ADVERTISEMENT

WRESTLING TALK - 285

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
This is the final weight class to be reviewed. No judgment, prognostications, or guesses on placements in the coming year, as it’s way too early for that. These were simply recaps of who’s returning, with some of what I consider consensus on those changing weights, and where appropriate, a little on redshirt freshmen and true freshmen.

Who will make the biggest jump improvement-wise? Which redshirt or true freshmen will surprise? And then there’s the unfortunate side of wrestling, who will be hurt during the season (I hope no one)? It's all part of the sport we love.

Hope you enjoyed the 'tween season reviews...

This weight class loses more than any other, except 149 (both lose 5) in terms of All-American finishers. Gone are the top four finishers from Cleveland, 4-time finalist, and 3-time champ Kyle Snyder, Adam Coon, Amar Dhesi, and Jacob Kasper. Also graduated is 6th Placer Mike Hughes. That’s a lot of talent gone, and when one looks at Wrsetlestat, the current top eight are all Seniors, so this weight class turns over more than 80% of the top 20 guys in two years. Sure, there’s a ton of talent coming (Gable Steveson, Seth Nevills, Anthony Cassioppi, and Mason Parris among them), but 285 will take a step backward from an overall talent standpoint for a year or so, imo.

Back for another year are Sam Stoll (IOWA, 5th), Nick Nevills (PSU, 7th), and Youssif Hemida (MD, 8th). Rounding out the top returnees are R12 guys Jordan Wood (LEH), Derek White (OKST), and Jere Heino (CAMP). Bottom line, only six of the top 12 return, and it appears the number may be five of 12 if Nick Nevills doesn’t start the season for PSU.

In addition, there’s a strong group that hope to be top-8 at NCAA’s, which includes; Tanner Hall (AZST, 3rd Place in 2017), Thomas Haines (LH), Billy Miller (VT, by way of EDIN), Benjamin Honis (CORN), Malik McDonald (NCST), Conan Jennings (NU), Shawn Streck (PUR), and Joey Goodhart (DREX, back from a RS year), among others. The class of the RSFR’s at 285 is Chase Singletary (tOSU), and likely starter and true freshman Gable Steveson (MINN) has the talent and potential to be a very rare National Champ at the heaviest weight class.

Then there’s the Penn State story. The rumors are flying, with a bit of evidence from anyone that’s seen Anthony Cassar, that he will be starting this season at heavyweight. Heaven only knows, and it's presumptuous to say anything except that this could go several ways as the season progresses.

285 is a strong weight class, despite the departures. There is more parity compared to last year, when everyone penciled in Snyder and Coon as finalists. Not true this year, and I for one, am excited to see how it unfolds.

Enjoy the rest of your Summers all...the season will be here soon enough.

This is the final weight class to be reviewed. No judgment, prognostications, or guesses on placements in the coming year, as it’s way too early for that. These were simply recaps of who’s returning, with some of what I consider consensus on those changing weights, and where appropriate, a little on redshirt freshmen and true freshmen.

Who will make the biggest jump improvement-wise? Which redshirt or true freshmen will surprise? And then there’s the unfortunate side of wrestling, who will be hurt during the season (I hope no one)? It's all part of the sport we love.

This weight class loses more than any other, except 149 (both lose 5) in terms of All-American finishers. Gone are the top four finishers from Cleveland, 4-time finalist, and 3-time champ Kyle Snyder, Adam Coon, Amar Dhesi, and Jacob Kasper. Also graduated is 6th Placer Mike Hughes. That’s a lot of talent gone, and when one looks at Wrsetlestat, the current top eight are all Seniors, so this weight class turns over more than 80% of the top 20 guys in two years. Sure, there’s a ton of talent coming (Gable Steveson, Seth Nevills, Anthony Cassioppi, and Mason Parris among them), but 285 will take a step backward from an overall talent standpoint for a year or so, imo.

Back for another year are Sam Stoll (IOWA, 5th), Nick Nevills (PSU, 7th), and Youssif Hemida (MD, 8th). Rounding out the top returnees are R12 guys Jordan Wood (LEH), Derek White (OKST), and Jere Heino (CAMP). Bottom line, only six of the top 12 return, and it appears the number may be five of 12 if Nick Nevills doesn’t start the season for PSU.

In addition, there’s a strong group that hope to be top-8 at NCAA’s, which includes; Tanner Hall (AZST, 3rd Place in 2017), Thomas Haines (LH), Billy Miller (VT, by way of EDIN), Benjamin Honis (CORN), Malik McDonald (NCST), Conan Jennings (NU), Shawn Streck (PUR), and Joey Goodhart (DREX, back from a RS year), among others. The class of the RSFR’s at 285 is Chase Singletary (tOSU), and likely starter and true freshman Gable Steveson (MINN) has the talent and potential to be a very rare National Champ at the heaviest weight class.

Then there’s the Penn State story. The rumors are flying, with a bit of evidence from anyone that’s seen Anthony Cassar, that he will be starting this season at heavyweight. Heaven only knows, and it's presumptuous to say anything except that this could go several ways as the season progresses.

285 is a strong weight class, despite the departures. There is more parity compared to last year, when everyone penciled in Snyder and Coon as finalists. Not true this year, and I for one, am excited to see how it unfolds.

It is sad if Nevills is injured. I think he had a very good chance at the title this year given the
competition.

It is sad if Nevills is injured. I think he had a very good chance at the title this year given the
competition.

Yea, perhaps it's a long shot, but I'm rooting for a full recovery, and an injury free year, where he has a chance to go out strong.

Reactions: PSUer1989
On the one hand (selfishly) I wish we knew more about his situation, on the other hand I totally understand we are not due any info at all. I do wish him all the best, he has been a warrior for PSU despite the injury bad breaks he has endured.

On the one hand (selfishly) I wish we knew more about his situation, on the other hand I totally understand we are not due any info at all. I do wish him all the best, he has been a warrior for PSU despite the injury bad breaks he has endured.
I meet the Nevills family in Cleveland last year at the PSU social Saturday night..great family!

@RoarLions1 this has been a terrific series by you. Football season getting ready to start, wrestling around the corner, some fly fishing for wild browns in Central PA and cooler nights. So much to look forward to. Once again thanks.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I think the report was that Dhesi had another year of eligibility available to him via a medical, but he was choosing not to take it. This would make sense if he had graduated or completed his educational goals. It's quite possible that NCAA achievement is not as important to him as it is to us. Or not.

Reactions: pish69
I think the report was that Dhesi had another year of eligibility available to him via a medical, but he was choosing not to take it. This would make sense if he had graduated or completed his educational goals. It's quite possible that NCAA achievement is not as important to him as it is to us. Or not.
Also quite possible Dhesi wants to start training freestyle full-time immediately.

He's gotta be among the favorites -- if not THE favorite -- to win the Canadian world team trials right now.

competition.

Agree. 285 moreso than any other weight tends to clear out as it almost always senior and junior heavy (sic?). :D

A fully healthy Nick would be one of the favorites in 2019 and would probably start the season ranked #2 behind Stoll.

He's gotta be among the favorites -- if not THE favorite -- to win the Canadian world team trials right now.
I know that it's not even remotely a fair comparison, but why does that sound like the Jamaican bobsled team? (Actually, the new one is the Korean hockey team).

Also quite possible Dhesi wants to start training freestyle full-time immediately.

That's exactly what I was going for. Kid grew up wrestling freestyle and parlayed his success into helping get (I assume) an education at an American university. If he has graduated, why would he stick around unless he wanted to start on an advanced degree? I would assume his wrestling goals would be more internationally focused than US focused.

I put the "or not" because you never know what motivates someone else, but the above sounds obvious.

Agree. 285 moreso than any other weight tends to clear out as it almost always senior and junior heavy (sic?). :D

A fully healthy Nick would be one of the favorites in 2019 and would probably start the season ranked #2 behind Stoll.
Stoll finished higher the Nick at NCAA--but Nick got hurt in that match he lost to Stoll(shoulder) Nick beat Stoll 2 times last season ans lost once--im thinking Nick might start season ranked higher then Stoll

Reactions: pish69
I know that it's not even remotely a fair comparison, but why does that sound like the Jamaican bobsled team? (Actually, the new one is the Korean hockey team).
At least Korea has winters ...

Regardless of the overall strength of Canuckistan wrestling, Dhesi was legit before he stepped foot on campus in Corvallis. Junior world champ in freestyle.

That's exactly what I was going for. Kid grew up wrestling freestyle and parlayed his success into helping get (I assume) an education at an American university. If he has graduated, why would he stick around unless he wanted to start on an advanced degree? I would assume his wrestling goals would be more internationally focused than US focused.

I put the "or not" because you never know what motivates someone else, but the above sounds obvious.
6th year would make more sense if he transferred to a school with a better freestyle club program. Does Zalesky even have an RTC? Certainly world class practice partners aren't growing on trees there.

Stoll finished higher the Nick at NCAA--but Nick got hurt in that match he lost to Stoll(shoulder) Nick beat Stoll 2 times last season ans lost once--im thinking Nick might start season ranked higher then Stoll

That may make sense to you but I'll take odds that Stoll is ranked ahead of Nevills in EVERY preseason set of rankings.

That may make sense to you but I'll take odds that Stoll is ranked ahead of Nevills in EVERY preseason set of rankings.

This does annoy me, many seem to think Stoll should be ranked over Nick, despite Nick beating him in the regular season and Bigs, and only losing at NCAA’s in a match he came away with an injury. If Nick is healthy I rank him number one!

Easy target. It's not like Stoll's going to ever shoot back.
Well, I am a fair and honest man and I'll say that he definitely picked up his offense a lot at the end of the season last year. And, just due to the sheer size of their opponents, it's a lot tougher for heavyweights to be shooting machines (pun actually NOT intended).

Rankings are more art than science -- there's no silver bullet.

Predictions (Healthy Nevills & Stoll)
1) Gable
2) Nevills
3) White
4) Stoll
5) Hemida
6) Wood
7) Hall
8) Singletary

Cassar AA if he wrestles.
Cassioppi Rd12 if he wrestles.

ADVERTISEMENT