ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Yazeed Haynes decommits from Penn State

See ya. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out little dude. Going to Bama next?
Hope he likes the view from the bench at UGA!!

PSU seems to have made contact and made offers to a boatload of WR's, and there are plenty of them that are not committed elsewhere. Should be an interesting Fall as spots in the class are already tight. Hopefully the offense improves as this season progresses and Yurcich has skill players competing to be part of his offense going forward.

Both Oklahoma and LSU spent 180 million renovating their facilities.

Enjoy your retirement, Sandy, while the fans are still getting splinters in their ass sitting at the Beav.

• Sad
Reactions: Lion8286
Both Oklahoma and LSU spent 180 million renovating their facilities.

Enjoy your retirement, Sandy, while the fans are still getting splinters in their ass sitting at the Beav.
I dont even think Haynes has visited Georgia yet.

And the question would now be whether to spend the $80M on facilities or NIL.

Reactions: KC-KS-Lion
I hope PSU spends a grand total of $0 on NIL. Aren't businesses the ones that are supposed to be spending that money?

Reactions: psu1969a
I hope PSU spends a grand total of $0 on NIL. Aren't businesses the ones that are supposed to be spending that money?
Sure. But Penn State could ask donors for money for facilities or they could ask donors to spend the money on NIL.

He visited on Monday, the day he decommitted. Much like he did with Penn State and Rutgres.

Crazy. NFL level talent is recruited in a very competitive arena. It's going to take a ton of cash.
The best part of Penn State Football the past couple of years has been the crowd, the atmosphere. When the stadium changes who knows if the atmosphere changes.
Plus attendance has been declining across the country and nil and unions won't help change that trend.
I can't believe what's happened to sports in this country.

I no longer believe a player is committed, whether he signs an LOI or not because a player can leave at the drop of a hat. I am losing interest in college sports where loyalty to teammates no longer means anything as players chase the almighty buck. Maybe the way to go is to sign high school kids to contracts. That would be more binding than a LOI.

I find myself wondering how sports negatively impacts our economy and society. How much cheaper would equipment and clothing be without celebrity endorsements?

Geeze, I am in a funk today.

According to this, UGA offered on June 23rd and he OV'd on June 24th.

Reactions: bourbon n blues

According to this, UGA offered on June 23rd and he OV'd on June 24th.
Thank you for the clarification. Maybe we need a revenge NIL collective. When another school poaches our player, we go ahead a buy a better recruit that is already committed to that school.

Reactions: lazydave841
Thank you for the clarification. Maybe we need a revenge NIL collective. When another school poaches our player, we go ahead a buy a better recruit that is already committed to that school.

Very strange recruitment. We offered fairly late, he verbals and was quoted saying it was a dream offer. Then UGA offers and he's all over it.

Somebody on the UGA board wrote that Franklin told him he was a DB instead of a WR, but I don't have a clue if it's inside info or BS.

Very strange recruitment. We offered fairly late, he verbals and was quoted saying it was a dream offer. Then UGA offers and he's all over it.

Somebody on the UGA board wrote that Franklin told him he was a DB instead of a WR, but I don't have a clue if it's inside info or BS.
Nobody takes players and plays them in the wrong positions more, or better than Coach Fraudlin.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
Examples?
I am a Franklin backer but I have said the same thing about changing positions.

DB's to a crowded S room is one (Trent Gordon played a ton in the Cotton Bowl and then was gone cause he couldn't crack the S rotation.)
LB's out of position (Brandon Smith)
I still think they played Parsons out of his normal DE position.
Sutherland this year will look like a fish out of water at LB.
Seems he takes OL as what they project at the next level.

DB's to a crowded S room is one (Trent Gordon played a ton in the Cotton Bowl and then was gone cause he couldn't crack the S rotation.)
Sometimes it seems there are players that just don't have a natural position, especially when a player has to learn to play the position that might be their most natural fit but that position is one of the strongest on the team depth wise.

Where do you believe Brandon Smith should have been playing? Mike/MLB? With his speed and the way he tested for the NFL why would a competent coach move him inside?

Parsons had a great impact to the team by playing LB. I trust the coaches that they were playing him where he best helped the team win, especially looking back on the fact that PSU had an effective DE group at that time as compared to the LB group without Parsons.

Sutherland has looked like a fish out of water any time he has been on the field other than on special teams.

Regarding the OL, Franklin has never been an OL coach so it seems to me that he has relied on his OL coaches a good bit when it comes to finding the best positions for the players available in any given year. Trautwein had a great track record in developing olinemen during his tenure at BC, but it seems this is a make or break season for him at PSU....

Sometimes it seems there are players that just don't have a natural position, especially when a player has to learn to play the position that might be their most natural fit but that position is one of the strongest on the team depth wise.

Where do you believe Brandon Smith should have been playing? Mike/MLB? With his speed and the way he tested for the NFL why would a competent coach move him inside?

Parsons had a great impact to the team by playing LB. I trust the coaches that they were playing him where he best helped the team win, especially looking back on the fact that PSU had an effective DE group at that time as compared to the LB group without Parsons.

Sutherland has looked like a fish out of water any time he has been on the field other than on special teams.

Regarding the OL, Franklin has never been an OL coach so it seems to me that he has relied on his OL coaches a good bit when it comes to finding the best positions for the players available in any given year. Trautwein had a great track record in developing olinemen during his tenure at BC, but it seems this is a make or break season for him at PSU....
Agree with most if not all of what you say. I was just kind of sticking up for the other guy in the fact that it isn't a crazy though that JF moves people around.

I believe, good or bad, that he moves people to what they will probably play in the NFL, not what would be best for Penn State. Just an opinion, that's all.

I also think Lukets was played out of position until being forced to move to DE.

I will get flack for this but personally I would have love to have seen Tarburton and Zuriah at least have a chance at being a Ditka like MLB.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Agree with most if not all of what you say. I was just kind of sticking up for the other guy in the fact that it isn't a crazy though that JF moves people around.

I believe, good or bad, that he moves people to what they will probably play in the NFL, not what would be best for Penn State. Just an opinion, that's all.

I also think Lukets was played out of position until being forced to move to DE.

I will get flack for this but personally I would have love to have seen Tarburton and Zuriah at least have a chance at being a Ditka like MLB.
Don't all college coaches and coaching staff's try players at positions that they believe a player might have a chance to help the team? I doubt we as fans hear about 10% of the actual position evaluations that actually take place. Not sure why some believe what Franklin does is out of the ordinary.

I don't believe Frankin cares a hoot about what a player's NFL position might be in comparison to Franklin's motivation to get players on the field at positions that will help PSU win football games, which is why Franklin is getting paid. Franklin wants to win more that us hacker fans that waste too much time second guessing him in order to feel better about not sniffing the playoff.........

Luketa came to PSU as a LB and from all reports that is where he wanted to play as well as where the staff thought he should play. It seemed to me that after Luketa played LB for a season the staff realized that he did not have the quickness or recognition ability to excel at LB and with the need at DE the move made sense. When they moved him to DE PSU had a good group of 4 and 5 star young LB talent that the staff was likely pretty confident in as well.

Tarburton came to PSU as a LB as did Fisher and by all reports both did have a chance to show what they had as LB's as they both practiced at LB for over a year. From what I saw from Fisher in his H.S. highlights I also though he would be a human missile type of MLB for PSU, but high school highlights just don't accurately project a player's best B10 position the way careful evaluation by a coaching staff during practice does....... With the talent that is upcoming and incoming at DE Fisher might never be a big contributor at PSU which is a shame but plays out all the time in college football. Or maybe he just sticks with PSU and contributes late like Tarburton has done. It's what makes college football unique and part of what makes it interesting to me.

Last edited:
Luketa came to PSU as a LB and from all reports that is where he wanted to play as where the staff thought he should play. It seemed to me that after Luketa played LB for a season the staff realized that he did not have the quickness or recognition ability to excel at LB and with the need at DE the move made sense. When they moved him to DE PSU had a good group of 4 and 5 star young LB talent that the staff was likely pretty confident in as well.

Tarburton came to PSU as a LB as did Fisher and by all reports both did have a chance to show what they had as LB's as they both practiced at LB for over a year. From what I saw from Fisher in his H.S. highlights I also though he would be a human missile type of MLB for PSU, but high school highlights just don't accurately project a player's best B10 position the way careful evaluation by a coaching staff during practice does.......
Agreed

Good examples. Parsons is kind of iffy. #1, I think he was going to excel regardless of where he lines up. #2, losing his junior year makes his college career feel incomplete. I think he would have saw more edge snaps as a junior.

One you left out was Wilson, who I still don't know where he will line up. Minimally, I don't know why we moved him to WR if we weren't going to utilize his speed on Jets and Go routes while he learned the position or just kept him at CB. Considering no KR reps, hands issues?

Sutherland is definitely one of those tweeners. I don't think he starts all year unless he has a Luketa type improvement. Options are available, they just aren't returning starters types (yet).

Good examples. Parsons is kind of iffy. #1, I think he was going to excel regardless of where he lines up. #2, losing his junior year makes his college career feel incomplete. I think he would have saw more edge snaps as a junior.

One you left out was Wilson, who I still don't know where he will line up. Minimally, I don't know why we moved him to WR if we weren't going to utilize his speed on Jets and Go routes while he learned the position or just kept him at CB. Considering no KR reps, hands issues?

Sutherland is definitely one of those tweeners. I don't think he starts all year unless he has a Luketa type improvement. Options are available, they just aren't returning starters types (yet).
I knew I was forgetting someone. Wilson also played a good bit in the Cotton Bowl and had a pick in that game.

Good Point about Parsons, although if he lined up on the edge, he and Oweh would have been a terror.

The moves also go the other way as well and ones we didn't move left and made the move.

I think of Juwan Johnson to TE and Johnny Petrision to LB.

Not to be that guy, but Ditka played Tight End.

Don't all college coaches and coaching staff's try players at positions that they believe a player might have a chance to help the team? I doubt we as fans hear about 10% of the actual position evaluations that actually take place. Not sure why some believe what Franklin does is out of the ordinary.

I don't believe Frankin cares a hoot about what a player's NFL position might be in comparison to Franklin's motivation to get players on the field at positions that will help PSU win football games, which is why Franklin is getting paid. Franklin wants to win more that us hacker fans that waste too much time second guessing him in order to feel better about not sniffing the playoff.........

Luketa came to PSU as a LB and from all reports that is where he wanted to play as well as where the staff thought he should play. It seemed to me that after Luketa played LB for a season the staff realized that he did not have the quickness or recognition ability to excel at LB and with the need at DE the move made sense. When they moved him to DE PSU had a good group of 4 and 5 star young LB talent that the staff was likely pretty confident in as well.

Tarburton came to PSU as a LB as did Fisher and by all reports both did have a chance to show what they had as LB's as they both practiced at LB for over a year. From what I saw from Fisher in his H.S. highlights I also though he would be a human missile type of MLB for PSU, but high school highlights just don't accurately project a player's best B10 position the way careful evaluation by a coaching staff during practice does....... With the talent that is upcoming and incoming at DE Fisher might never be a big contributor at PSU which is a shame but plays out all the time in college football. Or maybe he just sticks with PSU and contributes late like Tarburton has done. It's what makes college football unique and part of what makes it interesting to me.
I thought you should know that I never read anything you write and will continue this practice until you stop with the bold print. It bothers my eyes. You'd would get much more discussion if you stopped with the bold print.

Reactions: PSUSignore
A little curious. When a player decommits that we really want, do we make an attempt to get him back or do we just let him go.
Penn State knew for a couple of weeks that Haynes was flirting with Georgia so I’m sure the coaching staff put the full court pressure on him to stay. Unfortunately it didn’t work and he decommitted and committed elsewhere. I’m sure the coaching staff is letting him go at this point.

there have been players in the past that have decommitted that we continued to recruit until they re-committed to us or committed elsewhere.

The reality of the situation is that the coaching staff knows of 80-90% of the decommitments coming so they are not often blindsided.

So in a case such as this who is responsible for putting out the "We Are Worse" tweet?

ADVERTISEMENT