ADVERTISEMENT

WrestleStat duals...

PSUer1989

Feb 6, 2017
WrestleStat has PSU as the #1 tourney and dual team. It lists PSU as 76-0 in statistical dual matchups (including a 38-0 win over Iowa). Yet, when I did the head to head dual with the Buckeyes (the #2 team for both tourney and duals) it had PSU losing to the Buckeyes 17-20. I was just curious as to how on one page it puts PSU as 76-0 in duals, but then losing to tOSU. I am ready for the season to start already!

Last edited:
WrestleStat has PSU as the #1 tourney and dual team. It lists PSU as 76-0 in statistical Saul matchups (including a 38-0 win over Iowa). Yet, when I did the head to head dual with the Buckeyes (the #2 team for both tourney and duals) it had PSU losing to the Buckeyes 17-20. I was just curious as to how on one page it puts PSU as 76-0 in duals, but then losing to tOSU. I am ready for the season to start already!
I think this has been explained before but not sure what causes the discrepancy.

Btw, if we shut out Iowa this year I hope it's done on a holiday. I'd kinda like to come up with something catchy and for the rest of my life speak of the day in much the same way we refer to the "St. Valentines Day Massacre"...

I think this has been explained before but not sure what causes the discrepancy.

Btw, if we shut out Iowa this year I hope it's done on a holiday. I'd kinda like to come up with something catchy and for the rest of my life speak of the day in much the same way we refer to the "St. Valentines Day Massacre"...

that would be a great hashtag for iowa week. unfortunately, with the BJC schedule this might not be the case and I think Iowa would be a match the staff will want to see there.

If we shut out Iowa, doesn't that make it a holiday?

There's always Sunday Bloody Sunday. Team intro music by U2 and everything.

Since there is little chance that the Iowa dual will be on an actual holiday, none of which are on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday like wrestling duals are we will have to come up with a creative name like that. Of course, we may want to wait until we actually shut them out to name it.

Reactions: johnstownsteel

I think I'd be more partial to "Chopped In Half" by Obituary.

It will be at your place right.
Maybe to cut down on expenses Iowa could just
forefit it to you save the air fare etc. Also save on
Sorenson's shoulder..;)
No. The Hawks will take their beating, but they will go down swinging. The NatureNuts, give Coach Ryan a plane ticket to Aruba and he would probably agree to just mailing in a score.

Last edited:
No. The Hawks will take their beating, but the will go down swinging. The NatureNuts, give Coach Ryan a plane ticket to Aruba and he would probably agree to just mailing in a score.
Just like we went down swinging in 2015 - there were also several on HR and other sites predicting a blanking or near blanking that year and our guys came to wrestle - especially Hammond

Reactions: diggerpup
Just like we went down swinging in 2015 - there were also several on HR and other sites predicting a blanking or near blanking that year and our guys came to wrestle - especially Hammond
Cael's kids and Brands' kids show ready to kick someone's ass. There may be an occasion where someone is out manned or out gunned, but neither team generally gives an inch.

The fact you know the Hawks will show up attitude and all, is what makes the possibility of a shutout so damn exciting.

Cael's kids and Brands' kids show ready to kick someone's ass. There may be an occasion where someone is out manned or out gunned, but neither team generally gives an inch.

The fact you know the Hawks will show up attitude and all, is what makes the possibility of a shutout so damn exciting.
Over/Under on Buckeye starters sitting is 2 (3 if NATO starving himself at 125 all year)

The home schedule includes not just Iowa, but Ohio State and Minnesota too. Awesome for our fans, and with Rutgers and Maryland away, but close by, those that are local and willing to travel can see our guys a lot this coming year. Heck, Michigan and Michigan State (also away), are within driving distance.

The home schedule includes not just Iowa, but Ohio State and Minnesota too. Awesome for our fans, and with Rutgers and Maryland away, but close by, those that are local and willing to travel can see our guys a lot this coming year. Heck, Michigan and Michigan State (also away), are within driving distance.
Do you have/know the schedule Roar? I Googled it and looked on a few different sites and couldn't find it. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

Schedule announced in August, but one can observe the past few B1G seasons and determine which conference teams will be home, away or rotate off.

Reactions: Creek Side
No. The Hawks will take their beating, but they will go down swinging. The NatureNuts, give Coach Ryan a plane ticket to Aruba and he would probably agree to just mailing in a score.
Right, Hawks will show up and do there best but you guys just have to many studs plus Hawks will be not as strong at lower weights and we all know what Lions have from 149 to Hwt be a long nite for the Hawks.

PSU is just so loaded, and Iowa will be in bit of rebuild mode. 149 and 157 are 2 weights you would expect Iowa to win against everyone else in the country, so bad luck comes into play as well. You know Iowa will fight in pretty much every weight class. I hope we see a healthy Sam Stoll this year. Marinelli and Young are game and will be very fun to watch, and I wouldn't sleep on Phill Laux really over achieving this year. Iowa won't be a title threat, but still plenty of guys to cheer for in Iowa City.

PSU is just so loaded, and Iowa will be in bit of rebuild mode. 149 and 157 are 2 weights you would expect Iowa to win against everyone else in the country, so bad luck comes into play as well. You know Iowa will fight in pretty much every weight class. I hope we see a healthy Sam Stoll this year. Marinelli and Young are game and will be very fun to watch, and I wouldn't sleep on Phill Laux really over achieving this year. Iowa won't be a title threat, but still plenty of guys to cheer for in Iowa City.
Duals are, in part, about match-ups, and you're correct...2 of the Hawkeye's big guns are, unfortunately, at Zain and Jason's weights. My thoughts on 2017-18 for Iowa is that they won't be in the mix for the title, but will surprise many. I just don't see their 1-year fall to be as precipitous as some think..

WrestleStat has PSU as the #1 tourney and dual team. It lists PSU as 76-0 in statistical dual matchups (including a 38-0 win over Iowa). Yet, when I did the head to head dual with the Buckeyes (the #2 team for both tourney and duals) it had PSU losing to the Buckeyes 17-20. I was just curious as to how on one page it puts PSU as 76-0 in duals, but then losing to tOSU. I am ready for the season to start already!
Those dual records/rankings are based on the specified starters/lineups on the date that the rankings process ran. If the results for individual matches are different than what is stated in the dual rankings breakdown page, (ie dual rankings breakdown says PSU beats Iowa 38 - 0, but when you pull up the dual comparison page, it may show 32 - 3), then that is because there are starters for either teams has changed.

Rankings don't get updated nearly as often during the offseason, but maybe I'll re-run them on a monthly basis as we start to get a better idea of who the starters may be for each team.

Keep in mind, other fans may be changing starters for fun, and also my data guy, Obrats (Rutgers fan), literally goes through team-by-team on a CONSISTENT basis updating information as he researches teams. He's knows A LOT about east coast teams, and really most D1 teams in general, so he updates as he goes.

Edit: by the way, I pulled up the dual rankings breakdown page for Penn State to show the 76 - 0 predictions here:

https://www.wrestlestat.com/rankings/dual/60/penn-state

Also, here's the individual comparison for Penn State vs Ohio State to show the discrepancy:

https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/dual/60/penn-state/55/ohio-state

So, if the rankings were re-run right now, Penn State would show up with at least 1 loss, with the way the starters are currently set.

Those dual records/rankings are based on the specified starters/lineups on the date that the rankings process ran. If the results for individual matches are different than what is stated in the dual rankings breakdown page, (ie dual rankings breakdown says PSU beats Iowa 38 - 0, but when you pull up the dual comparison page, it may show 32 - 3), then that is because there are starters for either teams has changed.

Rankings don't get updated nearly as often during the offseason, but maybe I'll re-run them on a monthly basis as we start to get a better idea of who the starters may be for each team.

Keep in mind, other fans may be changing starters for fun, and also my data guy, Obrats (Rutgers fan), literally goes through team-by-team on a CONSISTENT basis updating information as he researches teams. He's knows A LOT about east coast teams, and really most D1 teams in general, so he updates as he goes.

Edit: by the way, I pulled up the dual rankings breakdown page for Penn State to show the 76 - 0 predictions here:

https://www.wrestlestat.com/rankings/dual/60/penn-state

Also, here's the individual comparison for Penn State vs Ohio State to show the discrepancy:

https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/dual/60/penn-state/55/ohio-state

So, if the rankings were re-run right now, Penn State would show up with at least 1 loss, with the way the starters are currently set.
NATO won't approach 11 points on Nick - he'll be lucky not to be leaking the proverbial oil by the 3rd if down at 125.

Reactions: diggerpup
In the absence of not a lot of wrestling news, seeing potential match-ups of tOSU vs PSU is fun to look at. The wrestlestat predictions go about as well as they could in tOSU's favor. As already commented--no way Tomasello MDs Suriano--not clear he even wins. The only projection that went a little in PSU's favor was picking Bo over Martin by MD. But, since Bo has pinned him before, that's not unrealistic. Best case scenario--tOSU wins by 3. More realistically. . . I like PSU's chances pretty well. But, it should be a great dual--PSU's toughest of the year!

ADVERTISEMENT