ADVERTISEMENT

WRESTLING TALK - 165

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
Along with already-mentioned 133 and 157, 165 and 184 are the other two weight classes that only graduate one All-American from 2018. That guy at 165 is Isaiah Martinez, two-time champ and 4-time finalist. As noted, plenty of talent back, with Cenzo Joseph (PSU, 1st), Evan Wick (WIS, 3rd), Chance Marsteller (LH, 4th), David McFadden (VT, 5th), Alex Marinelli (IOWA, 6th), Jon Jay Chavez (CORN, 7th), and Chandler Rogers (OKST, 8th). Isaiah White (NEB) is the only returning R12 guy, as Wanzek (MINN), Lewis (RUT), and Walsh (RID) depart.

165 is another weight class that needs a deeper look to see the whole picture. Logan Massa is back, and hopefully full strength after an injury-plagued 2017-18. He’s a past AA, in 2017 (mentioned for Jammenz sake), and can go with anyone. Also back are Anthony Valencia (AZST), and Branson Ashworth (WYO), as well as 2017-18 RS’s Bryce Steiert (UNI) and Thomas Bullard (NCST). All-in-all, a competitive group on paper, where any of the 13 guys listed, among a few others, could end the year as AA.

Oklahoma State has an interesting situation here, and the weight classes that surround 165. 2x AA Joe Smith wrestled 157 in 2015-16 and 2016-17 before going 165 last year in his RS season. He’s back, and could go 165 this year. Some of the Cowboy fans (see “34 and Holding”) have Smith going 165 or 174, and the linchpin for the 165-184 portion of their line-up. The Cowboys have Chandler Rogers (see above, 2018 AA 8th Place @ 165), Jacobe Smith (2018 AA, 8th Place @ 174), and newcomer Dakota Geer (2018 RS, by way of Edinboro). That’s four really good guys for three weights, and none of them have a RS year to burn. I should note here that the combinations and permutations are too many to list here. I’m going Rogers at 165.

True freshmen most likely to make starting line-ups and rise to the top-10 are David Carr (IAST, who could also go 157), and Shane Griffins (STAN). Coach Dresser said, specifically of Carr, that time would tell, and a decision is likely after the Southern Scuffle).

Again, overall looks like a very competitive weight class, with a good bit of parity. The PSU guy here is two-time champ Cenzo Joseph. While I really like his chances, there’s less separation than at other weight classes. Win again, and he’ll have earned it.

Last edited:
The biggest question to me at 165 is, if Joseph makes the finals again this year, will Tim Johnson finally know how to pronounce his name?

Bull v Joseph would have been nice to see with the hypothetical PSU v Iowa off year contest.

I think White from NEB takes another leap forward this season and will finish somewhere in the top 6. I think I was most nervous for Joseph in that match at Nationals than any of his others (other than IMAR of course)

I think White from NEB takes another leap forward this season and will finish somewhere in the top 6. I think I was most nervous for Joseph in that match at Nationals than any of his others (other than IMAR of course)
It was a tad nerve racking. Of course White in constant reverse and being allowed was somewhat irritating.

Something about the bright lights of nationals that brings out the best in Cenzo. In a very competitive field I see him still as the class of the division. He's the champ until someone proves otherwise.

Reactions: tabenn
Cenzo vs Wick should be interesting. Wick seemed to own Massa (possibly injury induced) last year which surprised me and we haven't seen Wick vs Cenzo yet which is odd given they are both B1G and finished first and third. I see Cenzo winning a close match.

Cenzo vs Wick should be interesting. Wick seemed to own Massa (possibly injury induced) last year which surprised me and we haven't seen Wick vs Cenzo yet which is odd given they are both B1G and finished first and third. I see Cenzo winning a close match.
Compelling match indeed. We get Wisconsin at home, so we should see this match-up during the season.

All Evan did at nationals was pin Marsteller and Wanzek, major Marinelli 16-3, and beat Massa by decision. Won two other bouts, and lost twice to McFadden, nothing to be ashamed of. Wick's confidence has to be sky high heading into 2018-19, his sophomore season.

Wicks Mom is a f** follow on the tweeter machine

Compelling match indeed. We get Wisconsin at home, so we should see this match-up during the season.

All Evan did at nationals was pin Marsteller and Wanzek, major Marinelli 16-3, and beat Massa by decision. Won two other bouts, and lost twice to McFadden, nothing to be ashamed of. Wick's confidence has to be sky high heading into 2018-19, his sophomore season.

I thought Wick took 3rd with the fall over Chance?

All Evan did at nationals was pin Marsteller and Wanzek, major Marinelli 16-3, and beat Massa by decision. Won two other bouts, and lost twice to McFadden, nothing to be ashamed of. Wick's confidence has to be sky high heading into 2018-19, his sophomore season.[/QUOTE]

Geez...Is Wick played by Keanu Reeves?

Asking for a friend?

#notjudgemental
No. Pretty sure he was decked out in TMWC gear and seemed to know a lot of the older wrestling coaches at the US Open. Thought maybe someone on here may know.

I thought Wick took 3rd with the fall over Chance?
You are correct. Apologize, I used Wrestlestat, and it shows two losses, both to McFadden. Knew better too. THANKS!!

Andegre...this, and several other info errors I've seen recently. Is there a way to get in touch?

If Massa fully healthy, I could see this. I can't see Wick or McFadden finishing behind Marinelli. Marinelli is way too basic to reach the top 4, imo.

Very fair to say.

I think a healthy Massa is the biggest threat to Cenzo. Obviously Marinelli has beaten him so that means something. Wick went on a tear at NCAA and is a thrill to watch.

Reactions: matter7172
If Massa fully healthy, I could see this. I can't see Wick or McFadden finishing behind Marinelli. Marinelli is way too basic to reach the top 4, imo.
well he made it to the semi's last year and provided a good match for IMAR... I wouldn't count him out, strong and hates to lose. Imagine that, an Iowa guy that hates to lose... How can you tell? the way they act when their hand isn't raised... (before someone points me out, Stoll and Bull are the latest that come to mind)

ADVERTISEMENT