ADVERTISEMENT

WRESTLING TALK - 133 Still Early

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
Continuing the wrestling talk, with the review below after yesterday's 125 review. Again, feel free to jump in with additional facts, insights, and comments. 62 days till the first countable practice, 84 days will the first allowable competition.

Four weight classes graduate only one All-American, with 133 among them. Only Scott Delvecchio departs, leaving Seth Gross (SDST, 1st), Steven Micic (MICH, 2nd), Tariq Wilson (NCST, 3rd), Luke Pletcher (tOSU, 4th), Kaid Brock (OKST, 5th), Scott Parker (LEH, 7th), and Montorie Bridges (WYO, 8th), as returning AA’s. That’s impressive enough, but isn’t the whole story. As mentioned in the 125 write-up, two 125’s are moving up, in Nick Suriano (2nd @ 125) and Ethan Lizak (4th @ 125). And while 5th Place Kaid Brock from Oklahoma State is back, it won’t be at 133, as either Piccinnini will move up, or Daton Fix will be inserted. Neither will weaken this weight class, though Fix strengthens it if he ends up here (I’m guessing he does), and is plenty good enough as a freshman to make the finals. Still, there’s even more that makes this weight class arguably the best, top-to-bottom, as all four of the R12 guys are back, Jack Mueller (UVA), John Erneste (MIZZ), Austin DeSanto (Iowa, by way of DREX), and Mitch McKee (MINN, but moving to 141 to make room for Lizak). So, here’s a review;
-- Six (6) of eight (8) All-American’s return, plus 125 AA’s Suriano and Lizak arrive, meaning there are eight (8) AA’s at 133
-- Daton Fix arrives as a NC contender as a freshman
-- Three R12 guys return

Wow!! Let’s mention a few of the others that will battle at this weight class during the season, all capable of making noise; Vito Arajua (CORN, if he goes), Austin Gomez (IAST), Josh Terao (AMER), Sean Fausz (NCST, up from 125), and Cam Kelly (OHIO), among others. Incoming freshmen starters that may also make noise are few that I can see, but Penn State’s Roman Bravo-Young (or RBY, if you prefer) is among them, and Real Woods (STAN) is also a solid talent, though should be RS’ing.

All told, 133 will be the toughest weight class of all, one man’s opinion. Whomever AA’s here will have earned it, as the early look shows that the entire bracket should be stacked come tournament time.

NOTE: Missed this the first time through...AA Tariq Wilson is being pinched in the NCST line-up. Sean Fausz' likely move from 125 to 133, plus the presence of Jamel Morris at 141 leave the Wolfpacker in a pickle. His RS is burned, so it'll be best man up. I have no insight into the situation beyond that. Tariq's story was near the top of my list when he arrived from nowhere to place 3rd in March, doing so with wrestling flair. Sure was fun to follow him through the tourney.

Last edited:
Great review RL1. Wait to you get to 149. I did a quick rundown on the "2019 Potential AA's" thread. Another meat grinder weight.

Thanks Roar, these thorough reviews are much appreciated.

With Fix, Suriano, Gross, and Micic you have four solid NC contenders. Pletcher has to jump a level to break into that tier, and Wilson has to show that he didn't just have one great tournament. He pushed Gross to OT before getting pinned in the semis, and it really was that close. But earlier in the year he'd gotten tech'd by Kaid Brock, majored by Dom Forys, and even lost twice to his own redshirting teammate Jamel Morris. Ability is clearly there though, he didn't get a lucky, beating Montoya, Brock, and Pletcher to take 3rd.

To revisit yesterday's conversation, I think Fix goes 125 and Picc goes 133 since Picc last went the heavier weight than Fix in FS. But I think it's probably better for OSU if Fix goes 133 because I'd give Fix a slightly better chance of taking a NC at 133 (even with Gross and Suriano there) than at 125 over Lee (although I think he can beat Lee as well); and more importantly for OSU, Picc would fare better at the less-congested 125, so long as the cut isn't killing him (though John Smith probably thinks that what actually kills you makes you stronger).

Arujau has to go, doesn't he? He used a gray shirt last year. Any chance Yianni goes 149 and Arujau bumps to 141?
I've seen talk in many places that Yanni is going up to 149. Vito greyshirted at 133 last year but Cornell has a returning NCAA qualifier at 133 so makes sense to have either him or Vito go 141 and move Yanni up.

If you have a returning national champ at a weight, even one as amazing as Yanni, you don't bump him up if he can make his weight comfortably. Chaz Tucker is a solid wrestler, but not an AA threat this year in a loaded 133. Messing with your NC to get him in the lineup is usually a bad idea.

Now can Yanni win 149? Absolutely and would be the favorite, but if he's a natural 141 pounder you keep him there and let the other guys figure it out.

If you have a returning national champ at a weight, even one as amazing as Yanni, you don't bump him up if he can make his weight comfortably. Chaz Tucker is a solid wrestler, but not an AA threat this year in a loaded 133. Messing with your NC to get him in the lineup is usually a bad idea.

Now can Yanni win 149? Absolutely and would be the favorite, but if he's a natural 141 pounder you keep him there and let the other guys figure it out.

The coaches want Arajau to make 125 (he can). The problem is if Arajau wants to. Apparently has PTSD from his older brother's career. Apparently Nicky hated the cut to 133 (missed weight a few times, as well). But he's also the best 133 on the roster.

Yianni is not going 149. He's a disciplined kid and is eyeing 65kg as his FS weight.

I have also heard rumblings of Vito to 125 to make the lineup tougher since Tucker can't make 125.Yianni will be 141 remember Will Koll is a 149 and a Senior

The coaches want Arajau to make 125 (he can). The problem is if Arajau wants to. Apparently has PTSD from his older brother's career. Apparently Nicky hated the cut to 133 (missed weight a few times, as well). But he's also the best 133 on the roster.

Yianni is not going 149. He's a disciplined kid and is eyeing 65kg as his FS weight.
Zain is also disciplined and is eyeing 65kg and spent 3 years at 149. Would not surprise many if he wrestled at 149. Bo is rumored to be going to 197 bc of his aspirations at 86kg (189lb) so wrestling 8-10 lbs over your fs weight is not uncommon.

Last edited:
Reactions: royboy
Perhaps Fix goes 25 this year, then 33 the following year. That.could result in the Rutgers Male athlete of the Year running into Gross this year, then Fix next year, resulting in 0 titles for the lad. Poor dude can't catch a break.

I have also heard rumblings of Vito to 125 to make the lineup tougher since Tucker can't make 125.Yianni will be 141 remember Will Koll is a 149 and a Senior

Vito can make 125? That seems outlandish. Is Cornell turning into the Eastern version of the Cowboys?

Perhaps Fix goes 25 this year, then 33 the following year. That.could result in the Rutgers Male athlete of the Year running into Gross this year, then Fix next year, resulting in 0 titles for the lad. Poor dude can't catch a break.
Suriano will have offensive struggles against other elite wrestlers so he will struggle to score against more than Gross at 133. However, he is physically very strong and his defensive skills are as elite as anyone's. At 133 I believe Suriano can win this weight, but his lack of offense could bite him more once. So he is as likely to finish 4th or worse as he is to win.

Reactions: tikk10
Suriano will have offensive struggles against other elite wrestlers so he will struggle to score against more than Gross at 133. However, he is physically very strong and his defensive skills are as elite as anyone's. At 133 I believe Suriano can win this weight, but his lack of offense could bite him more once. So he is as likely to finish 4th or worse as he is to win.
Having seen him out-scramble Daton Fix a few years ago in that half-hour match, I always thought he should take more risks because he has the skills to bail himself out, and it would open his game up. But he's risk-averse to the point where he's probably limiting how far he can go in the sport. If the eventual goal is MMA I imagine he's on the right track, though.

Reactions: nitlion6

He still has Great Abs

Reactions: lookleft goright
Does anyone know how Yianni's knee surgery rehab is progressing?

Seems like a whole lot of assuming he's definitely wrestling this year, but not much more than assuming.

If it's not progressing sufficiently (not just for athletics, but also for Ivy League enrollment considerations), Koll could stick him at FLWC and free up 141 for Arujau or Tucker or someone else.

Having seen him out-scramble Daton Fix a few years ago in that half-hour match, I always thought he should take more risks because he has the skills to bail himself out, and it would open his game up. But he's risk-averse to the point where he's probably limiting how far he can go in the sport. If the eventual goal is MMA I imagine he's on the right track, though.

Will 4th place allow him to repeat athlete of the Year award?

1- Suriano
2- Fix
3- Micic
4- Arujau
5- Gross
6- Lizak
7- Pletcher
8- Bridges

R12- Parker
R12- Mueller
R12- Desanto
R12- RBY

I am very excited to see what RBY can do if he's manning this spot for PSU. He seems to have a very, very high ceiling. I could see his season progressing along the lines of Nico's freshman campaign. He'll take some losses early but I'm thinking he'll reverse some by BIG'S and Nationals. Im not calling for a second place finish, but I think he'll be in the mix for an AA season.

Zain is also disciplined and is eyeing 65kg and spent 3 years at 149. Would not surprise many if he wrestled at 149. Bo is rumored to be going to 197 bc of his aspirations at 86kg (189lb) so wrestling 8-10 lbs over your fs weight is not uncommon.

It's not uncommon, but Yianni loves 141. Especially for the time being. I'm not sure people understand just how disciplined he is. All the rumors about Zain and how he lives his life? It's the same for Yianni. Social, Diet, etc. He obviously weighs more than 149 out of season, but he's a 141 and hasn't outgrown the weight.

Vito can make 125? That seems outlandish. Is Cornell turning into the Eastern version of the Cowboys?

http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/Po...twSessionId=zfydjglmpsbpxmp&videoId=719045132

From the interview linked: "We gotta get Chaz Tucker in the lineup." Koll WANTS Vito at 125. He's the better guy so it will ultimately be up to him.

Does anyone know how Yianni's knee surgery rehab is progressing?

Seems like a whole lot of assuming he's definitely wrestling this year, but not much more than assuming.

If it's not progressing sufficiently (not just for athletics, but also for Ivy League enrollment considerations), Koll could stick him at FLWC and free up 141 for Arujau or Tucker or someone else.

Also listen to the interview above. He could wrestle live right now, but they are taking it slow. It's possible he doesn't wrestle until after Vegas.

Also listen to the interview above. He could wrestle live right now, but they are taking it slow. It's possible he doesn't wrestle until after Vegas.
Fair enough, and that's good info.

Though I will always have some skepticism until Koll furm commits to a competition date. He would hardly be the first coach to say some version of "he could go now" or "we are targeting (date or event)." For example, Cruiseliner Nick's ankle and Hunter Stieber's elbows.

Fair enough, and that's good info.

Though I will always have some skepticism until Koll furm commits to a competition date. He would hardly be the first coach to say some version of "he could go now" or "we are targeting (date or event)." For example, Cruiseliner Nick's ankle and Hunter Stieber's elbows.
They did throw Hunter's elbows out onto the mat against Illinois that year. Ugly and scary are the 2 most accurate adjectives available to describe it.
Not faulting anybody, sometimes you have to give the kid a go so he can see for himself.

Will Koll is a 149 and a Senior

And the coach's son... Not that Koll would do anything harmful/bad, but you have to think he'll be as persuasive a possible to keep Yanni at 141 regardless of the other factors. Helps that it's the right call too

Well, NS has had some bad breaks health wise heading into the NCAAs his first couple years. But outside of a 1point loss to Gilman his freshman year, Ive yet to see anyone beat him at full strength

Im hoping he goes 125 and rematches Lee... Not saying he would win, but its a match deserving for both wrestling at 100%. For me, NS, Lee & Fix are a level above the rest at 125/133

Well, NS has had some bad breaks health wise heading into the NCAAs his first couple years. But outside of a 1point loss to Gilman his freshman year, Ive yet to see anyone beat him at full strength

Im hoping he goes 125 and rematches Lee... Not saying he would win, but its a match deserving for both wrestling at 100%. For me, NS, Lee & Fix are a level above the rest at 125/133

And last year, even with his injury, he appearantly was at a level above all the other Male athletes at Rutgers ;)

Who really cares either way but apparently he was. Is that upsetting to you?

C'mon man, just having some fun. I'd love to see Fix, NS, and Lee all square off at 125 too. And I'd agree they'd be the cream of the weight class - without question.

But you have to see the humor in getting a second place finish and getting male athlete of the Year, right? From where I sit that's good for a chuckle :)

Reactions: JohnnyHandsome
C'mon man, just having some fun. I'd love to see Fix, NS, and Lee all square off at 125 too. And I'd agree they'd be the cream of the weight class - without question.

But you have to see the humor in getting a second place finish and getting male athlete of the Year, right? From where I sit that's good for a chuckle :)
I cant agree unless you point out who was more deserving. Remember, Rutgers is not PSU - not too many national champions from this school in any top sport.

For some perspective, Suriano placed higher (2nd) than any wrestler in Rutgers history. At PSU, you start at 3x champs and filter through those first

Reactions: Ja1339
I cant agree unless you point out who was more deserving. Remember, Rutgers is not PSU - not too many national champions from this school in any top sport.

For some perspective, Suriano placed higher (2nd) than any wrestler in Rutgers history. At PSU, you start at 3x champs and filter through those first
RU figured better give him some award so he and dad do not get butt hurt and seek a transfer.

Sometimes reinforcing the joke makes it funnier.

Reactions: nitlion6

Considering the weight cutting issues his brother had, Vito to 125 seems like a really bad idea.

That's what Koll and the staff want Vito can make it but it's gonna be up to him.Last year Baughman started at 133 and ended up cutting to 125 .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT