ADVERTISEMENT

Your kid’s first PSU game

uscgPSU

Jul 6, 2014
What is the age you took your kid to their first game? I have four free tickets to the “Rutgres” game this weekend and my wife doesn’t want to go. I’m thinking of driving up from Hershey and taking my five year old to her first game. I’m hoping if we go, she lasts a quarter or two. I’m watching the weather for a final call on my end.

12.. I know a lot of people who have taken their young kids to a game and some have worked some didn't. Have snacks, be prepared to explain everything that goes on to them, and also be prepared to leave at halftime cause kids get bored and restless easy.

I feel kids will grow into loving it, but the first time you take them and the young they are it can be a challenge,. either way have fun.

Having taken young kids to many events over the years. They often have found amusement in everything other than whats going on with the players. As long as you have realistic expectations , and could accept one or two quarters if that's all it allows, go for it. If you use the other two tix on your daugher's friend and their parent, the game might be more enjoyable. If the weather is ok, do it.

2007 vs. FIU. I took my daughter at about 13 months but only because it was a beautiful day, I desperately wanted to get out of the house and the stars aligned. I went in knowing she would last the first half at most. She was a tiny kid and I easily held her into the late 3rd quarter. We stood under the overhang of the South endzone. She was fine.

I would not have done it if the weather was bad or if we were playing a team with a pulse.

She's been to about 30 games now at age 15 and can't wait to get out of the house to attend dear old State.

Sounds pretty young to me but a lot depends on the kid. Have you taken her to other games like high school? Even other sporting events? How was her attention span? Is she a whiner that cries or yells and would disturb others? Does she show an affinity for football? Is she a hyper active kid or can she calmly watch a game for a few hours? Will all the walking around make her tired and grumpy? Lots of bathroom trips?

Don’t know the answers. Your call.

Sounds pretty young to me but a lot depends on the kid. Have you taken her to other games like high school? Even other sporting events? How was her attention span? Is she a whiner that cries or yells and would disturb others? Does she show an affinity for football? Is she a hyper active kid or can she calmly watch a game for a few hours? Will all the walking around make her tired and grumpy? Lots of bathroom trips?

Don’t know the answers. Your call.
I am checking off a lot of these on myself. I better watch on tv Saturday.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
What is the age you took your kid to their first game? I have four free tickets to the “Rutgres” game this weekend and my wife doesn’t want to go. I’m thinking of driving up from Hershey and taking my five year old to her first game. I’m hoping if we go, she lasts a quarter or two. I’m watching the weather for a final call on my end.
oh yea she will have a blast!!

Don't have kids but took my nephew at 8-10. He was bored stiff and read all afternoon. So it depends on the kid.....

We took our son to a spring game before he was 4 and he had a good time and last the entire game. So we then took him to the PSU-Michigan game in 1994 in Ann Arbor. He did great, lasted the entire game. Was chanting defense, defense in the 4th quarter and after the win was chanting we're number one along with all the other Psu fans.

Only bad thing that happened was he needed to pee during the third quarter and we were about row 10. So I threw him over my shoulder and ran up 70 rows, hit the port-a-potty and headed back down. Of course he was laughing the entire time.

He is now a PSU grad and a trauma and critical care surgeon. Though he did go to med school at OSU.

My first game I was 12 back in the sixties.

My son started going with me when he was nine. He went mostly for the tailgating then and now. He did not know the final score in games he played on OL. Food and women were his thing.

We took our son to a spring game before he was 4 and he had a good time and last the entire game. So we then took him to the PSU-Michigan game in 1994 in Ann Arbor. He did great, lasted the entire game. Was chanting defense, defense in the 4th quarter and after the win was chanting we're number one along with all the other Psu fans.

Only bad thing that happened was he needed to pee during the third quarter and we were about row 10. So I threw him over my shoulder and ran up 70 rows, hit the port-a-potty and headed back down. Of course he was laughing the entire time.

He is now a PSU grad and a trauma and critical care surgeon. Though he did go to med school at OSU.
Good story....until the final sentence.

We started with the Blue/White games. Great weather twice made this an awesome first experience for them. And it was a low cost proposal for us as a family.

I think 11 would be the earliest I would have spent money on my son to go to a game. My other son and daughter aren't interested so I would have saved my money with them.

We started with the Blue/White games. Great weather twice made this an awesome first experience for them. And it was a low cost proposal for us as a family.

I think 11 would be the earliest I would have spent money on my son to go to a game. My other son and daughter aren't interested so I would have saved my money with them.
Plus BW games you can move around much more, no long lines, less crowd issues.

Took my son to his first game when he was 6. I purposely chose an early season cupcake game (I think it was mid September 2004 vs. Central Florida) so that I wouldn't care about the cost of tickets or leaving early if he got bored. I would suggest a similar strategy, but if the weather is decent I suppose you can't go wrong with free tickets. If I remember correctly my son lasted the whole game an in fact I think I wanted to leave early because it was a blowout and he didn't want to leave.

First game for my first son was when he was 5. Started young and he went on to graduate from PSU. Enjoy the ride even if she lasts a half.

Took all three of my daughters - starting when each was in Kindergarten.

They know the rules:

1. We never booo the good guys.

2. We never leave early - no matter the weather and the score.

3. We do our best to positively support the team and create as much as a home field advantage as we can help provide.

All three daughters are rabid PSU fans (all sports). Oldest graduated last December, middle one is a freshman, and the youngest is the biggest PSU fan of all.

Hopefully you will have similar luck…it has been one of my great joys as a parent.

Reactions: uscgPSU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT