ADVERTISEMENT

WRESTLING TALK - 157 Early (Now LP!!)

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
Haha...gotcha!! Just kidding, wanted to let you know 157 IS coming today, but not till later tonight. Oh, and I love OUR GUY at this weight class.

Here it is, enjoy! Five down, five to go...

Another of the four weight classes that only lose one All-American, 157 is the only weight class with the top-7 returning. Jason Nolf (PSU, 1st), Hayden Hidley (NCST, 2nd), Tyler Berger (NEB, 3rd), Michael Kemerer (IOWA, 4th), Alec Pantaleo (MICH, 5th), Micah Jordan (tOSU, 6th), and Josh Shields (AZST, 7th) round out the returnees. Every weight class has a bit of movement, 157 is no different, as it appears Kemerer is taking a somewhat rare two weight class jump, going 174. Then there’s the mild speculation that the Buckeyes will switch Hayes and Jordan, though I’m thinking Micah stays where he is.

There’s also 3 returning R12 guys, Kennedy Monday (UNC), Paul Fox (STAN), and John Van Brill (RUT), so that’s 9 of the top-12 guys back.

Ryan Deakin (NU) is the most notable of the rest, moving up from 149, though Mitch Finesilver (DUKE), Taleb Rahmani (PITT), Mekhi Lewis (VT, and my top RSFR) will be competing for AA honors, as well as a few others. Andrew Shomers (OKST, by way of EDIN), has been getting some press as the starter with G. Martinez injured, and unfortunately may be done with wrestling, but to me Andrew is in the same group as Mike De’Angelo (PRIN), Gordan Wolf (LEH), and Steve Bleise (MINN), all capable, but darkhorses right now.

Several good to great incoming true freshmen here, though not knowing who might start keeps me from commenting. In the 157 range are Sammy Sasso, Brock Hardy, Brayton Lee, Will Lewan, Jacori Teemer and others.

I really like the top guy at this weight class…’nuff said.

Last edited:
Here it is, enjoy! Five down, five to go...

Another of the four weight classes that only lose one All-American, 157 is the only weight class with the top-7 returning. Jason Nolf (PSU, 1st), Hayden Hidley (NCST, 2nd), Tyler Berger (NEB, 3rd), Michael Kemerer (IOWA, 4th), Alec Pantaleo (MICH, 5th), Micah Jordan (tOSU, 6th), and Josh Shields (AZST, 7th) round out the returnees. Every weight class has a bit of movement, 157 is no different, as it appears Kemerer is taking a somewhat rare two weight class jump, going 174. Then there’s the mild speculation that the Buckeyes will switch Hayes and Jordan, though I’m thinking Micah stays where he is.

There’s also 3 returning R12 guys, Kennedy Monday (UNC), Paul Fox (STAN), and John Van Brill (RUT), so that’s 9 of the top-12 guys back.

Ryan Deakin (NU) is the most notable of the rest, moving up from 149, though Mitch Finesilver (DUKE), Taleb Rahmani (PITT), Mekhi Lewis (VT, and my top RSFR) will be competing for AA honors, as well as a few others. Andrew Shomers (OKST, by way of EDIN), has been getting some press as the starter with G. Martinez injured, and unfortunately may be done with wrestling, but to me Andrew is in the same group as Mike De’Angelo (PRIN), Gordan Wolf (LEH), and Steve Bleise (MINN), all capable, but darkhorses right now.

Several good to great incoming true freshmen here, though not knowing who might start keeps me from commenting. In the 157 range are Sammy Sosa, Brock Hardy, Brayton Lee, Will Lewan, Jacori Teemer and others.

I really like the top guy at this weight class…’nuff said.
Great write-up Roar. Hard to believe it'll be college wrestling season again. One question, what makes you think that Sammy Sosa will be wrestling at 157 this season? Plus, I think he's still suspended for the corked bat incident .

I want to see Nolf’s next match with Pantaleo. The whole team looked lethargic against Michigan that night, but everyone’s taking that close match as some matchup problem for Jason. I have a feeling he’s going to put it on Pants next time.

Great write-up Roar. Hard to believe it'll be college wrestling season again. One question, what makes you think that Sammy Sosa will be wrestling at 157 this season? Plus, I think he's still suspended for the corked bat incident .
I think you have him confused with Sammy Salsa.

I want to see Nolf’s next match with Pantaleo. The whole team looked lethargic against Michigan that night, but everyone’s taking that close match as some matchup problem for Jason. I have a feeling he’s going to put it on Pants next time.

I think Pantaleo is a bit of a matchup problem for Nolf. Not anything that Jason can't handle but I expect Jason to look more conventional and less Matrix in this match and score a solid but unspectacular win. This is one instance I would love to be proven wrong when Jason techs/pins him.

I think he (Nolf) runs roughshod over the whole rest of the field.

I think Pantaleo is a bit of a matchup problem for Nolf. Not anything that Jason can't handle but I expect Jason to look more conventional and less Matrix in this match and score a solid but unspectacular win. This is one instance I would love to be proven wrong when Jason techs/pins him.

Maybe. Pantaleo wins almost always by decision, and has more Bonus Point losses to top-30 type guys than Bonus Point wins against the same group. Almost every BP Win in his career are vs guys ranked 100+. Also is inclined to end up on his back more than one would think for a top guy. Strong as a bull, though I'm thinking at least Majors are strong possibilities when he faces Nolf, which may happen three times this year.

Just to prove a point I bet there is a bit of a different training schedule for Jason the week they wrestle Michigan. The result will be Pantaleo ninjaed through the Nolf matrix.

If Zain teaches Jason the bow and arrow ... Pantaleo shall we say struggles with that.

Nolf with have a 100% bonus rate next year. A man on a mission so to speak to cement his place as maybe the best Lion ever. You heard it here first. He was neck and neck with Zain last year until the injury, but he will work his oponents like this is his legacy.

Tom Ryan didn’t have near enough still shots in his photos to salvage anything about that match. That was like the Ruhr Valley against Curtis Lemay’s bombers
Do you think knowing Zain would be gone, that while watching the "Nolf" feeding on the Micah carcass was the moment it occurred to BoJo that little brother was much too small for 157 next year.

Reactions: diggerpup
I notice there is no mention of David Carr (ISU). He is red shirting this year? Not sure he can challenge Nolf but surely a notable at 157.

I think we all saw shades of Zain Train within Nolf when he simply butchered Micah Jordan from top in Cleveland to win the National semi, 16-0.
Not saying that Jason training with Zain has not improved Jason, I am sure that it has Iron sharpens Iron deal.
But Nolf was an absolute hammer on top coming out of HS

I notice there is no mention of David Carr (ISU). He is red shirting this year? Not sure he can challenge Nolf but surely a notable at 157.
Carr is a 157/165 guy, from what I hear. I chose to include him in the 165 write-up, though he could go 157. Coach Dresser addressed David's chance to wrestle this year as a true freshmen, basically stating a decision would be made after the Southern Scuffle. Coach-speak? Maybe...time will tell.

Reactions: tabenn
Not saying that Jason training with Zain has not improved Jason, I am sure that it has Iron sharpens Iron deal.
But Nolf was an absolute hammer on top coming out of HS
Completely different wrestler today, imo. His state finals results, over four years was 8 decisions, 1 major, 1 tech, and 6 falls (I believe). Jason has upped his game, and made a science out of the sport, perfecting moves no one else uses. Folks can say what they want, nearly everyone expected greatness out of Jason as a HS Senior, but everyone I talk to is at least a little surprised by just what Jason has become. Sure, everyone improves, Jason is just obsessed (in a good way) about it. It's resulted in this unassuming looking young man becoming a mat assassin. He has so many "go to" moves, there is no strategy that works against him.

ENJOY HIS AND Bo's LAST SEASON OF COLLEGE WRESTLING EVERYONE...they are special talents.

Completely different wrestler today, imo. His state finals results, over four years was 8 decisions, 1 major, 1 tech, and 6 falls (I believe). Jason has upped his game, and made a science out of the sport, perfecting moves no one else uses. Folks can say what they want, nearly everyone expected greatness out of Jason as a HS Senior, but everyone I talk to is at least a little surprised by just what Jason has become. Sure, everyone improves, Jason is just obsessed (in a good way) about it. It's resulted in this unassuming looking young man becoming a mat assassin. He has so many "go to" moves, there is no strategy that works against him.

ENJOY HIS AND Bo's LAST SEASON OF COLLEGE WRESTLING EVERYONE...they are special talents.
amen, roar. we've been truly blessed to have watched these kids wrestle for the last 11 years:); and more to come:D.

I must be getting old because it seems like they just got here
Life goes by so quickly, and it does seem to move faster with age. It's one reason I try to thoroughly enjoy the 'tween wrestling season Springs and Summers. Don't want to wish my life away, even for wrestling :).

I hear ya Roar, I've been retired now for 6+ years and it seems like 6 months. Value every day guys!

Reactions: RoarLions1
I think we all saw shades of Zain Train within Nolf when he simply butchered Micah Jordan from top in Cleveland to win the National semi, 16-0.

Agreed. My neck is still sore from watching what Nolf did to Jordan's.

It's resulted in this unassuming looking young man becoming a mat assassin.

Great line, and mental image, Roar. Made me wonder if Nolf will wrestle any poor soul named Matt this year. :)

1) Nolf
2) Hidlay
3) Berger
4) Pantaleo
5) Micah
6) Lewis
7) Deakin
8) Finesilver

I hear ya Roar, I've been retired now for 6+ years and it seems like 6 months. Value every day guys!
Just re-reading...and thinking how close my time (retirement-wise) is :). Wishing life would slow a little.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT