ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling inside info.

Callthestall

Mar 14, 2016
I got talking today to an ex Head Wrestling College coach that still has connections to the current wrestling scene.
2 things of interest, that I don't know if they have been discussed.
The first thing that I found out.
Koll leaving Cornell was because of 2 reasons.
One is the obvious, 5 year 2.5 million guarantee.The other issue was Cornell penalized him by holding salary or bonus because they found out he was having non approved workouts during the Covid situation. Supposedly that was what made him even consider looking elsewhere.
The second notable discussion that came up. It sounds like Kyle Dake will be at State College in some role after the Olympics.

Last edited:
I got talking today to an ex Head Wrestling College coach that still has connections to the current wrestling scene.
We should call you 1976 because you might be 200 Cents! :) #bicentennial

Appreciate you sharing. Dake to NLWC has made a ton of sense forever. Everyone knows his preferred training partner is DT.

Who is Dake's training partner in Tokyo going to be?
He did an interview with chael sonnen about a month ago. It sounds like his new training partner has been Yianni since gabe left. He also mentioned he would be working with DT and whoever DT brings (which many would assume to be Bo, although it very well could be Aaron).

One is the obvious, 5 year 2.5 million guarantee.The other issue was Cornell penalized him by holding salary or bonus because they found out he was having non approved workouts during the Covid situation. Supposedly that was what made him even consider looking elsewhere.
The second notable discussion that came up. It sounds like Kyle Dake will be at State College in some role after the Olympics.
This is not going to be his salary. He's joked about it publicly.

All of this can be sourced to Pat Mineo. Could be true, but he's swung and missed on this situation a couple times already.

Grammar and spelling never my strong suit. You know you're a bad speller when spell check doesn't correct the word😒
Actually I meant to compliment you by calling you 200 Cents, the Bicentennial Man. Since somebody called Mineo 50 Cents because he is right half the time, I was hoping you are right 200 percent of the time with your two predictions. :)

He did an interview with chael sonnen about a month ago. It sounds like his new training partner has been Yianni since gabe left. He also mentioned he would be working with DT and whoever DT brings (which many would assume to be Bo, although it very well could be Aaron).
Why bring Yianni if his preferred training partner is DT, who will be there already?

Dake and his family were walking in my neighborhood today………in Centre County. I will respect his family life and not be specific about where in Centre County.

Dake and his family were walking in my neighborhood today………in Centre County. I will respect his family life and not be specific about where in Centre County.
Centre County continues to grow with wrestling talent. Wow!!!

Why bring Yianni if his preferred training partner is DT, who will be there already?
Again, nothing is formalized. Just iterating that while Dake workouts at Spartan combat Rtc he is training with yianni lol. However typically training partners are from the same RTC

Because it gives you more training options.

Look, I don't pretend to have any special insight here, but if your preferred option is already going to be there, why wouldn't you bring your second best option (who wouldn't be there otherwise because he wasn't top 3 at trials) as your designated training partner?

It's also possible that Taylor will be too busy with his own preparations to give Dake the attention he wants to get ready.

All this is to say that bringing Yianni to Tokyo as his dedicated training partner doesn't mean Taylor isn't his preferred long term training partner.

Reactions: nitlion6
This is not going to be his salary. He's joked about it publicly.

All of this can be sourced to Pat Mineo. Could be true, but he's swung and missed on this situation a couple times already.
Maybe decided the peak was reached at Cornell? Maybe energized by something new? Maybe was ready to ride off in the sunset when he found the sun set much later on the west coast and so could he?
Maybe the recent big trend of grad transfers puts the Ivies at a giant disadvantage for a NC.

Bet on easier thought processes than complicated possibles like withholding salary.

Because it gives you more training options.

Look, I don't pretend to have any special insight here, but if your preferred option is already going to be there, why wouldn't you bring your second best option (who wouldn't be there otherwise because he wasn't top 3 at trials) as your designated training partner?

It's also possible that Taylor will be too busy with his own preparations to give Dake the attention he wants to get ready.

All this is to say that bringing Yianni to Tokyo as his dedicated training partner doesn't mean Taylor isn't his preferred long term training partner.
An injury to one is an injury to both. Belt & suspenders issue?

That's not true. Neuheisel was at the Corner Room.
Speaking of the Corner Room, I was in SC a month ago and decided to take the wife there after reading an article about the new ownership. I'm not a picky eater at all, but that place sucked, the food and the service.

I believe it's a scenario where Koll loves to coach, but found the administration at Cornell increasing difficult to deal with. So he moved on to what he now perceives as being a good situation.
Perhaps true, but if you want to find out for sure, make sure you have both beer and a fishing pole.

Speaking of the Corner Room, I was in SC a month ago and decided to take the wife there after reading an article about the new ownership. I'm not a picky eater at all, but that place sucked, the food and the service.
Covid has been very hard on some of downtown restaurants. From low volume to low staffing levels. I’d recommend a mulligan at some point down the road.

Corner room hasn't been worth writing home about in a long time..
Corner Room is being renovated under new and better ownership. So is the Tavern. Both will be ready for football season. Now do the same for NLI. Rumor on the street is that it’s for sale. Another prominent prop is supposedly on the market, too, and will be converted to housing if sold.

Corner Room is being renovated under new and better ownership. So is the Tavern. Both will be ready for football season. Now do the same for NLI. Rumor on the street is that it’s for sale. Another prominent prop is supposedly on the market, too, and will be converted to housing if sold.
The Nittany Lion Inn is for sale? I highly doubt the university would do that.

Hmmmm. Do you know how much it will cost to renovate that place especially after it’s been a dorm? Do you think the PSU Cabal wants to do that? The place was falling apart before CoVid. Sandy’s strategic plan had a new hotel being built over by the stadium in the area over by the Visitors Center... guess who has moved?

Had lunch at the Corner Room a couple of weeks ago. Embarrassingly bad. Hope the renovation takes. B

Withholding salary. As if the Ivy's didn't do enough damage. That's harsh.

FWIW - Corby mentioned on "The First Word" last week he's heard some strong rumblings of Kyle Dake going to NLWC. Willie said he doesn't buy it because Dake owns Ithaca and can drive down whenever in 3 hours to State College without moving his whole family.

Reactions: lookleft goright
ADVERTISEMENT