ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Wrestling Session 6 - 2022 NCAA Championships Results and Discussion thread

I told an Iowa fan that any team in district 11 in PA could beat any Iowa all star team lol. Didn't go over very well. Truth hurts lol
ANY team in D11? I think there are very few teams, if any, in D11 that could beat an Iowa all-star team. A D11 all-star team, yeah, but even Nazareth or BECA would be underdogs against an all-state Iowa all-star team.

Several schools have done it twice like PSU? Don't think so, pretty sure Iowa is the only other school other than PSU to record 5 Chanps two different years. Cormier's Alma Mater, Okie State, has only done it once I believe.... and those are the only 5 teams that have ever recorded 5 Champs in a single season (i.e., PSU 2x, Iowa 2x and Okie State 1x).
Several schools have done it twice like PSU? Don't think so, pretty sure Iowa is the only other school other than PSU to record 5 Chanps two different years. Cormier's Alma Mater, Okie State, has only done it once I believe.... and those are the only 5 teams that have ever recorded 5 Champs in a single season (i.e., PSU 2x, Iowa 2x and Okie State 1x).
believe that is what they said last night. Oklahoma state is the best program ever it would be amazing if they didn’t do it. Perhaps they haven’t: who really cares.

I spent the whole weekend sitting directly across the aisle from his dad (and the entire VaTech contingent). They were great fans, very into the action, not obnoxious, and seemed to be enjoying themselves through the highs and lows.

I got a nice photo of Mekhi hugging his dad after he returned to the stands last night after the finals. I’ll try to figure out how to post it since this board inexplicably doesn’t allow uploading photos to posts.
PAHURDLER, tikk10 posted this here back in 2018!
You can't drop photos directly here, you need to post them some other place, click the image icon, and paste the direct image url there.

I use a service called imgur, just upload there, right click on photo to grab the direct image url, come back here and paste.

My, how empty the stands were for a final. As an aside, my favorite all time ref officiated the match. He was always consistent and fair. Fred something?
Fred Ambrose. My Italian Father and Uncle would affectionately refer to him as Luca Brasi. Good ref. My favorite as well.

I mean wtf. Of course psu. What are you talking about. Why would anyone want a Minnesota tshirt. Because one guy won it. We had 5 and a team champ. If you want to buy a Minnesota shirt then you are on the wrong site.
It’s an inside joke on this board. Anytime tshirts are mentioned on this board expect someone to bring up Minny. Lol

Reactions: Fatmarc
Warner seems like a class kid. No reason to believe he didn't get that from parents.
While celebrating, Dean accidentally bumped into Warner pretty hard. Warner just shrugged it off and extended his hand for the shake.

It's what he's supposed to do, still that takes a ton of maturity and self-control. We've seen far too many wrestlers unable to look the opponent in the eyes after a loss. And even a few who attempted to injure the opponent after a loss. None of which were in reaction to physical contact.

Warner deserves credit for being better than that.

It's very evident that razpsu just started following wrestling last Thursday.
LOL, what's so funny about this is that you're so close to correct.

His posting history shows he just started following wrestling at 2022 B10s, and then forgot about it until just before nationals.

Reactions: Ski
Most of the Iowa guys are good guys sans DeSanto. With him, even Brands said he is wired differently. DeSanto was complimentary of RBY after most of those head to head defeats.
desanto has actually been classy in defeat for the most part. the only one that comes to mind is the famous micic incident, and that was still during the match.

he's had way more issues following victories when he seems to not be able to amp down after the whistle. his sportsmanship was exemplary all weekend.

Dude, if you don't get the joke don't act the part of an asswipe. Just ask what you are missing.
Dude. Who do you think I am?
iu

desanto has actually been classy in defeat for the most part. the only one that comes to mind is the famous micic incident, and that was still during the match.

he's had way more issues following victories when he seems to not be able to amp down after the whistle. his sportsmanship was exemplary all weekend.
Agreed. Everybody makes mistakes. I love the intensity that Desanto brought every match. Wish there were more like him.

Just wondering, how do y'all rank RBY, Lee, Starocci, and Brooks--P4P (in order)?

After this weekend, I can honestly see the case for pretty much any order.

#1 - Brooks (Beats #1 Amine, #3 Hidlay)
#2 - RBY (Beats #2 Fix, #5 DeSanto)
#3 - Carter (Beats #2 Lewis, former National Champ, #4 Hidlay)
#4 - Lee (Beats #15 Clarke, #4 Real Woods)
#5 - Dean

Brooks riding Amine the Olympic Medalist the entire 2nd - WOW! I was most nervous for this match.
I'm ok with swapping RBY & Carter - tough call as Carter beat a national champion and manhandled Hidlay.

I love this. The love and bond between brothers is an awesome thing. Seeing Gabe Dean crying with joy in the stands after Max's victory will always be a special memory for me. The Hidlay brothers and Dean brothers are indeed blessed. I miss my brother terribly, as unfortunately he passed away at just 41.

While celebrating, Dean accidentally bumped into Warner pretty hard. Warner just shrugged it off and extended his hand for the shake.

It's what he's supposed to do, still that takes a ton of maturity and self-control. We've seen far too many wrestlers unable to look the opponent in the eyes after a loss. And even a few who attempted to injure the opponent after a loss. None of which were in reaction to physical contact.

I remember being impressed by Warner after the ISU-Iowa dual this year. I may have mis-recalled some of the details, but there was a lot of bad blood manifested between the 2 schools during and after the dual, and Warner lost a controversial bout to Bastide if I remember correctly. The Iowa fans were very upset. I think Bastide was celebrating and Warner made a special effort to shake a distracted Bastide's hand and congratulate him afterwards. I was very impressed with his classy sportsmanship!

Last edited:
Petition to Spencer Lee to go 133 for the dual next year if RBY is back to allow himself the opportunity to show us how folkstyle should be done.

Reactions: Ski and nitlion6
#1 - Brooks (Beats #1 Amine, #3 Hidlay)
#2 - RBY (Beats #2 Fix, #5 DeSanto)
#3 - Carter (Beats #2 Lewis, former National Champ, #4 Hidlay)
#4 - Lee (Beats #15 Clarke, #4 Real Woods)
#5 - Dean

Brooks riding Amine the Olympic Medalist the entire 2nd - WOW! I was most nervous for this match.
I'm ok with swapping RBY & Carter - tough call as Carter beat a national champion and manhandled Hidlay.
I'd put RBY 1st. Fix is more accomplished at the world level than Amine at every age group including senior, has beaten Spencer Lee, and has never scored an offensive point on RBY.

DeSanto would be a 2x champ if not for RBY and Fx -- they're the only ones to beat him in the past 2 years. The only other guy to beat him in 2020 was Gross. And he's beaten a number of champs + finalists: RBY 2x, Suriano Gross, Lizak 2x, Micic, Mueller.

I remember being impressed by Warner after the ISU-Iowa dual this year. I may have mis-recalled some of the details, but there was a lot of bad blood manifested between the 2 schools during and after the dual, and Warner lost a controversial bout to Bastide if I remember correctly. The Iowa fans were very upset. I think Bastide was celebrating and Warner made a special effort to shake a distracted Bastide's hand and congratulate him afterwards. I was very impressed with his classy sportsmanship!
I don't remember Warner's loss to Bastida being controversial -- maybe it was, just don't remember.

Except for Bastida's celebration. He went way over the top, would've made NFL WRs blush.

And Warner calmly walked up to him and shook his hand.

I don't remember Warner's loss to Bastida being controversial -- maybe it was, just don't remember.

Except for Bastida's celebration. He went way over the top, would've made NFL WRs blush.

Perspective. All Hawkeye losses are controversial if you are a Hawk fan. The other dude stalled. The other dude may win 14-0, 16-12, 4-3, 1-0 or anything in-between, but it is definitely controversial because per a Hawk fan the other dude won only because the non Hawk stalled.

there was a very tough call on a go behind in the second period. bastida's hand was down when warner was behind. officials said because warner had not established rear standing, bastida had reaction time. he gets the takedown, he rides him out and probably wins that match somewhat comfortably.

warner is a classy guy. emotional in losses, but always directed inward. to me that's one of his biggest hurdles. puts a lot of pressure on himself. he's been money at the last two ncaa's though. deserves a lot of credit.

As per a Willie tweet, PSU's champs this year were ranked:
#9 (and Willie was likely the only one with him in the top 10)

Bottom line is we get a lot of top recruits, but we also put a waaaaay higher percentage of them on the top of the podium than any other program.
Lets not forget that four of the champs are also multiple time National Champions. Cael is developing the talent into not only national champions, but also into all time greats.

Warner also looked Max in the eye for the handshake. You could tell there was a lot of pain in his eyes (as you would expect) but he was still willing to do it. That's a sign of a big person.

there was a very tough call on a go behind in the second period. bastida's hand was down when warner was behind. officials said because warner had not established rear standing, bastida had reaction time. he gets the takedown, he rides him out and probably wins that match somewhat comfortably.

warner is a classy guy. emotional in losses, but always directed inward. to me that's one of his biggest hurdles. puts a lot of pressure on himself. he's been money at the last two ncaa's though. deserves a lot of credit.
Yeah first sign I saw of it was he was in tears after he lost in Round 2 to Thomas Lane of Cal Poly his freshman year. He still came back and AA'ed but you could tell he thought he felt he just failed completely because he was upset.

Based on what we've seen from his dad now, you can tell the pressure is just something Jacob puts on himself and it makes sense. He was hyped to do pretty big things coming in (as if 4x AA and now a finalist isn't that big lol) His dad's demeanor is definitely one of a "Just put your heart into it and the results don't matter to me, I love you unconditionally" kind of dad.

ADVERTISEMENT