ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Wrestling Session 5 - 2022 NCAA Championships Results and Discussion thread

Was that you that mentioned this guy even before this happened? Someone did..
tombstone-huckleberry.gif

It matters if he wants an automatic qualification to World Team Trials.
Obviously it wasn't forefront on Kerk's mind.

But it really doesn't matter to someone of his caliber, assuming he's healthy enough to participate in any of the remaining qualification events and wishes to:

Updated World Team Trials process qualifiers as of March 7, with 165 athletes already qualified to compete​

By Gary Abbott, USA Wrestling | March 07, 2022, 1:53 p.m. (ET)

125 kg
Advance directly to Final X
2020 Olympic champion – Gable Steveson (Gopher WC)
World Team Trials Challenge Tournament qualifiers
2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials second place - Nick Gwiazdowski (Titan Mercury WC/Wolfpack WC)
2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials third place - Mason Parris (Cliff Keen WC)
2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials fourth place - Anthony Nelson (Gopher WC RTC)
2021 Senior World Team Trials third place - Hayden Zillmer (Gopher WC RTC)
2021 Senior World Team Trials fourth place - Dom Bradley (Sunkist Kids)
2021 U23 World gold medalist – Anthony Cassioppi (Hawkeye WC)

*- Athletes qualified in two weights. Athletes qualified twice in the same weight are only listed once, based upon first event that qualified him.

Other qualifying standards to come, all men’s freestyle weight classes
• 2022 NCAA Div. I Championships top three place finishers
• 2022 Senior Pan American Championships medalist
• April 2022 Bill Farrell International, highest placing U.S. athlete yet to qualify
• April 2022 Senior U.S. Open top seven finishers
• May 2022 Northeast Regionals/Last Chance Qualifier, highest placing U.S. athlete winning a medal yet to qualify

Question for the board RE T. Hidlay: When Hidlay rides the perimeter, why doesn't AB just trot to the center of the mat and wait for Hidlay to engage? Seems like after that happens a few times it would make it difficult for the ref to ignore Hidlay's continuous stalling.

I like it, but literally want to see the “trot” part when he does it.
Seems like it would just look something like this, right?

Reactions: danoftw
I believe if the ref determines he headgear grab helped turn Hoffman the back points go off the board also.
That would be interesting, because
I believe if the ref determines he headgear grab helped turn Hoffman the back points go off the board also.
That would be interesting if the points went off the board as well. Bastida had already earned 4 back points before he grabbed Hoffman's headgear (Hoffman was fighting so hard for so long that Bastida looked to get a little extra leverage). Would they take off the already earned 4 points as part of the penalty? I don't think so.

Last edited:
That would be interesting, because
That would be interesting if the points went off the board as well. Bastida had already earned 4 back points before he grabbed Hoffman's headgear (Hoffman was fighting so hard for so long that Bastida looked to get a little extra leverage). Would they take off the already earned 4 points as part of the penalty?
No. If the points were earned before the penalty occurred they stay. So much ado about nothing. Kind of like:

• the Dean 2 point NF non-call. He's likely winning anyway. Of course, there is one arithmetically-challenged guy over on HR (jrt-something?) who has stated a number of times that Dean actually lost if you count the NF.
  • AB top-stalling, of course conveniently overlooking that AB scores off the only two offensive moves in the match until giving up a last-second TD to Amine when the match was over.
  • Then non-TD call for Mekhi that Beckham and others were on fire about, despite the announcers pointing out that the main ref was on the other side of the mat with a bad view, and it rolled into an immediate replay that worked exactly how it was supposed to work.
  • Comments about RBY stalling, while conveniently overlooking the fact that he took about twice as many committed attacks as both ADS and Fix in his final three matches against them and scored TDs in each.
We wrestled really well in this tournament, our wrestlers were the warriors and champs that all of the opposing fanbases hope to see from their guys (many others were warriors, but only five non-PSU guys ended up champs and likely only four that people were rooting for.) For lots of people, that is too difficult to swallow, especially coming along with the ridiculous numbers like 45-5 and 21-3 and 11 in a row.

Reactions: NittanyChris
  • Then non-TD call for Mekhi that Beckham and others were on fire about, despite the announcers pointing out that the main ref was on the other side of the mat with a bad view, and it rolled into an immediate replay that worked exactly how it was supposed to work.
The ref being out of place is an entirely fair criticism -- it's literally his job to be in position to make that call. He wasn't remotely in position, and even so, the replays showed that when he finally got there, Lewis had control of Carter and still clearly had his foot in bounds. Blown call on multiple levels.

But as you said, replay worked as intended.

Of course, few people complaining gave a rat's ass about Mekhi Lewis or what's right or the sanctity of the sport. It was jealousy.

Then again, maybe we should defer to Beckman, the ultimate authority on boundary wrestling.

At what point does tOSU question their strength and conditioning approach? They’ve been taking p4p kings and cranking out pumped up stiff Adonis’s to wrestle for 5th place seemingly forever.
I don't think there is anything wrong with their strength program. I do think they take too long to get into cardio shape. There is no doubt they need somebody in the room who can teach mat wrestling. Maybe Steiber gets this done.

With that said, during Cael's PSU run OSU has the 3rd most team titles and the most top 2 finishes.

Question for the board RE T. Hidlay: When Hidlay rides the perimeter, why doesn't AB just trot to the center of the mat and wait for Hidlay to engage? Seems like after that happens a few times it would make it difficult for the ref to ignore Hidlay's continuous stalling.
Hidlay is simply looking to shorten the match and steal it at the end. Backing up to the middle takes Aaron's hands off Hidlay allowing Hidlay to conserve energy for the last 30 seconds.
Just guessing though. That guess, plus PSU doesn't waste a whole lot of physical nor mental energy looking for stall calls.

How does the ref not see that headgear pull, less than a foot from his face?
They miss many obvious moments. Ripping a headgear off would seem a bit much, but right on par. Since I woke up yesterday not feeling well, I napped through the placement matches. I take it Tommy did not have a brick left to use.

They miss many obvious moments. Ripping a headgear off would seem a bit much, but right on par. Since I woke up yesterday not feeling well, I napped through the placement matches. I take it Tommy did not have a brick left to use.
That's a reasonably safe assumption. Probably a safe assumption 2 sessions earlier.

The reffing in this tournament was really bad -- and not just subjective stuff like top stalling. Bastida headgear pull, Ed Scott 0.1 sec pin, ref not even being on the screen for Lewis' takedown last night, etc., ... just so much obvious stuff missed, and some of it not reviewable.

Hopefully that can be corrected in the offseason.

Thankfully that's not what I'll remember this tournament for.

Reactions: nitlion6
ADVERTISEMENT