ADVERTISEMENT

WRESTLING TALK - 133 Still Early

I agree with you.But that's not what the staff is thinking ultimately it will be up to Vito.
After reading everything, this makes the most sense. He's too talented to keep out of the line-up, and it makes for a better team to go 125. Cutting can't be a half-butted thing though, or it doesn't go well, and even done right (nutrition, eating habits, sleep habits, study habits...need 100% commitment) it doesn't always work out. We have a guy being challenged as well...

The Open Mat delivers a (Jack) Mueller Report, noting that he's going to take a redshirt this year to focus on the U23s in November, where he's our 57kg guy. I imagine he probably could've done both but the weight difference would be a hurdle, going back up to 133 a month into the season after wrestling FS at 125.

The Open Mat delivers a (Jack) Mueller Report, noting that he's going to take a redshirt this year to focus on the U23s in November, where he's our 57kg guy. I imagine he probably could've done both but the weight difference would be a hurdle, going back up to 133 a month into the season after wrestling FS at 125.
I'm looking forward to seeing Brian Courtney start.

Folks on 34 and counting seem to believe Fix is going to 33.

If so, the OSU 11-17 dual at SDSU will be really interesting, as will OSUs 1-13 dual at Rutgers.

We could also see Suriano-Micic square off at the 2-17 Michigan dual at Rutgers.

Folks on 34 and counting seem to believe Fix is going to 33.

If so, the OSU 11-17 dual at SDSU will be really interesting, as will OSUs 1-13 dual at Rutgers.

We could also see Suriano-Micic square off at the 2-17 Michigan dual at Rutgers.

I have Fix and Micic over Suriano. I think both will be very hard for Suriano to score against on their feet and Suriano doesn't have enough mat skills to counteract that.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
I think Fix wins but if you're saying they wrestle 10 times and he wins each one, then I disagree.
Yeah--I mean, they wrestled for a freakin' half an hour once at WNO. Fix seems to have more offense, and upside, but NS, in spite of our desires to the contrary, is a brute.

Reactions: danoftw
Lee was never in any trouble against him and I dont imagine Fix will either.
NS was laid up in a hospital and hadn't wrestled for a month leading into the Bigs. Id suggest he was well below par but still got to the finals..

Lee certainly looked near unbeatable in the NCAAs but the jury is still out on NS in that regard. Until hes beaten relatively healthy

Ditto. I understand we PSU fans are not happy with what NS did, but he is still a pretty good wrestler.
Near great wrestler. I don't see him beating Gross or Micic. Haven't seen enough of Fix, but based on results, that's a tossup at best.

NS was laid up in a hospital and hadn't wrestled for a month leading into the Bigs. Id suggest he was well below par but still got to the finals..

Lee certainly looked near unbeatable in the NCAAs but the jury is still out on NS in that regard. Until hes beaten relatively healthy

Suggestion noted. If indeed NS is jumping weights, I guess we may never see another matchup.

A good recent comparison of Lee and Fix....
Fix TF Nato at U23 WTT
Lee pinned him in NAT semi’s

I wouldnt be suprised one bit if Fix wins 133.

Yeah--I mean, they wrestled for a freakin' half an hour once at WNO. Fix seems to have more offense, and upside, but NS, in spite of our desires to the contrary, is a brute.

Was that 4 or 5 years ago? Saying Suriano will lose to Fix isn't exactly saying Suriano is awful.

Was that 4 or 5 years ago? Saying Suriano will lose to Fix isn't exactly saying Suriano is awful.
Sure. I’d probably pick Fix too, but with some apprehension. It seems unlikely to me that Fix has jumped more levels than Nick since their match. I’d more confidently wager on a close match than an individual victor.

Reactions: JohnnyHandsome

Against Spencer, Nick had nothing. They could have wrestled 30 minutes non stop and Nick was never going to offensively challenge Spencer. The jury deliberated and came back with a verdict. Diminishing the verdict with rationalizations does not change anything. Especially in a year when Jason Nolf wrestled on one leg and dominated.

Reactions: PSUbluTX
Suriano always had sensational defense.
IIRC (always need that qualifier any more) I remember watching him split a couple of matches vs Lee and same vs Pletcher in high school days.
All matches were extremely close with someone scoring at very end to win.
In Suriano's wins, he usually scored on counter off opponents shot.
The other guy always seemed more offensive-minded than he.
I thought the whole advantage of him being tutored by Cael and staff was to open up and improve his offensive skill set.
And in his FR year you could see him gain confidence in his offense match by match.
Will he improve or regress on offense at Rutgers...who knows.
But Dake was a lot like that until his SR year; basic offense and extremely difficult to score on.
I dont think you can count Suriano out in any match.
But will he improve or stand still while Lee, Fix and others improve.

Reactions: JohnnyHandsome
Against Spencer, Nick had nothing. They could have wrestled 30 minutes non stop and Nick was never going to offensively challenge Spencer. The jury deliberated and came back with a verdict. Diminishing the verdict with rationalizations does not change anything. Especially in a year when Jason Nolf wrestled on one leg and dominated.
I guess u didn’t c the interview with NS on flo or ppl just choose to ignore that he was in the friggen hospital and willed his way to the finals... NS ain’t dodging anyone.. he already issued the challenge that lee could bump up to face him when Iowa vs RU.

Nice straw man argument as that is NOT what Custerdome said. He said no way NS would beat Fix.
Some salty fans here still man... how ppl could say fix would def beat NS just shows they still feeling some type of way.. this matchup is a tossup at best with edge to NS i’d Say for college experience

I guess u didn’t c the interview with NS on flo or ppl just choose to ignore that he was in the friggen hospital and willed his way to the finals... NS ain’t dodging anyone.. he already issued the challenge that lee could bump up to face him when Iowa vs RU.
Not familiar that NS made such a challenge - where did you learn of this? Doesnt seem his style to issue a challenge to SL. That would be cheesy in my book

Was it more along the lines of Nick thinking out loud that if SL bumped, theyd wrestle each other in the dual?.

"Challenge."

Scare quotes because he knew it won't happen.

If Suriano wants to challenge Lee, he can go 57 kg at 2019 World Team Trials or 2020 Olympic Trials. (Not holding my breath on that either.)

Not familiar that NS made such a challenge - where did you learn of this? Doesnt seem his style to issue a challenge to SL. That would be cheesy in my book

Was it more along the lines of Nick thinking out loud that if SL bumped, theyd wrestle each other in the dual?.

Here
Also, Challenging someone below your weight class is somewhat problematic...

Here
Thanks for the link. Sounds to me NS is making clear hes not afraid of wrestling anyone. He wasnt challenging SL in the sense that he wants to wrestle him cause he thinks he'd win. It's more that he's not running from anyone.

That said, I can sure understand someone reading that and getting a different impression

Reactions: KidDagger
Usually when the guy that lost issues a challenge it's something like, "i'm coming for you....", not," I may be moving away from you,but you can come after me..."He's a great wrestler,wish he stayed at PSU but the flo willed his way to finals and all the tough breaks he's overcome is wrestling, not just suriano's wrestling, but everyone's wrestling . Guys have won titles and never got to the finals again.guys have AA'd that shouldn't have been wrestling etc, but he's the toughest, overcoming every obstacle,willing his way,blah,blah. They should make a movie about him,he's a hero, larger than life. .

Last edited:
Usually when the guy that lost issues a challenge it's something like, "i'm coming for you....", not," I may be moving away from you,but you can come after me..."He's a great wrestler,wish he stayed at PSU but the flo willed his way to finals and all the tough breaks he's overcome is wrestling, not just suriano's wrestling, but everyone's wrestling . Guys have won titles and never got to the finals again.guys have AA'd that shouldn't have been wrestling etc, but he's the toughest, overcoming every obstacle,willing his way,blah,blah. They should make a movie about him,he's a hero, larger than life. I'm sure starving children and people suffering from disease would be inspired by him.
He made it clear if he moves up in weight it has nothing to do wit anyone except his decision... not dodging anyone.. makes it to the ncaa finals right after being hospital bed ridden... guy has the mentality and heart of a warrior

He made it clear if he moves up in weight it has nothing to do wit anyone except his decision... not dodging anyone.. makes it to the ncaa finals right after being hospital bed ridden... guy has the mentality and heart of a warrior
I already said he's a hero. Only thing better than facing adversity and almost getting it done is facing adversity and getting it done. or as they call it in Pennsylvania- Nolfing It!

Suriano *says* a lot of things. And Flo and NJ.com give him many opportunities to talk. Myself, I like to see action from wrestlers, not so much talk.

I already said he's a hero. Only thing better than facing adversity and almost getting it done is facing adversity and getting it done. or as they call it in Pennsylvania- Nolfing It!
:D You've been on fire lately, Dan! Well played, sir.

BTW, it's worth noting that those who "Nolf it" generally don't acknowledge, let alone draw attention to their adversity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ja1339 and danoftw
Suggestion noted. If indeed NS is jumping weights, I guess we may never see another matchup.

A good recent comparison of Lee and Fix....
Fix TF Nato at U23 WTT
Lee pinned him in NAT semi’s

I wouldnt be suprised one bit if Fix wins 133.
Fix didn’t tech Nato.

Suriano *says* a lot of things. And Flo and NJ.com give him many opportunities to talk. Myself, I like to see action from wrestlers, not so much talk.
Action is making the finals when he was clearly not at 100%.. excited to c what a healthy NS can do this season.

Here

OK, I can get a little Jersey from my philly area perch:

I challenge any other ex .500 HS wrestler, 57 or over, cigar smoker who is at least 40 pounds lighter than me (185) to come up and take a shot ...

Let's see what you got

I think Gross will repeat again at this weight. 133 is a solid weight class this year and NS adds another very tough guy to an already loaded weight. RBY is coming into one heck of a weight class as a true freshman and any AA place in this weight would be quite the accomplishment. I see NS as anywhere from 2-5 and Fix also right there.

I never said he was dodging anybody. If you are going to wear indignation you need to color coordinate the statement with suit of indignant.

As far as challenging Spencer to come up a weight (133) while maintaining his lower competitive (125) weight to compete was a very generous offer.

Thanks. Need this season to start.You in Texas now? I was born in Fort Worth. Pop was stationed at Carswell AFB.
Yessir. Not far from Bo’s HS. Total bonus points for me to have a “hometown” kid at the wrestling dynasty where I was born. I’m surprised that we don’t have more elite wrestlers coming out of the great state of Texas.

ADVERTISEMENT