has been missing something - the Brothers at the Beacon. I submit for your consideration The Tedeschi Trucks Band. I followed both Susan and Derek and saw each countless times and have been a big fan of TTB from the outset. I do miss that Oteil played and toured in support of the first album, then left to join in Dead and Co. The torch is passed to TTB, check them out.

Yes, they are quite good. Have you had the pleasure of seeing Oteil with Dead and Co? Coming form a Deadhead, I have to say they are the best reconfiguration since Jerry died (Other than Fare Thee Well). Oteil fits right in, and he is actually singing lead vocals on some songs. He has a nice voice, and kills it on bass.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
In no particular order:

11873924_Alt11

Looking for music that I might not have heard of.. I know there are a ton of bands with one hit wonders. Looking for albums you guys grew up on.Don't want single songs as i wanna listen to the full album. I want top 5.. These are mine, in no particular order.. ... GO!

Looking for music that I might not have heard of.. I know there are a ton of bands with one hit wonders. Looking for albums you guys grew up on.Don't want single songs as i wanna listen to the full album. I want top 5.. These are mine, in no particular order.. ... GO!

Put these on a turntable and don't spare the ears.

61ut%2BBJ6lNL._SS500.jpg
61UVfrLJq2L._SS500.jpg
51EYv6fXv9L._SS500.jpg
513U2uhNHgL._SS500.jpg
61TsDf%2BbAsL._SS500.jpg

Reactions: Gnat91
BTW, the best Stones live album is no longer YaYa's. It has been supplanted by the Brussel's Affair. No contest really. When asked about Mick Taylor, Keith said "They told us we were getting a guitar player. I didn't know we were getting a f****ng prodigy."

1. "Brown Sugar" 3:54
2. "Gimme Shelter" 5:31
3. "Happy" 3:13
4. "Tumbling Dice" 5:02
5. "Star****er" 4:15
6. "Dancing with Mr. D." 4:36
7. "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)" 5:01
8. "Angie" 5:13
9. "You Can't Always Get What You Want" 10:57
10. "Midnight Rambler" 12:49
11. "Honky Tonk Women" 3:10
12. "All Down the Line" 4:19
13. "Rip This Joint" 2:24
14. "Jumpin' Jack Flash" 3:26
15. "Street Fighting Man" 5:13

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob78 and AvgUser

Dark side
Rage self titled
Fugazi 13 songs
Zep 3
ABB where it all begins
5a blues traveler save his soul

Not like, love. First band I listened to back in '72, and was blown away. Still am to this day. I agree with you about Blue Sky. Interesting that it's one that Dickie wrote, and not Gregg. Bty, Dickie is putting together a tour with shows to be announced shortly. His son and Gregg's son are in a band together right now and are touring.

As far as Fillmore being live and not new material, I kind of disagree. Back then, it was new to them.
I too miss those Beacon runs. It was an annual event for us. I think I saw you there Mr Tailgate.

Saw ABB a ton of times, Beacon in 97/8 ish was SICK! Special guest Bela Fleck.

Saw ABB a ton of times, Beacon in 97/8 ish was SICK! Special guest Bela Fleck.

Caught a few specials guests with them. John popper, Frampton, a horn section. The most surprising one was Bruce Willis. He came out and played harmonica on several songs. He was actually not bad

J.J. Grey & Mofro Brighter Days
Amos Lee Last Days at the Lodge
Mudcrutch Mudcrutch
Benjy Davis Project Still Local
The Traveling Wilburys Collection

Since the meaning of the OP was for the whole album to be good start to finish

Two from the Beastie's

The psychedelic concoction and sample masterpiece --- Pauls Boutique

The bridging of rock- alternative- rap in -----Check Your Head

Mine seems to be fluid, based on whatever I’m going through at that point in my life. Right now, here we go;

Def Leppard - Pyromania
Bruce Springsteen- Darkness On The Edge Of Town
The Knack - Get The Knack
Donnie Iris - King Cool
Journey - Captured

As a sidenote, Donnie Iris has been doing his 75th birthday celebration shows at the Palace Theater in Greensburg. Two sold out shows already, and a third coming March 10. If you’re anywhere near the area, I suggest getting tickets. The shows have been dynamite so far.

AC/DC- back in black

Pearl Jam - 10 (I’m not the biggest PJ fan but that’s great album)

GNR - Appetite for Destruction

Motley Crue - shout at the devil

Harold Melvin and Blue Notes - greatest hits featuring Teddy Pendergrass on lead vocals

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Supertramp, Breakfast in America
Eagles, Hotel California
Elton John, Captain Fantastic
Hootie and the Blowfish, Cracked Rear View
Toby Keith, Greatest Hits

Reactions: Cosmos
1. Revolver - The Beatles Greatest band at their creative zenith.
2. Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen Paints a picture with lyrics and music.
3. Aja - Steely Dan Made to be played deep in the night.
4. Moondance - Van Morrison Rocks unique stylist at his eclectic best.
5. Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan Emotional peak for great songwriter.
6. Deja Vu - CSN&Y The trainwreck captures lightening in a bottle.
7. Graceland - Paul Simon Multi-culture infused inspiration.
8. Who's Next - The Who Diverse collection from Rock greats.
9. Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys Not so much timeless as standing outside of time.
10. Making Movies - Dire Straits Overlooked band and album hits on all cylinders.

