ADVERTISEMENT

Yet another car question. 2017 Lexus ES 350- thoughts from those who own one?

PSU95alum

Jul 27, 2006
I've recently upgraded my SUV (to a 2017 Suburban) and also plan on updating my sedan as well. I found a used 2017 Lexus ES 350 with "Luxury Package" for sale and took it for a drive. There was nothing overly sporty about it, but it drove nice and from my understanding, it's a bullet proof car.

Was also looking at a 2014 Caddy XTS Vsport AWD. I like the look and performance of the Caddy better, but the Lexus is the better buy and more likely than not the smarter buy in the long term. Thoughts on the Lexus?

I've recently upgraded my SUV (to a 2017 Suburban) and also plan on updating my sedan as well. I found a used 2017 Lexus ES 350 with "Luxury Package" for sale and took it for a drive. There was nothing overly sporty about it, but it drove nice and from my understanding, it's a bullet proof car.

Was also looking at a 2014 Caddy XTS Vsport AWD. I like the look and performance of the Caddy better, but the Lexus is the better buy and more likely than not the smarter buy in the long term. Thoughts on the Lexus?
I have a 2006 Lexus 330 with 42000 miles. Best car I ever owned. I hope I never have to get rid of it.

The Lexus is a great car but it lacks road feel and sportiness. It does a great job of insulating the driver from the outside world and providing a comfortable and quiet ride. Reliability should be A+. It’s also fairly roomy. My own preference is the Mercedes or BMW for a luxury car because of the astestics and superior handling and engineering. But you can’t go wrong with the Lexus if that is what you prefer.

My wife had a couple of them (most recent was a 2014). She loved them. I wanted to her try something else, but she always went back to them. As you said, not the sportiest ride, but bulletproof.

I just traded my 2015 ES350 leased car on a 2017 ES350 lease. I am very happy with the Lexus ES350. The ride is very good, luxury package is great and the car gets very high ratings in Consumer Reports

Thanks all for your feedback. I doubt I can go wrong with the Lexus. But the black Caddy XTS Vsport is just a sweet looking ride IMO. The Lexus is just kind of blah. Attached are basically thee 2 cars I'm considering.

large-5.jpg

9167_cc0640_001_GBA.jpg

Which one does(/would) she prefer?
She doesn't care. We both feel the same way. We like the looks of the Caddy. The Caddy is the Vsport Platinum. Absolutely loaded with everything. However, with the Twin Turbo in the Caddy, I'll need to run premium fuel. The Lexus will run just fine on regular octane.
Also, it's a 2017 Lexus with about 5K miles vs 2014 Caddy with 30K miles.

Reactions: YogiMan71
She doesn't care. We both feel the same way. We like the looks of the Caddy. The Caddy is the Vsport Platinum. Absolutely loaded with everything. However, with the Twin Turbo in the Caddy, I'll need to run premium fuel. The Lexus will run just fine on regular octane.
Sounds as if you know the right answer and want someone to talk you out of it . . . Go with the Lexus. Better deal now and over the long term. And a month after you buy either one, it's just transportation.

Reactions: PSU95alum
The Lexus is rock solidly reliable, but not as roomy as the Caddy, or have as much power. You treat it like an appliance. Just get the oil changed, and perform regular maintenance, and it will give you 300K trouble free miles easily.

IMHO: If driving is a "point A to point B" operation, then the Lexus is the obvious choice. And if you & the wife look forward to the drive, it's the Caddy.

Note: because both are luxury brands, I've made the assumption that value isn't the primary consideration.

The Lexus will be more reliable and provide higher resale value.

OK all, I've decided on the Lexus. The seller was willing to move more on price to make it a better buy than the Caddy, which was a good buy, just not a great buy. Thanks for the input.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2019-lexus-es-spied-news

The hideous Lexus front-fascia is enough for me to look elsewhere... i'd normally suggest you spare giving all that extra Lexus-margin/"bling" and simply buy a new Camry, alas the 2018 Camry has a shnozz that's nearly as garish...

Either way - the '18 Camry is a brand spankin' new platform which will soon spawn the 2019 ES350... so your resale value on the 2017 (derived from the previous Camry/Avalon platform) would soon take a blow to the stomach...

The hideous Lexus front-fascia is enough for me to look elsewhere... i'd normally suggest you spare giving all that extra Lexus-margin/"bling" and simply buy a new Camry, alas the 2018 Camry has a shnozz that's nearly as garish...

Either way - the '18 Camry is a brand spankin' new platform which will soon spawn the 2019 ES350... so your resale value on the 2017 (derived from the previous Camry/Avalon platform) would soon take a blow to the stomach...
I don't always agree with your assessments on cars, but you are spot on with this. I dislike the ugly grills on the Lexus too. Not sure what they were thinking with them??? But with the color I'm looking at, the grill is less pronounced than say a white or tan color, so not as hideous. Another concern is the updated platform. The 2017 is looking a bit stale both inside and out. But the buy is good. The Caddy comes with an extended manufacturers warranty good through 2020 or 70,000 miles, so it has that going for it
I know I said I made up my mind, but now I'm reconsidering.

I own two Lexus, not that model. We have a GX and a NX. Both are fantastic vehicles and extremely reliable. I doubt the caddy will be as reliable.

I own that exact car (2017 Lexus ES 350 with luxury package). I love that frickin' car. My only complaint is that there is so much in the way of electronics in it that I still have not figured out all of its various features.

I have a loaded 2015 ES 350 and love it, especially for any drive >90 miles. It's smooth and quiet. My other car is a 2008 M3 and while it's a terrific driving car, the noise and rough ride can beat you up for anything over 90 miles. If this car will be the one your family takes on trips, then get the Lexus. I like the looks of my Lexus--it's white with an all black roof, but my space grey two-door carbon roof M3 looks better.

My wife drives a 2013 ES350 and I drive a 2012 Buick Lacrosse which sits on the same frame as the Cadillac XTS. Both are very nice cars but the Lexus is by far the most solid of the two. It is quieter, tighter, smoother and just more enjoyable to drive. The road noise from the Buick, even with new tires, is way louder than what I would expect from vehicle that is in the same class as the Lexus. The Lexus gets better gas mileage and its fit and finish is better, although only slightly, than the Buick's. The Lexus out performs the Buick, but again, not by much. When the Buick is worn out my next car will be a Lexus. No question about it.

Last edited:
I don't always agree with your assessments on cars, but you are spot on with this. I dislike the ugly grills on the Lexus too. Not sure what they were thinking with them??? But with the color I'm looking at, the grill is less pronounced than say a white or tan color, so not as hideous. Another concern is the updated platform. The 2017 is looking a bit stale both inside and out. But the buy is good. The Caddy comes with an extended manufacturers warranty good through 2020 or 70,000 miles, so it has that going for it
I know I said I made up my mind, but now I'm reconsidering.

The grill is even sillier on the Lexus crossovers... evokes an eye-roll from me every time I see one... this obnoxiousness was the result of heavy-handed stylists being charged by Toyota brass to establish a design-language of the brand to counter Lexus/Toyota's serene/boring image ... it's Toyota trying too hard to be 'edgy'

Reactions: dbaguy
My wife drives a 2013 ES350 and I drive a 2012 Buick Lacrosse which sits on the same frame as the Cadillac XTS. Both are very nice cars but the Lexus is by far the most solid of the two. It is quieter, tighter, smoother and just more enjoyable to drive. The road noise from the Buick, even with new tires, is way louder than what I would expect from vehicle that is in the same class as the Lexus. The Lexus gets better gas mileage and its fit and finish is better, although only slightly, than the Buick's. The Lexus out performs the Buick, but again, not by much. When the Buick is worn out my next car will be a Lexus. No question about it.
you really cannot compare the Lacrosse to the XTS V

Car shopping is often about emotion, not about $ or logic. There is nothing wrong with that. Get what causes your heart to beat a little quicker and don’t look back. You only live once. Enjoy the ride!

Take the Lexus if you are going to keep it forever. Caddy’s are listed at the bottom for reliability and maintenance and Lexus at the top. We have a 2008 Lexus 400H SUV with 65k on it. It gets 25 mpg and is quiet and smooth. Not a single problem. We also have a 2015 Highlander and. Problems either. Caddy’s are known for maintenance issues.

Take the Lexus if you are going to keep it forever. Caddy’s are listed at the bottom for reliability and maintenance and Lexus at the top. We have a 2008 Lexus 400H SUV with 65k on it. It gets 25 mpg and is quiet and smooth. Not a single problem. We also have a 2015 Highlander and. Problems either. Caddy’s are known for maintenance issues.
well, you shouldn't have any problems at 65k
where do you see Cadillac at the bottom for reliability and maintainance

where do you see Cadillac at the bottom for reliability and maintainance
Cadillac’s are merely GM generic vehicles with different “angular skin”. You still are dealing with the same common components and poor design-engineering you’ll find in every GM vehicle.

I buy certain GM products (V8, RWD) only because I enjoy great purchasing discounts, but I would run far and fast from any FWD GM vehicle with turbochargers. Just my opinion.

Cadillac’s are merely GM generic vehicles with different “angular skin”. You still are dealing with the same common components and poor design-engineering you’ll find in every GM vehicle.

I buy certain GM products (V8, RWD) only because I enjoy great purchasing discounts, but I would run far and fast from any FWD GM vehicle with turbochargers. Just my opinion.
You do realize that GM's turbochargers are supplied by the same companies that supply every other car maker, and the XTS V is not FWD

Reactions: massimoManca II
You do realize that GM's turbochargers are supplied by the same companies that supply every other car maker, and the XTS V is not FWD
It’s AWD. Generally, AWD systems operates as a RWD or FWD vehicle– most are FWD. Cadillac’s all-wheel drive preemptively sends power to both the front and rear wheels on every launch to prevent slip and loss of traction

It’s a glorified FWD. it’s GM’s crappy engineering that I would be most concerned about.

After 4 months of “discussions”, I just received a $500 check from GM fully covering a certain defect in my out-of-warranty 2012 Tahoe. There hasn’t been a recall, but it did take $500 to repair at the dealer. I was thankfully able to secure the original Tech Service Bulletins indicating that GM, not only knew about the defective supplier part, but continued to manufacture vehicles with said part for another 18 months. I especially enjoyed having Mary Barra call me trying to explain GM’s position and handling of the situation. No customer should have to deal with these idiots.

That's a pretty broad brush... and while I've been critical of GM over the past 40yrs, your internet tough-guy comments
poor design-engineering you'll find in every GM vehicle,
and,
Cadillacs are merely GM generic vehicles with different skin

are both patently wrong....

warts and all, the GM of 2017 is not the GM of 1978

While the XTS , Buick Lacrosse, and Chevrolet Impala are derived from the same platform, there is a hell of a lot of differentiation in both specs, content, features and performance... try getting a twin turbo Impala...

Enough differentiation to justify the reedonkulous price-premiums? I argue that GM product planners are career-delusionalists... but these are still competitive entries
l

That's a pretty broad brush... and while I've been critical of GM over the past 40yrs, your internet tough-guy comments
poor design-engineering you'll find in every GM vehicle,
and,
Cadillacs are merely GM generic vehicles with different skin

are both patently wrong....

warts and all, the GM of 2017 is not the GM of 1978

While the XTS , Buick Lacrosse, and Chevrolet Impala are derived from the same platform, there is a hell of a lot of differentiation in both specs, content, features and performance... try getting a twin turbo Impala...

Enough differentiation to justify the reedonkulous price-premiums? I argue that GM product planners are career-delusionalists... but these are still competitive entries
l
I stand by my statements, especially as they pertain to GM’s platform-engineering across the spectrum of their semi-identical “brands”. Content and features can easily be tweaked according to the nameplate, but you can’t market your way out of crappy design/engineering.

It’s AWD. Generally, AWD systems operates as a RWD or FWD vehicle– most are FWD. Cadillac’s all-wheel drive preemptively sends power to both the front and rear wheels on every launch to prevent slip and loss of traction

It’s a glorified FWD. it’s GM’s crappy engineering that I would be most concerned about.

After 4 months of “discussions”, I just received a $500 check from GM fully covering a certain defect in my out-of-warranty 2012 Tahoe. There hasn’t been a recall, but it did take $500 to repair at the dealer. I was thankfully able to secure the original Tech Service Bulletins indicating that GM, not only knew about the defective supplier part, but continued to manufacture vehicles with said part for another 18 months. I especially enjoyed having Mary Barra call me trying to explain GM’s position and handling of the situation. No customer should have to deal with these idiots.

duh. AWD systems do not send significant torque to all four corners under normal driving conditions... indeed Caddy's system is front-biased like nearly all AWD systems... (yeah, even Audi has announced that Quattro is ditching the center diff and thus will become front-biased)... oh, it might help to let you know the S3/A3/TT are front-biased ... and yeah, that Caddy's AWD is a product of HaldexAB... yeah, these same Haldex that supplies the AWD systems for other pieces of crap like the A45 Mercedes AMG , Bugatti Veyron, Lamborghini Aventador ....

I'd love to hear more about your phone conversation with Mary Barra... she probably put Jodi Foster on the phone with you as well...

duh. AWD systems do not send significant torque to all four corners under normal driving conditions... indeed Caddy's system is front-biased like nearly all AWD systems... (yeah, even Audi has announced that Quattro is ditching the center diff and thus will become front-biased)... oh, it might help to let you know the S3/A3/TT are front-biased ... and yeah, that Caddy's AWD is a product of HaldexAB... yeah, these same Haldex that supplies the AWD systems for other pieces of crap like the A45 Mercedes AMG , Bugatti Veyron, Lamborghini Aventador ....

I'd love to hear more about your phone conversation with Mary Barra... she probably put Jodi Foster on the phone with you as well...
My conversation, arranged by someone I know, with real Mary was like speaking with a “management consultant”. A lot of words, but absolutely no understanding of the underlying problem,.

That aside, I find it interesting that you’re comparing VW (Audi) and Mercedes engineering with that of GM’s. Two different worlds, despite common component suppliers.

Last edited:
My conversation, arranged by someone I know, with real Mary was like speaking with a “management consultant”. A lot of words, but absolutely no understanding of the underlying problem,.

That aside, I find it interesting that you’re comparing VW (Audi) and Mercedes engineering with that of GM’s. Two different worlds, despite common component suppliers.

i find it interesting that you are mocking the AWD in the XTS as "glorified FWD" when nearly all AWD systems operate this way.

you go on to deride platform-sharing (which all mfrs are guilty of)... i'll argue that Toyota/Lexus platforms across its marks is less-differentiated that that of GM

and I'm certain you're such a high-roller that Mary Barra would don a headset and call you about a 2012 Tahoe that GM fixed out of warranty, uh huh

My point is that the delta between between GM (and the other domestic mfrs, for that matter) and Toyota/Honda is nothing like it was in the 80s/90s/early 2ks... i have a Honda in my driveway that is quite underwhelming, another MY16 Japanese mark that is underwhelming, and a 2005 GM product that is pretty damn solid for the travel-appliance it was designed to be...

i find it interesting that you are mocking the AWD in the XTS as "glorified FWD" when nearly all AWD systems operate this way.

you go on to deride platform-sharing (which all mfrs are guilty of)... i'll argue that Toyota/Lexus platforms across its marks is less-differentiated that that of GM

and I'm certain you're such a high-roller that Mary Barra would don a headset and call you about a 2012 Tahoe that GM fixed out of warranty, uh huh

My point is that the delta between between GM (and the other domestic mfrs, for that matter) and Toyota/Honda is nothing like it was in the 80s/90s/early 2ks... i have a Honda in my driveway that is quite underwhelming, another MY16 Japanese mark that is underwhelming, and a 2005 GM product that is pretty damn solid for the travel-appliance it was designed to be...
Let’s just sum it up that you and I have had very different “owner experiences”. I try to purchase GM vehicles out of loyalty to my family, but they continue to underwhelm.

You’re welcome to think whatever you want.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT