ADVERTISEMENT

WRESTLING TALK - 141

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
Gosh, this is FUN. 141 has a bit more intrigue than the first two weight classes. With Meredith, Jack, and Heil gone, as well as two R12 guys, my initial thought was a weaker weight class. Au Contraire!! In truth, it’s not that bad. 141 returns 6 AA’s, Yianni Diakomihalis (CORN, 1st), Joey McKenna (tOSU, 3rd), Jaydin Eierman (MIZZ, 4th), Nick Lee (PSU, 5th), Chad Red (NEB, 7th), and Sa’Derian Perry (OD, by way of EMU, 8th). Add the two guys moving up from 133, Kaid Brock (OSU, 4th at 133), and Mitch McKee (MINN, R12 at 133), and it’s a solid eight to start a discussion. Yianni is MIA as he recoups from surgery (I hate injuries), though he should be there at the end. After all, he won it all with a bum knee that we didn’t know about until after the fact. Heck, Cenzo still doesn’t know that Yianni is a wrestler :)!!

Mike Carr (ILL) is the only R12 guy from 2018 that’s still around, with Brock Zachrl (CLAR) supposedly adding weight to go 149. I looked beyond that, and found plenty of talent that could make their way into AA territory with a good run. There’s Mason Smith (ARST, by way of CMU), Josh Alber (UNI), Luke Karem (LEH), and Bryan Lantry (BUFF) to name a few. A couple RS’s return too, including Yahya Thomas (NU), and Max Murin (IOWA), along with Kaden Gfeller (OSU), though Kaden has to beat out a Kaid Brock/Boo Lewallen caliber kid to start for the Cowboys. Who goes among TRFR is an unknown, Joey Silva (MICH) is the real deal, but likely headed to RS.

Some forum opinions (very few, actually) have Lee (PSU) taking a RS. Don’t see that myself. The top-3 at 141 (Diakomihalis, McKenna, and Eierman) are as solid as any top-3 at any weight class. With a year under his belt, Nick will be competitive with everyone (mo), including those three, though on paper I believe he’s a tenth-notch below. Anything can happen at tournament time though!!

Last edited:
Some thoughts
  • Surprised to see David Carr mentioned at 141. Thought he projected as a 157/165 lber.
  • Kanen Storr probably starts for Michigan this year with Silva RSing
  • Tristan Moran should start at 141 for Wisc. He had some decent wins as back-up at OkSt

Reactions: tikk10
I just watched a Tom Ryan interview on flo--did not say it was a done deal--just a possibility of some RS and Mckenna 149--Hays 141 Jordon 157--again not in stone

It will depend on the hand dealt him.
In all seriousness I doubt McKenna moves to 149. If he did you have a 3 headed 49 pounder, McKenna, Jordan and Hayes. Winner wrestles 149, runner-up is fed to the "Nolf" and the 3rd guy watches.
How to beat last year's 2-man Avoid Zain Wrestle-off? Hold a 3-man Avoid Jason Wrestle-off.

Would be comedy gold but I'm skeptical.

Reactions: pawrest01
I just watched a Tom Ryan interview on flo--did not say it was a done deal--just a possibility of some RS and Mckenna 149--Hays 141 Jordon 157--again not in stone
Based on previous info from the insider on the OhioWrestling board, I expect to see Jordan at 149 in 2018/19. Apparently the tOSU staff think 149 is the best weight for him. Of course, this move also gets Jordan away from Nolf at 157 and into a Rutherford-less weight class at 149. It's not yet carved in stone, and things can always change, but this insider is very well connected to the tOSU program and his intel is nearly always on the money.

Reactions: vhsalum and tikk10
Based on previous info from the insider on the OhioWrestling board, I expect to see Jordan at 149 in 2018/19. Apparently the tOSU staff think 149 is the best weight for him. Of course, this move also gets Jordan away from Nolf at 157 and into a Rutherford-less weight class at 149. It's not yet carved in stone, and things can always change, but this insider is very well connected to the tOSU program and his intel is nearly always on the money.

Does that put Hayes at 157 or on the bench?

talked to Nate Carr JR the other day at LHU--he stated that David will not RS this year and he will go at 157--I wants a shot at Nolf

He should be careful of what he wishes for. Unless he just wants to measure the gap between the two.

talked to Nate Carr JR the other day at LHU--he stated that David will not RS this year and he will go at 157--I wants a shot at Nolf
Reminds me of the joke about the two young bulls surveying the herd of cows and the huge old bull in the pasture below them. The first one says " I'm going down there and kick his butt". The second one says " That's crazy, he'll kill you" The first one replied " yeah, but I want to make sure he knows I'm a bull"...

Reactions: tabenn
One aspect I love about our sport. Most can't relax, as there's someone behind you pushing for the starting position.
Exactly, and even though Alber and Schwab thought that the best thing that Alber did was to bump up to 141 so that he could focus on wrestling instead of cutting weight, I didn't find him nearly as effective at 141 as he was at 133. He belongs at 133.

Reactions: tabenn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT