ADVERTISEMENT

You Want An IU Report?

LOL. Brooks had one (marginal) targeting penalty this year. He certainly isn't dirty.

Smith hits hard, but also isn't dirty.

Brisker had a hit on the Nova QB last week that was textbook. Totally clean, no helmet, not late, but lit him up.

IU has played dirty dating back at least to the cheap shot on Mauti's knee.
Two games ago Brooks had a nasty helmet to helmet that knocked Whop out for two games. Refs did not see it apparently. Also had a tough one last year vs Scott. I won't speak for the integrity of the guy becuase I know nothing else about him but those were some ugly impacts to the head...particularly Whop.

Two games ago Brooks had a nasty helmet to helmet that knocked Whop out for two games. Refs did not see it apparently. Also had a tough one last year vs Scott. I won't speak for the integrity of the guy becuase I know nothing else about him but those were some ugly impacts to the head...particularly Whop.
Disagree about the Brooks his on WP. I just re-watched it. He is not a protected player at that point (he's running after the catch). There is not crown of the helmet contact. His head is up. I'd rather not see violent head contact (for the sake of both players) but the way the rule is written that is clean hit. It sucks WP was injured on the play, but to say Brooks is dirty is ridiculous.

Reactions: Cosmos and bison13
Ok - you GET one.

I've attended all 4 IU games. Watched some DVR.

We were down 14 at Iowa in 2 minutes. A new starter failed to set the edge and they got a 68 yard TD run on third play/first possession. On our first possession, Penix threw a pick 6 to the flat on 3rd and 6. Welcome back. We pressed hard after that - Penix threw 4 picks - 1 was called back by penalty. We were missing a OL and a safety got hurt in the game - and unfortunately it mattered. We were awful. Iowa is legit Top 5. Ass was kicked. Other key stat - IU 77 yards rushing.

We thumped Idaho - a game scheduled when they were still I-A. We dominated and played a lot of guys.

We had Cincy by the ummm throat early. Late in second quarter, they had gone punt - punt - pick - punt - punt- fumble. our All American LB got tossed on a questionable targeting call. No flag was thrown. No hell was raised. The teams got ready for the punt by Cincy. The booth called and tossed our guy. Unfortunately - it mattered. We fell apart. They got a TD and a FG to finish the half and close to 14-10. Shoulda coulda woulda. Cincy is NOT legit Top 5 but they have a couple of NIIICE players. A DB and LB gave us fits all day. The LB won the game for them by putting his hat on the ball and causing a 4th quarter fumble on the 2 - preventing a go-ahead TD at the end of a 10 play drive. Shozbot.

We barely beat Western Kentucky at their place. They play an air raid offense that was spawned by Mumme/Petrino. They score in a minute almost every time. Can't sack the QB cause he never holds the ball more than a second. Challenging. Penix was good for the first time. We lost our starting WR in the first quarter fielding a punt - no hit, just a bad step - ACL gone for season. Lost a safety to concussion protocol.

QB Penix has been a lesser player after last year's ACL - until last week. No idea how he will show at Happy Happy Valley. We need a BIIG game from him to have a chance.

RB 1 and RB 2 from last year are gone, and Southern Cal Portal Guy Carr is new. Run game is still subpar. But he's had some nice runs. Has had 2 100 yard games. If he breaks out, it could be trouble for y'all.

WR Whop gone to the NFL, and No. 1 WR Fryfogle hasn’t been as good yet - probably misses the attention teams had to give to Whop. Showed up at the WKU game. Loss of FSU Portal WR Matthews at WKU is a setback. He had the quicks.

OL has been unsettled and underperformed expectation. But the WKU game was the first one where they started together. We did not dominate their DL.

TE is the offensive bright spot. Ass savers.

DL has been pretty good and worked in the newbies best.

LB - we likee. Cam Jones is my POY so far. McFadden is still a superior player.

Back 4 hasn’t played much as a full unit.
All-American Corner Mullen is awakening.
We miss at least one safety per game. Concussion needs to heal or we'll miss again.

Our new DC is less aggressive at calling blitzes than our guy last year.
QB's may come to love him.

I was shocked to see your rush and rush defense numbers.
Not the Penn State daddy remembered.

I think your schedule has been a tick weaker than ours.

WR Dotson is still superior. Hope Mullen can impact that. But we usually let on WR set records. You're welcome in advance.

Does Franklin know you are LAST in the league for sacks? Very surprising.

But you have lots of picks.
Niiice.

Our FG kicker is great.
Your FG guy has already missed 3.
Probably won't matter, but nice to know.

I wouldn't bet this game with Pelosi's money, but if I had to pick....

Penix won't win this one in OT.

(And yes - last year the ball hit the ground and pylon virtually the same time BUT .... BUT ... BUT .... BEFORE that the nose of the ball touched - nay, crossed - the imaginary plane extending upward from the goal line. Thus, it was properly a TD. Don't hate.)

Good luck.
Hope nobody gets hurt except the required hangovers.
Screw Ohio State.
Thanks...my take is that Indiana hasn't had the stability and maturity. As a result, they are making critical mistakes; it's the little things! It is tough playing ahead instead of surprising people as the underdog.

PSU's rush defense has been just fine. Out pass defense has been exceptional so teams are trying to run on us. If you look at YPC instead of total yards, we are doing fine. This is especially true in the red zone. So far, the smaller land to defend allows our safeties to fill running lanes and hour CBs have been great.

For you, we've got an all-american S in Brisker (#1) and CB (#9, joey porter, jr, son of an NFL HoFer). The other CB and S are also very good. All three LBers are formidable and with our long history, this may be the best LB trio we've ever had. We are thin on the DL but our starters have played well and we've got one DE that is very, very good if not all-american (Ebiketie #17). I don't think we lose giving up too many points. If you score 24+, I'll be surprised. The QB play against us hasn't been great. Penix is probably the best we've faced all year. If he plays like last year it will be a good game. If you guys have two or three TOs, look out.

On offense, our QB has been very efficient but not flashy. We've got two very good WRs and three very good TEs. Our OL has pass blocked well but rush is a different story. We have not run the ball well and that is a combo of OL and RB, IMHO. Coach says other teams are keying on the rush which has allowed us to have a lot of chunk plays. So if I am Indy, I am stopping the run. Then I am telling my CBs and S to keep everything in front of them; don't give up the big play.

Our PK is iffy but hasn't had a kickoff returned all year. He's also an excellent punter and often gets 50 yards net.

Disagree about the Brooks his on WP. I just re-watched it. He is not a protected player at that point (he's running after the catch). There is not crown of the helmet contact. His head is up. I'd rather not see violent head contact (for the sake of both players) but the way the rule is written that is clean hit. It sucks WP was injured on the play, but to say Brooks is dirty is ridiculous.
Fortunately, I didn't say he is "dirty"; although a lot of folks on various IU sites do. I simply described two incidents that we see differently, particularly relative to the calls we see week in and week out.

If you saw the facemask brush after being blocked into the QB that put IU's all american "milk and cookies" defensive captain out last week and turned the game completely you might forgive IU fans for feeling strongly about this.

I don't know if this will link properly, but if this is not "crown of the helmet"...what is?

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and 76-1
I think its a 40 point PSU win buy I wouldnt gramble a home win streak if Ed Rob's whole 209 purple band camp was routing for us.

Fortunately, I didn't say he is "dirty"; although a lot of folks on various IU sites do. I simply described two incidents that we see differently, particularly relative to the calls we see week in and week out.

If you saw the facemask brush after being blocked into the QB that put IU's all american "milk and cookies" defensive captain out last week and turned the game completely you might forgive IU fans for feeling strongly about this.

I don't know if this will link properly, but if this is not "crown of the helmet"...what is?

Hard to really see it but it looks to be contact below the top of the defenders facemask (not the crown of the helmet by definition) but I'm sure that Hoosiers see it differently.

I don't think you know what crown of the helmet means if you think that is crown of the helmet.

