ADVERTISEMENT

WVU schedules game with Duquesne.

Wow...unless things at Duquesne have changed dramatically since I was there a decade ago, this strikes me as dangerous.

Nothing against Duquesne but that game is going to be a massacre of epic proportions. I'd think WVU could have done a bit better seeing how it's still five years out.

So WVU plays Penn State, then Duquesne, then Pitt.

So one game they won’t win, one game they should win and one game they will win.....in that order! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Cosmos and Nitwit
Well, WVU is only paying Duquesne $425K for that game. That rather low number (low compared to most of these FBS vs FCS contracts) explains quite a bit.

But ........ I'm not sure how many scholarships Duquesne awards for football. The FCS limit is 63. Most of the NEC schools are nowhere near that number.

For an FBS vs. FCS game to count toward Bowl eligibility for the FBS team, the FCS school must award at least 90% of that 63 number. E.g., 56.

So it's possible this game may not even count toward Bowl eligiblity for WVU. Possible. Don't know for sure.

Duquesne did play Buffalo in 2014, FWIW. Tied at 21-21 into the 3rd quarter, before Buffalo eventually won 38-28. So it wasn't a complete mismatch. WVU is usually a whole let better than Buffalo, of course. That was the only other occurrence I can find of Duquesne playing an FBS team.

Reactions: diontechristmas
That was the only other occurrence I can find of Duquesne playing an FBS team.
I looked at the Dukes 2018 schedule. They'll be playing at Hawaii. Imagine that. It has to be a decent payday to cover the cost. Maybe Duquesne is testing the waters of making the move to FBS. o_O

I looked at the Dukes 2018 schedule. They'll be playing at Hawaii. Imagine that. It has to be a decent payday to cover the cost. Maybe Duquesne is testing the waters of making the move to FBS. o_O

Good catch. Hawaii! That might be the longest road trip in college football this year!

They're playing Massachusetts as well. So two FBS teams in one year.

Duquesne FB appears to have some ambition. Good for them. Maybe they'll try to upgrade to the Big South for football (Monmouth moved from the NEC to Big South a few years ago).

The Dukes are better than you think. I’m not exactly sure how they get there either, but they are a “counter” program for bowl eligibility. This means they have at least 57 scholarships/aid packages. They play UMASS and Hawaii this year, and are a pretty solid FCS team. They will be no match for WVU obviously, but Duquesne plays some pretty good football.

Reactions: michnittlion
Hawaii then Morgantown....doesn’t seem like a fair trade for the players.

Why are they playing Duquense? Maybe Point Park was busy that weekend.

It says the last time they played was in 1935 when Duquesne won 19-0. There's probably some 95 year old WVU fan that's been waiting 80+ years for revenge reading that article and getting psyched.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmos
Why are they playing Duquense? Maybe Point Park was busy that weekend.

It says the last time they played was in 1985 when Duquesne won 19-0. There's probably some 95 year old WVU fan that's been waiting 80+ years for revenge reading that article and getting psyched.

Ahh $hit, OP2! I got a good belly laugh out of that one. Thank you.

ADVERTISEMENT