ADVERTISEMENT

WRESTLING TALK - 184

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
The last of the four weight classes with seven (7) returning All-Americans, 184 has Bo Nickal (PSU, 1st), Myles Martin (tOSU, 2nd), Emery Parker (ILL, 3rd), Taylor Venz (NEB, 4th), Zack Zavatsky (VT, 6th), Chip Ness (UNC, 7th), and Max Dean (CORN, 8th) back, as only Abounader (MICH, 5th) departs. Ryan Preisch (LEH) is the only returning R12 guy. This is a Senior-laden group, with Venz and Dean Sophomores, and the rest in their last year of eligibility.

One question on most PSU fans minds is who goes here, Bo or Rasheed Shakur (PSU 197, 7th). Even tikk was being playful in a separate thread, wondering what I might write on this matter. Sure wish you’d have placed a winkie-face in that post somewhere, ol’ (he’s not really “old”) buddy ;). Fact is, I hope that y’all know me better than that, even though for many it's anonymously. So, I flipped a coin, heads for Bo, tails for Shakur, and it came up tails…so I’ll go with Shak. Foreshadowing of events?

Aside from those mentioned, there’s other talent arriving at 184. Nick Reenan (NCST) is coming off redshirt and is an instant top-8 guy, maybe top-4. Early signs are that Jacobe Smith (OKST AA, 8th at 174), and Dakota Geer (OKST, by way of EDIN, and coming off RS) will battle for the Cowboy 184 spot. Either will be top-8 contenders. Drew Foster (UNI), and Cash Wilcke (IOWA, wrestled 197 last year) are other Big Ten guys that will make noise.

Then there’s 3 RSFR in Nino Bonaccoursi (PITT), Louie DePrez (BING) and Jelani Embree (MICH). Freshmen at the heavier weights, historically, don’t have the success as at the lower weights, but there’s always exceptions. Regarding TRFR, I don't see any.

As a weight class, 184 is solid. Lots of Seniors, all vying for a final shot at glory after four of five years of blood, sweat, and tears (hey, sounds like a great name for a band!). Should make for a great season.

Last edited:
Even tikk was being playful in a separate thread, wondering what I might write on this matter. Sure wish you’d have placed a winkie-face in that post somewhere, ol’ (he’s not really “old”) buddy ;). Fact is, I hope that y’all know me better than that, even though for many it's anonymously.
Oh, I figured everyone knew I was having fun. Plus, I'm not much of an emoji guy.

I was also fairly certain that, on the issue of which weight Wrestler X is going to go, you wouldn't have any more information than anyone else because I think the staff has an only marginally better idea than we do here in early August. Kids grow. And when they do, PSU has options, most of them splendid. So if anything is keeping Cael awake at night, I doubt it's our 184-HWT situation. But it sure is interesting.

As for oldness, I'm presently waging war on having turned 50 by cutting weight. Already down 12 lbs in 3 weeks, though getting to 197 will take a few months. The cause of all that is having entered a "Tough Mudder" on October 7 with my HS wrestling team and coach and I'm pretty certain that I'm going to be hospitalized on October 8 unless I train like I haven't in decades.

Last edited:
Oh, I figured everyone knew I was having fun. Plus, I'm not much of an emoji guy.

I was also fairly certain that, on the issue of which weight Wrestler X is going to go, you wouldn't have any more information than anyone else because I think the staff has an only marginally better idea than we do here in early August. Kids grow. And when they do, PSU has options, most of them splendid. So if anything is keeping Cael awake at night, I doubt it's our 184-HWT situation. But it sure is interesting.

As for oldness, I'm presently waging war on having turning 50 by cutting weight. Already down 12 lbs in 3 weeks, though getting to 197 will take a few months. The cause of all that is having entered a "Tough Mudder" on October 7 with my HS wrestling team and coach and I'm pretty certain that I'm going to be hospitalized on October 8 unless I train like I haven't in decades.
Good luck with the Tough Mudder event. We'd LOVE some photos.

Reactions: tikk10

As for oldness, I'm presently waging war on having turned 50 by cutting weight. Already down 12 lbs in 3 weeks, though getting to 197 will take a few months. The cause of all that is having entered a "Tough Mudder" on October 7 with my HS wrestling team and coach and I'm pretty certain that I'm going to be hospitalized on October 8 unless I train like I haven't in decades.
Cael, Shak and Bo all know who is wrestling 184 and 197 this year.

Cael, Shak and Bo all know who is wrestling 184 and 197 this year.
Well, to look at a recent photo of Shak (on the Twitter thread), you'd tend to think that. But he was wrestling under 197 last year anyway, so tough to tell. When Bo went from 174 to 184, that move was preceded by rumors similar to the ones we're hearing now. My recollection was that Bo wasn't shy about telling others, at camps and such, that he was going up, and then it played out just as rumored. So I'd expect him to be at 197 this season.

Well, to look at a recent photo of Shak (on the Twitter thread), you'd tend to think that. But he was wrestling under 197 last year anyway, so tough to tell. When Bo went from 174 to 184, that move was preceded by rumors similar to the ones we're hearing now. My recollection was that Bo wasn't shy about telling others, at camps and such, that he was going up, and then it played out just as rumored. So I'd expect him to be at 197 this season.
My point is just at this point in time (2 weeks out from labor day weekend) Bo knows exactly what he is doing. I doubt very much Bo has kept it a secret, so the staff knows and Shak as well as other team members know.
We just don't get a whole lot of "hey Lion wrestling fans, what's going on in the room this week" news broadcasts.
Maybe somebody should start such a weekly broadcast, or at least monthly.

By the way, Shak 84 Bo 97.

I don't know about noodle arms, but unlike one dysfunctional family Bo will end up being a 4 time finalist and 3 time champion with trophies and acclamation as opposed to a weed induced fantasy of accomplishments.
Hey now - go easy on weed induced fantasies. I can see those succulent Devil Dogs and Tastykakes in my sleep

If Bo goes up, and Valencia stays at 174, who is going to beat Myles Martin?
Iirc he pretty much dominated everyone else last year.

The last time we were talking about him moving up, it was Bo himself that started the chatter... he announced it at a summer wrestling clinic. It was several weeks later that Cael made it official.
We haven’t heard anything about Bo moving up this year, other than what we’ve seen on this board. From all the info I have heard, Bo’s staying at 84. However... I keep thinking that Shak looked much bigger last year at this time, but that’s really my only pause.

Roar (and others), great insights on these weight class reviews. But I'm surprised you failed to address the most pressing question about Shak's 2018/19 season: skullcap or no skullcap?

Reactions: tabenn
Roar (and others), great insights on these weight class reviews. But I'm surprised you failed to address the most pressing question about Shak's 2018/19 season: skullcap or no skullcap?
I have yet to see those things NOT be a hindrance to the wrestler wearing it. I remember when Askren tried to sport one and he spent the entire first period wrestling with the derned thing, as opposed to wrestling his opponent!

I saw Shak at final X at Rec Hall--as of then still no hair cut.

1) Martin
2) Reenan
3) Parker
4) Venz
5) Shak
6) Foster
7) Ca$h
8) OKST Guy

If Zahid & Bo are here, they're 1 & 2.

1) Martin
2) Reenan
3) Parker
4) Venz
5) Shak
6) Foster
7) Ca$h
8) OKST Guy

At least this means at least one more Parker vs. Venz match, I support that--they had some incredibly entertaining matches last year. But yeah, I take Preisch over Wilke, for sure. Probably also Foster.

1) Martin
2) Reenan
3) Parker
4) Venz
5) Shak
6) Foster
7) Ca$h
8) OKST Guy

At least this means at least one more Parker vs. Venz match, I support that--they had some incredibly entertaining matches last year. But yeah, I take Preisch over Wilke, for sure. Probably also Foster.
Preisch isn't the most offensive-oriented guy, though he wrestles close matches and an beat anyone on that list on a given day.

No Preisch or Zavatsky but Wilcke + random Poke dude?

By no means am I an expert and am hoping more people list their thoughts on who will AA. All my predictions are a mix of who I think the best 8 are & it's the NCAA tournament so the top 8 guys aren't always the ones that AA, so i mixed in some upsets and such while keeping it relatively chalky.

Did I say a few months? I meant weeks. Started at around 230 in late July, so that's about 35 lbs in 9 weeks. I might be able to get to 184 by October 7 but 190 is probably more realistic. Haven't been below the Mendoza Line in a few decades and I feel pretty good. Not ready-to-take-on-Bo good, but at least I'm out of the HWT division.

HgOudYI.jpg

Did I say a few months? I meant weeks. Started at around 230 in late July, so that's about 35 lbs in 9 weeks. I might be able to get to 184 by October 7 but 190 is probably more realistic. Haven't been below the Mendoza Line in a few decades and I feel pretty good. Not ready-to-take-on-Bo good, but at least I'm out of the HWT division.

HgOudYI.jpg

Ha, excellent cause for bump, brother. Congrats!

Reactions: tikk10

HgOudYI.jpg
What does the scale say when you put both feet on it?

ADVERTISEMENT