ADVERTISEMENT

Ya.... Sure.... whatever you say.....

Well, mine lasted 12-14 days after which I was ok to go into the gargage/gym and discover I was operating at 5-7% of where I'd been prior to symptoms knocking me on my arse.

Aside from the 1994/5 flu (which hit me far worse) this was as bad as anything I've encountered in my life. I never went to the hospital and had 3 very rough days where a hospital stay began to look like a possibility.

It's now close to 100 days and I struggle with congestion and climbing stairs (and of course, mountains lol) is much more difficult. Thankfully, it has not impaired my strength training (my axching back has that down to a science lol)...but I know i'm not 100% back (close, but no cigar just yet). I'm not sure I ever will be all the way back.

So I have a healthy respect for this thing... but it still pales to the 90's flu I endured for months.

My sympathy to anyone struggling with this, especially as I know what kind of shape I was in prior, and most are not in my zone. I would not have wanted to fight this thing if I were some out of shape schlub busy eating twinkies and McD's while slurping soda (and smoking a half pack daily).

Well, mine lasted 12-14 days after which I was ok to go into the gargage/gym and discover I was operating at 5-7% of where I'd been prior to symptoms knocking me on my arse....

Thanks for sharing your story. If I might ask, how old are you and how do you suspect you contracted the virus? Do you believe that you passed on the infection to anyone else?

Reactions: step.eng69
Thanks for sharing your story. If I might ask, how old are you and how do you suspect you contracted the virus? Do you believe that you passed on the infection to anyone else?
Sure... 64. Possibly picked it up at Publix, Total Wine, LA Fitness. Any and all the above. I was lucky (imo) to get it early... before masks etc became the norm and the disease seemed to become more virulent.

I have asked myself about passing it on and while it might have happened, none of the people I circulate with got it... which doesn't mean they didn't get infected, just that they were never symptomatic.

The best moment was getting the ok from my father-in-law that it was cool to come over for a maskless dinner. I s/w other doctors in the family and all were good with it. Dinner worked out fine... it's a month later and mom and pop are just fine (oddly, no antibodies).

Sure... 64. Possibly picked it up at Publix, Total Wine, LA Fitness. Any and all the above. I was lucky (imo) to get it early... before masks etc became the norm and the disease seemed to become more virulent.

I have asked myself about passing it on and while it might have happened, none of the people I circulate with got it... which doesn't mean they didn't get infected, just that they were never symptomatic.

The best moment was getting the ok from my father-in-law that it was cool to come over for a maskless dinner. I s/w other doctors in the family and all were good with it. Dinner worked out fine... it's a month later and mom and pop are just fine (oddly, no antibodies).
That tells me this is not as contagious as said. If you had it and it was highly contagious, especially someone in family/friend/co-worker world should have caught it also. Probably several.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Is the disease move virulent today? I’ve read where some believe it has weakened and where another doc says it has not changed claiming any mutations are so subtle they have no impact.

Some certainly could have caught it, and never knew.
Agree. But it goes to my thought that lots of people contract it but very few (lucky me lol) become symptomatic let alone wind up in the hospital... or morgue. Pray it stays that way.

Agree. But it goes to my thought that lots of people contract it but very few (lucky me lol) become symptomatic let alone wind up in the hospital... or morgue. Pray it stays that way.
As you know, I did the hoapital thing in January and had all the symptoms but testing wasn't available then. I got the antibody test and it came back negative. My friends wife is high up the food chain at Sanofi Pasteur and she told me to "get tested again and don't watch the news". Lol. Studies are coming out now that 1 out of 5 may be false negatives. My thing is, why should I keep getting tested if the antibody tests aren't accurate? If it comes back positive, I won't believe it anyhow at this point.

BTW, I still get winded on steps and never did prior to January.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/tests-may-miss-more-than-1-in-5-covid-19-cases

17 people out of 350mm.

LdN
They *spoke* with 17 people... I don't think the article is implying that there are only 17 cases US or worldwide. Also, unless all 350 million Americans have had it, it is not "out of 350 million." Having said that, it surely is a fraction of a percent (for this long-term group). Still pretty scary... great to be alive, but what an impact to you and your loved ones to be "stuck."

A couple points, imo equally fascinating. I come into contact with tons of people. Forget whether I infected them... I know of NO ONE who is symptomatic. Zero.

My experience is shared by everyone I know. They know of the guy down the block who has a brother who's stepson has a friend he knew from high school who dated a girl who has an uncle that's positive. Whew.

In short, who are these hospitalized peeps and where the f did they come from?

And since this thing was clearly out since last spring, i'd wager a good many who thought they had the regular old flu last fall... didn't. And they're still tickin.

My favorite mask belongs to this guy...

s-l300-1.jpg

Reactions: 91Joe95 and blmr31
They *spoke* with 17 people... I don't think the article is implying that there are only 17 cases US or worldwide. Also, unless all 350 million Americans have had it, it is not "out of 350 million." Having said that, it surely is a fraction of a percent (for this long-term group). Still pretty scary... great to be alive, but what an impact to you and your loved ones to be "stuck."
I cannot begin to tell you how tired i am of hearing about "cases." .. give us the HOW MANY (cases), of those the number symptomatic (vs not), of those, the number in hospital, and finally, of those, the number who die.

[Pretty damned simple. Of course, that might mess up the wienie roasted twinkies they're serving us.]

Give us that % per million (100, thousand, whatever) then get back to me.

Protect the elderly that still want to be protected (many don't)... protect the immune deficient... then get busy living or get busy dying. Been saying it since before i had covid... nothing's changed.

I cannot begin to tell you how tired i am of hearing about "cases." .. give us the HOW MANY (cases), of those the number symptomatic (vs not), of those, the number in hospital, and finally, of those, the number who die.

[Pretty damned simple. Of course, that might mess up the wienie roasted twinkies they're serving us.]

Protect the elderly that still want to be protected (many don't)... protect the immune deficient... then get busy living or get busy dying. Been saying it since before i had covid... nothing's changed.
^^^^^^^^ THIS! ^^^^^^^ (x 1000).

Well, mine lasted 12-14 days after which I was ok to go into the gargage/gym and discover I was operating at 5-7% of where I'd been prior to symptoms knocking me on my arse.

Aside from the 1994/5 flu (which hit me far worse) this was as bad as anything I've encountered in my life. I never went to the hospital and had 3 very rough days where a hospital stay began to look like a possibility.

It's now close to 100 days and I struggle with congestion and climbing stairs (and of course, mountains lol) is much more difficult. Thankfully, it has not impaired my strength training (my axching back has that down to a science lol)...but I know i'm not 100% back (close, but no cigar just yet). I'm not sure I ever will be all the way back.

So I have a healthy respect for this thing... but it still pales to the 90's flu I endured for months.

My sympathy to anyone struggling with this, especially as I know what kind of shape I was in prior, and most are not in my zone. I would not have wanted to fight this thing if I were some out of shape schlub busy eating twinkies and McD's while slurping soda (and smoking a half pack daily).

Glad to hear you are doing better sir.

Be the fighter that you are!!

Glad you did not die. Sorry you are still enduring limitations from the illness.

I live in a rural area. The two biggest cities in my whole state are only 50,000 people. Not many cases here, not many deaths. But hospitals in Texas (including the largest hospital system in the world) are filling up their ICU beds.

To me the funniest part of the rap of the minimizers is the part about "those with pre-existing conditions," as though everyone knows who they are.

Lost a good friend 18 mos. ago when a deep vein thrombosis progressed to a pulmonary embolism. He threw clots to his lungs and just DIED. He was 54. He had no idea he was in any danger. No idea of the threat to his life. I was thinking that if that had not happened and he got Covid, probably a dead man anyway.

What do the studies show about permanent damage to your lungs from Covid and how that makes you more susceptible to pneumonia and other lung ailments? Yeah, nothing, because there have not been any. We tend to think that if it doesn't kill you, then you are totally healthy. Lots of evidence coming that shows it ain't necessarily so.

Have the docs assured you that your lung function will come back? I'd understand if you dont want to answer.

Last edited:
Glad you did not die. Sorry you are still enduring limitations from the illness.

I live in a rural area. The two biggest cities in my whole state are only 50,000 people. Not many cases here, not many deaths. But hospitals in Texas (including the largest hospital system in the world) are filling up their ICU beds.

To me the funniest part of the rap of the minimizers is the part about "those with pre-existing conditions," as though everyone knows who they are.

Lost a good friend 18 mos. ago when a deep vein thrombosis progressed to a pulmonary embolism. He threw clots to his lungs and just DIED. He was 54. He had no idea he was in any danger. No idea of the threat to his life. I was thinking that if that had not happened and he got Covid, probably a dead man anyway.

What do the studies show about permanent damage to your lungs from Covid and how that makes you more susceptible to pneumonia and other lung ailments? Yeah, nothing, because there have not been any. We tend to think that if it doesn't kill you, then you are totally healthy. Lots of evidence coming that shows it ain't necessarily so.

Have the docs assured you that your lung function will come back? I'd understand if you dont want to answer.

The point made re underlying conditions is a good one as we really don't know what might lurk beneath the surface. But we do know if we have diabetes, heart conditions, etc. We know if we're out of shape, nutrition-light 70 somethings. So most of know if we have a pre-disposition to getting banged.

[Still a funny aside: i couldn't get the covid test at first because i didn't meet the requirements. Only when i added on having asthma was i ushered in. Later, most studies concluded having asthma was not an underlying condition lol.]

All the docs think I will be 100% so long as i continue working out etc. We're headed to Montana in October and there will be fire smoke, cold nights, and long hikes/climbs. I'll get back with the group and relay my results after that.

Dem... sorry about your friend. Never ez losing someone, especially so young.

Last edited:
Just a quickie... my wife just had her antibody test come back freaking negative. Gack.

This despite having been on a plane and living maskless with me who is out and about and at the gym (she's in the gym, too). Nadda. Sheesh.

Unless you regularly see a pulmonologist, it is doubtful you know how well your lungs are functioning... and even rarer are those who know what the inside of their lungs look like. COVID impacts everyone differently, some fully recover (from a lung function perspective), some die, most 'recover' somewhere in between.

Are COVID patients the only ones in ICU? I doubt it. There are people now being admitted to hospitals that were not 1, 2, 3 months ago when hospitals were basically shutdown for everything other that COVID.

The point made re underlying conditions is a good one as we really don't know what might lurk beneath the surface. But we do know if we have diabetes, heart conditions, etc. We know if we're out of shape, nutrition-light 70 somethings. So most of know if we have a pre-disposition to getting banged.

[Still a funny aside: i couldn't get the covid test at first because i didn't meet the requirements. Only when i added on having asthma was i ushered in. Later, most studies concluded having asthma was not an underlying condition lol.]

All the docs think I will be 100% so long as i continue working out etc. We're headed to Montana in October and there will be fire smoke, cold nights, and long hikes/climbs. I'll get back with the group and relay my results after that.

Dem... sorry about your friend. Never ez losing someone, especially so young.

In reference to demlions phrase: Glad you did not die. I'm betting you're pretty damn happy you didn't die either.

What a profound statement dem!!

You certainly got a way with words sir.

My sincere sympathies on the loss of your friend dem. I mean that.

Keep fighting N&B4PSU.

The beer, wine, whiskey, pop, or ice-tea sir is on me!!

:)

Just a quickie... my wife just had her antibody test come back freaking negative. Gack.

This despite having been on a plane and living maskless with me who is out and about and at the gym (she's in the gym, too). Nadda. Sheesh.

I think that test is pretty un-reliable.

Just talked to another guy I know. Covid positive end of March. Mid 60s. A doctor. Bilateral pneumonia. He got blood clots which shut his kidneys down. He was 14 days on a ventilator. 3 mos post ventilator removal, he has finally stopped having to use a walker, but he is still having respiratopry issues and has a chest X ray scheduled to find out why he is still having trouble breathing.

Last edited:
Unless you regularly see a pulmonologist, it is doubtful you know how well your lungs are functioning... and even rarer are those who know what the inside of their lungs look like. COVID impacts everyone differently, some fully recover (from a lung function perspective), some die, most 'recover' somewhere in between.

Are COVID patients the only ones in ICU? I doubt it. There are people now being admitted to hospitals that were not 1, 2, 3 months ago when hospitals were basically shutdown for everything other that COVID.

If someone needed ICU care 3 months ago and did not get it, would they still be around?

ADVERTISEMENT