Calling any player dirty for getting flagged for targeting in today's game is stretch no matter what color they're wearing. Our recent teams have been lacking players with an edge. Call it dirty if you want. The only real dirty player in recent memory is the the kid that took his talents to Florida and changed his name.

It's kinda funny how many opponents highlights from last year consistently featured #38 for Penn State in them.

Historically, Penn State teams usually don't have any incentive to physically pound a team based upon the prior year's results. When you think about it, PSU usually beats the teams that are less talented and loses to the teams that have more talent. So, the word "revenge" doesn't usually enter into their preparation for an upcoming game.

This game against Indiana is a bit different. I won't use the "r" word, but perhaps a better one might be "pay-back"?

I really believe PSU will come out with something "extra" in this game, get the crowd behind them, and not let up. I think a double digit win by PSU with Indiana in the "minus" on the TO margin is the most likely outcome.
Yeah, that revenge thing has changed since JF took over. He also seems to be aware of point spreads and likes to cover. If he has the chance to tack on more points vs IU, he will do it.

Ok - you GET one.

We were down 14 at Iowa in 2 minutes. A new starter failed to set the edge and they got a 68 yard TD run on third play/first possession. On our first possession, Penix threw a pick 6 to the flat on 3rd and 6. Welcome back. We pressed hard after that - Penix threw 4 picks - 1 was called back by penalty. We were missing a OL and a safety got hurt in the game - and unfortunately it mattered. We were awful. Iowa is legit Top 5. Ass was kicked. Other key stat - IU 77 yards rushing.

We thumped Idaho - a game scheduled when they were still I-A. We dominated and played a lot of guys.

We had Cincy by the ummm throat early. Late in second quarter, they had gone punt - punt - pick - punt - punt- fumble. our All American LB got tossed on a questionable targeting call. No flag was thrown. No hell was raised. The teams got ready for the punt by Cincy. The booth called and tossed our guy. Unfortunately - it mattered. We fell apart. They got a TD and a FG to finish the half and close to 14-10. Shoulda coulda woulda. Cincy is NOT legit Top 5 but they have a couple of NIIICE players. A DB and LB gave us fits all day. The LB won the game for them by putting his hat on the ball and causing a 4th quarter fumble on the 2 - preventing a go-ahead TD at the end of a 10 play drive. Shozbot.

We barely beat Western Kentucky at their place. They play an air raid offense that was spawned by Mumme/Petrino. They score in a minute almost every time. Can't sack the QB cause he never holds the ball more than a second. Challenging. Penix was good for the first time. We lost our starting WR in the first quarter fielding a punt - no hit, just a bad step - ACL gone for season. Lost a safety to concussion protocol.

QB Penix has been a lesser player after last year's ACL - until last week. No idea how he will show at Happy Happy Valley. We need a BIIG game from him to have a chance.

RB 1 and RB 2 from last year are gone, and Southern Cal Portal Guy Carr is new. Run game is still subpar. But he's had some nice runs. Has had 2 100 yard games. If he breaks out, it could be trouble for y'all.

WR Whop gone to the NFL, and No. 1 WR Fryfogle hasn’t been as good yet - probably misses the attention teams had to give to Whop. Showed up at the WKU game. Loss of FSU Portal WR Matthews at WKU is a setback. He had the quicks.

OL has been unsettled and underperformed expectation. But the WKU game was the first one where they started together. We did not dominate their DL.

We miss at least one safety per game. Concussion needs to heal or we'll miss again.

WR Dotson is still superior. Hope Mullen can impact that. But we usually let on WR set records. You're welcome in advance.

Niiice.

Our FG kicker is great.

(And yes - last year the ball hit the ground and pylon virtually the same time BUT .... BUT ... BUT .... BEFORE that the nose of the ball touched - nay, crossed - the imaginary plane extending upward from the goal line. Thus, it was properly a TD. Don't hate.)

Good luck.
Screw Ohio State.

Think the lack of sacks is a bit misleading. PSU seems to getting good pressure on opposing QBs. Wish we’d get a little more push up the middle. But otherwise happy with our pass rush.

Ok - you GET one.

Niiice.

Our FG kicker is great.

Good luck.
Screw Ohio State.
Thanks for the report, but FTR, there is no chance that ball crossed the plane. There is no angle that it looks like a TD...none.
Good luck!!

Looks like he tried to go low to block a guy and take his feet away, but I don’t see intent to injure. Most targeting hits lack intent too.
Indiana is averaging half a yard less per play than its opponents. PSU is averaging nearly two yards a play more than theirs. You’re gonna need a big turnover edge to pull this one out.
i worry about this. Last season we CREATED turnovers - blitzed constantly from all round the globe. New DC seems to think differently. We’ve tried to pressure with front 4 - like they did at Georgia, where he came from, with GEORGIA’S front 4, that we don’t have.

If we let Clifford stand around take a poll on which receiver to hit…we’re dead.

Top one was clearly targeting, bottom one clearly not. Hitting with just above the face mask is not targeting, that’s what happens when you keep your head up. If someone is saying that first one is not targeting, then they’re nuts.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
Very selective photo there. Front ball tip had broken the plane a couple of inches prior to that photo. Crossed at a nearly 90° and backside tip was rotating right to left. It was close but it was a legal score. I have watched it many times and seen far better photos.

MP's hand was under the ball when the tip crossed 2 pt conversion.

I won't change anyone's mind here but it is what it is. The only surprise was that IU actually got a close call.

Indiana fan here. I would certainly expect you all win this game. #6 team playing at home vs an Unranked team. I will say, that Indianas talent level is much closer to PSU then what it used to be. Allen has done a nice job in recruiting. This team is talented but they arent “together” yet. We’ll win some more games vs PSU but I don’t think Saturday will be one of those.

Calling any player dirty for getting flagged for targeting in today's game is stretch no matter what color they're wearing. Our recent teams have been lacking players with an edge. Call it dirty if you want. The only real dirty player in recent memory is the the kid that took his talents to Florida and changed his name.
Thank goodness I read this as I was ready to start another thread asking if anyone knew the reason why Shelton changed his name.

Thank goodness I read this as I was ready to start another thread asking if anyone knew the reason why Shelton changed his name.
I don't think we ever learned why he changed it. I guess it could have been the magic loogie.

Very selective photo there. Front ball tip had broken the plane a couple of inches prior to that photo. Crossed at a nearly 90° and backside tip was rotating right to left. It was close but it was a legal score. I have watched it many times and seen far better photos.

I won't change anyone's mind here but it is what it is. The only surprise was that IU actually got a close call.
The ball was moving forward. Nice try though. The second replay here clearly shows he was not in. But if it was PSU who made the play, I’d be claiming victory too.

The ball was moving forward. Nice try though. The second replay here clearly shows he was not in. But if it was PSU who made the play, I’d be claiming victory too.

Nothing is clear. Did the point of the ball break the plane before the ball touched the pylon? If so did the ball contact the ground before breaking the plane? It’s about as close as close can be .

Reactions: Obliviax

You’re the only Indiana fan I’ve talked to that thinks it was a legit call. I guess fans can see what they want regardless of how many times they look at it.

Yes, moving forward and rotating.

But as I said...no one on this site will change their mind.
You keep challenging my evidence but haven’t shown us anything that proves you are correct. At least I’m presenting a case. You’re just talking.

You keep challenging my evidence but haven’t shown us anything that proves you are correct. At least I’m presenting a case. You’re just talking.
Hard to show evidence of what isn’t there. If the tip of the ball cross the goal line, doesn’t everyone think that a million Indiana fans would have pictures of it? I haven’t seen one yet. I’ve seen plenty of the ball being short. It’s funny, when we get the shaft, we always seem to have pictures or videos to prove it.

Historically, Penn State teams usually don't have any incentive to physically pound a team based upon the prior year's results. When you think about it, PSU usually beats the teams that are less talented and loses to the teams that have more talent. So, the word "revenge" doesn't usually enter into their preparation for an upcoming game.

This game against Indiana is a bit different. I won't use the "r" word, but perhaps a better one might be "pay-back"?

I really believe PSU will come out with something "extra" in this game, get the crowd behind them, and not let up. I think a double digit win by PSU with Indiana in the "minus" on the TO margin is the most likely outcome.

Payback is fine and I'm not against it, but I hope we don't expend too much emotional energy on the concept because the Big One is the following week in Iowa City.

After all, it's not Indiana that was to blame for last year but rather some questionable coaching judgments near the end and, as always, the B1G zebras. There's no payback possible against that.

Therefore, just focus on the task Saturday. If we play our game, then we win with room to spare. Forget "payback"...do the job...win the game...and move on.

Reactions: odshowtime
Looks like he tried to go low to block a guy and take his feet away, but I don’t see intent to injure.
Mauti was engaged by another blocker. Any contact by your guy below the waist is illegal, intentional or not ... but, as you say, he tried to block him so that means he intended to do so. It's a horseshit play and any football fan, regardless of school affiliation, should not want it in the game.

Front ball tip had broken the plane a couple of inches prior to that photo. Crossed at a nearly 90° and backside tip was rotating right to left. It was close but it was a legal score. I have watched it many times and seen far better photos..
The pylon IS NOT in the endzone. It is OOB across the goal line. The ball tip needed to be the inside the pylon. It wasnt. it hit the front side as it hit the ground.

Reactions: Cosmos
Yes, moving forward and rotating.

But as I said...no one on this site will change their mind.
I've never said either way. But if you run that video and stop it ~ 6 seconds...go back and forth with stop action, you can see that the ball crosses both the out of bounds line and the end zone line before hitting the ground. If the ball crosses the OOB line it is NOT OOB until a part of the runner's body hits OOB. If the tip of the ball crosses the goal line before hitting the ground, it is a score.

Sadly, for the PSU fan, that was a two point conversion. PSU should have never let it get to that point. But the refs called it correctly. If it was at the Beav, I suspect it would have been called OOB and the replay inconclusive.

I've never said either way. But if you run that video and stop it ~ 6 seconds...go back and forth with stop action, you can see that the ball crosses both the out of bounds line and the end zone line before hitting the ground. If the ball crosses the OOB line it is NOT OOB until a part of the runner's body hits OOB. If the tip of the ball crosses the goal line before hitting the ground, it is a score.

Sadly, for the PSU fan, that was a two point conversion. PSU should have never let it get to that point. But the refs called it correctly. If it was at the Beav, I suspect it would have been called OOB and the replay inconclusive.
I don’t know what you are watching but the video I see shows the ball clearly on the ground out of bounds before it crosses the goal line.

The big one is the current one. Maybe looking past IU to the big one last year was a problem.

Right, every opponent is big. Don't take anybody lightly.

My point was to approach Indiana with dead seriousness, but ditch the payback thing. We've got bigger fish to fry and should not exhaust emotional energy on a team that we're two touchdowns better than.

Just stay focused, execute...and move on.

The pylon IS NOT in the endzone. It is OOB across the goal line. The ball tip needed to be the inside the pylon. It wasnt. it hit the front side as it hit the ground.
^^^^^ THIS!!! ^^^^^

Watch the rotation of the pylon after the ball hits it. It rotates clockwise and falls IN toward the end zone, not OUT toward the sideline. A body at rest (the pylon) remains at rest until an external force is applied to it. That force was applied outside in, not inside out.

How does a ball cross the plane of the goal line in bounds, moving right to left yet move the pylon left to right?

Pretty sure Physics 202 covers this... it doesn't.

^^^^^ THIS!!! ^^^^^

Watch the rotation of the pylon after the ball hits it. It rotates clockwise and falls IN toward the end zone, not OUT toward the sideline. A body at rest (the pylon) remains at rest until an external force is applied to it. That force was applied outside in, not inside out.

How does a ball cross the plane of the goal line in bounds, moving right to left yet move the pylon left to right?

Pretty sure Physics 202 covers this... it doesn't.
Trying to explain this is like Kevin Costner in JFK — back and to the left, back and to the left, back and to the left.

Reactions: Midnighter2
ADVERTISEMENT