ADVERTISEMENT

YOUR top five albums.

Gnat91

Dec 28, 2016
Jacksonville FL.
Looking for music that I might not have heard of.. I know there are a ton of bands with one hit wonders. Looking for albums you guys grew up on.Don't want single songs as i wanna listen to the full album. I want top 5.. These are mine, in no particular order.. ... GO!

In no particular order:

11873924_Alt11

My top five? A heavy dose of the 70's and 80's:

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Stones - Exile on Main Street
The Clash - The Clash
Purple Rain - Prince
Stop Making Sense - Talking Heads

Can’t just name my top 5. My favorites are as follows (and I’m sure most of you have not hear some of these). Deep Purple- Machine Head, Led Zeppelin IV, Led Zeppelin I, Sabbath - Paranoid, Uriah Heep - Salisbury, Lucifer’s Friend - Lucifer’s Friend, Lucifer’s Friend - Where The Groupies Killed The Blues, UFO - Lights Out, Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak, Scorpions - Fly to the Rainbow, Scorpions - In Trance, Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny, Golden Earring - Moontan

Boston
Hotel California
Thriller
Johnny Cash at San Quentin
Talking Heads Stop Making Sense

Not necessarily in that order. And, subject to change depending on my mood.

Looking for music that I might not have heard of.. I know there are a ton of bands with one hit wonders. Looking for albums you guys grew up on.Don't want single songs as i wanna listen to the full album. I want top 5.. These are mine, in no particular order.. ... GO!

I can't believe this topic has never been really discussed before (noting we've done a lot of favorite music threads....). If the criteria is 'complete albums', here's my first attempt - mostly from the gut....

1. nine inch nails - the downward spiral

81bJqjs3hrL._SL1400_.jpg

2. Tool - Aenima

516r-3aiTvL.jpg

3. Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel....

91UxOoJ0gcL._SL1500_.jpg

4. Radiohead - OK Computer

91eIIIfAlSL._SL1500_.jpg

5. Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes

R-402791-1204912448.jpeg.jpg

Allman Brothers Band - Live at Fillmore East

David Bowie - Rise and Fall of Ziggy Startdust and the Spiders from Mars

Patti Smith - Horses

Bob Marley - Exodus

The Clash - London Calling

But for those who lived through it, hard to have any list of greatest albums without Sgt Pepper on it. It was groundbreaking for sure.

LOL - no '10,000 Days'?

Funny...I had that one saved off. Was gonna post that and Opiate. To be honest I was gonna have all 5 tool albums (with Salavial as an extra...No Quarter and You Lied are 2 of my favorite covers of all time) but thought to mix it up a bit with others I loved in high school.

I had a Mitsubishi Eclipse with a 6 disc cd changer (yes...I’m that old) and it was always loaded with Tool cd’s. I used to go to music stores and buy bootleg concert cd’s before bands were putting them out on their own. I could listen to every tool cd front to back without skipping one track. If I don’t get a new record in 2018 I’m gonna lose my $hit!

I can't believe this topic has never been really discussed before (noting we've done a lot of favorite music threads....). If the criteria is 'complete albums', here's my first attempt - mostly from the gut....

1. nine inch nails - the downward spiral

81bJqjs3hrL._SL1400_.jpg

2. Tool - Aenima

516r-3aiTvL.jpg

3. Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel....

91UxOoJ0gcL._SL1500_.jpg

4. Radiohead - OK Computer

91eIIIfAlSL._SL1500_.jpg

5. Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes

R-402791-1204912448.jpeg.jpg

We've gotta be the same age. I'd have to put Nirvana Nevermind in there though.

I was also a big fan of Hellbilly Deluxe.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I had a Mitsubishi Eclipse with a 6 disc cd changer (yes...I’m that old) and it was always loaded with Tool cd’s. QUOTE]

You’re “that old?” LOL, have you ever heard of an eight track tape player?

This thread reveals posters’ age as much as anything else. No disrespect intended, but I’ve never heard of Tool.

Last edited:

Haha! You win Lafayette Bear....

I say that because I was cleaning my garage over the holidays and my 10 year old daughter found my CD’s and said “daddy...what movies are these??” I said “honey...those are Cd’s”. She said “what are CD’s??” A little bit of me died that day!!

As a side note...tool was one of the side streets Of the industrial metal scene. They were along the lines of Nine inch nails. I always recommend them but don’t expect people to like them. They are very cerebral. I describe them as a great steak dinner. It takes time to get it, but when you do it’s delicious.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill
Captain Beyond - Captain Beyond
Eagles - Desperado
Deep Purple - Machine Head
Humble Pie - Rock On

I say that because I was cleaning my garage over the holidays and my 10 year old daughter found my CD’s and said “daddy...what movies are these??” I said “honey...those are Cd’s”. She said “what are CD’s??” A little bit of me died that day!!

As a side note...tool was one of the side streets Of the industrial metal scene. They were along the lines of Nine inch nails. I always recommend them but don’t expect people to like them. They are very cerebral. I describe them as a great steak dinner. It takes time to get it, but when you do it’s delicious.
Great post, dude. Shows how age is truly relative. I am familiar with Nine Inch Nails, but I will check out Tool just for my personal edification.

Have to admit that I have pretty much skipped from rock and New Wave to rap. That is a function of being the father of two 21 year-old boys and a 17 year-old boy. I went on the Cal Board the other day and, in a thread that had something to do with music, threw down some lines from a Migos rap. Boy, did that prompt a reaction!

Reactions: Cosmos
Five? Wow...well, here's five off the top of my head. There are, literally, hundreds of LPs that impacted me over the decades. So, this is tough.

1. Sex Pistols, Never Mind the Bullocks
2. The Clash, Give 'em Enough Rope
3. Nirvana, In Utero
4. Bad Brains, I Against I
5. The Ramones, Ramones

Al of their albums are great, but would you really put that album above Eat a Peach?

Fillmore is the greatest live album of all time. A good portion of Eat A Peach was recorded during that Fillmore run. For instance, Mountain Jam. They are both in my top 5, so I sort of think of them together rather than separate.
I'll also add Grateful Dead's Skull and Roses, Skynrd's One More Fron the Road and The Last Waltz. 5 is too few. Could easily add another dozen must haves.

Al of their albums are great, but would you really put that album above Eat a Peach?

100% yes and I was an annual fixture at the Beacon so far from just a casual fan. The greatest live album of all time. Now I understand that it’s simply a live album as opposed to new material, but it’s their signature work IMO.

Last edited:
100% yes and I was an annual fixture at the Beacon so far from just a casual fan. The greatest live album of all time. Now I understand that it’s simply a live album as opposed to new material, but it’s their signature work IMO.

Nittany19 and mrtailgate: I have every one of the Allman Brothers' albums, and I love them all. Have seen them in concert roughly six times. Blue Sky (which I regard as their single best song) is not on the Fillmore East album, but IS on Eat a Peach, along with a number of other great tunes. As good as the renditions ot Statesboro Blues, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed and (especially) Whipping Post were, I put Eat a Peach ahead of the Live at Fillmore East album. I would readily acknowledge, however, that it's a matter of taste. Glad you like the Allman Brothers. SO SAD that Gregg has died, and we will not see them tour again.

Blood on the Tracks - Dylan
New Skin for the Old Ceremony - Cohen
Seventh Sojourn - Moody Blues
Kristofferson's first two albums - have to be considered together as one =
Me and Bobby McGee and The Silver Tongued Devil and I
Guy Clark's first two albums - ditto = Old No. One and Texas Cookin
or
Jackson Browne - Late for the Sky
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon/Wish You Were Here
Tom Waits - Closing Time
Linda Ronstadt - Cry Like a Rainstorm, Howl Like the Wind

Oh hell...this is crazy.

Tool is vastly underrated

Last edited:
These are all albums that I can listen to all the way thru, no bad songs, no filler:

Steely Dan - Aja (honorable mention, also by the Dan, Can't Buy a Thrill) - meticulously produced, fantastic songs

Billy Joel - The Stranger (honorable mentions for 52nd Street and Glass Houses) - Beautiful album, start of a "trifecta" for Joel.

ELO - Time - This is a "concept" album with a sci-fi bent about a guy who travels to the future. Very nice album, not one of ELO's most popular, but a great listen from start to finish.

Bruce Springsteen - Born In The USA - Personally, I like Springsteen's "The River" album better, but not in total. BITUSA is a great listen from start to finish.

Debbie Harry - KooKoo - This album is beyond bizarre and strange, starting with the cover (Debbie Harry's face pierced by skewers). Great album, though, in total, all the songs on this album are superb, although this album will probably not appeal to everyone.

Reactions: Bob78

About 15 years ago my daughter suddenly discovered my vinyl record album collection in the basement. She asked me what they were. I told her it was music, sort of like a CD. She asked me how could I play them since they were too large to put in the CD player. I pointed to the turntable in my entertainment center. She said, “I always wondered what that was for.”

Nittany19 and mrtailgate: I have every one of the Allman Brothers' albums, and I love them all. Have seen them in concert roughly six times. Blue Sky (which I regard as their single best song) is not on the Fillmore East album, but IS on Eat a Peach, along with a number of other great tunes. As good as the renditions ot Statesboro Blues, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed and (especially) Whipping Post were, I put Eat a Peach ahead of the Live at Fillmore East album. I would readily acknowledge, however, that it's a matter of taste. Glad you like the Allman Brothers. SO SAD that Gregg has died, and we will not see them tour again.

They are all gems that’s for sure. Every March for the past couple of years has been missing something - the Brothers at the Beacon. I submit for your consideration The Tedeschi Trucks Band. I followed both Susan and Derek and saw each countless times and have been a big fan of TTB from the outset. I do miss that Oteil played and toured in support of the first album, then left to join in Dead and Co. The torch is passed to TTB, check them out.

Music from Big Pink....The Band
Workingmans Dead...the Dead

....Still working on my other choices. Will supplement.

Agree that Blue Sky is their best song. Eat A Peach is their most refined album but Live at the Filmore is the best album. Honorable mention Greg Allman Laid Back. You don’t love me and Stormy Monday...what can I say ...Classic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT