ADVERTISEMENT

WrestleStat is ready for the new season!

andegre

May 18, 2004
I have transitioned WrestleStat to the 2018 season. Rankings have been run, including the dual rankings (wow, check those out!).

I have not made many changes to the website yet this summer, but lots of work will be coming soon. Some highlights:

1) Reduced amount of ads (wow are they annoying!)
2) Ad-free version available for anyone that donates to WrestleStat
3) Ranking algorithm updates
4) Prediction engine algorithm updates
5) Numerous other bug fixes and little enhancements
6) A yet-to-be-disclosed brand new feature!!! (parterning with another wrestling entity to provide more data and features, more info in the coming months!)

As always, if there are any suggestions for enhancements/improvements for the site that you may have, feel free to email me at wrestlestat@gmail.com.

Thanks again to everyone that visits my site; it's been a long and fun project. 3 and a half years so far, and the site continues to gain momentum in the Wrestling world. Help spread the word to your other wrestling friends by sharing the site with them.

https://www.wrestlestat.com

Hey andegre, love your work. Just a quick question...what can you tell us about item #3, in laymen's terms. I'm (maybe others are too) interested in the tweaks to elo that may affect your ranking model. THANKS!!

I know it is so early, and these don't necessarily mean much yet, but how is Cutch ranked #2 at 197 with Kollin Moore two spots down at #4?

Hey andegre, love your work. Just a quick question...what can you tell us about item #3, in laymen's terms. I'm (maybe others are too) interested in the tweaks to elo that may affect your ranking model. THANKS!!
Good question.

In the previous couple of seasons, there was/is a large disparity between the top guys at each weight, vs "the rest of the pack". (See 285 and 149...top 2 guys Elo values compared to the 3rd place guy). Now I know these 2 examples don't necessarily apply, since those 2 guys are arguably the best 2 wrestlers in NCAA currently, NORMALLY, the #1, #2, etc guys should NOT have that much of a gap in Elo value compared to the rest (see 125 last year). These Elo values are inflated because of an early version of the ranking algorithm (2 years ago version).

Last year, there were changes (which were provided by a mathematician/engineer) to try and help "even it out" so there wasn't such a large gap. So, I/we (if that guy is still willing to help) are going to try and improve this even more.

I know it is so early, and these don't necessarily mean much yet, but how is Cutch ranked #2 at 197 with Kollin Moore two spots down at #4?
All based on end of year Elo values from the rankings system. Also, my previous response to roar also applies where the top wrestlers at each weight have slightly higher Elo values than they probably should (Renda).

Reactions: PSUoh90
All based on end of year Elo values from the rankings system. Also, my previous response to roar also applies where the top wrestlers at each weight have slightly higher Elo values than they probably should (Renda).

Preface, that you do an unbelievable job and your site has eclipsed trackwrestling for me as my goto site for college wrestling stats.

Question:
I don't get the reasoning behind why you have wrestlers listed at certain weights. Seems inconsistent for off season rankings.

Why is Carter Happel listed at 133 when he's never wrestled below 141 and wrestled 145 this spring? But then you have Pletcher at 141 when by all accounts he either wrestles 133 this season or takes a RS.

Jordan Kutler at 157 when he couldn't make weight for this last year and then just wrestled 176?

But then Renda at 197 when he started there last year during RS but dropped to 184 midway through the season. And the Valencia's moved up again I guess, just because?

Also, an unrelated question. How is Cory Keener ranked 159 when you have 4 full seasons of stats from him? Is this just a blip from switching teams - reset his stats?

Also, FYI, Kellen Stout transferring to Pitt.

Preface, that you do an unbelievable job and your site has eclipsed trackwrestling for me as my goto site for college wrestling stats.

Question:
I don't get the reasoning behind why you have wrestlers listed at certain weights. Seems inconsistent for off season rankings.

Why is Carter Happel listed at 133 when he's never wrestled below 141 and wrestled 145 this spring? But then you have Pletcher at 141 when by all accounts he either wrestles 133 this season or takes a RS.

Jordan Kutler at 157 when he couldn't make weight for this last year and then just wrestled 176?

But then Renda at 197 when he started there last year during RS but dropped to 184 midway through the season. And the Valencia's moved up again I guess, just because?

Also, an unrelated question. How is Cory Keener ranked 159 when you have 4 full seasons of stats from him? Is this just a blip from switching teams - reset his stats?

First, thank you! That's really cool that you/people (not "you people" :)) are referring to my site as your source! Makes all this work more satisfying.

Regarding the other weights:

The majority of these weights are a result of other WrestleStat users playing around with different lineups when the 2018 roster stuff was considered a "future" roster. (ie, during last season when I unveiled the future rosters, I urged people to go play around with different weights and lineups for fun).

Because of that, those weights are still set as other users changed them to. Now that we are "in" the 2018 season, they should probably get adjusted to the more-likely weights that they'll be wrestling this season.

If you come across anything like this for wrestlers (weight, or eligibility wrong), feel free to update them via the "Wrestler Edit" page. I have to rely on users making the changes themselves, or have them email me the changes that they think are needed, since I don't have time to surf through all rosters and figure out what weight wrestlers will be going for the upcoming season. If this is DURING the season, if a wrestler was assigned for a specific weight, but wrestles matches at a different weight, those guys get flagged as being potentially set at the wrong weight, then I can update them very quickly (I just have a button that says "switch to {different weight}".

Oh, I'll try to get those transfers updated today, and I'll need to research the Corey Keener ranking. Definitely does not sound right though...

Great site! I use it a lot. A question for you. Will you be changing your calculation on bonus rate percent in your update to account for forfeits? As you know, last year on your site a forfeit counted as a win for a wrestler, but only a decision when calculating bonus rate. Zain is an example of one such wrestler where this occurred.

Reactions: andegre

Question:

Wow, dice...you looked at the detail far more than I have...so far!!

I know you'll get an answer, andegre has always been forthcoming about such things, and is straight-up honest about mistakes too. Passing the info on, as you have, helps him a lot...and he'll make changes (such as Stout going to Pitt) pronto.

P.S. There'll be many weight class changes that we won't be sure of until the season starts, so that's one area that causes andegre to scramble a little as he gets each team's info correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: andegre
Great site! I use it a lot. A question for you. Will you be changing your calculation on bonus rate percent in your update to account for forfeits? As you know, last year on your site a forfeit counted as a win for a wrestler, but only a decision when calculating bonus rate. Zain is an example of one such wrestler where this occurred.

Yes, I believe this is on the radar.

Thank you. Will you count a forfeit as bonus or leave it out of the calculation altogether? I'm not against either method, and can see the merits of both.
Someone can correct me/confirm this, but I believe NCAA counts it as a bonus match since they'd receive the 6 dual points.

One of the features you added last year, which I loved, was the video links. Most of the links are now dead. I know it would be a pain, but is there any way to clean this up?

One of the features you added last year, which I loved, was the video links. Most of the links are now dead. I know it would be a pain, but is there any way to clean this up?
I actually just noticed this the other night, and was HUGELY disappointed. If I remember right, all those [now] dead links were originally uploaded via an "NCAAWrestling" username/account. ALL of the NCAA tournament match videos are now gone/dead because they were all from that same account. Huge bummer here.

Yes, those links need to be removed, will actually be really easy to do because it's mainly any match video that is for an NCAA tournament match (almost all anyway).

Thank you. Will you count a forfeit as bonus or leave it out of the calculation altogether? I'm not against either method, and can see the merits of both.

Someone can correct me/confirm this, but I believe NCAA counts it as a bonus match since they'd receive the 6 dual points.

Yes they do
Related...I forget how you handle MFOR's (Medical Forfeits) during mid-season tournaments...as far as affecting rankings. Are they removed?

Good idea putting up the donate button, maybe I missed it before. Appreciate the work you do and continue to do andegre. Donated.

Good idea putting up the donate button, maybe I missed it before. Appreciate the work you do and continue to do andegre. Donated.
Thank you very much.

(It's been there over a year ;))

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT