ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestlers in need of new mat after CA fires

West2East - thanks for passing this on

Friends, I live in the extended area many miles from the flames, but close enough to be socked into two weeks of chocking smoke as thick as the heaviest fog you'll see anywhere.

Picture the worst devistation imaginable multiply it by 10x and it won't touch with what these folks have to deal with.

Freinds, family members, neighbors with too little notice trapped, with so many tragic results. Many lost in the most horrific ways possible.

This is a rural area, secluded in the pines, with a very fragile economy, few good employment options, and only a 2% housng vacancy rate before the fire for 20 miles in all directions.

10,000+ houses lost. Think of that. There are not enough construction workers in the nearest 10 states to rebuild what was lost for many years to come. There are not enough beds in hotels and appartments for 2 hours in any direction to accommodate the people displaced.

Many have to simply walk away with an insurance check while many more walk away with just the money in their pockets and then try to start a new life somewhere else.

It will take them decades to recover. I am sure a case can be made to simply close up shop and let nature reclaim what was once Paradise CA.

To hear there is a wrestling team perservering through all of this is inspiring. I believe the high school was one of only one or two structures that survived.

In view of the tragedy a wrestling mat may sound silly and frankly useless. But something like a mat represents 'normalcy' it shows they can recover some of what was important to them. More symbolic than practical, but a powerful symbol at that.

What would be awesome is if we could get this community together maybe FLO, HR and others to get them not only a new mat but also new headgear, footwear, singlets, athletic bags, everything.. so, that team can step on the mat with a fresh start, a testament to resiliency.

Most of you know the heart of a wrestler as somebody who works incredibly hard and never gives up. You have the comradery of a team but you have to deliver alone on the mat. Most of these people are fighting their way back individually. it's great to show them that the wrestling community is a larger team, and a brotherhood that extends Nationwide.

Went to a tournament up North a few weeks ago and they were doing a 50/50 raffle for the Paradise wrestling team...cool to see the wrestling community put others before themselves during one of their own fundraisers!

I believe the high school was one of only one or two structures that survived.

Most of the HS survived, but it was inaccessible when the district reopened on Dec. 3. The HS is not re-opening before the Christmas holiday. Students are completing assignments online, and can gather at the Chico mall where the high school has set up a drop-in location (where they can talk with teachers, or meet with other students).

Yes Sir. Let's EVERYONE get on board and donate...Hope all the NLC members and ALL others help out as much as possible !!!
Suggestions - take your pledge to Wrestling for Life and donate it to this cause instead. I have a feeling that GG will consider your slate cleaned.

I'm sure most everyone would like to see you address this before we see any more posts on Gavin, Robbie , Edmond or even Tom.

Yes that's awesome glad the word got around the kids deserve it after all theyve been thru

Anybody know someone that works at Resilite? I bet they would step up if they were contacted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT