ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestlers honored at Penn State's season-ending awards banquet

Good to see the staff handing out academic awards as well. BTW Tim, you might double check your summary of our All-Americans. I'm pretty sure NN didn't take home a national championship at heavyweight.

I haven't tried to answer this with my own #maff yet, but about:

"With 17 pins on the year, Retherford won the Bill Koll Award for leading the team in the falls category. He earned the Joe Scalzo Award for scoring the most team points (176.5) and won the award for Most Bonus Points Scored by tallying a total of 58.5 throughout the 2017-18 season."

Do those two totals use Dual Meet points & Tourney points when applicable? Has anybody charted these out yet? tia

"With 17 pins on the year, Retherford won the Bill Koll Award for leading the team in the falls category. He earned the Joe Scalzo Award for scoring the most team points (176.5) and won the award for Most Bonus Points Scored by tallying a total of 58.5 throughout the 2017-18 season."

Do those two totals use Dual Meet points & Tourney points when applicable? Has anybody charted these out yet? tia
Just did a quick tally for the second award. It is based on total bonus, duals and tournies.

Just did a quick tally for the second award. It is based on total bonus, duals and tournies.
And I did a quickish look at Team Points...it's a total of Dual Meet Points (I believe 77), plus Tournament Points from the Classic, Scuffle, Big Ten's and NCAA's...pretty sure.

I know PSU will return a lot of hammers with the "wow" factor, but I believe the trait that we'll miss the most is the consistency of Zain. It is very rare and I'm just glad I had the pleasure of watching him over these last few years in blue and white. Thank you ZR and the best of luck in your quest for World and Olympic gold!!

I know PSU will return a lot of hammers with the "wow" factor, but I believe the trait that we'll miss the most is the consistency of Zain. It is very rare and I'm just glad I had the pleasure of watching him over these last few years in blue and white. Thank you ZR and the best of luck in your quest for World and Olympic gold!!
had a chance to tell him how much we've enjoyed watching him his 5 yrs. at ps at the scholarship dinner friday night. the nicest, humblest young man you'd ever want to talk with. he will be missed.

Reactions: papa_ed
And I did a quickish look at Team Points...it's a total of Dual Meet Points (I believe 77), plus Tournament Points from the Classic, Scuffle, Big Ten's and NCAA's...pretty sure.
I’m not interested in doing any math, but I’d have assumed it was the numerator in the most dominant calculation.

I’m not interested in doing any math, but I’d have assumed it was the numerator in the most dominant calculation.
No, it's not. The numerator for Most Dominant Wrestler does not consider points from tournaments in the way you're thinking. It's simply 6 points for a Fall, MFF, INJDEF, DQ win, 5 points for a Tech Fall, 4 points for a Major and 3 for a Decision, regardless of whether the bout was in a dual or a tournament. Similarly, a loss of any kind and the same points are deducted from the total (6 for losing by Fall or MFF, INJDEF, DQ), 5 for losing by TF, etc. Zain's 5.19 means he AVERAGED better than a Tech Fall this season. Equally amazing, we had the 2nd place finisher (Bo at 4.81), the 5th place finisher (Mark at 4.52), and the 6th place finisher (Jason at 4.37). Jason's finish is astonishing, in that the INJDEF from the Rutgers Dual, meant a SUBTRACTION of 6 points from his total before dividing by the number of matches. Assuming at least a Major in that bout, and it's worth an extra .37 points to his Most Dominant Wrestler calculation.

For Zain; Eighteen 6-point wins, plus five 5-point wins, plus four 4-point wins, plus four 3-point wins equals 161 points. 161 divided by 31 bouts equals 5.19.

Last edited:
No, it's not. The numerator for Most Dominant Wrestler does not consider points from tournaments in the way you're thinking. It's simply 6 points for a Fall, MFF, INJDEF, DQ win, 5 points for a Tech Fall, 4 points for a Major and 3 for a Decision, regardless of whether the bout was in a dual or a tournament. Similarly, a loss of any kind and the same points are deducted from the total (6 for losing by Fall or MFF, INJDEF, DQ), 5 for losing by TF, etc. Zain's 5.19 means he AVERAGED better than a Tech Fall this season. Equally amazing, we had the 2nd place finisher (Bo at 4.81), the 5th place finisher (Mark at 4.52), and the 6th place finisher (Jason at 4.37). Jason's finish is astonishing, in that the INJDEF from the Rutgers Dual, meant a SUBTRACTION of 6 points from his total before dividing by the number of matches. Assuming at least a Major in that bout, and it's worth an extra .37 points to his Most Dominant Wrestler calculation.

For Zain; Eighteen 6-point wins, plus five 5-point wins, plus four 4-point wins, plus four 3-point wins equals 161 points. 161 divided by 31 bouts equals 5.19.
Thanks, Roar! They’re free to do wherever they want for the award, but the bottom line is a mix of dual points and tourney points combines fundamentally different animals.

ADVERTISEMENT