ADVERTISEMENT

WRESTLING TALK - 125 Early

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
Hoping for a bit more wrestling talk here…

Other threads started to discuss possible team’s line-ups, I’ll focus on an early look by weight class…one weight class at a time.

This isn’t intended to be totally correct, so jump in with corrections/comments/thoughts, particularly those that move the discussion forward :).

This weight class loses 2 AA’s from the 2018 Championships due to eligibility, the 3rd, and 5th Place finishers, and the tea leaves suggest a third and fourth departure (#2 Nick Suriano, RUT and #4 Ethan Lizak, MINN), as they likely go 133. Back are Spencer Lee (Iowa, 1st), Sebastian Rivera (NU, 6th), Ronnie Bresser (ORST, 7th), and Zeke Moisey (formerly WVU, now Nebraska, 8th), as well as R12 guys Louie Hayes (VT), Taylor Lamont (UVU), and Nick Piccinnini (OKST). Bresser and Moisey are back for seemingly their 10th years, and “Picc” may go 133. Time will tell on that one, as conventional wisdom has him staying, with Daton Fix going 133 for the Cowboys, as thinking is, it’s better for the team.

So that’s 7 guys already, before discussing others. Sean Russell (Minn, by way of Edinboro) will be in the mix to medal, as he likely replaces Lizak at 125 for the Golden Gophers. There are others “in the mix” too, with Ryan Millhof (Ariz St), Connor Schram (Lehigh, by way of Stanford), Shakur Laney (Ohio), and Drew Mattin (Mich), to mention several.

Then there’s the McGee’s, Akins’, Piotrowski’s, Assad’s, and Foley’s of the world, and others, all capable of a post-season run that lands them top-8. 125 is not absent of talent.

I'd love to see Lee vs Fix, just don't think it's in the cards. And while anything can happen on the mat, an early look suggests Lee could be one of the heaviest weight class favorites. True, Bresser beat Lee last year, with his defensive style that got a close match to the 3rd, where he won with a late takedown...I just don't see a repeat as Lee trusts his previously injured knee more and more. For the record, as a college wrestling fan, Spencer Lee is fun to watch.

Whomever goes for PSU has an uphill climb to place at Nationals. Nothing would surprise me though after a full year in our room…time will tell.

Besides Lee, I can see Teasdale beating any of the rest (assuming Fix, Nick go up) if he could keep his weight managed. He can also lose to the rest but he not outclassed by any other than Lee.

Admittely, I've only seen Teske wrestle once, so I don't have any gauge on him

Should be interesting. Teasdales stock has fallen some this year because of a couple losses, but give me a guy that can get to legs and I'll take him.

Interesting regarding Fix, the Conventional Wisdom seemed to be him going 133, but recently it seemed to swing to 125 due to IOC weights, now is it swinging back? Or is this all just me missing things...

A few add'l thoughts
  • Michigan may redshirt Mattin and have Assad wrestle (if he can stay healthy)
  • Ohio State may pull Heiselman's shirt at some point, if he seems capable. I assume he is the best 125lber they have.
  • Patrick Glory will probably be at 125 for Princeton as true frosh
  • Millhof has to win a wrestle-off with Courtney who looked good at Jr WTT but got taken apart by Fix.

The closer we get to the season, the more it looks like Ryan will go all in.

As such I expect Heiselman to be in the lineup, sooner than later. If his freestyle success translates to folk we can throw his name in with 'others' not named Lee..

As others have said, there will surely be freshmen that impact all weight classes. Didn't include any in the write-up above, but I will for the rest of my musings. Most of the true freshmen, I would guess, will redshirt...though not all. Some of those at 125 include; Heinselman, Aguilar, Glory, Teasdale, McKee. If they're behind a known starter, count on a redshirt. If they perform, and become "best available" for a program...we could see them.

Sean Russell (Minn, by way of Edinboro) will be in the mix to medal, as he likely replaces Lizak at 125 for the Golden Gophers.
Everyone has Russell penciled in, but 5th year seniors Petry and Polakowski (wins over Assad and Moisey) won't go quietly and will see their share of starts.

A few add'l thoughts
  • Michigan may redshirt Mattin and have Assad wrestle (if he can stay healthy)
  • Ohio State may pull Heiselman's shirt at some point, if he seems capable. I assume he is the best 125lber they have.
  • Patrick Glory will probably be at 125 for Princeton as true frosh
  • Millhof has to win a wrestle-off with Courtney who looked good at Jr WTT but got taken apart by Fix.

Pretty everyone except Gilman was taken apart by Fix. Or am I mistaken?

Heiselman is pretty small as I recall. I'd think he'd benefit from a year of growing into the weight instead of getting thrown to the lions.

Glory seemed really big and I was thinking he'd probably rs and then go 133, but I guess if he can make 125 for the entire season ...

Last edited:
Reactions: andegre
Hoping for a bit more wrestling talk here…

Other threads started to discuss possible team’s line-ups, I’ll focus on an early look by weight class…one weight class at a time.

This isn’t intended to be totally correct, so jump in with corrections/comments/thoughts, particularly those that move the discussion forward :).

This weight class loses 2 AA’s from the 2018 Championships due to eligibility, the 3rd, and 5th Place finishers, and the tea leaves suggest a third and fourth departure (#2 Nick Suriano, RUT and #4 Ethan Lizak, MINN), as they likely go 133. Back are Spencer Lee (Iowa, 1st), Sebastian Rivera (NU, 6th), Ronnie Bresser (ORST, 7th), and Zeke Moisey (formerly WVU, now Nebraska, 8th), as well as R12 guys Louie Hayes (VT), Taylor Lamont (UVU), and Nick Piccinnini (OKST). Bresser and Moisey are back for seemingly their 10th years, and “Picc” may go 133. Time will tell on that one, as conventional wisdom has him staying, with Daton Fix going 133 for the Cowboys, as thinking is, it’s better for the team.

So that’s 7 guys already, before discussing others. Sean Russell (Minn, by way of Edinboro) will be in the mix to medal, as he likely replaces Lizak at 125 for the Golden Gophers. There are others “in the mix” too, with Ryan Millhof (Ariz St), Connor Schram (Lehigh, by way of Stanford), Shakur Laney (Ohio), and Drew Mattin (Mich), to mention several.

Then there’s the McGee’s, Akins’, Piotrowski’s, Assad’s, and Foley’s of the world, and others, all capable of a post-season run that lands them top-8. 125 is not absent of talent.

I'd love to see Lee vs Fix, just don't think it's in the cards. And while anything can happen on the mat, an early look suggests Lee could be one of the heaviest weight class favorites. True, Bresser beat Lee last year, with his defensive style that got a close match to the 3rd, where he won with a late takedown...I just don't see a repeat as Lee trusts his previously injured knee more and more. For the record, as a college wrestling fan, Spencer Lee is fun to watch.

Whomever goes for PSU has an uphill climb to place at Nationals. Nothing would surprise me though after a full year in our room…time will tell.

I'd also love to see Lee v Fix.

If Fix goes 133, I'm thinking Lee runs roughshod over the rest of 125 field (with or without the Rutgers Male athlete of the Year).

If Fix goes 125, and Lee beats him twice, he gets a bunch of Hodge votes. Just not enough to overcome Jason or Bo, IMO.

Picc wrestled 61kg in freestyle this summer, no (Did he face RBY)? And Daton 57. I’d expect to see the trend continue.

If Iowa wrestles OSU this year I wonder if they agree to wrestle like Gross and Meredith did last year if they are at different weights

Reactions: Ja1339
Pretty everyone except Gilman was taken apart by Fix. Or am I mistaken?

Heiselman is pretty small as I recall. I'd think he'd benefit from a year of growing into the weight instead of getting thrown to the lions.

Glory seemed really big and I was thinking he'd probably rs and then go 133, but I guess if he can make 125 for the entire season ...
Glory can't RS.

If Iowa wrestles OSU this year I wonder if they agree to wrestle like Gross and Meredith did last year if they are at different weights

That would really be cool.

If it does happen, and Spencer wins, I'm predicting Terry gets tossed, again :)

I’m predicting a Fix v Lee tournament final, with Fix winning the national championship. As for PSU, I’m betting Teske is our representative, going 2-2.

Reactions: TSATIGER
Fix is the only person I can see giving Lee a really strong challenge at 125. I'm predicting Lee to repeat whether Fix is at 125 or not. For PSU, I worry about Teasdale holding down 125 all year.

Was it Cadet or Junior WTT where Lee bumped up to take on Fix, but lost? Then slid back down to X to still make the team.

Was it Cadet or Junior WTT where Lee bumped up to take on Fix, but lost? Then slid back down to X to still make the team.

Not sure but I remember watching it. If I remember correctly Lee opened most of the matches taking Fix down fairly easily a few times but Lee either gassed or the weight difference caught up to him and Fix came back to win

Qualified for JR after losing to Fix in Cadet.

Though I don't recall Lee going up in weight for it.

Ah, yes. And Princeton doesn't do the grey shirt thing. They are missing an opportunity with Middlesex CC nearby.
Travis Stefanik grayshirted this past year. Spent some of it training in Russia and competed at Yarygin.

Qualified for JR after losing to Fix in Cadet.

Though I don't recall Lee going up in weight for it.
I thought he bumped up to 55kg to take on Fix, lost, then "came back down" to 50kg and won...my googling skills are poor this morning so I haven't found much yet.

Fix is the only person I can see giving Lee a really strong challenge at 125. I'm predicting Lee to repeat whether Fix is at 125 or not. For PSU, I worry about Teasdale holding down 125 all year.
I think most knowledgeable fans have the same concern with Teas, But I dont think there are very many HS kids that know how to cut and hold weight the right way..I do believe he will learn that skill very quickly at PSU

I think most knowledgeable fans have the same concern with Teas, But I dont think there are very many HS kids that know how to cut and hold weight the right way..I do believe he will learn that skill very quickly at PSU
You would think so, but Andrew never did, Dylan struggled with the discipline, Shak got the body to 165 but couldn't get the maintain concept down. If you do not master the entire routine you spend training time making weight instead of improving.

Reactions: tabenn
I thought he bumped up to 55kg to take on Fix, lost, then "came back down" to 50kg and won...my googling skills are poor this morning so I haven't found much yet.
Since Lee stated shortly after worlds "I'm never making that cut again" (meaning to 50) - dont think he bumped too much for that.

You would think so, but Andrew never did, Dylan struggled with the discipline, Shak got the body to 165 but couldn't get the maintain concept down. If you do not master the entire routine you spend training time making weight instead of improving.
The first two examples are pretty good, but not the third (Shak). Shak was a giant 165 pounder and the cut was simply asking too much IMO.

Reactions: D3wrestler
The first 2 examples are maybe not so good -- how many shoulder surgeries does a wrestler need to undergo before getting some benefit of the doubt on the other aspects of the sport?

The first 2 examples are maybe not so good -- how many shoulder surgeries does a wrestler need to undergo before getting some benefit of the doubt on the other aspects of the sport?
As Tom Brands never said, "one shoulder, two shoulders, no shoulders-- that's not an excuse to me." :)

The first two examples are pretty good, but not the third (Shak). Shak was a giant 165 pounder and the cut was simply asking too much IMO.
Yep, that is your opinion and possibly a correct opinion.
I said he got the body to the weight and struggled with the maintaining part - which is not opinion. It is exactly how it played out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT