ADVERTISEMENT

Wow, what a talent disparity between PSU and that Power House Purdue.....

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
Purdue is 12th in the B10 (14) and PSU 2nd in evaluating the recruiting ranking for the projected starting lineups.

Wow, Wow, Wow!!!

It is a huge difference but no Big Ten coach has done less with more than James Franklin. I have this one down as a loss.

Reactions: manilion
See you September 2nd, that is if u got the guts to show up on here

Still waiting to see that big bet you were going to place on Purdue.

Never heard of a fan saying "if you show up here" to an actual regular poster. While I seldom agree with Wally, he at least states an opinion.

You antagonize like a troll. The Iowa posters were better conversation than you.

• Haha
Reactions: GregInPitt
It is a huge difference but no Big Ten coach has done less with more than James Franklin. I have this one down as a loss.
Actually during most years Franklin has done more with less; 2016 immediately comes to mind. I suspect you’d go through withdrawal if you couldn’t post at least one negative post about Franklin each day.

Actually during most years Franklin has done more with less; 2016 immediately comes to mind. I suspect you’d go through withdrawal if you couldn’t post at least one negative post about Franklin each day.

I'd say being fair, Franklin was better/worse/push in these years:

'14 better
'15 push
'16 better
'17 better
'18 better
'19 better
'20 worse
'21 worse

Either way, the sky is not falling the way you keep singing it!

Most actual fans save their crying until the team actually loses a game. Especially against teams where PSU clearly has a talent advantage. But you, if you even are an actual PSU fan, must want to get the crying out of the way early.

As I said, your crying threads are ridiculous.

669830621-img.jpg

51KZ4RVBFZL.jpg

Last edited:

'14 better
'15 push
'16 better
'17 better
'18 better
'19 better
'20 worse
'21 worse
This is more accurate.

'14 worse
'15 worse
'16 push
'17 push
'18 worse
'19 push
'20 worse
'21 worse

Other than a couple of years with O'Brien's lions (16, 17) he has done worse, some years considerably so with the exception of 2019.

'14 better
'15 push
'16 better
'17 better
'18 better
'19 better
'20 worse
'21 worse
Not sure what some of the "fans" here are smoking. Franklin has never had a roster that averages top 10 recruiting classes, yet he has finished in the top 10 3 times according to the AP (2016, 2017 and 2019). Has he even had a roster that averages top 15 recruiting classes?

But yes, he has had the talent to dominate the lesser programs in the B10, which for the most part he has.

He has never had a roster that stacks up versus oh-high-ya, yet he has beaten them. But he has lost to some schools he should have beaten (but not Purdue), mainly due to a roster that too many times can not fight through key injuries due to lack of quality and/or prepared depth.

As Joe used to say, the other team is trying to win too.....

Not sure what some of the "fans" here are smoking. Franklin has never had a roster that averages top 10 recruiting classes, yet he has finished in the top 10 3 times according to the AP (2016, 2017 and 2019). Has he even had a roster that averages top 15 recruiting classes?

But yes, he has had the talent to dominate the lesser programs in the B10, which for the most part he has.

He has never had a roster that stacks up versus oh-high-ya, yet he has beaten them. But he has lost to some schools he should have beaten (but not Purdue), mainly due to a roster that too many times can not fight through key injuries due to lack of quality and/or prepared depth.

As Joe used to say, the other team is trying to win too.....
The Perdue game will come down to the PSU defense vs Perdue offense. Perdue's QB is excellent and if his receivers can get open and control the tempo, Perdue wins. If PSU can get constant pressure on O'Connell, manage a few key sacks, then PSU should come out with a close win. Brohm's offensive mind vs Diaz is what this comes down to. At this juncture I am unable to expect any offensive prowess from PSU. I hope to be surprised and see a running game that was absent last season. RB success must occur for PSU to win many games this year.

Being a 3 point favorite against Purdue says everything you need to know about the faith people have in Franklin. NONE.
Actually being a 3 point favorite says nothing about what "people's" faith, but all about what bookies are willing to set as the betting line. And preseason betting lines are influenced partially by what a team's record was the previous year. A year when Purdue over achieved and PSU under achieved. Purdue finished tied for 2nd in the B10 West, and they may very well do that again in 2022. So the fact that playing at Purdue against a Purdue team with most of it's team returning PSU is still a favorite even coming off a very disappointing season might just say something positive about Franklin and the young talent he has recruited.

Just depends on whether you are a glass half full or glass half empty "fan".....
Cheers!

Reactions: bison13
The Perdue game will come down to the PSU defense vs Perdue offense. Perdue's QB is excellent and if his receivers can get open and control the tempo, Perdue wins. If PSU can get constant pressure on O'Connell, manage a few key sacks, then PSU should come out with a close win. Brohm's offensive mind vs Diaz is what this comes down to. At this juncture I am unable to expect any offensive prowess from PSU. I hope to be surprised and see a running game that was absent last season. RB success must occur for PSU to win many games this year.
If you remember how last season started, with Clifford healthy and the defense playing decent against the run before Mustipher was lost for the season, PSU's offense was playing reasonably well scoring at key times against Wisky and Auburn, and heading towards a blowout of Iowa at Iowa.

That was with an OL that was pretty underachieving and a less than stellar running game. I believe we have reason to believe that PSU's offense will take at least some steps forward in the 2nd year with Yurcich as well as some young talent starting on the OL together with an influx of talented skill players. Purdue gave up 59 to oh-high-ya last season, a lot more than PSU even without Mustipher and a banged up Clifford.

And which teams running game should be expected to improve from last season? Does Purdue have a room full of 4 and 5 star RB's? From a recent article:

In 13 games this past year, the Nittany Lions failed to produce a 100-yard rusher. By the end of the season, Penn State ranked next to last in yards rushing per game with 107.8, with only Purdue (84.2 yards rushing per game) faring worse in the category.

It should be an interesting game. Likely a close game, which are the most fun games to win.

Last edited:
Reactions: psuaxe70
Actually being a 3 point favorite says nothing about what "people's" faith, but all about what bookies are willing to set as the betting line. And preseason betting lines are influenced partially by what a team's record was the previous year. A year when Purdue over achieved and PSU under achieved. Purdue finished tied for 2nd in the B10 West, and they may very well do that again in 2022. So the fact that playing at Purdue against a Purdue team with most of it's team returning PSU is still a favorite even coming off a very disappointing season might just say something positive about Franklin and the young talent he has recruited.

Just depends on whether you are a glass half full or glass half empty "fan".....
Cheers!
Setting the line has everything to do with people's faith. They are set to ensure roughly equal amounts of money are bet on each side. That is why they adjust as bets are made if too much comes down on one side. Those other factors are considered by the bettor but ultimately the majority don't risk money on an outcome unless they are confident they will win. How much money would you risk if the line favored PSU by 14?

Your point of view is to try and belittle Penn State fans? Are you a Pitt fan?
Penn State fans don't need Pitt fans to belittle them, they have a hoard of their own fans that get their rocks off belittling each other. PSU fans do this on an hourly basis.

Reactions: Delcolion915
If you remember how last season started, with Clifford healthy and the defense playing decent against the run before Mustipher was lost for the season, PSU's offense was playing reasonably well scoring at key times against Wisky and Auburn, and heading towards a blowout of Iowa at Iowa.

That was with an OL that was pretty underachieving and a less than stellar running game. I believe we have reason to believe that PSU's offense will take at least some steps forward in the 2nd year with Yurcich as well as some young talent starting on the OL together with an influx of talented skill players. Purdue gave up 59 to oh-high-ya last season, a lot more than PSU even without Mustipher and a banged up Clifford.

And which teams running game should be expected to improve from last season? Does Purdue have a room full of 4 and 5 star RB's? From a recent article:

In 13 games this past year, the Nittany Lions failed to produce a 100-yard rusher. By the end of the season, Penn State ranked next to last in yards rushing per game with 107.8, with only Purdue (84.2 yards rushing per game) faring worse in the category.

It should be an interesting game. Likely a close game, which are the most fun games to win.
Again, I believe this game hinges on being able to control O'Donnell. If he has too much time and is hitting his passes, it opens up their running game (though less than stellar) enough to cause PSU problems.

Reactions: MrDibbs
A coaches worth and abilities are most apparent vs. ranked opponents.

Franklin, with his top 15 talent, has a record of 11-20 with only two wins on the road.
Offense averages 25 pts a game and the defense gives up almost 30 pts. in those games.

His B1G record is 42-27 but only 22-24 vs anybody but Rutgers, Maryland, and Indiana.

No excuses in 2022. Anything under 9 wins is a disappointment with the second best talent in the league and rating that is closer to O$U than Michigan (#3) is to PSU!

I think Purdue is going to win. Purdue beat Michigan State and Iowa last year, both were better than we were. They are at home on a Friday night. We have a new DC and new linebackers whose tendencies can be exploited.

No mention of Wisconsin?

No mention of Wisconsin?
Wisconsin was meh last year from start to finish. In all honesty, they did more to lose the opener than we did to win it. Don't really care about them. The team we most compare to from last year is Michigan State. Sparty had better coaches but runs comparable systems and had comparable talent, except Kenneth Walker who was the best player in the country by a wide margin.

I guess we're not going to see you? What happened to your "guts"???

Is it September 2nd on your calendar?

Wow, you still have 10 hours to find "the guts to show up on here"

Wow, wow, double-wow .....

Last edited:
Reactions: AWS1022
No excuses in 2022. Anything under 9 wins is a disappointment with the second best talent in the league and rating that is closer to O$U than Michigan (#3) is to PSU!
If you read the OSU boards - especially Eleven Warriors - many OSU fans this year think their hardest game will be in Happy Valley - PSU......not Michigan (which is in Ohio Stadium in 2022).

They had a similar poll about a month ago on Eleven Warriors and PSU was the runaway winner. For that to happen, my gut feeling is that PSU will need to get their running game going - in a big upgrade from what I saw at Purdue last night. If they don't, that OSU DL will just tee off on Clifford all night.

I think Purdue is going to win. Purdue beat Michigan State and Iowa last year, both were better than we were. They are at home on a Friday night. We have a new DC and new linebackers whose tendencies can be exploited.
Well, maybe Purdue will pull it out tonight (Friday night) but JF and PSU won when it counted on Thursday night!!!!! 😉😊

Last edited:
Reactions: GregInPitt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT