ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling for Life Fundraiser

CowboyUp61

May 22, 2016
stillwater, ok
I know I am an outsider, and copying something from that beloved Hawkeye Report, but I feel strongly that Wrestling for Life is a good organization, that helps attract and retain kids in wrestling. You can read more here; http://www.wrestlingforlife.org/ . They purchase tickets for kids to events, provide aid in getting kids to camps, and support womens wrestling as well.

I have committed to donate $5 per team USA win at the World Championships. Not supporting one club, or one school, but the growth of wrestling. Are there some BWI members that will match me? Let's make this work across all fan bases!

I know I am an outsider, and copying something from that beloved Hawkeye Report, but I feel strongly that Wrestling for Life is a good organization, that helps attract and retain kids in wrestling. You can read more here; http://www.wrestlingforlife.org/ . They purchase tickets for kids to events, provide aid in getting kids to camps, and support womens wrestling as well.

I have committed to donate $5 per team USA win at the World Championships. Not supporting one club, or one school, but the growth of wrestling. Are there some BWI members that will match me? Let's make this work across all fan bases!
Great cause. I am in ! Let's ALL help the sport of wrestling. Please ! In season we all love it so lets give as much support as possible.

Reactions: CowboyUp61
CU61...is this for all disciplines, and all 3 age levels? Not trying to be cheap, just clarifying for a friend ;)

CU61...is this for all disciplines, and all 3 age levels? Not trying to be cheap, just clarifying for a friend ;)
pick your poison :confused: but I am doing it for Senior Men. If they don't do enough (20 wins) I will probably count womens too. But if you want to go Juniors, that is fine with me!

pick your poison :confused: but I am doing it for Senior Men. If they don't do enough (20 wins) I will probably count womens too. But if you want to go Juniors, that is fine with me!

maybe we can start with juniors (next week) and build/hype this up? While its clear Im not a journalist, I also dont claim to be great at marketing.....but i think we can get more people (and more money). iowa comes to SC this year and more than likely a BJC visit, so W4L could get tickets easy enough for a good group with our donation(s).

34 has what 3 people that post so kicking their butt should be easy. HR has the most people and most interest in W4L so they probably are the favorite.

Other places that should be solicited
- the G
- the mat
- TOM
- FOS
- Chickenman what is the Yuks site with most traffic...go there

I guess anywhere you think has enough traffic. Lets make it a game.

Ill join whatever can be thrown together.

Reactions: CowboyUp61
maybe we can start with juniors (next week) and build/hype this up? While its clear Im not a journalist, I also dont claim to be great at marketing.....but i think we can get more people (and more money). iowa comes to SC this year and more than likely a BJC visit, so W4L could get tickets easy enough for a good group with our donation(s).

34 has what 3 people that post so kicking their butt should be easy. HR has the most people and most interest in W4L so they probably are the favorite.

- the G
- the mat
- TOM
- FOS

marketing is not my strong suit either. Only boards that I visit are 34, HR, and here, so I don't know that I can post elsewhere.

marketing is not my strong suit either. Only boards that I visit are 34, HR, and here, so I don't know that I can post elsewhere.
fair enough we can do that. Letting the hawks get this one..... should dampen the mood of the season on the brink .....

Lets just do senior men this go around-we will work on more next year.

If each has 5 wins for gold, that would be 40 wins, or $200 at $5 per win.

If you want to go more money each win, I am sure that would be OK!

If you want in, just say I'm in for $X per win!

Already have Rings in, so surely someone will want to beat his!

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Lets just do senior men this go around-we will work on more next year.

If each has 5 wins for gold, that would be 40 wins, or $200 at $5 per win.

If you want to go more money each win, I am sure that would be OK!

If you want in, just say I'm in for $X per win!

Already have Rings in, so surely someone will want to beat his!

All above is fine by me.

- the G
- the mat
- TOM
- FOS

FOS would be at a distinct disadvantage right now. They just went through a platform change and people are still trying to locate it at the new address.

I understand that some of you may plan on doing this-but please make your committment public, cause that helps others come out of the shadows!

"I am the assistant coach at Blackman High School in Murfreesboro (TN). So others know why I'm posting... Our room recently burned resulting in a total loss of the building and contents. There were four programs housed in the building. Wrestling for Life has gone to work to get shoes for our middle school program. I wanted to thank you in an appropriate way. Once our affairs are in order, we will return the favor. "

Not just an Iowa thing, but good for all!

Reactions: minnhawkeye
I understand that some of you may plan on doing this-but please make your committment public, cause that helps others come out of the shadows!

"I am the assistant coach at Blackman High School in Murfreesboro (TN). So others know why I'm posting... Our room recently burned resulting in a total loss of the building and contents. There were four programs housed in the building. Wrestling for Life has gone to work to get shoes for our middle school program. I wanted to thank you in an appropriate way. Once our affairs are in order, we will return the favor. "

Not just an Iowa thing, but good for all!

I plan on donating but am just going with a flat $100 instead of an amount per win.

I plan on donating but am just going with a flat $100 instead of an amount per win.
I am doing the same Nova. I plan on $500. Things do seem to be picking up now. Hope everyone who watches wrestling helps out. Please donate to help the sport we love !!!!

Reactions: whejoe
http://www.wrestlingforlife.org/index.php/donate

There you go, Rings! Just copy and paste your receipt on here, to give others incentive to match you!

Donation made. Receipt below.

Hello Brian McMahon ,

This email confirms that you have donated Wrestling for Life using PayPal.

This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL *WRESTLINGFO".

Donation Details
Donation amount: $100.00 USD
Total: $100.00 USD
Purpose: Wrestling For Life
Contributor: Brian McMahon
Recipient information
Donations coordinator:
Wrestling for Life

Receipt Number: 2468-1649-2651-6795

Keep your Receipt Number (shown above) for future reference. You will need to refer to this number if you need customer service from Wrestling for Life or from PayPal.

Sincerely,
PayPal

Donation made. Receipt below.

Hello Brian McMahon ,

This email confirms that you have donated Wrestling for Life using PayPal.

This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL *WRESTLINGFO".

Donation Details
Donation amount: $100.00 USD
Total: $100.00 USD
Purpose: Wrestling For Life
Contributor: Brian McMahon
Recipient information
Donations coordinator:
Wrestling for Life

Receipt Number: 2468-1649-2651-6795

Keep your Receipt Number (shown above) for future reference. You will need to refer to this number if you need customer service from Wrestling for Life or from PayPal.

Sincerely,
PayPal
NoVa, GREAT! I am 100% positive that Jim will do great things.

I am in for $100 minimum, hopefully more than that as the team wins 8 gold, even that Zain kid :)

C'mon Rings, lets get yours done! You can delete your name if you want to before you post your receipt....

After all, you talked me into donating for Frank, so I am just returning the favor!

Last edited:
Here you go Cowboy:

I'm following NoVa's lead.
Just easier to give a flat rate now (plus i won't then forget...).

receipt below.

Good luck with the fundraising.

You sent a payment of $100.00 USD to Wrestling for Life.

Jul 31, 2017 13:49:54 PDT
Receipt No:2653-6232-9114-5295

This charge will appear on your credit card statement as payment to PAYPAL *WRESTLINGFO.

Merchant information:
Wrestling for Life

http://www.wrestlingforlife.org

Amount

Wrestling For Life

$100.00 USD

$100.00 USD

Total:

$100.00 USD

Receipt No: 2653-6232-9114-5295
Please keep this receipt number for future reference. You'll need it if you contact customer service at Wrestling for Life or PayPal.

Here you go Cowboy:

I'm following NoVa's lead.
Just easier to give a flat rate now (plus i won't then forget...).

receipt below.

Good luck with the fundraising.

You sent a payment of $100.00 USD to Wrestling for Life.

Jul 31, 2017 13:49:54 PDT
Receipt No:2653-6232-9114-5295

This charge will appear on your credit card statement as payment to PAYPAL *WRESTLINGFO.

Merchant information:
Wrestling for Life

http://www.wrestlingforlife.org

Amount

Wrestling For Life

$100.00 USD

$100.00 USD

Total:

$100.00 USD

Receipt No: 2653-6232-9114-5295
Please keep this receipt number for future reference. You'll need it if you contact customer service at Wrestling for Life or PayPal.
Wow, thanks Slate! You will not regret this, Jim does great work all over the country supporting wrestling!

Cowboy....where did we read about W4L donating to the fire victims? If you find it bring it over and show these guys that they do more than by meet tix.

Reactions: WildTurk
In addition, I matched a scholarship offer WFL did early in the summer. Jim used it to aid 4 kids to go to a STEM/Wrestling camp in Baltimore, where they had wrestling for a half day, then STEM camp for a half day. Was a great use of my donation. https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/wrestling-camp-scholarship.171089/ is a thread here.

He seems very creative in getting the most out of limited funds for numerous things, including gathering used shoes and getting them where they are needed.

I have never met Jim, but think he does this on his own, sometimes with his own money. Trying to increase participation all over the country. Great deal as far as I am concerned.

Reactions: PSUer1989
Dunke, a long story, but last night I went to the C-store, had a couple bucks left in change, and bought a scratcher ticket. Won $200. So, now I will throw in $5 for each Junior win too if I can get some matches. Join me?

Last edited:
Holy buckets! I just learned of this yesterday and am flabbergasted by your reaction to CowboyUp's proposal.

Wrestling for Life started as "Tickets for Kids" in 2009 and that first year we gave tickets to Hawkeye dual meets to members of kids' wrestling clubs, middle school teams and youth organizations like Boys and Girls Club. Since then the ticket program has gone nationwide and we have given away over 7,500 tickets to duals, Big Ten, MAC, NCAA Division III and NAIA Championships and the Olympic Trials.

We became Wrestling for Life in 2012, in part because the nice lady who owned the rights to "Tickets for Kids" politely asked me to cease and desist and in part because we were looking for other ways to help kids and wrestling. We have added wrestling camp scholarships and financial help for girls wrestling.

In 2015 we learned what a roadblock to participation that lack of adequate gear is and began providing wrestling shoes to youth clubs and middle school teams serving financially challenged populations. Since then we have sent hundreds of pairs of shoes, literally, coast to coast. The shoe program is our fastest growing effort and we are challenged to keep up with demand. Today I am sending the last of our in-house inventory to Blackman (see above). Funds generated by your participation will be used to buy shoes.

Thank you all so much.

Jim Brown

Founder/Board President
Wrestling for Life

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Dunke, a long story, but last night I went to the C-store, had a couple bucks left in change, and bought a scratcher ticket. Won $200. So, now I will throw in $5 for each Junior win too if I can get some matches. Join me?
30 Wins. Put the money where (my)your mouth is!

Confirmation number:

5EP58562CP922214R

Donation amount:

$150.00 USD

Total:

$150.00 USD

Purpose:

Wrestling For Life

Reactions: VRE and purescurve
I would pay to see that pic
The pic of the donation, or one like this?

giphy.gif

Reactions: purescurve
Cowboy i have been donating. Gotta keep on the down low from the wife....Shuuu
So you're concerned that if you made your alleged donation public on this message board your alleged wife would find out because, I'm forced to presume, she reads this message board? Even though you admitted here to making a donation? If that's the case, doesn't she already know? Or does she only read certain posts, like the ones confirming donations?

On a more serious note, just found out Beat the Streets is opening a new chapter in Denver. Great time to donate and help outfit a new chapter!

ADVERTISEMENT