ADVERTISEMENT

You Want An IU Report?

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Dec 5, 2001
Ok - you GET one.

I've attended all 4 IU games. Watched some DVR.

We were down 14 at Iowa in 2 minutes. A new starter failed to set the edge and they got a 68 yard TD run on third play/first possession. On our first possession, Penix threw a pick 6 to the flat on 3rd and 6. Welcome back. We pressed hard after that - Penix threw 4 picks - 1 was called back by penalty. We were missing a OL and a safety got hurt in the game - and unfortunately it mattered. We were awful. Iowa is legit Top 5. Ass was kicked. Other key stat - IU 77 yards rushing.

We thumped Idaho - a game scheduled when they were still I-A. We dominated and played a lot of guys.

We had Cincy by the ummm throat early. Late in second quarter, they had gone punt - punt - pick - punt - punt- fumble. our All American LB got tossed on a questionable targeting call. No flag was thrown. No hell was raised. The teams got ready for the punt by Cincy. The booth called and tossed our guy. Unfortunately - it mattered. We fell apart. They got a TD and a FG to finish the half and close to 14-10. Shoulda coulda woulda. Cincy is NOT legit Top 5 but they have a couple of NIIICE players. A DB and LB gave us fits all day. The LB won the game for them by putting his hat on the ball and causing a 4th quarter fumble on the 2 - preventing a go-ahead TD at the end of a 10 play drive. Shozbot.

We barely beat Western Kentucky at their place. They play an air raid offense that was spawned by Mumme/Petrino. They score in a minute almost every time. Can't sack the QB cause he never holds the ball more than a second. Challenging. Penix was good for the first time. We lost our starting WR in the first quarter fielding a punt - no hit, just a bad step - ACL gone for season. Lost a safety to concussion protocol.

QB Penix has been a lesser player after last year's ACL - until last week. No idea how he will show at Happy Happy Valley. We need a BIIG game from him to have a chance.

RB 1 and RB 2 from last year are gone, and Southern Cal Portal Guy Carr is new. Run game is still subpar. But he's had some nice runs. Has had 2 100 yard games. If he breaks out, it could be trouble for y'all.

WR Whop gone to the NFL, and No. 1 WR Fryfogle hasn’t been as good yet - probably misses the attention teams had to give to Whop. Showed up at the WKU game. Loss of FSU Portal WR Matthews at WKU is a setback. He had the quicks.

OL has been unsettled and underperformed expectation. But the WKU game was the first one where they started together. We did not dominate their DL.

TE is the offensive bright spot. Ass savers.

DL has been pretty good and worked in the newbies best.

LB - we likee. Cam Jones is my POY so far. McFadden is still a superior player.

Back 4 hasn’t played much as a full unit.
All-American Corner Mullen is awakening.
We miss at least one safety per game. Concussion needs to heal or we'll miss again.

Our new DC is less aggressive at calling blitzes than our guy last year.
QB's may come to love him.

I was shocked to see your rush and rush defense numbers.
Not the Penn State daddy remembered.

I think your schedule has been a tick weaker than ours.

WR Dotson is still superior. Hope Mullen can impact that. But we usually let on WR set records. You're welcome in advance.

Does Franklin know you are LAST in the league for sacks? Very surprising.

But you have lots of picks.
Niiice.

Our FG kicker is great.
Your FG guy has already missed 3.
Probably won't matter, but nice to know.

I wouldn't bet this game with Pelosi's money, but if I had to pick....

Penix won't win this one in OT.

(And yes - last year the ball hit the ground and pylon virtually the same time BUT .... BUT ... BUT .... BEFORE that the nose of the ball touched - nay, crossed - the imaginary plane extending upward from the goal line. Thus, it was properly a TD. Don't hate.)

Good luck.
Hope nobody gets hurt except the required hangovers.
Screw Ohio State.

Ok - you GET one.

We were down 14 at Iowa in 2 minutes. A new starter failed to set the edge and they got a 68 yard TD run on third play/first possession. On our first possession, Penix threw a pick 6 to the flat on 3rd and 6. Welcome back. We pressed hard after that - Penix threw 4 picks - 1 was called back by penalty. We were missing a OL and a safety got hurt in the game - and unfortunately it mattered. We were awful. Iowa is legit Top 5. Ass was kicked. Other key stat - IU 77 yards rushing.

We thumped Idaho - a game scheduled when they were still I-A. We dominated and played a lot of guys.

We had Cincy by the ummm throat early. Late in second quarter, they had gone punt - punt - pick - punt - punt- fumble. our All American LB got tossed on a questionable targeting call. No flag was thrown. No hell was raised. The teams got ready for the punt by Cincy. The booth called and tossed our guy. Unfortunately - it mattered. We fell apart. They got a TD and a FG to finish the half and close to 14-10. Shoulda coulda woulda. Cincy is NOT legit Top 5 but they have a couple of NIIICE players. A DB and LB gave us fits all day. The LB won the game for them by putting his hat on the ball and causing a 4th quarter fumble on the 2 - preventing a go-ahead TD at the end of a 10 play drive. Shozbot.

We barely beat Western Kentucky at their place. They play an air raid offense that was spawned by Mumme/Petrino. They score in a minute almost every time. Can't sack the QB cause he never holds the ball more than a second. Challenging. Penix was good for the first time. We lost our starting WR in the first quarter fielding a punt - no hit, just a bad step - ACL gone for season. Lost a safety to concussion protocol.

QB Penix has been a lesser player after last year's ACL - until last week. No idea how he will show at Happy Happy Valley. We need a BIIG game from him to have a chance.

RB 1 and RB 2 from last year are gone, and Southern Cal Portal Guy Carr is new. Run game is still subpar. But he's had some nice runs. Has had 2 100 yard games. If he breaks out, it could be trouble for y'all.

WR Whop gone to the NFL, and No. 1 WR Fryfogle hasn’t been as good yet - probably misses the attention teams had to give to Whop. Showed up at the WKU game. Loss of FSU Portal WR Matthews at WKU is a setback. He had the quicks.

OL has been unsettled and underperformed expectation. But the WKU game was the first one where they started together. We did not dominate their DL.

We miss at least one safety per game. Concussion needs to heal or we'll miss again.

WR Dotson is still superior. Hope Mullen can impact that. But we usually let on WR set records. You're welcome in advance.

Niiice.

Our FG kicker is great.

(And yes - last year the ball hit the ground and pylon virtually the same time BUT .... BUT ... BUT .... BEFORE that the nose of the ball touched - nay, crossed - the imaginary plane extending upward from the goal line. Thus, it was properly a TD. Don't hate.)

Good luck.
Screw Ohio State.
Historically, Penn State teams usually don't have any incentive to physically pound a team based upon the prior year's results. When you think about it, PSU usually beats the teams that are less talented and loses to the teams that have more talent. So, the word "revenge" doesn't usually enter into their preparation for an upcoming game.

This game against Indiana is a bit different. I won't use the "r" word, but perhaps a better one might be "pay-back"?

I really believe PSU will come out with something "extra" in this game, get the crowd behind them, and not let up. I think a double digit win by PSU with Indiana in the "minus" on the TO margin is the most likely outcome.

Ok - you GET one.

Niiice.

Our FG kicker is great.

Good luck.
Screw Ohio State.
I love the last three words of your report. Thanks for taking the time to write all of that.

Ok - you GET one.

Niiice.

Our FG kicker is great.

Good luck.
Screw Ohio State.
Good job, lots of info. There is a reason why we lack in sacks......if you sack a QB they can’t throw picks! All part of our coaches plans!

Looks like Indy slid back a couple steps from last year while the Lions took a big leap forward. Lions win going away.

Last edited:
Ok - you GET one.

Niiice.

Our FG kicker is great.

Good luck.
Screw Ohio State.
Really cool handle. I like it.

Ok - you GET one.

Niiice.

Our FG kicker is great.

Good luck.
Screw Ohio State.
Nice write up!! Good luck the rest of the season starting this Sunday of course - let’s go Nits!

Ok - you GET one.

Niiice.

Our FG kicker is great.

Good luck.
Screw Ohio State.
Nice summary. The problem has clearly been Penix INTs. If he can avoid those this will be a tight game. McFadden will probably have double digit tackles against PSU's running backs. I'm not sure how he'll do in pass coverage.

Ok - you GET one.

Niiice.

Our FG kicker is great.

Good luck.
Screw Ohio State.
LB tossed on a questionable targeting call in game 1...

OL unsettled and underperformed...

Running game subpar...

You're talking about IU and not Penn State, right?

BTW, You're right that your FG kicker is having a great season. Hopefully this game won't be a FG contest. But, our FG kicker is handling KO's (24 of 25 were touchbacks) and punts as well. He's averaging a shade over 49 yards on punts but only because he pooched all four punts last week to the 10 or inside. Half his punts were over 50 yards. I like Campbell, but I think we'll hang on to Jordan Stout.

Reactions: bison13

Good luck.
Screw Ohio State.
Iowa is likely a 3 loss team this year and Cincy is a paper tiger, so we could argue that neither of our schedules have been great, but I’m certain IU’s has not been more difficult

As for last year’s game, both PSU (brain fart in not killing the clock then allowing IU to easily score + 2 pt conversion to even get to OT) and the B1G (catastrophically bad call in OT) wrapped that one up and put a bow on it for you. No imaginary plain was crossed…Penix was short of the line to gain but the refs gave it to him because your coach had the balls to play for the win. Thems is jist the facts, regardless of how y’all are spinning it out on the plains.

Oh, and thanks for stopping by and for your input. Much appreciated.

I like your spirit involving top level competition. If we could only have the entire team excited as you are, we might have something positive going forward

Where do you play, offensive or defense?
I play qb of the barbecue and head bartender which means I not only call the plays, but I execute the game plan also. Thank you so much for asking.

Thank you for the information. Much appreciated.

My question is, do you think that your defense will be able to stop our passing game? It contains some Air Raid concepts, but definitely isn't a full on AR scheme.

LOL....passing
I wish you well, make sure your blind & backside is covered before passing the ribs. I hope you can be at the game this weekend, should be fun.
Last week I was 15 for 20 on passing drinks around, and I won the tailgate, but I had a sub par running game for nerf, and the critics were all over me cause I didn't run well enough...sounds familiar!

What about your uniform guy? Has he passed his spelling class yet?

We've identified and resolved that problem...

Turns out the offending party was an intern on his first job after graduating from purdue... We fired both he and the guy who hired him in the first place but not before finding them both jobs in Lexington, Kentucky where we knew they would thrive (we're not completely heartless, even when it comes to p u grads)...

We are all hoping that INDIANA shows up this Saturday evening rather than that other (misspelled) version...

As to the guy who insinuated we play dirty..., I'd suggest he concern himself with Penn States very own #13 Ellis Brooks before throwing stones at anyone else... That guy is the biggest cheap shot artist in the Big Ten and has been for (at least) two years running...

Last edited:
Ok - you GET one.

Niiice.

Our FG kicker is great.

Good luck.
Screw Ohio State.
You had me until your statement that our schedule has been a tad weaker than yours.

Ok - you GET one.

Niiice.

Our FG kicker is great.

Good luck.
Screw Ohio State.
Can’t help but dig your spirit even if I may not agree with the every component of your assessment. Cheers to an enjoyable (to watch) & injury free-game on Saturday.

the guy who insinuated we play dirty..., I'd suggest he concern himself with Penn States very own #13 Ellis before throwing stones at anyone else... That guy is the biggest cheap shot artist in the Big Ten and has been for (at least) two years running...

Maybe I'm drawing blanks here, but perhaps you are thinking of #12 Smith (who has had a ton of bonehead late hits) instead of Brooks?

You had me until your statement that our schedule has been a tad weaker than yours.
Looking at rankings would have to agree with OP. IA+Cinn > Aub+Wisc. Lets call the others opponents a wash. Now of course we beat Aub+Wisc, if had loss they would be top 10....

Ok - you GET one.

Niiice.

Our FG kicker is great.

Good luck.
Screw Ohio State.
Your head coach is a complete lunatic. You didn't point that out.

As to the guy who insinuated we play dirty..., I'd suggest he concern himself with Penn States very own #13 Ellis before throwing stones at anyone else... That guy is the biggest cheap shot artist in the Big Ten and has been for (at least) two years running...
LOL. Brooks had one (marginal) targeting penalty this year. He certainly isn't dirty.

Smith hits hard, but also isn't dirty.

Brisker had a hit on the Nova QB last week that was textbook. Totally clean, no helmet, not late, but lit him up.

IU has played dirty dating back at least to the cheap shot on Mauti's knee.

Looking at rankings would have to agree with OP. IA+Cinn > Aub+Wisc. Lets call the others opponents a wash. Now of course we beat Aub+Wisc, if had loss they would be top 10....
Looking at the rankings, I agree. I think Iowa is basically a slightly more competent version of Wisconsin. Hard to judge Cincy yet; will know a little more after this weekend, but I'd say they are about the same as Auburn.

Big difference is that we beat both of our ranked teams (one on the road in one of the tougher environments in the Big Ten) and Indiana....did not.

Thanks for this. Indiana's off-season losses were very significant. Lots of changes along the OL so Penix hasn'd had the comfort in the pocket he had last year.

And Fryfogle isn't the same receiver without Whop Philyor on the field. Teams can double Fryfogle now and single cover the other guys. That totally changes the passing game.

Wouldn't make too much of PSU's lack of sacks. The DL and linebackers have gotten good pressure on the backfield and often rushing 4. They're running lots of run-blitzing this year so it is hard for teams to know where the pass-rush is coming from. Most of PSU's interceptions (and fumbles) have been the result of backfield pressure.

PSU secondary has improved so much it's almost hard to grasp. Combination of experience, some new personnel (Brown at safety has been terrific). Just a very savvy group that doesn't get out of position. I think for Penix it will much harder to find open receivers.

The other Penn State unit that has improved tremendously from last year is linebacker. Brandon Smith is a former 5 star recruit now in his third year and he's playing great. Curtis Jacobs is a former 4 1/2 star now in his second year and getting a grasp of the position. Ellis Brooks is a former 4 star who is a senior and leader of the unit. Jesse Luketa is a former 4 star, incredibly athletic, who has finally found his natural position as a hybrid LB/DE. They all run well but this year they're playing much better as a unit, like the light bulb has collectively gone on.

It has the potential to be the best linebacker group at PSU in many years -- and that is saying something for this program. People are talking about Iowa's linebackers now. By the end of the year, I think people could be talking about Penn State's linebackers.

Offensively, it's largely the same team as last year, just a little healthier and deeper and more experienced. The OL has improved quite a bit and pass blocking has been strong. Indiana blitzes a lot so the blocking schemes will get tested. PSU's receiver situation has settled down and it's no longer just Dotson, it's Dotson and Washington and KLS and three very talented but inexperienced tight ends. I think Indiana Indiana knows they have to play safeties back this week and double Dotson or they'll get torched deep, and that should open up some things for the running game and TEs.

Anyway we know the Hoosiers program has lots of top caliber athletes and depth like it didn't used to have. And Allen always has them well prepared for PSU. So I don't think this will be a blowout or anything close. They've already had their fall on their faces game against Iowa -- they won't do that again.

But PSU's not going to fall on their face like last year against Indiana. PSU's talent and experience should add up to a fairly secure win I think.

Last edited:
We've identified and resolved that problem...

Turns out the offending party was an intern on his first job after graduating from purdue... We fired both he and the guy who hired him in the first place but not before finding them both jobs in Lexington, Kentucky where we knew they would thrive (we're not completely heartless, even when it comes to p u grads)...

We are all hoping that INDIANA shows up this Saturday evening rather than that other (misspelled) version...

As to the guy who insinuated we play dirty..., I'd suggest he concern himself with Penn States very own #13 Ellis Brooks before throwing stones at anyone else... That guy is the biggest cheap shot artist in the Big Ten and has been for (at least) two years running...
To be fair I do think some of the Indiana "dirty" play from past years was simply incompetence and poor coaching. Injuries like what happened to Mauti are a sign of a loser program. Players aren't taught how to tackle or block properly, and coaches of bad programs don't have control when players play for cheap shots. I think that's in the past now. Allen has upgraded the coaching and recruiting. IU players are more skilled and more experienced now. So I think some of what the PSU fans are referring to is history. At least I hope.

FYI Brooks is anything but a dirty player. HIs targeting was a completely legit tackle on a QB running down the sideline -- Brooks just got careless with his helmet position, and he paid the price. He's learned from it I'm sure. But he is not a dirty player.

LOL. Brooks had one (marginal) targeting penalty this year. He certainly isn't dirty.

Smith hits hard, but also isn't dirty.

Brisker had a hit on the Nova QB last week that was textbook. Totally clean, no helmet, not late, but lit him up.

IU has played dirty dating back at least to the cheap shot on Mauti's knee.

Go to 1:10.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: BW Lion and BBrown
Indiana is averaging half a yard less per play than its opponents. PSU is averaging nearly two yards a play more than theirs. You’re gonna need a big turnover edge to pull this one out.

Reactions: Cosmos
ADVERTISEMENT