ADVERTISEMENT

Wrap UP

a_mshaffer

Dec 8, 2014
summation.. and some thoughts
- Spencer - awesome. Heard words you don't usually hear but that was merely interesting. Regarding his knee's - couple of times when his opponent would push or drive into him he had to absorb vs pushing back... that is where his injury may be exposed during the trials.. There are few guys that can stand up to him and tie up.
- Nick - interesting Jaydin changed tactics and actually attempted a few shots. A change in tactics and it didn't work. Great scrambles where technique was displayed by both. I still want to see Jaydin and Seabass wrestle
- RBY - We know he is offensive but his O did slow in the last couple of matches. Simply decided to do what he had to do to win. Very controlled.
- Carter - amazing job at shutting Kem's offense down... Looking forw to his dominance on top next year!
- AB - should had the 2 backpoints and that would have changed the match and he would have had more TDs. I could have seen the last call be awarded a TD - that was close. Regardless, talk about controlling your breathing - AB does it.
- Kerk & RH - not much to say due to their circumstances. Cool to be able to see them wrestle.
- I thought the brackets broke down favorably for us in many cases. Too bad we couldn't take advantage of some.... Have to feel for Brady, Joe, and Mike.

- 6th or 7th year.... has to be tough on a kid... if you know where you are at on the Sr freestyle circuit sticking around has to be tough.. The training, DIET, and not moving on with life - getting a job with good income... etc.

- Commentary of wrestlers - we all speculate but unless you've been there yourself and are their parent/coach we don't know what adversary they are dealing with. Thus - just getting there is unbelievable. That is why we're always clamoring for more inside info (Cael :) )

- Stalling on top. Has turned into a cat and mouse game with positioning so critical for breakdowns and tilts- making it hard to determine who is really stalling if not both. I do want to see the hanging with the claw ride called more often.... Often it is choking and should be looked at.

- Stanford Sucks

- Great to take shots at people - all in fun - like with the Brands bros - but most of these kids and coaches are way above the people making the comments.

Regarding your comment about the riding/stalling and also your comment about RBY's offense slowing down some, my comments are similar. Obviously as the quality of your opponent improves, the number of clear/easy shots will decrease and it's not surprising that RBY didn't play catch and release with Fix as he has with some others. Likewise, when you get to that quality of opponent, it becomes harder and harder to ride them and MUCH harder to turn them. Even Nick Lee didn't try to ride Eierman, which is a testimony to the respect he had for Eierman's bottom game.

I also get really tired of seeing refs jump all over a guy who happens to go off the mat, though he WAS defending a shot or jumping all over a guy who's "on the legs" from the top position but wrestling his way up frantically. Sometimes depending on the quality of the opponent and what he's doing to you, it's not always automatic to get back above the waist even when you're trying. I guess I'm glad that the NCAA is trying to limit the stalling and trying to make it a more offensive sport, but as has been said frequently, a good ref should know stalling when he sees it and not need these all encompassing rules that sometime trap a guy who's NOT stalling.

Regarding your comment about the riding/stalling and also your comment about RBY's offense slowing down some, my comments are similar. Obviously as the quality of your opponent improves, the number of clear/easy shots will decrease and it's not surprising that RBY didn't play catch and release with Fix as he has with some others. Likewise, when you get to that quality of opponent, it becomes harder and harder to ride them and MUCH harder to turn them. Even Nick Lee didn't try to ride Eierman, which is a testimony to the respect he had for Eierman's bottom game.

I also get really tired of seeing refs jump all over a guy who happens to go off the mat, though he WAS defending a shot or jumping all over a guy who's "on the legs" from the top position but wrestling his way up frantically. Sometimes depending on the quality of the opponent and what he's doing to you, it's not always automatic to get back above the waist even when you're trying. I guess I'm glad that the NCAA is trying to limit the stalling and trying to make it a more offensive sport, but as has been said frequently, a good ref should know stalling when he sees it and not need these all encompassing rules that sometime trap a guy who's NOT stalling.
A good ref should not be intimidated by a coach to call stalling on their opponent either. That seems to be a problem too. Maybe make a rule where coaches can coach but not officiate verbally until a brick is thrown. Manning, Brands bros, and Smith would have to change professions. I can tolerate The Brands bros and Smith myself, just sayin.

ADVERTISEMENT