ADVERTISEMENT

WRESTLING TALK - 149

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
Keeping with a one-per-day plan, here's 149!! 157 coming tomorrow. Please join in on some wrestling talk.

Two weight classes see 5 All-Americans from 2018 depart, 149 and 285. At 149, back are Matt Kolodzik (PRIN, 3rd), Grant Leeth (MIZZ, 6th), and Boo Lewallen (OKST, 8th), as well as all four R12 guys, Ke-Shawn Hayes (tOSU), Justin Oliver (NCST, by way of CMU), Jarrett Degen (IAST), and Max Thomsen (UNI). On paper that looks meh to me, a wide-open weight class with a dose of parity.

There are some arrivals that bring talent to the very top of this weight class. Three-time All-American (the first in Rutgers history) Anthony Ashnault, is back after injury, and being granted a rare 6th year (TIC). He made half-an-ounce of news recently, by saying,"Pantaleo you come on down, Micah come join the party, Yianni bump on up. Let's have a party at 149." Ashnault is up a weight class, after a career so far at 141. Patricio Luga (IOWA, by way of EDIN) joins the fray too, after a RS year behind Branden Sorensen.

On the radar too, are; Jared Prince (NAVY), Brock Zachrl (CLAR, up from 141), Alfred Bannister (MD), and Josh Maruca (AZST), among others. RSFR’s Austin O’Conner (UNC), Tanner Smith (CHAT), Brady Berge (PSU), and Jarod Verkleeren (PSU) could all make a serious splash at this weight class as well. Who goes 149 for Penn State is a bit of an unknown. Cael looks for guys to go “win the weight class”, so we’ll see if that happens. It does seem Berge has the way early edge.

I don’t really see any true freshmen on the horizon, though I could be missing someone.

Until someone or some group separates themselves from the pack, this weight class, again, appears at this early stage to be a bit wide-open.

Will be interesting to see how the move up affects Thorn. He was awful down the stretch, bad enough to think something else was going on. When he was right, he was dangerous, just ask McKenna.

The only true freshman who appears likely to even start is Artalona at Penn. Perhaps Gissendanner at Rider, if he doesn't shirt and beats out Fidelibus. Not sure either of them will be podium threats out of the gate.

Gfeller from OK State will be in the mix too. Beat Nick Lee in the Scuffle finals at 141 but expected to go 149 this season. He is a RS Frosh this season.

Gfeller from OK State will be in the mix too. Beat Nick Lee in the Scuffle finals at 141 but expected to go 149 this season. He is a RS Frosh this season.
Time will tell. He'll have to beat out AA RSJR Boo Lewallen, while going up a weight class to do it. That's why I stuck with Gfeller at 141, as a backup to Brock. I guess Lewallen could move up to 157, inserting Gfeller at 149, though Boo was 141 only 2 years ago, and 149 seems to fit him. 157 for him may be a stretch.

Point is, OKST has a good bit of talent, and not all of it can start.

Last edited:
I agree that 149 is lacking the heavy hitters that the first 3 weights have--no one that looks close to Lee, Fix, Gross, Yianni; nor do they seem to have as much depth. The are plenty of talented guys here, but I think the door is open for Berge/Verkleern to make some noise in March.

Keeping with a one-per-day plan, here's 149!! 157 coming tomorrow. Please join in on some wrestling talk.

Two weight classes see 5 All-Americans from 2018 depart, 149 and 285. At 149, back are Matt Kolodzik (PRIN, 3rd), Grant Leeth (MIZZ, 6th), and Boo Lewallen (OKST, 8th), as well as all four R12 guys, Ke-Shawn Hayes (tOSU), Justin Oliver (NCST, by way of CMU), Jarrett Degen (IAST), and Max Thomsen (UNI). On paper that looks meh to me, a wide-open weight class with a dose of parity.

There are some arrivals that bring talent to the very top of this weight class. Three-time All-American (the first in Rutgers history) Anthony Ashnault, is back after injury, and being granted a rare 6th year (TIC). He made half-an-ounce of news recently, by saying,"Pantaleo you come on down, Micah come join the party, Yianni bump on up. Let's have a party at 149." Ashnault is up a weight class, after a career so far at 141. Patricio Luga (IOWA, by way of EDIN) joins the fray too, after a RS year behind Branden Sorensen.

On the radar too, are; Jared Prince (NAVY), Brock Zachrl (CLAR, up from 141), Alfred Bannister (MD), and Josh Maruca (AZST), among others. RSFR’s Austin O’Conner (UNC), Tanner Smith (CHAT), Brady Berge (PSU), and Jarod Verkleeren (PSU) could all make a serious splash at this weight class as well. Who goes 149 for Penn State is a bit of an unknown. Cael looks for guys to go “win the weight class”, so we’ll see if that happens. It does seem Berge has the way early edge.

I don’t really see any true freshmen on the horizon, though I could be missing someone.

Until someone or some group separates themselves from the pack, this weight class, again, appears at this early stage to be a bit wide-open.

I would enjoy watching an Ashnault/Pantaleo & Ashnault/Jordan matchup....but I just can’t see Pantaleo dropping! He looked huge for 157. Jordan also looked very lean at 157! Not saying it can’t happen.

Roar, Thorn is an AA at 141. Odd that you didn't even mention him when all the other weight class previews have included every AA.

Roar, Thorn is an AA at 141. Odd that you didn't even mention him when all the other weight class previews have included every AA.
You just did, so thanks for that. I'm focusing on 2018 results, and returning guys. Didn't mention Jack Mueller or Paul Fox either as past AA's prior to 2018 (both 2017). Not that it hurts to mention, but that's the intent of my posts, to get others engaged in the topics and post facts or opinions I didn't. Again thanks...

Time will tell. He'll have to beat out AA RSJR Boo Lewallen, while going up a weight class to do it. That's why I stuck with Gfeller at 141, as a backup to Brock. I guess Lewallen could move up to 157, inserting Gfeller at 149, though Boo was 141 only 2 years ago, and 149 seems to fit him. 157 for him may be a stretch.

Point is, OKST has a good bit of talent, and not all of it can start.

I'm anxious to hear anyone's opinion who the odd man out will be between Fix, Picc, Brock, Gfeller and Boo between 25 and 49. Sounds like an AA quality wrestler doesn't make the lineup.

I agree that 149 is lacking the heavy hitters that the first 3 weights have--no one that looks close to Lee, Fix, Gross, Yianni; nor do they seem to have as much depth. The are plenty of talented guys here, but I think the door is open for Berge/Verkleern to make some noise in March.
Most folks are putting Ashnault as the guy to beat at 149-- I have my doubts--he is a talent, but returning after major surgery always leaves doubts in my mind.

I believe that Berge will make some noise in March.
I like the thought of Verk at 141 and give N.Lee a RS. But only if Verk can make the cut and stay strong for 7 min. but im thinking this is simply rumor.
I dont see Verk making and keeping 141, I dont think he has wrestled that low since his sophomore year in HS.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Most folks are putting Ashnault as the guy to beat at 149-- I have my doubts--he is a talent, but returning after major surgery always leaves doubts in my mind.

I believe that Berge will make some noise in March.
I like the thought of Verk at 141 and give N.Lee a RS. But only if Verk can make the cut and stay strong for 7 min. but im thinking this is simply rumor.
I dont see Verk making and keeping 141, I dont think he has wrestled that low since his sophomore year in HS.
At this point, I'd call either Kolodzik or Lewallen as the favorites. Lewallen simply because I've never seen anyone completely take apart Thomsen like he did last year.

You just did, so thanks for that. I'm focusing on 2018 results, and returning guys. Didn't mention Jack Mueller or Paul Fox either as past AA's prior to 2018 (both 2017). Not that it hurts to mention, but that's the intent of my posts, to get others engaged in the topics and post facts or opinions I didn't. Again thanks...
I just didnt want you to feel silly when Thorn AA's again and you failed to even mention him in your preview of possible candidates.

I'm anxious to hear anyone's opinion who the odd man out will be between Fix, Picc, Brock, Gfeller and Boo between 25 and 49. Sounds like an AA quality wrestler doesn't make the lineup.
125 Fix
133 Brock
141 Gfeller
149 Boo

Is Ashnault trying to be this season's Richie Lewis?

He hasn't made the finals in three tries at 141, has had a major shoulder surgery from which a lot of guys have not come back and is moving up a weight class. Color me skeptical.

Reactions: tabenn
I'm appalled fellahs. Um, Zain Retherford? He'll slice through the field like a lightsaber through butter.

(Did you know that Egypt is having a similarly wet summer? Yup, De'Nile is uncommonly strong this year :()

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT