ADVERTISEMENT

Your most personal experience with Joe!

My wife (not a PSU grad) decided to send a letter and invitation to our wedding (October 23, 1999, game was at Purdue and we were ranked #1 at the time). She received a response written by Mrs. Paterno (Good luck and have a great life together) and signed by her and Coach. I had it blown up and it was on the table with the seating assignment cards so all could see. "Stand-up Joe" cardboard cutout was stationed behind me at the wedding party table.
Sounds similar to my experience (see above). And we had a stand-up Joepa at our wedding, as well! Every guest signed it, although it's been lost for years :(

Reactions: brupsu
Back in the mid 70's we gave the groomsmen autographed copies of one of Joe's books. While we were in his office, he scolded my wife for marrying a "dumb Italian!" Gotta love it!
in the early 80's, our daughters met two brothers in elementary school whose dad was a former psu athlete. the kids became good friends over the years. when they were in hs, the father committed suicide close to christmas. the girls wanted to do something for them, so they asked if i could get them an autographed football for a christmas present. my wife and i were in sc for a game, so we went to rec hall to the football offices. walking up the rec hall steps, joe comes out of the door. we stopped him, introduced ourselves and explained the situation. i told him we'd be happy to pay for the ball and shipping. he told us to go into the office, see his secretary and give her the information. a week or so later, the football arrived with a personal note to the boys. still waiting for the bill. i'm sure that gesture made a pretty dismal holiday a little better for those boys.

Back in the mid 70's we gave the groomsmen autographed copies of one of Joe's books. While we were in his office, he scolded my wife for marrying a "dumb Italian!" Gotta love it!
I was fortunate enough to be invited to the Walter Camp awards dinner at Yale in one of their historic dining halls after the 94 season. Collins, Brady Hartings, Engram( you all remember the team) were there. Spoke to Sue at length about family. After she found out I was from the Reading area, she told me about their trips to shop at the Outlets we were famous for. Joe was listening and rolled his eyes and laughed. Couldn’t be more gracious with the few PSU fans in attendance. Interesting moment of that trip was Warren Sapp being sent home for disrespecting host family and causing trouble. Go figure. Quite the contrast from the way all PSU players and coaches conducted themselves. All class.
Many years later, my wife and I were photographed with Joe at a newspaper event. While discussing positioning for the photo, Joe said “ I am no dummy. I want to be in the front row with these two lovely ladies”.
One was my wife so the picture was shot with Joe with his arm around my wife and me stuck in the back row. It is one of our most prized photos.

Last edited:
On a nice day back in October of '07 my wife and I were driving around campus in her car when this older fellow pulls along side of us and begins to make conservation. I lean over to see that the fellow is none other than the great Joe Paterno. Well I'm a little starstruck, so the only conversation I can muster is to tell Joe that the lady he's chatting with is my wife. Joe replies, "That's your problem."

At which time I whisper to my wife, "See honey? Even Joe thinks so." Thank heavens the cops showed up, or I wouldn't be alive today.* :p

*some of this really happened but none of it really happened to me
:p

Reactions: Zenophile
Never met Joe.Left a restaurant in South Jersey and a friend who I was eating with said Joe walked in and had dinner with a few other people.He got Joe to sign a napkin.He included a small message with his signature.Of course it was an Italian place .Still have that napkin.

Back in 1978 I sent Joe a letter about some potential recruits in our neck of the woods - rural VA. He personally wrote me back and thanked me. Though Im sure Joe already knew about those recruits he took the time to write back. Joe was the man and all the false accusations against him (and the rest including) are the work of evil people. They and the rest of the haters will burn in hell for what they did to that man. You can count on that. The devil already built a special condo for the entire BoT and Freeh

My grandmother was not born in the US and became a huge football fan starting when my dad attended PSU. She absolutely loved Joe. I don't recall how old I was, but she tried to call Joe for his birthday. Ended up only talking to Sue. But she did get a Christmas card after that!

Last edited:
My story is not me meeting Joe but my dad. Dad worked at a country club in the Pittsburgh area and Joe was at the club for some event. The club manager mentions to Joe that the chef has two sons at PSU (my older brother and myself). Joe came back to the kitchen and talked to my dad about his boys. My dad spoke Italian (unlike me) and he said something to Joe in Italian. So now Joe knows that my dad is Italian and has two sons at PSU. My dad talked about that meeting for years.

I am blessed to have had many interactions with Joe. But my most memorable was the last one I had with him on January 17, 2012.

Of course by this time Joe has been fired. My mom had recently died of lung cancer on December 2, 2011 and I received a beautiful note of condolence from Sue Paterno. I thought to myself, in the midst of her chaos, she made the time to show me she was thinking of me and my loss.

So I reached out to Sue and explained that I would be in town for two days and wanted to visit with Joe if he was up to it. Sue explained that he had a chemotherapy treatment the morning of January 17th and that I should call her around lunchtime, which I did. Sue than invited me to her home as Joe was up for the visit.

I can remember as though this occurred yesterday.

I walked into the bedroom and their was Joe, absent his hair, sitting up in bed.

His first words to me were “imagine, of all people, a baseball guy is here to support me!”

Joe didn’t want Medlar Field at Lubrano Park in its present location. Originally the ballpark was planned for development in the hollow but excavation costs added several million to the project so it was moved. As a result, Joe used all of his vast “power” to have this killed. As we know, he failed.

So much for being the most powerful man at Penn State!

By the way, Joe never stepped foot in the baseball stadium, much to my chagrin.

Anyway, that afternoon, less than five days before his death, Joe Paterno regaled me with many stories the most notable of which was the one about his scheduled retirement at the end of the 2011 season.

Joe told me that earlier in the summer of 2011 he told President Spanier and Athletics Director Tim Curley he intended to retire at the conclusion of the season. However, Joe did not want any fanfare so the parties agreed Joe and only Joe would make the announcement AFTER the season. This agreement was memorialized in writing between the parties.

By the way, President Spanier informed then BOT Chairman Steve Garban and Vice Chairman John Surma of Joe’s decision. Garban and Surma brought then Finance Committee Chair Linda Strumpf into their confidence as the Agreement called for a special payment for lifetime services.

Then Joe shared that he provided Dr Spanier and Tim Curley the names of four suitable replacements: Urban Meyer, Greg Schiano, Gary Patterson and Mike Riley.

Urban wanted the job and in fact traveled to UP to meet with Dr Spanier. He told Graham he wanted to be the coach to follow Joe, he had that much respect for Joe.

Dr Spanier traveled to NYC to meet with Greg Schiano. Neither Patterson or Riley were contacted.

Even after Joe was fired, Urban called him and asked him who he should speak with as he was still interested in the Penn State job. Joe told him he did not even know who was in charge at that point.

That afternoon Joe also shared with me that he had no idea that Jerry was
Involved in abuse of children on any level.

Looking back, that was quite an afternoon.

I am blessed to have had many interactions with Joe. But my most memorable was the last one I had with him on January 17, 2012.

Of course by this time Joe has been fired. My mom had recently died of lung cancer on December 2, 2011 and I received a beautiful note of condolence from Sue Paterno. I thought to myself, in the midst of her chaos, she made the time to show me she was thinking of me and my loss.

So I reached out to Sue and explained that I would be in town for two days and wanted to visit with Joe if he was up to it. Sue explained that he had a chemotherapy treatment the morning of January 17th and that I should call her around lunchtime, which I did. Sue than invited me to her home as Joe was up for the visit.

I walked into the bedroom and their was Joe, absent his hair, sitting up in bed.

His first words to me were “imagine, of all people, a baseball guy is here to support me!”

Joe didn’t want Medlar Field at Lubrano Park in its present location. Originally the ballpark was planned for development in the hollow but excavation costs added several million to the project so it was moved. As a result, Joe used all of his vast “power” to have this killed. As we know, he failed.

Anyway, that afternoon, less than five days before his death, Joe Paterno regaled me with many stories the most notable of which was the one about his scheduled retirement at the end of the 2011 season.

Joe told me that earlier in the summer of 2011 he told President Spanier and Athletics Director Tim Curley he intended to retire at the conclusion of the season. However, Joe did not want any fanfare so the parties agreed Joe and only Joe would make the announcement AFTER the season. This agreement was memorialized in writing between the parties.

By the way, President Spanier informed then BOT Chairman Steve Garban and Vice Chairman John Surma of Joe’s decision. Garban and Surma brought then Finance Committee Chair Linda Strumpf into their confidence as the Agreement called for a special payment for lifetime services.

Then Joe shared that he provided Dr Spanier and Tim Curley the names of four suitable replacements: Urban Meyer, Greg Schiano, Gary Patterson and Mike Riley.

Urban wanted the job and in fact traveled to UP to meet with Dr Spanier. He told Graham he wanted to be the coach to follow Joe, he had that much respect for Joe.

Dr Spanier traveled to NYC to meet with Greg Schiano. Neither Patterson or Riley were contacted.

Even after Joe was fired, Urban called him and asked him who he should speak with as he was still interested in the Penn State job. Joe told him he did not even know who was in charge at that point.

The media/BOT "character assassination" of Joe Paterno is probably the most "unjust" thing I have ever seen against any one individual in my lifetime. Most disappointing is knowing that the majority of people in this country believe the false narrative that "Joe knew and helped cover it up" and nothing will ever change their opinions.

During the mid-80s, I and my roommates were headed into the Blue-White game and I was waiting to say hello to my parents (who were up for the game) before we all went into the stadium. We met my Mom outside of a tent that was holding an alumni function and I asked her “Where’s Dad?” She said “He is in there talking to Joe Paterno!” Now Dad is no alum, so I peaked in under one flap and, sure enough, there was Dad chatting away with Joe. I asked him later what they spoke about and he said everything from the weather to football strategy!

Incredible story Anthony - thanks for sharing!

Reactions: sluggo72
The media/BOT "character assassination" of Joe Paterno is probably the most "unjust" thing I have ever seen against any one individual in my lifetime. Most disappointing is knowing that the majority of people in this country believe the false narrative that "Joe knew and helped cover it up" and nothing will ever change their opinions.
And it’s incomprehensibly infuriating that Penn State not only did nothing to dissuade that narrative, but actually paid to further it!

Agreed. That last part is tough to take.

Reactions: Doc-M

Great post. That said I too wish the baseball field was somewhere else. Took a lot of great parking and football pays the bills.

In 1974 I headed to Iowa City for the Penn State/Iowa game. I got there a few days early since I made a road trip of it catching PSU/Illinois in Champaign the week before. Spent the week in a lot of Iowa City bars making friends. Early Friday afternoon, I picked up a friend of mine, Terry Nau, at the airport and dragged him around to a bunch of Iowa City bars introducing him to people. Terry was a sportswriter for the PA Mirror and was there to cover the game. One of those introductions I made was to Jen, an Iowa coed who was the little sister of a PSU cheerleader nicknamed Toni Tri-Delt, a bit of a legend at PSU. After several hours of drinking, Terry suggested that the three of us head to the hospitality suite at the team hotel. Terry was, after all, there to cover the game and figured he better check in to see if anything major had broken while we were downtown. Fortunately, I knew Jon Morris, who was the SID at the time. At the hospitality suite I introduced him to Jen and he graciously allowed us to join the party despite our obvious over-served condition. At some point, my contact lens managed to pop out of my eye and land in the shag carpet of the hotel room. Jen and I are crawling around on all fours trying to find my lens, when the door opens up and in walks the man himself. Apparently my level of intoxication was pretty noticeable. Joe looks at Morris wondering what the heck is going on. Then he points to Jennifer, the lone female among the 20-30 people in the room, and says point blank "Who's this?". Morris tries to explain that she's the sister of a Penn State cheerleader but Joe just hits the roof and screams "get them outa here".

I always say I went to Penn State on “The Weekend Program” - being too broke and too stupid to get go to school there. I say I started dating a girl who was a student in 85 because I needed a place to stay for games.

I would add that I never paid a dollar of tuition to Penn State, but I received an incredible education from Professor Paterno. Lessons that I continue to use in my personal and professional life.

Now, 34 years later, including 30 years of marriage to that same girl, we are proud to call our daughter a Penn State grad.

Joe’s legacy continues.

I've been friends with one of Joe & Sue's daughters since college, so I was lucky to have been invited to her wedding and watch Joe walk her down the aisle at OLV. The reception at the Inn was great.....steak or lobster were your dinner choices. I think we snuck Scott into the Brewery later that night.

Been to the beach house a few times when Joe & Sue were in town. Since this was his pre-season downtime, Joe was usually off reading a book. Sue seemed to love company and would chat with you all day.....such a nice lady.

Sue was always Mrs. Paterno to me, as I always call my friends' parents Mr. or Mrs. One exception was poolside at the Fontainebleau the afternoon prior to the '86 Orange Bowl, when she asked that we call her Sue to not draw attention.

Great stories here. Thanks for sharing them. We are because he was. And Sue is such a classy lady.

Reactions: Zenophile
Right after the first national championship my company (IBM) had a recognition event up at Lake Placid and Joe was the featured speaker. We flew him and some of the family up for the event and they stayed a couple of days. At the kickoff event Joe gets up to give his speech and he asks who is from Penn State. I was the only one and our regional headquarters was in Philadelphia. He asked who the Human Resources person was and then said they would talk later.
Meanwhile, I got VIP treatment from Joe and had a number of discussions about all kinds of things for the rest of the event. Our personnel guy got all kinds of advice from Joe. Turns out Joe knew some really high executives in the company so the word got out to recruit Penn State. Lots of Penn State'rs in the company now and for the past few decades.

Through business we had a mutual friend of Joe and George. They all grew up together in Brooklyn. This guy invited me and George to lunch downtown Manhattan. We didn’t dwell on Joe much, but George too was a great guy. I’m fortunate to have been able to spend a bit of time with both of them

Through business we had a mutual friend of Joe and George. They all grew up together in Brooklyn. This guy invited me and George to lunch downtown Manhattan. We didn’t dwell on Joe much, but George too was a great guy. I’m fortunate to have been able to spend a bit of time with both of them

I never met George outside of one quick hello and handshake, but the few stories I've heard about him are great. There should probably be a separate thread at some point for a few stories about George.

I was 11 years old and my dad took me and my brother to the Blue/White game. We were able to get our picture taken with Joe. I have a lot of stuff signed by him.

I grew up with Terry’s brother and have know Terry forever. He finally retired in RI but is still active with our high school alumni group.

Paterno was never a fan of Terry’s from his days as sports editor at the Collegian. I saw Terry a few weeks ago when he came to Bucks County a couple months ago.

I got two: My first encounter with Joe was as a freshman in the fall of 1984. I was walking down McKean Rd. from the Greenberg ice rink after a skating class (to improve my hockey skills) to Willard Building with a girl from class. We were walking fast since we both had to go all the way across campus when I notice somebody walking towards us on the sidewalk. As we got closer, I realized it was none other than Joe. As he approached, he said, and I quote, "Hustle! You don't want to be late for class." After he passed, I said to the girl, "Oh my God! You know who that was?" She didn't. :(

My second personal experience is even better...

...so, unbeknownst to me, my mom decided to see if she could get a letter from Joe congratulating my wife (also a PSU alum) and me on our wedding day. So she calls State College directory assistance (we're talking 1991 here) and says she'd like the number for Joe Paterno. The operator gives her a number and she calls it. The phone rings and a women answers. Fully expecting to be calling his office on campus, she is taken aback when the person says, "Hello. Paterno residence." Turns out she was given Joe's home number and Sue answered the phone! My mom - a teacher and librarian and never accused of being a shrinking violet - ends up chatting with Suepa, also a teacher and lover of libraries, for close to an hour. Fast forward a few weeks to our wedding reception when the band leader abruptly stops the music and announces that he has a very special message for the bride and groom. As he's reading the letter, I can't for the life of me figure out who it's from until the very end when he closes by saying, "Sincerely...Joseph...V...Paterno."

The place goes nuts, immediately followed by the We Are... chant which is immediately followed by the When I say Joepa, you say Terno... chant immediately followed by a ton of shots.

Best. Wedding. Present. Ever! The letter still hangs in my office, but I can't figure out how to include an image from my phone in a message.
I’m guessing that you didn’t marry the girl from the first encounter.

I grew up with Terry’s brother and have know Terry forever. He finally retired in RI but is still active with our high school alumni group.

Paterno was never a fan of Terry’s from his days as sports editor at the Collegian. I saw Terry a few weeks ago when he came to Bucks County a couple months ago.

Which brother? I keep in touch with Terry and see him whenever he's in back in State College. Next time you see him ask him about that weekend in Iowa City and his experience at breakfast the next morning.

Bottom of the page:

Toni-Tri-Delt.jpg

What’s more maddening is how the entire case against Sandusky is complete bullshit. No one was abused. Listen to the latest interview (Unregistered with Thaddeus Russel podcast) with John Ziegler. Everyone who has investigated the case and has no agenda agrees, and it isn’t close. It all should have been avoided with any semblance of leadership.

Reactions: step.eng69
ADVERTISEMENT