I'm a sucker for live albums
Lynyrd Skynyrd - One more from the road
Allmans - Fillmore East
Kinks - One for the road

But two non-live albums
Rolling Stones - Some Girls
Who's Next

love it never thought I would see a Krishna core band on this site. Shelter and 108 were some of my favorite bands growing up

Last edited:
Van Halen1
Alice In Chains Dirt
Pearl Jam 10
Guns N’ Roses appetite for destruction
Metallica ride the lightning

Ok, so this thread totally got me binge listening to stuff, mostly ABB, RIP Duane, Gregg and Butch.

I ended up on the RATM performance on Letterman, 1996, Bulls on Parade. Watch it, I think the drummer is wearing a LaVar jersey!

Reactions: silverbakdevil
1. Revolver - The Beatles Greatest band at their creative zenith.
2. Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen Paints a picture with lyrics and music.
3. Aja - Steely Dan Made to be played deep in the night.
4. Moondance - Van Morrison Rocks unique stylist at his eclectic best.
5. Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan Emotional peak for great songwriter.
6. Deja Vu - CSN&Y The trainwreck captures lightening in a bottle.
7. Graceland - Paul Simon Multi-culture infused inspiration.
8. Who's Next - The Who Diverse collection from Rock greats.
9. Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys Not so much timeless as standing outside of time.
10. Making Movies - Dire Straits Overlooked band and album hits on all cylinders.

That’s a great list, but it’s 10, not 5!
Hard to believe I didn’t have Aja on my list. Definitely one of the top 5 played albums in my life.
Making Movies is another classic. I only got it originally because Roy Brittany from the E Street Band plays keyboards on it, but it quickly emerged as a great album on its own merits.
Pet Sounds just doesn’t work for me. Maybe it was too hyped by time I listened to it.

They are all gems that’s for sure. Every March for the past couple of years has been missing something - the Brothers at the Beacon. I submit for your consideration The Tedeschi Trucks Band. I followed both Susan and Derek and saw each countless times and have been a big fan of TTB from the outset. I do miss that Oteil played and toured in support of the first album, then left to join in Dead and Co. The torch is passed to TTB, check them out.
Just Googled "Dicky Betts" for the hell of it, and it turns out he will be touring this year. Hope he makes it out west on that tour. He will apparently be reprising Allman Brothers songs with his son, Duane (!) Betts, playing guitar duos alongside him. Kind of eerie, that.

BTW, the best Stones live album is no longer YaYa's. It has been supplanted by the Brussel's Affair. No contest really.

How can a Stones live album that fails to include "It's only rock 'n roll" be considered their best live album?!

How can a Stones live album that fails to include "It's only rock 'n roll" be considered their best live album?!
This was recorded in 1973. It's Only Rock and Roll was released in 1974. YaYa's was released in 1970. So....there is no live Stones album w/ that song on it.

This was recorded in 1973. It's Only Rock and Roll was released in 1974. YaYa's was released in 1970. So....there is no live Stones album w/ that song on it.
Dude: One of the five albums I listed in my initial post on this thread has "It's only rock 'n roll" on it. "Love you Live" was released in 1977, and the material on it is live recordings from the Stones' "Tour of America" in the summer of 1975, and their "Tour of Europe" shows in 1976. I saw them for the first time (at the L.A. Forum) on their Tour of America, and thought IORR was their best live song. Which was a revelation, because the studio version of IORR that came out in 1974 is comparatively slow and lackluster.

Very hard to narrow down to 5. Cornell 77 is their most famous, and very good, but there were two shows in Boston on that tour that were great. 3/29/90 was Nassau, I think I caught it. A good Nassau show was 4/12/82. We were there and it was very hot. Any 87 shows were very good, after Jerry came back from the coma. 79 and 80 at PSU were also quite good.

that 80 Rec Hall show has one killer "Other One" . . .

the Boston Garden 77 show is great, but the opening H/S/F from 5/9/77 Buffalo is ta die for:

Dude: One of the five albums I listed in my initial post on this thread has "It's only rock 'n roll" on it. "Love you Live" was released in 1977, and the material on it is live recordings from the Stones' "Tour of America" in the summer of 1975, and their "Tour of Europe" shows in 1976. I saw them for the first time (at the L.A. Forum) on their Tour of America, and thought IORR was their best live song. Which was a revelation, because the studio version of IORR that came out in 1974 is comparatively slow and lackluster.
Point taken. Ronnie Wood vs. Mick Taylor isn't a fair fight though. It would be nice to have this show out there:

Last edited:
Agree that Blue Sky is their best song. Eat A Peach is their most refined album but Live at the Filmore is the best album. Honorable mention Greg Allman Laid Back. You don’t love me and Stormy Monday...what can I say ...Classic.
Marty Robbins - The Story of my Life
Harry Chapin - Greatest Stories Live

Reactions: WyomingLion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT