ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Wrestling Session 5 - 2022 NCAA Championships Results and Discussion thread

Now that you bring it up, I got a genuine sense from some or the less troll-ish members of our board that they felt bad the title was never in question so they wanted to make mountains out of molehills. Like, "missed bonus" in the early rounds....
In the end it didn't make a difference, but the way the tourney was breaking for Michigan those missed bonus may have mattered. Luckily Michigan hit a wall and the PSU guys pulled through. I might be wrong, but I believe more than once the margin of victory was the bonus points.

Past results are not an indication of future success. I get why people wanted bonus. I want every one of our guys to pin his guy while beating him 14-0. But when I stated that I didn't give a hoot about a couple decisions that coulda been majors or so forth, I was called a silly person. So, I'm giving myself tonight to take a victory lap for being right for a change. Tomorrow morning the sun will rise and I'm back at square one. But today, its party time!

Since we’re talking bonus…

1) I think some posters thought we were getting a ton of bonus so the “complaints” weren’t necessarily warranted.

2) It’s really tough to get a TF with no NF points. Especially when you’re better, but not 10-15 seconds per TD better, than the other wrestler on your feet.

3) One 4 pt NF is equivalent to 3 TDs and 2 releases.

4) A fall is worth the most points

5) Folks can talk about missed bonus as freely as folks can say such talk is / was silly.

Should be an immediate penalty point for that.

It is in Free - Intentionally "Fleeing The Mat" is a 1 Point Penalty (i.e., no warnings - if you "Flee The Mat" to avoid being scored upon, you are penalized immediately without a "warning".... as you should be.).

Since we’re talking bonus…

1) I think some posters thought we were getting a ton of bonus so the “complaints” weren’t necessarily warranted.

2) It’s really tough to get a TF with no NF points. Especially when you’re better, but not 10-15 seconds per TD better, than the other wrestler on your feet.

3) One 4 pt NF is equivalent to 3 TDs and 2 releases.

4) A fall is worth the most points

5) Folks can talk about missed bonus as freely as folks can say such talk is / was silly.

Most "complaints" I think are about accumulating 3-4 minutes of riding time in the first two periods against a clearly inferior opponent and then trying to play catch and release in the 3rd period. I think most want to see more cutting and releasing in the first two periods and then if you are close to a tech fall in the 3rd you work for the pin if time allows and you can still collect your last point(s) for the TF if you don't get the pin. This strategy failed Nick Lee in his match, but will work more often than not against outmatched opponents. A TF in hand is worth 2 pins in the bush.

$.02

Most "complaints" I think are about accumulating 3-4 minutes of riding time in the first two periods against a clearly inferior opponent and then trying to play catch and release in the 3rd period. I think most want to see more cutting and releasing in the first two periods and then if you are close to a tech fall in the 3rd you work for the pin if time allows and you can still collect your last point(s) for the TF if you don't get the pin. This strategy failed Nick Lee in his match, but will work more often than not against outmatched opponents. A TF in hand is worth 2 pins in the bush.

$.02
LOL WHO CARES NOW!!

Technical question. Just prior to finishing his pin of Hoffman, Bastida pulled on Hoffman's headgear.

If called, what would be the ruling?

It's a Penalty Point I believe. If ruled to have occurred, I believe they would've awarded Penalty Point to Hoffman and restarted at time when pull occurred (i.e., would wipe out action after it).

Mcpat
Do you have results by wrestler
We know nolf is 3-0 , Ruth 3-0. DT 2-2
Bo 3-0 or 3-1. I know zain has 2. Quentin 2. Mark hall 1, Vincenzo. 2. Matt brown 1.

that’s just spit balling.

Mcpat
Bo 3-0 or 3-1. I know zain has 2. Quentin 2. Mark hall 1, Vincenzo. 2. Matt brown 1.

If you're talking NCAA Championships, Zain has 3.

If you're talking NCAA Championships, Zain has 3.
Yeah. To equal Cael’s championship final record at psu

By my count, PSU finalists are 27-15 during the Cael Sanderson era and 16-3 since 2017.

1qvZVC5.jpg

Mcpat

I was looking at the year by year results on the Penn state wrestling club site. For each season, it lists each wrestler’s record and postseason placement. From the NCAA column, I simply counted 1’s (win) and 2’s (loss). :). I didn’t count it by wrestler.

• Love
Reactions: 5q
Question for the board RE T. Hidlay: When Hidlay rides the perimeter, why doesn't AB just trot to the center of the mat and wait for Hidlay to engage? Seems like after that happens a few times it would make it difficult for the ref to ignore Hidlay's continuous stalling.

It doesn't work that way - pretty clear you haven't wrestled. First of all, T. Hidlay looks to engage in a tie - it isn't like he walks to the edge and Brooks follows him. Once in a tie, Hidlay backs up. It is not easy to break a tie and focus on "going back to the center" - getting distracted with bullshit like that is a good way to get taken down. Once your in a tie of some sort, each wrestler has ahold of the other in one or another. Focusing on breaking the tie, or attempting to pull your opponent to the middle, instead of focusing on chaim-wrestling off the tie, is a good way to get taken down. It would be silly for a wrestler to attempt to focus on breaking a tie so he can walk backwards back to center rather than focus on the actual position he is in and what is the best move to make next off the tie. It is the Refs job to make calls against Hidlay when he is wrestling in an illegal manner, not Brooks' to take it into his own hands and focus on bullshit maneuvers that might cost him the match.

The people still talking about it do. This is the final tournament this year, but there are more tournaments in the years to come and all of them won't be over on Saturday morning. It is a first world problem for sure.
PSU won nothing more to talk about till next yr!well actually not for 3 more yrs!

I’m going back in time- OSU had the highest average recruiting ranking from 2010-2020, and the highest rank ‘22 class
Maybe you forget that tOSU had a really great 5-year run from 2015 thru 2019:

2015 - 1st
2016 - 3rd
2017 - 2nd
2018 - 2nd (perhaps the best 2nd place team ever, scoring 133.5 points)
2019 - 2nd

If not for PSU, Brutus would have won a few more titles in that span.

And obviously their great recruiting class in 2022 can't help them at least until next season.

Last edited:
LOL WHO CARES NOW!!
That’s a fair take also. But I think a few people are/were simply having a respectful conversation about it. If it wasn’t respectful, that’d be different, but it is/was respectful.

OMG! I didn't look at that closely before posting!!!!!!!!!!! I may leave it for the humor unless folks find it too offensive. LOL!

Mcpat

Nolf is 3-1. He went 2-1-1-1, as did Bo.

Reactions: diggerpup

$.02
I think this strategy discounts the physical wear in a bottom wrestler which causes mental mistakes later in a match. Being on bottom tires a wrestler more than on feet I would imagine.

Reactions: nittinsc and mcpat
I read these posts. Iowa had 10 scoring wrestlers........so that makes them Champs....right?

I’ve watched this a few times. Loved this interview as I’m big on family. Massa aside, really enjoying hearing a lot of interviews this year from guys who came back for one last ride. Totally changed my thoughts about some of them. I know when Miles Amine was interviewed after his Big 10 win against Aaron, I now have a genuine like for the guy where as before he may have even rubbed me the wrong way.

Reactions: Creek Side and Ski
I’ve watched this a few times. Loved this interview as I’m big on family. Massa aside, really enjoying hearing a lot of interviews this year from guys who came back for one last ride. Totally changed my thoughts about some of them. I know when Miles Amine was interviewed after his Big 10 win against Aaron, I now have a genuine like for the guy where as before he may have even rubbed me the wrong way.

Believe his first name is with a y, not an i.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT