ADVERTISEMENT

WOW we lost to another Michigan team

walleye38

Jul 29, 2003
Maybe we should have given Franklin a 20 yr. contract. What is better than gong 7-5 or 8-4 every year. What a waste of money.

Share the frustration. Remember when beating BC in Pinstripe Bowl felt so good? This is the opposite of that. Time for James to focus only on Penn State football and not other opportunities. The rebuild starts now.

Reactions: PSUEngineer89
Share the frustration. Remember when beating BC in Pinstripe Bowl felt so good? This is the opposite of that. Time for James to focus only on Penn State football and not other opportunities. The rebuild starts now.
Rebuild is the name of the game. The entire roster needs to be rebuilt in order to compete with our two coordinators. We are three recruiting classes from building an offense line capable of sustaining a the running game needed to win in November under the current coordinator. We have two more smurfs in the mix but continue to whiff on the big downfield receiver that is necessary for Yurcich's offense to be effective. We are two classes away from accumulating enough defensive line talent to play the 4-3 Pry insists on playing.

Agreed. No more bullshit about "other opportunities" from Franklin.

None. Zero. Period.

Get to work fixing the flaws.

I don't want to hear from the fanboys that Franklin is "holding PSU up for his assistant's pay or better facilities so we can recruit and develop". That CLEARLY was not what was being negotiated. Franklin's pay was being negotiated. Period.

I don't want to hear any nonsensical reply, "Well, you don't KNOW what else was discussed" - you can always say that. But we can not have perfect proof, without a recorder, of what was discussed. We use Occam's razor. The simplest explanation is that Franklin held things up for a better contract. Period.

Now that's done. Time to get to work.

Reactions: drpops and maxoscar
Agreed. No more bullshit about "other opportunities" from Franklin.

None. Zero. Period.

Get to work fixing the flaws.

I don't want to hear from the fanboys that Franklin is "holding PSU up for his assistant's pay or better facilities so we can recruit and develop". That CLEARLY was not what was being negotiated. Franklin's pay was being negotiated. Period.

I don't want to hear any nonsensical reply, "Well, you don't KNOW what else was discussed" - you can always say that. But we can not have perfect proof, without a recorder, of what was discussed. We use Occam's razor. The simplest explanation is that Franklin held things up for a better contract. Period.

Now that's done. Time to get to work.
Agree! Franklin deepsixed the team mid season to extract more pay for himself. Last year he was distracted by covid's affect on his family...so 2 years in a row the team is subject to Franklin's non commitment, and it showed!

Agree! Franklin deepsixed the team mid season to extract more pay for himself. Last year he was distracted by covid's affect on his family...so 2 years in a row the team is subject to Franklin's non commitment, and it showed!
I don't think it's fair to say he "deep-sixed" the team. I'm sure he thought he was doing everything he could with the team, while negotiating a better deal for himself.

Of course, we all tell ourselves lies that make us feel better. I'm sure Franklin is no different in this.

But now that's done. Time to get to work. No more talking contract for 4 years. None. Go if you want, but no more talking about it.

To his credit I like his personal priorities and the fact that he is not just some guy w
I don't think it's fair to say he "deep-sixed" the team. I'm sure he thought he was doing everything he could with the team, while negotiating a better deal for himself.

Of course, we all tell ourselves lies that make us feel better. I'm sure Franklin is no different in this.

But now that's done. Time to get to work. No more talking contract for 4 years. None. Go if you want, but no more talking about it.
I agree with this sentiment. Franklin's family priority is totally acceptable but also had an impact. This year there is no way that doing the mating ritual with other jobs did not distract him at least somewhat. I'm sure it was discussed with his wife and possibly the girls...they are old enough to have an opinion about where they want to live and possibly leaving their schools.

Enough of the posturing. For better or worse he is ours. Get to work. Plug the holes. Transfer portal was imperfect for us this year. Loss of Levis= significant. Gain of #17 was the high water mark. #54 was good. #68 played as well as he could. #10 made an impact vs. Auburn but cost us Michigan and due to whatever outside issues there were was not consistent...and therefore a distraction. #28 should have had his playing time to grow for the future.

We need to install some discipline in terms of celebrating after winning games instead of during them (#9 on d frustrates beyond belief here...getting burned badly in 3 of the past 4 games will hopefully cure that case of bobbleheading after a play only to get torched or flagged soon after). Good player and supposedly great kid...he sort of represents our inability to close. Lots of wonderful plays...but highlights don't always translate to wins.

There are a lot of solid programs who are in our boat. Have cousins who are from Seattle and UW people. Some Texas alums are in perpetual purgatory. USC was a school my son looked at and he lived there one Summer. I kind of root for the Trojans...trainwreck year in and out. Nebraska speaks for itself.

Luckily my sister and daughter went to Wake. Who ever would think that they would be my best football option? Beat Pitt!

James Franklin has done an excellent job of taking care of James Franklin. Good for him. But Franklin knows we are losing a lot this year. He has guarenteed himself "immunity" while he rebuilds the next few years. Smart man. Nobody inks a no cut contract if they think their worth will be increasing the next few years.

I hope he is successful. Kick ass James and the existing facilities will be just fine. Kids want to win and get into the league. Not everyone is Oregon - that's their brand not ours.

James Franklin has done an excellent job of taking care of James Franklin. Good for him. But Franklin knows we are losing a lot this year. He has guarenteed himself "immunity" while he rebuilds the next few years. Smart man. Nobody inks a no cut contract if they think their worth will be increasing the next few years.

I hope he is successful. Kick ass James and the existing facilities will be just fine. Kids want to win and get into the league. Not everyone is Oregon - that's their brand not ours.
It DOES smell like, "James Franklin has done an excellent job of taking care of James Franklin."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT