ADVERTISEMENT

WOW...Malzahn fired at Auburn.....

Maybe the'll back a dump truck full of money on Franklin's driveway and we can hire Matt Campbell, Bronco Mendenhall or bring back Bill O'Brien. All would be upgrades.
Why not all three? We can rotate them and see who has the hot hand. LOL

Reactions: AWS1022
Yep.

The knock on Malzahn isn't his inability to beat Saban. He's actually done that better than anybody -- including LSU or Georgia.

The knock on Malzahn is the penchant for losing bowl games and dropping random games he probably shouldn't. Though in his defense, the majority of his losses were against ranked teams. Until this year, they haven't lost many games against unranked teams. A few here and there, but not a ton.

As strong as the SEC West has been over the past decade, his record at Auburn is admirable. It's definitely a gamble to fire him in thinking you can do better. Particularly with Bama being Bama, Georgia being Georgia, and Texas A&M getting better.
If bowl games were the measure, all Big10 coaches over past 5 decades would have been toast (less one).

First, I don't why all the surprise. There have been whispers for the past few seasons.

Second, his records at Auburn -
12-2
8-5
7-6
8-5
10-4
8-5
9-4
6-4
2-5 in bowl games including recently losses to Minny and UCF.
Not really that impressive. Would PSU fans be happy with these records?

Don't get caught in the trap of "records" they can be inflated playing bad OOC teams or even downgraded a bit because of not fault of a team own but by just having to play (LSU, Alabama, Texas AM, in the west) and at least a cross over game again UGA or UF each year. Coaching in the SEC West is no joke. Franklin would be lost in that division.

The GOAL is to make the CFP Playoffs (not 9 or 10 wins) and he took his team to the title game once and they lost in the de facto "playoff play in game" against UGA 2 years back, so he has hit MUCH "Higher Highs" than Franklin.

Also dont forgot he was 90% of the brains behind their NC back when Newton was the QB, as Gene proved the following 2 years he was a clueless joke. Gus ran the show that year, any Auburn fan will tell you that. So put that other feather in Gus's cap.

Just for sh*ts and giggles he coached 1 year at Central Arkansas , went 7-1 in their conference, WON the confrence, and their bowl game. He has proven he can coach at any level.

Just to put a cherry on this, Please name me how many active college heads BEAT Nick Saban's Alabama teams 3 (T-H-R-E-E) times. ??

3-Gus Malzahn, Les Miles 2-Hugh Freeze, Dabo Swinney 1-Mack Brown, David Cutcliffe, Kirk Ferentz, Ed Orgeron, Kevin Sumlin, Kyle Whittingham

Gus is the most under rated coach in the country. He is an Elite level coach.

Some of these names are non-starters. An SEC school, other than Vandy, is not going to hire anyone who is not from the south with deep SEC ties. Anyone who does not have these things on their resume, don't bother applying.
Nick Saben did well between LSU & Alabama from MSU.

Nick Lou was born in Fairmont and grew up in Monogah, a whopping 35 miles south of the Mason-Dixon Line.
Your point?? That part of the state knows they are in the south!! Just ask them

Why do you get to take out the first year
Fair point. Don't take out his best season at Auburn. Don't forget that it was 8 years ago either. The Auburn grad I know pointed that out to me right away.

Malzahn is due $ 21.7 million left on his contract. Per the terms of his exit clause.... he is due 50% of the total amount owed within 30 days of termination.The rest would be paid out in increments following 30 days etc. Not a bad deal at all for being terminated.....lol

Reactions: TheGLOV and psu00
Your point?? That part of the state knows they are in the south!! Just ask them

I'll pass. That would be like rasslin' with a pig. Guessin' that folks in Mississippi and Arkanasas don't consider the area around Fairmont to be part of Dixie.

I'll pass. That would be like rasslin' with a pig. Guessin' that folks in Mississippi and Arkanasas don't consider the area around Fairmont to be part of Dixie.
The last point though will be that part of WV has produced some pretty good coaches. Off the top of my head you have Nick, Jimbo, Dick Rod all from around that area. I think at least either a Tommy or Terry is from near there although that’s explainable considering their Dad
I don’t remember where Lou is from
Now throw in some that have moved on from different parts like a Joe Krivak, Jim Grobe and Bob Pruett
And there’s always Doc Holiday
There’s at least one more I am forgetting so help me out

The last point though will be that part of WV has produced some pretty good coaches. Off the top of my head you have Nick, Jimbo, Dick Rod all from around that area. I think at least either a Tommy or Terry is from near there although that’s explainable considering their Dad
I don’t remember where Lou is from
Now throw in some that have moved on from different parts like a Joe Krivak, Jim Grobe and Bob Pruett
And there’s always Doc Holiday
There’s at least one more I am forgetting so help me out

Lou Saban? Illinois.

Lou Saban? Illinois.
my Lou was Holtz born in WV. Now I dont know if that was because they lived in OH, but the hospital was over the line in WV or what the case was, but his place of birth is listed as Follansbee, WV which is in the Northern panhandle.

But I swear there is at least 1 more running around, and its not Tommy Groom

How does this thread, until now, not have a single Urban Meyer reference?

Gus is the most under rated coach in the country. He is an Elite level coach.

giphy.gif

Yep.

The knock on Malzahn isn't his inability to beat Saban. He's actually done that better than anybody -- including LSU or Georgia.

The knock on Malzahn is the penchant for losing bowl games and dropping random games he probably shouldn't. Though in his defense, the majority of his losses were against ranked teams. Until this year, they haven't lost many games against unranked teams. A few here and there, but not a ton.

As strong as the SEC West has been over the past decade, his record at Auburn is admirable. It's definitely a gamble to fire him in thinking you can do better. Particularly with Bama being Bama, Georgia being Georgia, and Texas A&M getting better.

Sorry to Hijack the thread but @NittanyIllinois but what do you think of our crossover matchup?
I haven't seen Illinois this season.

Sorry to Hijack the thread but @NittanyIllinois but what do you think of our crossover matchup?
I haven't seen Illinois this season.

Tough to say how Illinois responds without Lovie. They may be totally deflated......or they may come out with an energy and togetherness that could make them dangerous.

All things being equal, they suck. A lot.

They have a solid inside running game -- their OL is the strength of their team, though a few of their guys are hurt. They have some fast backs, though nobody with a lot of power. They have a solid WR -- a USC transfer -- and a few solid TEs. QB Brandon Peters is mobile and can throw, but he's been pretty poor all year. So, they have some nice talented pieces on offense, but the scheming has been poor and they've massively underperformed.

The defense plain sucks. Lovie as DC was a huge mistake. They go for strips on every play, missing a lot of tackles in the process. A few nice pieces, but the unit as a whole blows.

If both teams play at their average level, PSU wins by 14+.

my Lou was Holtz born in WV. Now I dont know if that was because they lived in OH, but the hospital was over the line in WV or what the case was, but his place of birth is listed as Follansbee, WV which is in the Northern panhandle.

But I swear there is at least 1 more running around, and its not Tommy Groom
Lou Holtz was from WV...also John McKay.

Getting back to Malzahn, has anyone been tracking flights between State College and Auburn, AL?

It’s going really well down at Auburn. The coach of Univ of Louisiana just turned them down.

Let’s count it down. Mario Cristobal is sticking with Oregon. Kevin Steele is not a candidate. Billy Napier isn’t a candidate. Steve Sarkisian wants Gus money — not a candidate. Tony Elliott is not a candidate. Maybe Brent Venables is a possibility, but it’s been super quiet there.

Lane Kiffin or bust

It’s going really well down at Auburn. The coach of Univ of Louisiana just turned them down.

Let’s count it down. Mario Cristobal is sticking with Oregon. Kevin Steele is not a candidate. Billy Napier isn’t a candidate. Steve Sarkisian wants Gus money — not a candidate. Tony Elliott is not a candidate. Maybe Brent Venables is a possibility, but it’s been super quiet there.

Lane Kiffin or bust

I would have thought that if you were going to get rid of your Head Coach, 2 weeks before signing day, and that has a HUGE buy out you would have already known and had a "wink/wink" deal with who you want to replace him. 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: katchthis
Tough to say how Illinois responds without Lovie. They may be totally deflated......or they may come out with an energy and togetherness that could make them dangerous.

All things being equal, they suck. A lot.

They have a solid inside running game -- their OL is the strength of their team, though a few of their guys are hurt. They have some fast backs, though nobody with a lot of power. They have a solid WR -- a USC transfer -- and a few solid TEs. QB Brandon Peters is mobile and can throw, but he's been pretty poor all year. So, they have some nice talented pieces on offense, but the scheming has been poor and they've massively underperformed.

The defense plain sucks. Lovie as DC was a huge mistake. They go for strips on every play, missing a lot of tackles in the process. A few nice pieces, but the unit as a whole blows.

If both teams play at their average level, PSU wins by 14+.
Looking back now, this is an underrated post. 👍

Lane Kiffin or bust
Bill Clark, the excellent head coach at UAB, has also apparently declined. These coaches all know how toxic Auburn is.

Don’t discount the possibility of that rumor coming out.

I heard that one already. I was listening to the CBS cover 3 podcast and they were talking about the South Carolina job and how the Louisville coach wanted it and referenced being closer to home and family in South Carolina. One of the guys said “I wonder if that means Franklin wound be a candidate for the Auburn job to be closer to his family in Florida”. It was a throw away line but I thought “here we go”

Reactions: AWS1022
I thought it was Hugh Freeze’s job for the taking.

Yep.

None of these other guys matter as long as Auburn pulls in Freeze. And I suspect they will.

Auburn has no qualms about hiring cheaters. None. Bruce Pearl says hello. And Freeze has hinted that while he's happy at Liberty, a special job may move him to leave.

This will be the "special" job. I imagine God will tell him in a dream that it's the right fit, or something.

Malzahn’s buyout is $21 million, and 50 percent is due within 30 days. Merry Xmas to him!

I'm old enough that I can remember when it was a big deal that a college head football coach got paid a higher salary than the average professor at the school. Now, a college head football coach's buyout is more than 100 times higher than the average salary of a professor at the school.

Reactions: sluggo72
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT