ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Wrestling Session 5 - 2022 NCAA Championships Results and Discussion thread

CSauertiegPSU

Staff
Oct 9, 2013
Down to the nitty gritty of the last day of the NCAA Tournament!

Penn State comes into this session with a chance to sew up the team title! The scenarios, from the ever-incredible @IndyLion1, are below. Wrestlers will have two matches this morning regardless of how their first matches go, so there are a lot of moving parts, but Michigan would need nothing short of an absolutely miracle at this point to keep Penn State from taking its spot back atop the podium.

TV: ESPNU
Streaming: ESPN App/ESPN.com
Audio: https://gopsusports.com/watch/?Archive=7685&sport=30&type=Archive
Brackets/Tournament Hub: https://www.trackwrestling.com/pred...ents/TournamentHub.jsp&twSessionId=uokgzcxmod

Team Standings
TeamPointsMaximum
Potential
Semi
# 3rd-4th# 5th-6th# 7th-8th
Penn State108146.551
Michigan84.5130.524

PSU starts tomorrow with a 23.5 point lead!

Finals - win and get 4 placement points plus bonus
Penn State has 5 wrestlers in the finals. PSU will be favored by seeding in 4 of 5 finals matches
Michigan has 2 wrestlers in the finals. Michigan is favored in 2 or 2 finals matches.

125:
#1 Suriano, MICH vs #3 Pat Glory

133:
#1 RBY vs #2 Daton Fix

141:
#1 Nick Lee vs #15 Kizhan Clarke, UNC

174:
#1 CStar vs #2 Lewis, VT

184:
#1 Amine, Mich vs #2 Brooks, Penn State

197:
#1 Max Dean vs #6 Warner, Iowa

If PSU wins 4 finals matches and Michigan wins 2, PSU will gain 8 more points on Michigan

Consolations:
Penn State has 1 wrestle in consolation semi-finals (Kerk). He is wrestling Mason Parris. Kerk has beat Parris twice this year. If Kerk wins, he will get 3 placement points + 0.5 advancement + bonus and Parris will be limited to only 1 placement point + bonus in the 5th place match. Go Kerk and get to 3rd. If we wins 3rd, that is another placement point.

Michigan has 3 other wrestlers in consolation semi-finals. Same has Kerk above, max scoring is 4.5 + bonus points to win both matches and place 3rd.

Michigan's max score in consolations is 34 more points. All 4 wrestlers win both matches by pin.

157: #8 WIll Lewan vs #1 David Carr
165: #6 Amine vs #4 Dean Hamiti, WIS
174: #3 Massa vs #5 Kemerer, Iowa (one last time to cheer for Mikey Kemerer!
285: Kerk vs Parris. Go Kerk!!!

If Kerk places 3rd, PSU scores 4.5 more points.
Say Michigan wins 2 of the remaining 3 and places 3rd with 4 bonus points + a 5th place finish, Michigan will add 14 points.

Penn State 128.5
Michigan 107.5

If we only have 2 champions:
Penn State 120.5
Michigan 107.5

Down to the nitty gritty of the last day of the NCAA Tournament!

Penn State comes into this session with a chance to sew up the team title! The scenarios, from the ever-incredible @IndyLion1, are below. Wrestlers will have two matches this morning regardless of how their first matches go, so there are a lot of moving parts, but Michigan would need nothing short of an absolutely miracle at this point to keep Penn State from taking its spot back atop the podium.

TV: ESPNU
Streaming: ESPN App/ESPN.com
Audio: https://gopsusports.com/watch/?Archive=7685&sport=30&type=Archive
Brackets/Tournament Hub: https://www.trackwrestling.com/pred...ents/TournamentHub.jsp&twSessionId=uokgzcxmod

TeamPointsMaximum
Potential
Semi
# 3rd-4th# 5th-6th# 7th-8th
Team Standings
Penn State108146.551
Michigan84.5130.524

PSU starts tomorrow with a 23.5 point lead!

Finals - win and get 4 placement points plus bonus
Penn State has 5 wrestlers in the finals. PSU will be favored by seeding in 4 of 5 finals matches
Michigan has 2 wrestlers in the finals. Michigan is favored in 2 or 2 finals matches.

125:
#1 Suriano, MICH vs #3 Pat Glory

133:
#1 RBY vs #2 Daton Fix

141:
#1 Nick Lee vs #15 Kizhan Clarke, UNC

174:
#1 CStar vs #2 Lewis, VT

184:
#1 Amine, Mich vs #2 Brooks, Penn State

197:
#1 Max Dean vs #6 Warner, Iowa

If PSU wins 4 finals matches and Michigan wins 2, PSU will gain 8 more points on Michigan

Consolations:
Penn State has 1 wrestle in consolation semi-finals (Kerk). He is wrestling Mason Parris. Kerk has beat Parris twice this year. If Kerk wins, he will get 3 placement points + 0.5 advancement + bonus and Parris will be limited to only 1 placement point + bonus in the 5th place match. Go Kerk and get to 3rd. If we wins 3rd, that is another placement point.

Michigan has 3 other wrestlers in consolation semi-finals. Same has Kerk above, max scoring is 4.5 + bonus points to win both matches and place 3rd.

Michigan's max score in consolations is 34 more points. All 4 wrestlers win both matches by pin.

157: #8 WIll Lewan vs #1 David Carr
165: #6 Amine vs #4 Dean Hamiti, WIS
174: #3 Massa vs #5 Kemerer, Iowa (one last time to cheer for Mikey Kemerer!
285: Kerk vs Parris. Go Kerk!!!

If Kerk places 3rd, PSU scores 4.5 more points.
Say Michigan wins 2 of the remaining 3 and places 3rd with 4 bonus points + a 5th place finish, Michigan will add 14 points.

Penn State 128.5
Michigan 107.5

If we only have 2 champions:
Penn State 120.5
Michigan 107.5
Thanks Clay! Let's all sit back and enjoy today. Today is the last time we will see Nick Lee and possibly RBY wrestling for PSU. Also no more PSU wrestling until late November.

Thanks Clay! Let's all sit back and enjoy today. Today is the last time we will see Nick Lee and possibly RBY wrestling for PSU. Also no more PSU wrestling until late November.
We’ve certainly had more dominant wrestlers than Nick Lee but he is, by far, my favorite wrestler ever to watch.

A master clinician of all positions and non-stop action / attempt to improve. Never satisfied with the current score. Always going for the fall as the primary objective, the TF if the fall isn’t there and the major even when it’s not there.

Sure - he occasionally makes a mistake, but those mistakes only occur in the effort to improve.

He’s what all young wrestlers should emulate in wrestling style, IMO.

Top that off with humility and respect for his opponents, coaches and the sport as a whole.

We’ve certainly had more dominant wrestlers than Nick Lee but he is, by far, my favorite wrestler ever to watch.

A master clinician of all positions and non-stop action / attempt to improve. Never satisfied with the current score. Always going for the fall as the primary objective, the TF if the fall isn’t there and the major even when it’s not there.

Sure - he occasionally makes a mistake, but those mistakes only occur in the effort to improve.

He’s what all young wrestlers should emulate in wrestling style, IMO.

Top that off with humility and respect for his opponents, coaches and the sport as a whole.
Nick Lee is definitely at the top of my list of favorite, non-Hawkeye wrestlers, for all of the exact reasons you mentioned

Should be an interesting race for third place in the team score. Currently ASU over Iowa by a single point; both with 1 finalist, 3 in consi semis, and 1 wrestling for 7th.

Reactions: diggerpup
Love Byers but hope he can properly prioritize today. I had to spend half last nights session on the road with my son, and he spent 80% of the time for 157 and 165 commentating on matches with no significance to us - offhandedly mentioning that Lewan or Amine was down. I was ready to drive into a ditch with the suspense. I had to discern what happened a few times from (lack of home) crowd noise or the PA announcer.

Probably need to spend most of the medal round on audio, so hopefully the focus is on the Michigan matches.

Love Byers but hope he can properly prioritize today. I had to spend half last nights session on the road with my son, and he spent 80% of the time for 157 and 165 commentating on matches with no significance to us - offhandedly mentioning that Lewan or Amine was down. I was ready to drive into a ditch with the suspense. I had to discern what happened a few times from (lack of home) crowd noise or the PA announcer.

Probably need to spend most of the medal round on audio, so hopefully the focus is on the Michigan matches.

I bet you didn’t know the Hidlay boys were local guys…

Last edited:
Think they’ll stick with broadcasting this college lacrosse game if it goes to OT?

ADS will wrestle for 3rd. Beat the 7 seed Byrd 10-6. I didn’t see any Mortal Kombat moves.

So as far as team race, it really starts at 157 today, correct, with 157, 165, 174 (go Michael!) and 285 being of high interest?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT