ADVERTISEMENT

Yet another NIL question.

GogglesPaizano

Feb 6, 2018
This just hit me, I appologize if already addressed. Couldn't NIL be an off books way to circumvent/neuter the transfer portal?

Hey, what do 17/18 year olds know about contact law.

Say a Nick Feldman ;-) gets an Nil deal for 50k/yr. If I am the rich Buckeye booster, and I sign one of these kids for such a rediculous amount of money, I probably insert a payback clause if the kid doesn't stay a full 4-5 years for any reason sorry of injury. 1-2 years into his collegiate career smack full of robes, pin chains, black shirts, no national championships, and the kid now realizes he was enamored with the new facility and the NIL. He also realizes he needs to go where he can become his best, meet his goals, and win.... Too bad he can't.

I can absolutely see NIL freezing kids, where they have no realistic option of leaving. And... No, I do not see a future suitor in another location paying off the debt plus fresh NIL on top.

Last edited:
This just hit me, I appologize if already addressed. Couldn't NIL be an off books way to circumvent/neuter the transfer portal?

Hey, what do 17/18 year olds know about contact law.

Say a Nick Feldman ;-) gets an Nil deal for 50k/yr. If I am the rich Buckeye booster, and I sign one of these kids for such a rediculous amount of money, I probably insert a payback clause of the kid doesn't stay a full 4-5 years for any reason sorry of injury. 1-2 years into his collegiate career smack full of robes, pin chains, black shirts, no national championships, and the kid now realizes he was enamored with the new facility and the NIL. He also realizes he needs to go where he can become his best, meet his goals, and win.... Too bad he can't.

I can absolutely see NIL freezing kids, where they have no realistic option of leaving. And... No, I do not see a future suitor in another location paying off the debt plus fresh NIL on top.
You dont own the kid you own his likeness ,no matter what jersey or singlet he wearing? Or I'm completely wrong , I'm sure the Courts will figure it out.

As of right now, there is basically no rule regarding NIL. NCAA said you wanted this, you got it.

My guess is that's why schools have departments reviewing these deals. To protect the kid. But I don't know all of the ins and outs.

ADVERTISEMENT